Canberra Raiders look to upgrade and extend contract for Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad signs two year deal with Canberra Raiders

Post by Botman »

I'd sure hate to be Dubby and Woodgers reading back on this thread! :lol:
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I read it back and im proud of myself for mocking dubby.
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Beejay wrote: July 23, 2019, 6:52 pm Last year the Raiders had 10 opportunities all season to escape the ingoal. We got out once.

This year, we’ve had 9 opportunities, and got out 6 times.
His positioning is incredible really. Really illistrates what a high IQ player he is. Reads the play very well and understands where he needs to be.
That helps so much in those situations where you're trying to get out of the ingoal area and it was a massive bane on contention i had with Wighton. We surrendered so many repeat sets and tries simply because Jack was out of position. CNK is on the money every time

If he can just develop his passing game in attack, he can be... well probably not as good as Ponga, Teddy or Tom T, but right in there there at the next teir. He's young and talented so i have high hopes. Wighton wasnt a great ball player when he first got to fullback and developed it nicely under Stuart.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Hindsight's 20/20. I don't disagree with Woodger's reasoning at the time, CNK just ended up killing it.

Even Beejay made the comment "Anyone who thinks he is the solution to fullback will be disappointed."

CNK just decided to shove it in everyone who doubted him's faces!

Dubby wishing CNK and Simmo never wear the Raiders jersey again after round 1 was a little harsh though....
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

RedRaider wrote:Wow - inspiring life story and growing as a top drawer NRL full back. Fantastic to see him focus on using and developing his footy talent. His level head is a tribute to himself and his family.
Yes 100% I hope we give him a good upgrade when it's time. This is a guy you want at the club until he retires. What a beautiful human being.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

PigRickman wrote: July 23, 2019, 7:48 pm
Beejay wrote: July 23, 2019, 6:52 pm Last year the Raiders had 10 opportunities all season to escape the ingoal. We got out once.

His positioning is incredible really. Really illistrates what a high IQ player he is. Reads the play very well and understands where he needs to be.
That helps so much in those situations where you're trying to get out of the ingoal area and it was a massive bane on contention i had with Wighton. We surrendered so many repeat sets and tries simply because Jack was out of position. CNK is on the money every time

If he can just develop his passing game in attack, he can be... well probably not as good as Ponga, Teddy or Tom T, but right in there there at the next teir. He's young and talented so i have high hopes. Wighton wasnt a great ball player when he first got to fullback and developed it nicely under Stuart.
It's going to be fun to watch. At the moment we have our spine $$$ skewed at hooker and 5/8 so I'm fine if we have a top 6 but not elite FB at a good price.

With Charnze though, his heart is bigger than the others in that list and I'll bet his work ethic is too. I wouldn't put a limit on it or him yet. I guess he lacks the truly electrifying pace of the others on that list but as you've said, his defensive qualities are hard to beat and almost hard to measure. What price escaping that dropout on momentum or making that tackle?

Adding a passing game will get him right up there. I wonder if he can continue forever with that gangbusters style though.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Passing game and his development of it aside, I'd really like to see him develop his support play and sniff up the ruck. At the moment he's evidently of little use on those sweep plays, so getting him to trail and sniff up the ruck with the amount of dummy half runs we make makes a lot more sense to me.

Whether that's something that Sticky would coach to I don't know, but it's something I see as being a helluva lot more profitable than trying to immediately shoehorn him into Jack's role.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: July 23, 2019, 8:45 pm Passing game and his development of it aside, I'd really like to see him develop his support play and sniff up the ruck. At the moment he's evidently of little use on those sweep plays, so getting him to trail and sniff up the ruck with the amount of dummy half runs we make makes a lot more sense to me.

Whether that's something that Sticky would coach to I don't know, but it's something I see as being a helluva lot more profitable than trying to immediately shoehorn him into Jack's role.
yeah that's a good suggestion, he is lacking as a ball player and his work rate is very good as is, his footwork is very good and his ball running is a strenght so he's ideally suited to be one of those guys who can take an offload and attack staggered lines and break tackles in open space in second phase.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

PigRickman wrote: July 23, 2019, 7:24 pm I'd sure hate to be Dubby and Woodgers reading back on this thread! :lol:
C'mon Nicko, it's nowhere in the realm of the **** kicking that you copped in that Cotric thread (and others) :lol:

I read what I wrote on page 5 and it wasn't that bad. I didn't bag the bloke, just spoke about how he was an unknown walking into a spine position. Admittedly I don't watch as much of the Warriors as other teams, but i'm sure i've read others are in the same boat as that too :D

Good on the kid, he's taking his chance nicely.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Lui_Bon wrote: February 8, 2019, 10:06 pm I saw him play a few games on tv and to be honest I thought he looked really good, smart, solid and dependable - may have been two years ago.
I love quoting myself!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

dubby wrote:Pretty stupid name. Charnze.

He'll either crash or burn. Let's hope he burns.

FTR i'm not a fan of Jack at 6. Dude was horrid in his last stint in the 6.

This will be a crap season when we've got a makeshift 6 and B grade fullback.

Oh well. Worst case we send Jack to 1 and Sam 7.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Oof..

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

BadnMean wrote: July 23, 2019, 8:40 pm
PigRickman wrote: July 23, 2019, 7:48 pm

It's going to be fun to watch. At the moment we have our spine $$$ skewed at hooker and 5/8 so I'm fine if we have a top 6 but not elite FB at a good price.

With Charnze though, his heart is bigger than the others in that list and I'll bet his work ethic is too. I wouldn't put a limit on it or him yet. I guess he lacks the truly electrifying pace of the others on that list but as you've said, his defensive qualities are hard to beat and almost hard to measure. What price escaping that dropout on momentum or making that tackle?

Adding a passing game will get him right up there. I wonder if he can continue forever with that gangbusters style though.
The good thing about Charnze’s game is his strengths are dependable skills. So many fullbacks have excellent seasons early on because of lightning speed or footwork but few can maintain it. Charnze is all about positioning and work ethic and reliability and heart. Those things aren’t going anywhere.

And I’m backing him in to be the type of guy to not stay satisfied and to work on his ball-playing to the point where it’s an important part of our attack.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

When is he getting upgraded??

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

The sooner we lock him up to an extension, the better I’ll sleep.
His stats are off the chart for a first year young fullback.
Not to mention his excellent positioning.
Anyone know if he actively marshals the defence from the back?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

-TW- wrote: July 23, 2019, 10:16 pm
dubby wrote:Pretty stupid name. Charnze.

He'll either crash or burn. Let's hope he burns.

FTR i'm not a fan of Jack at 6. Dude was horrid in his last stint in the 6.

This will be a crap season when we've got a makeshift 6 and B grade fullback.

Oh well. Worst case we send Jack to 1 and Sam 7.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Oof..

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk
To be fair on dubby here though, I can count on no fingers the amount of times he's been correct about anything rugby league, and this is just an extension of that.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

GreenMachine wrote: July 24, 2019, 8:45 am The sooner we lock him up to an extension, the better I’ll sleep.
This is literally a thread announcing a two year extension that you are posting in 🤔
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

GreenMachine wrote: July 24, 2019, 8:45 am The sooner we lock him up to an extension, the better I’ll sleep.
Not sure if it'll show up in the highlights but he was physically shoving our forwards to different sides of the ruck on our goal line as they were getting back. 2 players from one side onto the other as 3 of them tried to peel off on the same side.
Seems to be doing a good job of it for his first year.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I was calling for Wighton to 5/8 back in April last year. And filtered through fullback options throughout the year, Barba being a favourite option of mine, turns out he was even more of a **** bloke than i thought. Good fullback though.
If we were going to make a play for the top 4 with Wighton in the frontline, we needed a decent fullback.
To say i was skeptical of a reserve grade winger being successful as our best option for a full year at fullback is an understatement.
All the effort areas of his game are fantastic. I think he's dropped one kick all year, he's probably the safest fullback in the comp under the high ball. Absolutely love the bloke.

A question I asked in November last year which didn't get much traction at the time because there was still a fair bit of skepticism about Wighton being a 5/8;
How would our club have done in 2017 and 2018 if we had Austin at fullback and Wighton at 5/8 ?

Beejay wrote: November 5, 2018, 7:43 am
julian87 wrote: November 4, 2018, 6:39 pm
Beejay wrote: November 3, 2018, 8:00 am Jack Wighton has improved a heap as a first grade NRL player, and the raw talent he has keeps shining through.
As a fullback he’s bog average
He was by so far Canberra’s best player last season.
He played 13 games and was one of our best players in most of them, sure. But lets not get too excited. We only won 6 of those games, against the absolute worst teams.
Jack ran the ball strongly and in the sweep plays he made some good decisions for short and long passes, or to hang onto it and break tackles. His positional play at the back still wasn't up there with the best fullbacks.
He only scored 3 tries, while his try assists were above average at 8.

His stats paint a picture of a very average fullback. Nothing special. The only highlight being his 'average try assist per game' being second to only Tom Turbo.

The eye test tells me he is a strong runner of the ball, who can throw a well timed pass while reading the numbers. He broke tackles and got a pass away to set up more tries than he scored himself. He put great hits on in one-on-one situations. However his overall defensive reads at the back are up and down. His greatest weakness as a fullback is his positioning and decision making defending kicks. As well as his overall busy-ness in popping up in support of others.

Certainly not so brilliant at Fullback that I wouldn't move him. Personally I want him in the front line as a 5/8
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Woodgers wrote: July 23, 2019, 9:54 pm
PigRickman wrote: July 23, 2019, 7:24 pm I'd sure hate to be Dubby and Woodgers reading back on this thread! :lol:
C'mon Nicko, it's nowhere in the realm of the **** kicking that you copped in that Cotric thread (and others) :lol:
I dont know...

*Checks notes*

"This thread is the epitome of where this club is at in terms of recruitment."

"Yet people have already slotted this guy into starting fullback because he's played some NRL before at another club, albeit in a different position. He's already considered above what we have to most people because he has played NRL elsewhere, this happens over and over. "

"I'm just highlighting that the commentary in this thread is way over the top for the actual reality of the ability of the player we've just gained."

that is a spectacular self **** kicking, old friend :D
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and Ata Hingano take the initiative to attend junior training session: http://ow.ly/zzpL50v9HHL
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

BadnMean wrote: July 24, 2019, 10:28 am
This is literally a thread announcing a two year extension that you are posting in 🤔
I'd be taking steps to extend beyond 2 years, that is what I meant.

The 2 year deal will be for peanuts when compared to what he can get on the open market now that he is a known quantity.

The club should ensure he doesn't have his head turned.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

zim wrote: July 24, 2019, 10:37 am
Not sure if it'll show up in the highlights but he was physically shoving our forwards to different sides of the ruck on our goal line as they were getting back. 2 players from one side onto the other as 3 of them tried to peel off on the same side.
Seems to be doing a good job of it for his first year.
That's great to hear.
He has all the attributes to be a top class fullback.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

BadnMean wrote: July 24, 2019, 10:28 am
Its the original thread about his signing. Wheres the article about him extending or upgrading?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

PigRickman wrote: July 24, 2019, 10:39 am
Woodgers wrote: July 23, 2019, 9:54 pm
I dont know...

*Checks notes*

"This thread is the epitome of where this club is at in terms of recruitment."

"Yet people have already slotted this guy into starting fullback because he's played some NRL before at another club, albeit in a different position. He's already considered above what we have to most people because he has played NRL elsewhere, this happens over and over. "

"I'm just highlighting that the commentary in this thread is way over the top for the actual reality of the ability of the player we've just gained."

that is a spectacular self **** kicking, old friend :D
I went back through the thread and didn't find Woodger's comments overly negative about CNK. More being critical of some fans over-reaction to his signing given his lack of NRL pedigree. I thought the large majority of early comments by others were in the realm of 'cautious optimism'. Woodgers was inaccurate saying commentary was "way over the top". We had a vacancy at fullback with no clear 1st preference and CNK came into that mix. Other than that most of what Woodgers had posted was quite reasonable.
Last edited by Northern Raider on July 24, 2019, 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

On the topic of CNK himself, I saw on Fox Sports the other night they ranked the Top 10 Fullbacks. Think it was Rothfield's list. CNK was at number 5 with Teddy, Turbo, RTS and Ponga at positions 1-4. Great to see he's been recognised by the Sydney media and thats some seriously **** elite fullback talent ahead of him
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I love Woody, he's one of my favourite people. And im just teasing him as we like to do :D

His post basically chided up for being overly enthusiastic for this signing, which was not happening, as you say most were cautiously optimistic at best
and then lemented about how we're handing this guy a fullback job because he played for another club, which wasnt happening, he was being offered as a potential short term solution to some positional problems given Rap's injury and the fact we didnt know what we had in Simmo then.
and got stuck into the club for recruitment a talented, young player who filled some needs, and also that recruitment period ended up being CNK, Bateman, Simmonsen and Sutton...

Again, just some teasing of my old friend, but that's an ofer!
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Northern Raider wrote: July 24, 2019, 12:56 pm On the topic of CNK himself, I saw on Fox Sports the other night they ranked the Top 10 Fullbacks. Think it was Rothfield's list. CNK was at number 5 with Teddy, Turbo, RTS and Ponga at positions 1-4. Great to see he's been recognised by the Sydney media and thats some seriously **** elite fullback talent ahead of him
Yeah I saw that.

That's what I mean...he is already statistically in the top 5 fullbacks.

You would think we would be wise to extend him on a longer term deal that ensured he was happy financially to prevent him being poached.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

GreenMachine wrote: July 24, 2019, 1:10 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 24, 2019, 12:56 pm On the topic of CNK himself, I saw on Fox Sports the other night they ranked the Top 10 Fullbacks. Think it was Rothfield's list. CNK was at number 5 with Teddy, Turbo, RTS and Ponga at positions 1-4. Great to see he's been recognised by the Sydney media and thats some seriously **** elite fullback talent ahead of him
Yeah I saw that.

That's what I mean...he is already statistically in the top 5 fullbacks.

You would think we would be wise to extend him on a longer term deal that ensured he was happy financially to prevent him being poached.
I reckon they will come to some arrangement. Might have to see what happens with the current roster before that gets decided. Rapana and Sezer situations will the the key.
robtheraider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Chris O'Sullivan

Post by robtheraider »

against the panthers one of the forwards was a but late to get to the goal line and was in a straight line to be adjacent to the goal posts and play the ball... CNK literally grabbed him by the scruff of the jersey and threw him to where the gap was in the middle of the posts.

so i'd say yeah, he actively marshals the defence from the back :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
To all the people with telekinetic powers...please raise my hand.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

PigRickman wrote: February 11, 2019, 7:28 am
julian87 wrote: February 11, 2019, 6:54 am
Woodgers wrote: February 10, 2019, 9:18 pm Mate most people have given him the #1 already. How is that not overly excited?
I don’t think people thinking he’s likely better than Brad Abbey is them getting excited.
Exactly.
He's a talented kid and is probably better than who we are going to line up at #1 without him.
I think im probably one of the posters whose most excited by this and my enthusiasm is capped at "cool, this guy is talented and hopefully he ends up being a pretty solid Michael Oldfield type player. Which would be better than Abbey"

And im not even THAT down on Abbey either
Selective posting Pig, but in any event I talked about supporting the bloke and queried him just walking straight into the side, which is reasonable. Obviously he turned up and impressed with his work ethic amongst other things and got in there but you find me a bloke who recognised we'd have the fullback we have now after 7 appearances on the wing for the Warriors, and i'll find you a bloke that would be happy if he was at Oldfield level :D .

Anyhow deal me out. The last thing i'm looking for is a petty online squabble to wreck a thread about a bloke who could potentially take the Meninga Medal from the clouds.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Woodgers wrote: July 24, 2019, 1:18 pm Selective posting Pig, but in any event I talked about supporting the bloke and queried him just walking straight into the side, which is reasonable. Obviously he turned up and impressed with his work ethic amongst other things and got in there but you find me a bloke who recognised we'd have the fullback we have now after 7 appearances on the wing for the Warriors, and i'll find you a bloke that would be happy if he was at Oldfield level :D .
Love ya big guy :D
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

robtheraider wrote: July 24, 2019, 1:12 pm
against the panthers one of the forwards was a but late to get to the goal line and was in a straight line to be adjacent to the goal posts and play the ball... CNK literally grabbed him by the scruff of the jersey and threw him to where the gap was in the middle of the posts.

so i'd say yeah, he actively marshals the defence from the back :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
Thats bordering on micromanagement.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Woodgers wrote: July 24, 2019, 1:18 pm
PigRickman wrote: February 11, 2019, 7:28 am
julian87 wrote: February 11, 2019, 6:54 am
Woodgers wrote: February 10, 2019, 9:18 pm Mate most people have given him the #1 already. How is that not overly excited?
I don’t think people thinking he’s likely better than Brad Abbey is them getting excited.
Exactly.
He's a talented kid and is probably better than who we are going to line up at #1 without him.
I think im probably one of the posters whose most excited by this and my enthusiasm is capped at "cool, this guy is talented and hopefully he ends up being a pretty solid Michael Oldfield type player. Which would be better than Abbey"

And im not even THAT down on Abbey either
Selective posting Pig, but in any event I talked about supporting the bloke and queried him just walking straight into the side, which is reasonable. Obviously he turned up and impressed with his work ethic amongst other things and got in there but you find me a bloke who recognised we'd have the fullback we have now after 7 appearances on the wing for the Warriors, and i'll find you a bloke that would be happy if he was at Oldfield level :D .

Anyhow deal me out. The last thing i'm looking for is a petty online squabble to wreck a thread about a bloke who could potentially take the Meninga Medal from the clouds.
Actually looking back now our alternatives at fullback were Abbey, Oldfield and Cotric. Realistically all CNK needed to do to get the job was show up and remember to wear pants.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Read that CNK is on $105K contract. Is that true?
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

Upgrade and extend, NOW!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?