Raiders, Panthers deny Dylan Edwards switch

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: Edwards-Raiders rumour a dud

Post by Matt »

Coastalraider wrote: January 15, 2019, 11:44 am Ha ha - imagine believing a Penrith denial!

Hooks not going anywhere - nek minnit
Moylans got our full support - nek minnit
Bryce Cartwright is part of the future - nek minnit
Trent Merrin will be here in 2019, not super league - nek minnit

Getting a denial is almost confirming the opposite with those blokes...
I only remembered half of those :roflmao . Yep, denial is 9/10th of the Gus law
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

T_R wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
nacho wrote: January 15, 2019, 1:18 pm The only way I can figure in my right mind that we're up against the cap ceiling is if we're still paying a portion of Boyd and Paulo
But they were off contract, so that can't be the reason.
The only explanation is gross managerial incompetence.

If the cap truly is maxed out with us short a half (say $750k), a prop (say $450k) and an outside back (say $350k) there is no other way to look at it.

Think about that - we're maxed out and a million and a half off the pace.
Coincidentally that’d be about our TPA deficit wouldn’t it Image
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

greeneyed wrote:No, it is $175,000 for one year.
That's what I saidImage

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

gangrenous wrote: January 15, 2019, 5:13 pm
T_R wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
nacho wrote: January 15, 2019, 1:18 pm The only way I can figure in my right mind that we're up against the cap ceiling is if we're still paying a portion of Boyd and Paulo
The only explanation is gross managerial incompetence.

If the cap truly is maxed out with us short a half (say $750k), a prop (say $450k) and an outside back (say $350k) there is no other way to look at it.

Think about that - we're maxed out and a million and a half off the pace.
Coincidentally that’d be about our TPA deficit wouldn’t it Image
Nah, the biggest deficit was 800k to Melbourne.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

dubby wrote: January 15, 2019, 5:17 pm
greeneyed wrote:No, it is $175,000 for one year.
That's what I saidImage

As I read it, you said it was $350,000 over two years, $175,000 a year.

I was saying it is $175,000, this year only.

But I'm happy to be corrected!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Um, i got it wrong then.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

The club is chasing him.

That means we must have an offer in the general ballpark of what he’s worth. Possibly with the hope that a starting fullback spot here over a wing or ressies spot there will be the difference.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t come off though.

But the Panthers have no reason to be quick to tell Edwards whether he’s wanted or not, particularly as he’s contracted so they’re under no pressure to release him soon.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Ruben Daley wrote:The club is chasing him.

That means we must have an offer in the general ballpark of what he’s worth. Possibly with the hope that a starting fullback spot here over a wing or ressies spot there will be the difference.

But the Panthers have no reason to be quick to tell Edwards whether he’s wanted or not, particularly as he’s contracted so they’re under no pressure to release him soon.
Might just be haggling over how much Panthers will cover? And the negotiation games are now playing out in the media.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Ruben Daley wrote: January 15, 2019, 5:57 pm The club is chasing him.

Good to know... hopefully things fall our way. I'm pretty keen on him as a player... i've been wrong before and will be again, but if we're moving Wighton back to the halves, he's the sort of play that fits well in that structure imo
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Pigman wrote: January 15, 2019, 6:23 pm

Good to know... hopefully things fall our way. I'm pretty keen on him as a player... i've been wrong before and will be again, but if we're moving Wighton back to the halves, he's the sort of play that fits well in that structure imo
Agreed. His support play in particular is well above average.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

gergreg wrote: January 15, 2019, 6:09 pm
Ruben Daley wrote:The club is chasing him.

Might just be haggling over how much Panthers will cover? And the negotiation games are now playing out in the media.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Yeah, maybe. Though I wonder if there’s much argument for the Panthers to pay anything. We want him, he wants to leave (theoretically) but the Panthers don’t really gain anything by letting him go.

Unless they’re chasing someone else, which could also delay things.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

Wiki Special wrote: January 15, 2019, 7:25 pm

Agreed. His support play in particular is well above average.
Agree with you both. Always hard to tel how a guy will pan out but he’s got a lot going for him.

I’m also a big fan of getting a guy who wants to prove he’s a genuine starter.
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by UncleDrew »

Instead of going after Edwards... we sign a New Zealand rugby 7’s winger, this club 🤦🏻‍♀️
edwahu

Re: Raiders, Panthers deny Dylan Edwards switch

Post by edwahu »

So done deal.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

YEEEEEEEEEEEES! WE GOT HIM**
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Looks like it’s not happening but if it did Penrith wouldn’t pay a cent, obviously.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Gould denies everything, always. Until it happens (or not)- whether it's good or bad for panthers actually.

He is more than willing to pay freight if it suits his vision. Not sure Edwards is worth paying out for a club though.

It'd be nice.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Gus could look you straight in the eyes and flat out deny he was a victim of a multiple bee sting attack to his face as a youngster...

Clearly..hes lying !!!

The internal goings on at our club, our current situation ref salary cap is depressing.

The rich get richer, the poor get the picture...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Like me, were you on the Sezer from Titans bandwagon?!? Coz we got burnt there
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Matt wrote: January 16, 2019, 7:36 am

Sezer has not lived up to what I thought he would. But I’d hardly say we’ve been burnt.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote: January 16, 2019, 7:49 am

Sezer has not lived up to what I thought he would. But I’d hardly say we’ve been burnt.
Its not Matt Awful, being burnt, but Id still put it in the 'burnt' category. He hasnt been as good as he was for the Titans.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Matt wrote: January 16, 2019, 7:50 am
julian87 wrote: January 16, 2019, 7:49 am

Its not Matt Awful, being burnt, but Id still put it in the 'burnt' category. He hasnt been as good as he was for the Titans.
I think he's worse as we're now into year 4 and 5 of bog-average play from Sezer. At least Orford was gone within about 2 months :roflmao
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

The denial means nothing, especially from Gus.

That said, he's not coming.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Let's just relax and wait and see what Craig Norenberg has to say.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

greeneyed wrote: January 15, 2019, 2:03 pm
Now there's nothing right about my mind :thumbsdown
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Raiders, Panthers deny Dylan Edwards switch

Post by LastRaider »

It’s hard to understand how Ricky Stuart still has a job and how the club is allowing Ricky to do another rebuild of the club. It’s desperate times at the club to be moving Papa to The front row and Wighton to 5/8.

Time to get use to the next 3 Seasons being in the bottom 4.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Papalli to the middle move was always going to happen - he began as a barrel shaped dude and forwards only ever get bigger. His movement in defence on the edge was becoming exploitable (not BAD by any means, but a little edge for smart teams to expose for sure) which is why he had already been moved into the middle. I don't think shifting him to prop (if that happens) from lock is that big a deal. Papa was a world class edge forward who was clearly going to end up a prop at some stage.

Wighton to 5/8 has some upside- leaves us with solid defensive halves. We don't lose much in attack since we rely on dangerous edges anyway. It will clear up the lines of command- Hodgo and Sezer are the boss, Jack runs the ball or runs his sweep. He has a huge boot as an option if long clearing kicks are needed. He's shown ability last season with the delicate grubbers. Mid range kicks is Sezer and Hodgo's territory imo.

Downside is we lose a very good fullback- but worth it if we gain a good half imo.

Fullback if we don't recruit could be Oldfield (Abbey on a wing or this giant 7s kid)- who looks like a solid FG footy player to me. Or Abbey (who was only 21 and needed to fill out, I wouldn't quite scrap him yet). If they don't shape up, we can put Cotric there and know we'll get a very solid result (with his talent, an unknown ceiling too).

After 10-11 rounds, we'll have the option of putting Rapa back there (if Jack is doing well). Imagine Rapa with a roving support commission at FB running off Papa, Tapine, Whitehead, BJ...

I'm not going to be all doom and gloom.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Nice post BnM
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Papa will kill it in the middle...It's an easy move
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Raiders666 wrote: January 16, 2019, 7:50 pm Papa will kill it in the middle...It's an easy move
Definitely. He killed it his entire time in the middle last season too.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Wiki Special wrote: January 16, 2019, 8:08 pm
Raiders666 wrote: January 16, 2019, 7:50 pm Papa will kill it in the middle...It's an easy move
Definitely. He killed it his entire time in the middle last season too.
Yep
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

BadnMean wrote: January 16, 2019, 7:09 pm Papalli to the middle move was always going to happen - he began as a barrel shaped dude and forwards only ever get bigger. His movement in defence on the edge was becoming exploitable (not BAD by any means, but a little edge for smart teams to expose for sure) which is why he had already been moved into the middle. I don't think shifting him to prop (if that happens) from lock is that big a deal. Papa was a world class edge forward who was clearly going to end up a prop at some stage.

Wighton to 5/8 has some upside- leaves us with solid defensive halves. We don't lose much in attack since we rely on dangerous edges anyway. It will clear up the lines of command- Hodgo and Sezer are the boss, Jack runs the ball or runs his sweep. He has a huge boot as an option if long clearing kicks are needed. He's shown ability last season with the delicate grubbers. Mid range kicks is Sezer and Hodgo's territory imo.

Downside is we lose a very good fullback- but worth it if we gain a good half imo.

Fullback if we don't recruit could be Oldfield (Abbey on a wing or this giant 7s kid)- who looks like a solid FG footy player to me. Or Abbey (who was only 21 and needed to fill out, I wouldn't quite scrap him yet). If they don't shape up, we can put Cotric there and know we'll get a very solid result (with his talent, an unknown ceiling too).

After 10-11 rounds, we'll have the option of putting Rapa back there (if Jack is doing well). Imagine Rapa with a roving support commission at FB running off Papa, Tapine, Whitehead, BJ...

I'm not going to be all doom and gloom.
the Oldfield/giant 7s kid option a good chance I reckon
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Jumped on this thread to read about Edwards. But all the talk is about Paps playing middle forward. :shock: :?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

gangrenous wrote: January 16, 2019, 7:37 pm Nice post BnM Image
Yeah thanks- feel free to quote me in round 9 when it's all gone to shizzle :roflmao
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Norenburg reputation will take a big hit if there haven’t been some negotiations at least