Is Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart under pressure in 2019?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Is Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart under pressure in 2019?

Post by greeneyed »

Who are the NRL coaches under pressure?

CANBERRA : Ricky Stuart may be running out of chances after the Raiders again missed out on the finals in 2018.

Verdict: Stuart has a 46.3 per cent winning record at the Raiders yet is considered safe.

Read more: https://www.sportsnews.com.au/nrl/who-a ... ure/464282
Peter
Jason Croker

Re: Is Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart under pressure in 2019?

Post by Peter »

Should be under a lot of pressure. It’s his last chance this year. I really like him, but results speak louder than words.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

He's under all sorts.

This is a huge year for Stick.

I reckon he'll resign if we are out of the 8, and he'll take up another role within the club

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

I think that's the way it will go to . He has to be under heaps of pressure , even if its from within himself.
We know he loves the club . Hopefully we have a great season and we don't have to worry about all the speculation.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Protected species
zilhouse
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Alan tongue

Post by zilhouse »

No but should be.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Our useless board and CEO wouldn't have him under pressure but that's nothing new. They didn't put Furner under any pressure either.

That being said, there is and will be an increasing amount of pressure on Ricky from the fans, local sponsors and playing group who I believe will make their voices heard loud and clear if Ricky fails again.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Unfortunately no, but bloody well should be
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Of course he is..

And should be !!!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Green eyed Mick wrote: January 28, 2019, 11:03 pm Our useless board and CEO wouldn't have him under pressure but that's nothing new. They didn't put Furner under any pressure either.

That being said, there is and will be an increasing amount of pressure on Ricky from the fans, local sponsors and playing group who I believe will make their voices heard loud and clear if Ricky fails again.
I don't believe the playing group will raise up against him. One of my biggest gripes with stuart is that he is best mates with them. Which isn't a problem if he held them accountable. The problem is that he doesn't. Wighton should have been sacked or at minimum had a massive fine leveled at him for the events that occurred last year. It was an opportunity to resign him on a lower salary more aligned with his worth. But alas stuart held strong for his good mate.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The Pommy clique would probably be able to force him out. They are the core of the team and it's leadership now and aren't shrinking violets.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

There will be plenty of pressure but no more than he’ll have to endure come GF day..

#greenmachinein19

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Gazman
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Gazman »

I’d say he’s only under pressure from himself. I agree with dubby, he is only gone if he resigns.

I’m a sticky fan, and remember when we weren’t competitive before he arrived and freshened our roster.

At least now we are right in it every game, we’ve just gotta start closing!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Gazman wrote: January 29, 2019, 6:07 am I’m a sticky fan, and remember when we weren’t competitive before he arrived and freshened our roster.
In the 5 years prior, we have virtually the same win % as in Stuart's first 5 years, and we went to the finals twice, whereas Stuart has taken us there only once.

Enough with this bogus narrative. We've been a different TYPE of flash in the pan stinky team, but we've brought the **** stink just as much, if not more under Stuart. And that's with a vastly superior squad.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I agree.

Imagine this bunch of players under Bellamy or Robinson !!

It's all on Stuart..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

FWIW Ricky Stuart should already be sacked, the fact he isn't and there have been nothing from the club to suggest they ever considered it, tells me he's not remotely under pressure

And he's not quitting the job.
Truth be told he's closer to limping into 8th spot season and get another multi year extension than he is from being sacked. Stuart will be our coach for at least another 2-3 years, regardless of results.
The only way that changes is if the players revolt... but where is the Dugan/Fergo arrogant **** type to lead such a charge? As the point was made earlier, Stuart's best mates with these dudes. Most of them are getting more money here than they'll get elsewhere?

Maybe the Dad's Army quartet can make some moves if they want, but i dont really see Hodgson/Elliott being that type, and it's going to be too soon for Bateman and Sutton to be pushing weight around.

I dont see a pathway for Stuart not being the coach in 2020.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Pigman wrote: January 29, 2019, 7:11 am FWIW Ricky Stuart should already be sacked, the fact he isn't and there have been nothing from the club to suggest they ever considered it, tells me he's not remotely under pressure

Truth be told he's closer to limping into 8th spot season and get another multi year extension than he is from being sacked. Stuart will be our coach for at least another 2-3 years, regardless of results.
The only way that changes is if the players revolt... but where is the Dugan/Fergo arrogant **** type to lead such a charge? As the point was made earlier, Stuart's best mates with these dudes. Most of them are getting more money here than they'll get elsewhere?

Maybe the Dad's Army quartet can make some moves if they want, but i dont really see Hodgson/Elliott being that type, and it's going to be too soon for Bateman and Sutton to be pushing weight around.

It wasn't Dugan and Fergo that lead the charge against Furner, I think it was the sensible players like Shillo and White over the way he handled the idiots in the squad. Actually Brett White is probably the best chance of getting rid of him, he has done it to one coach in the past.

They are mates now but the Poms seem very close and they should hold a lot of power, if they aren't happy they will start to make decisions in their interests.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

FROG wrote: January 29, 2019, 5:41 am
Green eyed Mick wrote: January 28, 2019, 11:03 pm Our useless board and CEO wouldn't have him under pressure but that's nothing new. They didn't put Furner under any pressure either.

I don't believe the playing group will raise up against him. One of my biggest gripes with stuart is that he is best mates with them. Which isn't a problem if he held them accountable. The problem is that he doesn't. Wighton should have been sacked or at minimum had a massive fine leveled at him for the events that occurred last year. It was an opportunity to resign him on a lower salary more aligned with his worth. But alas stuart held strong for his good mate.
You can't sack a bloke and then re-sign him on less money. That's not how the world works.

If we did that, Jack goes and signs somewhere else- because we just sacked him.

The first half of last season he actually was playing like a guy worth the high FB salary- he was elite basically any way you measure it on the field.
Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

BadnMean wrote: January 29, 2019, 11:06 am
FROG wrote: January 29, 2019, 5:41 am

You can't sack a bloke and then re-sign him on less money. That's not how the world works.

If we did that, Jack goes and signs somewhere else- because we just sacked him.

The first half of last season he actually was playing like a guy worth the high FB salary- he was elite basically any way you measure it on the field.
Let Em go mate makes their EDIT feel big bashing up on Jack.

There are a few good ones on the gutless call of the year thread too.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

edwahu wrote: January 29, 2019, 9:34 am
Pigman wrote: January 29, 2019, 7:11 am FWIW Ricky Stuart should already be sacked, the fact he isn't and there have been nothing from the club to suggest they ever considered it, tells me he's not remotely under pressure

It wasn't Dugan and Fergo that lead the charge against Furner, I think it was the sensible players like Shillo and White over the way he handled the idiots in the squad. Actually Brett White is probably the best chance of getting rid of him, he has done it to one coach in the past.
Yeah that's true, i worded that very poorly... the players came back against Furner because of his handling of those guys, and that destablised the squad to a level where you had no option but to sack him... how do we get there with this squad? Who is Dugan/Fergo/Sandor/Wighton clique that fractures the playing group in such a way that make that possible?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Keghead wrote: January 29, 2019, 12:18 pm Let Em go mate makes their EDIT feel big bashing up on Jack.
Actually it would seem to me that it's probably Jack who likes to bash up on people to make his EDIT feel big... including some half his size and one of which came very close to sending Jack to the pavement. :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This isn't a Jack Wighton thread, but he did have a very large fine imposed on him by the NRL, plus a 10 week ban. Isn't it time to look forward? He's served his penalty. Hopefully, he'll be quickly back to the form he showed in the first half of last season.
Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

Pigman wrote: January 29, 2019, 12:46 pm
Keghead wrote: January 29, 2019, 12:18 pm Let Em go mate makes their EDIT feel big bashing up on Jack.
Actually it would seem to me that it's probably Jack who likes to bash up on people to make his EDIT feel big... including some half his size and one of which came very close to sending Jack to the pavement. :lol:
Yeah and you didn't throw one of em so stop acting like you are some sort of superior morale crusader.

You throw plenty of dribble around this place thinking you have some sort of clue but it is apparent that you are just some sort of try hard who needs to boost his ego buy judging others as if you are perfect, as I said before you might be tricking some of the fools on here but boil it down and you are a nothing bud and always will be have fun typing your miserable existence away.

Jack is a big part of the team and will be until HE wants out so suck it in fool.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

:lol: speaking of typing your miserable existence away.
Dying on the hill that is Jack Wighton. Doesnt get more miserable than that.
Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

And trying to prove you are someone of any significance or importance on an internet forum is extremely noble.

The "Heroes" you worship on here used to go out and do that type of stuff (fighting) on a weekly basis against tools like yourself.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Get ‘im keghead!
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Keghead wrote: January 29, 2019, 4:24 pm And trying to prove you are someone of any significance or importance on an internet forum is extremely noble.

The "Heroes" you worship on here used to go out and do that type of stuff (fighting) on a weekly basis against tools like yourself.
No more noble than your attempts to defend Jack Wighton for an inexcusable act.
I guess we're both pretty insignificant and unimportant.

FWIW I don't worship any 'heroes', least of all sporting heroes. I learnt in my teens that these people arent heroes. They are just dudes who are good at football, and you probably should worship anyone who's main contribution to society is hitting the genetic lottery.

But yeah i have no doubt many players from past times would routinely walk around thumping dudes without much or any provocation. And i'm sure each one EDIT hoping to get a nod of approval. Yet, you're as insignificant and unimportant as i am. So i guess that didnt quite work out for you, did it?
Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

EDIT.
Last edited by greeneyed on January 31, 2019, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate comment
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think the idea that to be a “man” you have to be able to fight is quite a revealing statement

I couldn’t tell you what I could or couldn’t knock the skin off. Haven’t thrown a punch since I was 17. Have no plans to change that. No need to, i learnt the hard way many years ago that solving problems with your fists doesn’t make you a “man”, violence is a cowards way out
Bigcheese
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Volcano

Post by Bigcheese »

What we really need is a Greenhouse fight night. MMA or boxing, which do you prefer Keghead? You sound like a terrifying sort of bloke!
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Bigcheese wrote:What we really need is a Greenhouse fight night. MMA or boxing, which do you prefer Keghead? You sound like a terrifying sort of bloke!
Bigcheese!!!! WWE couldnt write this script.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

He should be under pressure but I Suspect he won’t be until it’s mathematically impossible to make the finals, which I expect will be in the last couple of rounds. And even so McFadden will just walk into the role so I don’t know how to feel about that.

Then he will still retain his position as we have probably bought a decent player or two for 2020 and Don will feel he deserves the opportunity to coach them.

His first mistake was not sacking Wighton, yet we get rid of Dugan and Carney for stupidity, they didn’t actually assault anyone.
His second mistake is he might play Wighton at Five Eight, weakens a spot and it’s even questionable that it’s strengthening another. 2019 has train wreck written all over it which might be a good thing.
Josh Hodgson holds the key to Stuart’s future, he has to have a blinder of a season.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Watching people use Raiders players to argue each other do death and prove how right they are is the pits.

Bring on the season.

FWIW, Ricky starts the season with the benefit of a quietly growing doubt. He and the players have their chance to get it right. If not- then I expect Ricky to stand down or be given the nod by the time finals become an impossibility. I don't think he's going anywhere before then. The club history and his current situation suggest that.

The positional/personnel arrangements in round 1- or even the trials for that matter- will be crucial.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Manchild wrote:
Bigcheese wrote:What we really need is a Greenhouse fight night. MMA or boxing, which do you prefer Keghead? You sound like a terrifying sort of bloke!
Bigcheese!!!! WWE couldnt write this script.
Indeed. His entrance timing was impeccable Image

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk