Joe Tapine unfazed by Canberra Raiders representative curse

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Joe Tapine open to move into Canberra Raiders front row

Canberra Raiders back-rower Joseph Tapine could be set for a switch to prop in 2019 With the departures of Shannon Boyd and Junior Paulo, Ricky Stuart may need to call on Tapine and Josh Papalii to spend time in the middle third of the field.

"We've [Tapine and Papalii] been training a bit of both and building other combinations in the middle," Tapine said. "It's going to be a tough gig to get a cemented spot in the pack this year. Losing Boyd and Junior - they were big leaders on the field. I've got to step up in certain areas and improve my game."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/30/jos ... a-raiders/
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Joe Tapine open to move into Canberra Raiders front row

Post by nachopants »

This excites me.

Playing mobile forwards up the middle to shake the Faiders tag and use speed to combat the wrestle in the game makes sense to me. We were pretty amazing at rolling up the middle back in the day with Germ, Schif, Tongue, etc.

That said, this is all-in for Ricky imo, a last roll of the dice.

All the best to one and all
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Its sounding more and more like Ricky is going to pick 5 forwards and have them float from position to position. This worries me a little.

I hope is more a case of Ricky trying the different options so that he can pick the best combinations.
Not_Easy_Being_Green
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Not_Easy_Being_Green »

Surely a lot of positional switches throughout games can only hurt our defensive structures. I'm a bit iffy abiut those tactics unless they stay put.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I don't mind it, this move turns a potential weakness into a potential strength.

Plus our best younger players are in the forwards and this opens up opportunities.
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

Matt wrote: January 30, 2019, 6:42 pm Its sounding more and more like Ricky is going to pick 5 forwards and have them float from position to position. This worries me a little.

I hope is more a case of Ricky trying the different options so that he can pick the best combinations.
IMO "forwards" is too broad mate. How many times have you heard in the past 5 years that "the Raiders pack is MASSIVE"

It doesn't win us games.

The point is PROPS vs BACKROWERS, I think what Sticky is doing is shifting that balance.

Can we get away with 2 starting props and 1 on the bench in 2019

Sub that 2nd bench prop for a 2nd rower?

I like it.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Will be very interesting to watch unfold. We have 4 forwards excluding Hodgson that could potentially play 80 minutes if required.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I think whoever is in the middle will be better off getting a rest and providing more impact when they are out there. That way Havillii can play some quality minutes too, because I think he's a very good player who provides a real spark.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I just want to see Joe keep the agression and stay on the field without suspension.

The boy is a beast.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Tapine was a monster in the back row for us. Yes he can play the middle and he can be a pretty handy player there, but he was a weapon for our out wider. Im not sure this is the right move
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

nacho wrote: January 30, 2019, 8:38 pm
Matt wrote: January 30, 2019, 6:42 pm Its sounding more and more like Ricky is going to pick 5 forwards and have them float from position to position. This worries me a little.

IMO "forwards" is too broad mate. How many times have you heard in the past 5 years that "the Raiders pack is MASSIVE"

It doesn't win us games.

The point is PROPS vs BACKROWERS, I think what Sticky is doing is shifting that balance.

Can we get away with 2 starting props and 1 on the bench in 2019

Sub that 2nd bench prop for a 2nd rower?

I like it.
Id argue its not Props vs Backrowers, its Middles vs Edge. As Middle includes lock, which these days tends to be a mobile prop.

We have 4 international edge backrowers. He has to figure out a way to fit them in/ rotate them. I totally get that.

Looking at our prop stocks, its Sutton, Guler, Lui, JJ Collins, we also have Sia, who has done a Reuben Wiki and just moved further and further in field as his career progressed, and L Bateman who can play prop or lock. Very good chance that only Sutton, Guler and Sia actually make the 17. So I agree there.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

Did the number of interchanges drop this year? I know there was talk of it but not sure it was ever announced. I think these changes are to get ahead of the curve. But the league may not make the required changes to make this work.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: January 31, 2019, 7:37 am Id argue its not Props vs Backrowers, its Middles vs Edge. As Middle includes lock, which these days tends to be a mobile prop.
Yep, this is right.

But we're in a terminology void right now where people often (and i've caught myself doing it too) where people are actually talking middles v edges but use the old front row or props as a term for middles and back row as a term for props

Which is not going to be the case going forward because you'll see hybrid players like Tapine who could in a game spend some time as a middle and some as an edge.

But yeah, as far as forwards go, you're either a middle forward or an edge forwards.
For me the best football Tapine has played has been on the edges and i think i'd prefer to keep him there.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

kona_dream wrote: January 31, 2019, 8:02 am Did the number of interchanges drop this year? I know there was talk of it but not sure it was ever announced. I think these changes are to get ahead of the curve. But the league may not make the required changes to make this work.
No it didnt.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Pigman wrote: January 31, 2019, 8:02 am
Matt wrote: January 31, 2019, 7:37 am Id argue its not Props vs Backrowers, its Middles vs Edge. As Middle includes lock, which these days tends to be a mobile prop.
Yep, this is right.

But we're in a terminology void right now where people often (and i've caught myself doing it too) where people are actually talking middles v edges but use the old front row or props as a term for middles and back row as a term for props

Which is not going to be the case going forward because you'll see hybrid players like Tapine who could in a game spend some time as a middle and some as an edge.

But yeah, as far as forwards go, you're either a middle forward or an edge forwards.
For me the best football Tapine has played has been on the edges and i think i'd prefer to keep him there.
Yea it would also be nice to see Tapine play a few months of consecutive football on the edge outside someone other than Blake Austin, In a dreadful world cup he was far and away the kiwis best player playing outside of Shaun Johnson.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Tapine on the edge for mine.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

That's where I want him to stay as well.

Papalii, Sutton, Guler, Lui and whomever I missed to play up front.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Bateman is still likely to start at 13 with Papa in the front row IMO but it makes sense to have Bateman and probably Sia or Papa training on an edge as well. Similarly, giving Tapine a bit of time in the middle allows Sticky some flexibility if Papa gets called up to play origin or we get a bit thin in the middle due to injuries.

Tapine, like Papa is a stud. They will crush it no matter where we play them
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Sia..

I forgot Sia.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: January 30, 2019, 5:50 pm Joe Tapine open to move into Canberra Raiders front row

Canberra Raiders back-rower Joseph Tapine could be set for a switch to prop in 2019 With the departures of Shannon Boyd and Junior Paulo, Ricky Stuart may need to call on Tapine and Josh Papalii to spend time in the middle third of the field.

"We've [Tapine and Papalii] been training a bit of both and building other combinations in the middle," Tapine said. "It's going to be a tough gig to get a cemented spot in the pack this year. Losing Boyd and Junior - they were big leaders on the field. I've got to step up in certain areas and improve my game."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/30/jos ... a-raiders/
Oh..and Joe..

Boyd and Junior weren't big leaders on the field.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I personally think Tapine up front is our best option. J. Bateman and Whitehead can play lock but both possess abilities best served on an edge in the NRL, in my opinion. Tapine is great on an edge too but I think he is a better middle forward than both J. Bateman and Whitehead. I personally like the below as a starting pack;

8. Soliola
9. Hodgson
10. Tapine
11. J. Bateman
12. Whitehead
13. Papalii

Every player has played for a top tier International side with 5 being current representative standard player.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Am I the only one who thought that Tapine was pretty average playing in the middle? He only excelled once he moved to 2nd row where he could dominate opposition centres and halves.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Tapine does he's best work on an edge.

He may need to move up front for the need of the team.

I think JBateman will fit in nicely to the backrow so we won't lose much if Tapine moves forward.

Once again, I'd prefer he played back row because he's damn scary there for opposition.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

He has to stay on the edge....surely
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

SeeBee101 wrote: January 31, 2019, 11:36 am Am I the only one who thought that Tapine was pretty average playing in the middle? He only excelled once he moved to 2nd row where he could dominate opposition centres and halves.
Average is a strong word. I thought he was pretty good.
But there is no doubt he took it to another level when he could use his size and athleticism on the edges.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders second-rower Joe Tapine refuses to let the Green Machine's representative injury curse worry him ahead of a potential NRL All Stars debut.

"It's just a part of footy, injuries. It's going to come if you want it or not," Tapine said. "I had a string of bad luck last year with breaking my fingers. It's just footy. If you want to represent your culture or your country you've got to take that risk."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50uqm.html

Canberra Raiders forward Joe Tapine says Jack Wighton is setting a high standard on the training track after return from suspension: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/wighton-im ... cb8d98543e
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

Wiki Special wrote:I personally think Tapine up front is our best option. J. Bateman and Whitehead can play lock but both possess abilities best served on an edge in the NRL, in my opinion. Tapine is great on an edge too but I think he is a better middle forward than both J. Bateman and Whitehead. I personally like the below as a starting pack;

8. Soliola
9. Hodgson
10. Tapine
11. J. Bateman
12. Whitehead
13. Papalii

Every player has played for a top tier International side with 5 being current representative standard player.
I actually think that forward pack would be very dominant. But I would play Sia off the bench with lui starting just to give us some aggression after 20 mins

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: Joe Tapine unfazed by Canberra Raiders representative curse

Post by luke »

heartening that he's not superstitious
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

SeeBee101 wrote: January 31, 2019, 11:36 am Am I the only one who thought that Tapine was pretty average playing in the middle? He only excelled once he moved to 2nd row where he could dominate opposition centres and halves.
Hmm I think he's good in the middle but you raise a really good point here. He is the perfect weapon of footwork, fend, offload and size to terrorise and exploit any opposition halves or centre not quite as big/dynamic. Maybe only Papa is as scary but he's nowhere near as mobile these days.

Put Tapine next to BJ where opposition will be in two minds as to whether they can afford to drift in and help one or the other is big question to send at defences.

Anyone else (even Whitehead) doesn't quite have that edge in that department...
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

He has some defensive question marks on the edge so I wouldn't be putting him next to BJ if it could be avoided. I think it's also a reason why the move to the middle makes some.
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

All these options sound good, and its flexible.

Throw in an improving Guler and Lui and our pack looks just fine
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Not that fussed either way but agree he does his best work on the edges. A lot of this depends on how J.Bateman adapts to the NRL, if he gets a shot at 13 and nails it then play Tapine on the edge. If Bateman takes time to get used to the comp or isn't big enough or aggressive enough for that role in the NRL our safest option is to play Joe in the middle until we work it out. Bateman has come here as a backrower with the ability to play centre which tells me he's more suited to an edge than competing with the best 13's in the comp (Taumalolo, Burgess, Trbojevic). Having said that Whitehead is effective in there and he's not a genetic beast so it might be OK and maybe the workhorse lock is back!
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

edwahu wrote: January 31, 2019, 1:45 pm He has some defensive question marks on the edge so I wouldn't be putting him next to BJ if it could be avoided. I think it's also a reason why the move to the middle makes some.
I agree he's had some issues on the edges, but i really think he's got all the attributes to be a good edge defender. He's very inexperienced in it though

He can hit, he's strong physically, so i havent got concerns with him being isolated. He's a long rangey sort, so his margin of error is larger... That's what made Campo so good in his prime, he was long and could smother attack before it got there

It's his reads that's the issue and Tapine doesnt strike me as a dumb player. I think he's got a good footy IQ. I think he can figure this out with experience if given the chance to just stick into one spot and work combinations for a good period of time.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Woodgers wrote: January 31, 2019, 3:15 pm Not that fussed either way but agree he does his best work on the edges. A lot of this depends on how J.Bateman adapts to the NRL, if he gets a shot at 13 and nails it then play Tapine on the edge. If Bateman takes time to get used to the comp or isn't big enough or aggressive enough for that role in the NRL our safest option is to play Joe in the middle until we work it out. Bateman has come here as a backrower with the ability to play centre which tells me he's more suited to an edge than competing with the best 13's in the comp (Taumalolo, Burgess, Trbojevic). Having said that Whitehead is effective in there and he's not a genetic beast so it might be OK and maybe the workhorse lock is back!
I love Whitehead on the edges but his work in the middle i thought was so god damn impressive.
Without knowing a thing about John Batemen, i agree his profile and experience leads me to think the edges are his place... and at that point, i'd sooner move Whitehead who i think was elite as a middle from day 1 in that spot, to the middle and keeping Tapine on the edges is the best option

We're losing a hell of a strike weapon on the edges with Papalii, and Tapine is our best natural replacement imo.
A strike weapon on the edges is vital in today's game.
Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

greeneyed wrote: January 31, 2019, 12:12 pm Joe Tapine unfazed by Canberra Raiders representative curse

Canberra Raiders second-rower Joe Tapine refuses to let the Green Machine's representative injury curse worry him ahead of a potential NRL All Stars debut.

"It's just a part of footy, injuries. It's going to come if you want it or not," Tapine said. "I had a string of bad luck last year with breaking my fingers. It's just footy. If you want to represent your culture or your country you've got to take that risk."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50uqm.html

Canberra Raiders forward Joe Tapine says Jack Wighton is setting a high standard on the training track after return from suspension: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/wighton-im ... cb8d98543e
Nice to see Jack setting the standard :)