Jack Wighton confirms switch to five eighth

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Jack Wighton confirms switch to five eighth

Post by Coastalraider »

His game was very different to last week, more a strategic game than a dynamic one. Last week the roosters gave our left edge some room, and Jack was using his running and passing game well. Th Bunnies took that room away, and his kicking game came to the fore.

Next step is realising what side to play. When the left edge was jammed last night, Jack should have realised it was time to shift to the right, whenever they gave Cotric and Smelly room they looked great, but Jack called too much ball on the left.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Coastalraider wrote: May 19, 2019, 8:49 am His game was very different to last week, more a strategic game than a dynamic one. Last week the roosters gave our left edge some room, and Jack was using his running and passing game well. Th Bunnies took that room away, and his kicking game came to the fore.

Next step is realising what side to play. When the left edge was jammed last night, Jack should have realised it was time to shift to the right, whenever they gave Cotric and Smelly room they looked great, but Jack called too much ball on the left.
Won't disagree. That was not Jack's best game but was far from his worst. Might have even been one his better all round performances. There were no spectacular efforts nor were there any real poor ones.

His kicking game was much more refined and is coming along well. Your point about decision making and the ability to adjust when things aren't working, that's an area he can learn a lot from out of this game. Overall I was happy with how he played and think this game will serve well in his development.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Jack played pretty well I thought. I think if CNK can produce a bit more in attack it would help a lot, at the moment there is too much pressure on just Jack.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

edwahu wrote: May 19, 2019, 10:39 am Jack played pretty well I thought. I think if CNK can produce a bit more in attack it would help a lot, at the moment there is too much pressure on just Jack.
That's the one part of our spine that's still hasn't quite clicked. Halves linking with the fullback. Only a handful of games together so we need to be patient on that.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

CNK is definitely better at it now than he was to start the year. But it's far from what you'd call slick. Happy to watch over the NEXT month or two and see if they can get something going after theoretically coming up vs the 3 best organised and man for man defences in the comp over the last month.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The Telecrap is reporting John Asiata will get the blues utility spot.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

edwahu wrote:The Telecrap is reporting John Asiata will get the blues utility spot.
Didn’t Fittler say that he is a good player but we would need a few injuries before going g to Asiata.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

edwahu wrote: May 19, 2019, 4:45 pm The Telecrap is reporting John Asiata will get the blues utility spot.
He's the greatest player to ever lace a boot, from what i gathered from the commentary of the Cowboys game earlier.
He's made for origin, particularly because i've heard whispers that NRL insiders feel he compliments Morgan's game quite well
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

RTW wrote: May 19, 2019, 6:11 pm
edwahu wrote:The Telecrap is reporting John Asiata will get the blues utility spot.
Didn’t Fittler say that he is a good player but we would need a few injuries before going g to Asiata.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Honestly a mate just told me and I read the headline. I'm not paying to read the Telegraph.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Asiata? I don't watch him enough to comment. He seemed ok but nothing special.

I honestly think Jack should get it. He can play anywhere in the backline and be very good at it especially now he's proven he can be a good half. At dummy half he would scoot as good as anyone vs a tiring pack. He could play 2nd row no worries physically- we've all seen him bash 2nd rowers in a tackle and decision making wise well he's in the same boat as every other utility.

Defensively he's just cut out for origin. I know people hate that phrase but if you want a guy with speed, spark, creativity and versatility on the bench he ticks all those boxes and to a higher standard than most other candidates (Peachy? Really?) AND then you factor in you don't need to hide him, he'll be adding value in making your defence an offence which can be so vital in origin.

Daft not to pick him, the form he's in and the experience he has now.