Jack Wighton confirms switch to five eighth

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Re: Jack Wighton confirms switch to five eighth

Post by Keghead »

gergreg wrote: March 21, 2019, 8:50 am
Raiders666 wrote:Early days obviously but how good was his kicking game last sunday! I knew he was going to kill it this yr but i was concerned about his kicking... i was seriously impressed
Yes I was wrong on this. Also impressive kick chase.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
I respect people who can admit when they are wrong it shows a real strength of character :thumbsup
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Jacky boy has a bigger boot than Austin, probably at this stage his kicking game is as good or better too.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

CJ42 wrote: March 21, 2019, 12:06 pm Jacky boy has a bigger boot than Austin, probably at this stage his kicking game is as good or better too.

I know that I can't really say Wighton's kicking game is better than Austin's due to the small sample size available but I already reckon we're gonna see a better kicking game from Wighton at 5/8 than we did with Austin.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Seiffert that sounds very hindsighty, "it was always going to work out at five-eighth". He never did short or long kicks at fullback, and many other fullbacks have failed to transition to five-eighth including himself albeit 5 years ago. It also hasn't worked out just yet, it was one good game. Very promising though, absolutely.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Canberra Milk wrote: March 22, 2019, 12:35 pm Seiffert that sounds very hindsighty, "it was always going to work out at five-eighth". He never did short or long kicks at fullback, and many other fullbacks have failed to transition to five-eighth including himself albeit 5 years ago. It also hasn't worked out just yet, it was one good game. Very promising though, absolutely.
Dunno CM. My only real issue with Wighton moving to 5/8 was finding a decent replacement for him at fullback.

After his stint at 1, he is a completely different proposition to what we saw a few years ago. I have no idea why people reflect back on those times as an indicator of what he is capable of.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Round 2 on Wighton watch: our sets in the opposition 20 were atrocious, but largely due to dropped balls and possibly Hodgson overplaying the crash ball. Maybe not the best game to judge him on. Storm defence is always difficult too.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Canberra Milk wrote: March 25, 2019, 8:56 pm Round 2 on Wighton watch: our sets in the opposition 20 were atrocious, but largely due to dropped balls and possibly Hodgson overplaying the crash ball. Maybe not the best game to judge him on. Storm defence is always difficult too.
Game 1 in poor conditions and game 2 against one of the toughest defensive teams on a short back up. Wighton hasn't had much opportunity to showcase what he can do at 5/8. Should get a better line this weekend.

That said I believe he should be given plenty of time before passing judgement. Mainly because our alternatives are not strong.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Glad Jack is cutting out the errors on his game lol

At least he tries hard

In Ricky We Trust
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Glad to see brew has turned his snarky attitude around haha.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He had a stinker
It happens, it’ll happen again
If we’re serious about him in the halves we must forge on, develop him so he’s ready for Georgie boy
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Well at least JackyBois switch to 5/8 is going to last longer than Pongas...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

-PJ- wrote: March 29, 2019, 7:30 pm Well at least JackyBois switch to 5/8 is going to last longer than Pongas...
:lol:
WorkChoice
Sezer's Palace
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by Sezer's Palace »

I still think there were a lot of positives in his performance tonight, but far out man let Williams/Sezer/Hodgson kick long. We are asking him to do too much, too early in his transition. Just keep it simple and he will go well.
Instagram: @sezerspalace
Twitter: @jackkcronin
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The dude sucks as a 6.

Good defensively, just ask jesse Ramian.

Yet even worse in attack. Anyway
I do love Jack. He's a great player. Just not a 6.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

dubby wrote:The dude sucks as a 6.

massive over reaction

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Edrick The Entertainer
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

bonehead wrote:

massive over reaction

Probably. I've worked 140 hours this fortnight and I'm beyond caring what people think

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

He is quickly turning into our Jarrod Mullen in terms of investment vs lack of performance on the paddock. I'd say he has had 18 months of top quality football at this stage between 2016 and the first half of 2018.
Ginga
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Ginga »

dubby wrote:
bonehead wrote:

massive over reaction

Probably. I've worked 140 hours this fortnight and I'm beyond caring what people think

He says in an interwebs forum lol

Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

He had some kicking errors and a bad miss on a strong player but he wasn't bad. His efforts are there. Some of his defence was brutal tonight and he's helping those around him to be more confident. He also doesn't get credit for things like the charge down which turned things for us at that time and his kick chase is as good as any half in the comp (when he keeps the ball in play). Just relax, he's not that far off and the fact that CNK is performing well in #1 means we can push forward with this. We'll win more games with Jack in #6 and CNK in #1 than moving Jack back to #1 and shoehorning Sezer and Williams.

People are always going to be on his back about the kicking but he'll get there, give him a bit of leeway. His kicking game isn't horrendous, he does get some perfectly but once again the bad ones are highlighted.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

he set up there two tries with his defence

he also kept them in the game with a good 5 mistakes.

I cant remember someone who is so highly rated play so bad whilst still trying really hard and competing through out the whole match.

Honest if we had anyone else there instead of him we would have won by 30 or 40 the knights were so lackluster.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Wow
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Two kicks out on the full in one game = horrendous Woodge

*but* I'm happy enough overall too. CNK means he has to play there, and there were enough positives. I think he'd have scored in the first half of he pinned his ears back instead of trying to pass to Rapana (?). He is actually creating stuff. He's not looking like a dead end, he looks a threat, which is half the battle

Even if his kicking proves to be flawed, then that's an easy enough fix, just delegate it to Williams/Hodgo
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Not remotely concerned about Jack. The foundations are there. Was always going to take probably half a season for him to consistently nail 5/8 ,he'll throw in the odd shocker and as Woodge pointed out, he still did some good things. It's a work in progress but he'll get there.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

It absolutely boggles my mind how little you know about rugby league

Sure, Jack made some errors out there, but otherwise he looked bloody dangerous and he’s only going to get better as the season progresses

Jack in the halves is a BIG reason why we’re 2-1 to start the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Woodgers wrote:He had some kicking errors and a bad miss on a strong player but he wasn't bad. His efforts are there. Some of his defence was brutal tonight and he's helping those around him to be more confident. He also doesn't get credit for things like the charge down which turned things for us at that time and his kick chase is as good as any half in the comp (when he keeps the ball in play). Just relax, he's not that far off and the fact that CNK is performing well in #1 means we can push forward with this. We'll win more games with Jack in #6 and CNK in #1 than moving Jack back to #1 and shoehorning Sezer and Williams.

People are always going to be on his back about the kicking but he'll get there, give him a bit of leeway. His kicking game isn't horrendous, he does get some perfectly but once again the bad ones are highlighted.
Exactly. He had a good game DESPITE the five errors

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Woodgers wrote:Wow
x2

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Nickman, while you've been away it seems that keghead has hacked your account.

Wighton was very good in patches last night, but his overall game was pretty awful.

He'll get better, but against a better team than the Knights, those errors cost us the game and we're all here opening a vein.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

It took Jack 2 years to be comfortable at fullback, he isn’t going to be an instant sensation at 6.

He has an immense amount of talent, but seems to overthink things and struggle with self belief. How many times have we seen Jack turn one error into 2 or 3? You could see in the first half last night that he was overthinking his role with Sezer out - if he had just played 6 and let Sammy play 7 things would have been a lot smoother.

This is a work in progress, anyone willing to judge before mid season needs to calm down. I’m not saying it should take a player 10-12 games for a player to warm to a role, but history has shown it takes Jack at least that long to get his head around something new.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Like he did at 6 a few years ago?

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Jack Wighton confirms switch to five eighth

Post by LastRaider »

Jack just needs to focus on his running game and when to and when not to pass and he will be fine. I was a nay sayers for the move but he now adds a tackling bustling capability to make up for Croker’s inability.

As for kicking, Stuart just needs to take that duty away from him completely until he settles in. Hodgson and Williams must take over all the kicking

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Jack made some errors last night but there was also some class . He is going to have some errors. Not once did he go into his shell.
There was another 5/8 who the media wet themselves over , he made some bad errors too. They are both new to their positions there will be ups and downs.
I wouldn't change it.

Sent from my SM-N960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

papabear wrote: I cant remember someone who is so highly rated play so bad whilst still trying really hard and competing through out the whole match.
Hows your memory? The comp has plenty of players like this and plenty in the halves. Just quickly off the top of my head.... there was one in last night's opposition. Mitchell Pearce. Going further you have Ben Hunt. 2018 was horrendous for one of the greatest ever halves to play the game, JT.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

plenty of good players will cop that from Ramien, he's only 2nd to Latrell imo

Edrick The Entertainer
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gergreg wrote: March 30, 2019, 7:38 am
papabear wrote: I cant remember someone who is so highly rated play so bad whilst still trying really hard and competing through out the whole match.
Hows your memory? The comp has plenty of players like this and plenty in the halves. Just quickly off the top of my head.... there was one in last night's opposition. Mitchell Pearce. Going further you have Ben Hunt. 2018 was horrendous for one of the greatest ever halves to play the game, JT.

Honestly i was going to take this post seriously then you have JT

I never saw JT play that poorly.

Two clearing kicks out on the full, atleast another two handling errors (maybe 3 or 4), two misses in defence to set up the two tries.

The knights were a joke, the only reason they were in the game was because of wightons performance. But yeah keep pretending other players put on that kind of performance all the time.

Honestly if sam williams gets dropped before him, that is a travesty.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

papabear wrote:
gergreg wrote: March 30, 2019, 7:38 am

Honestly i was going to take this post seriously then you have JT

I never saw JT play that poorly.

Two clearing kicks out on the full, atleast another two handling errors (maybe 3 or 4), two misses in defence to set up the two tries.

The knights were a joke, the only reason they were in the game was because of wightons performance. But yeah keep pretending other players put on that kind of performance all the time.

Honestly if sam williams gets dropped before him, that is a travesty.
C'mon did you miss the talk last year of JT ruining his legacy and playing a year too long. The talk was rightly dismissed because of year upon year of great play but he played poorly last year, and the Cowboys results reflected it.

Shoving it in your face since 2017