Jack Wighton confirms switch to five eighth

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: Jack Wighton confirms switch to five eighth

Post by BJ »

SeeBee101 wrote:As i've said in previous posts, I think our lack of size in the middle will ensure teams make even more metres. Worrying signs....
Yeah me too. I think we need at least 1 monster. Just not the two we previously had.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I think the big boppers hurt in that regard, unless the opposition is dumb enough to run straight at them all the time.

Although again, the Roosters numbers are around the same for meters conceded per set, so I reckon the whole thing is overblown as a problem.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

It is frustrating to watch but it is how the modern game looks a lot of the time- we do it to plenty of teams once Rapana and BJ get us on a roll and as said, it happens to most teams most weeks.

I think the stats put us middle of the pack on metres conceded so yes I'd love to improve it but it's not a Raiders only issue.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Field position is important and I can't agree with any argument that says it isn't. So you put in work pushing the opposition back towards their try line in your attacking set and the half finds touch at the 10m. What's the point of doing this if you allow the opposition to march you back to your 20m line in the following set? I see this happen to the Raiders all the time - we put in a great attacking set, push them back to their try line, and somehow the opposition then march us back up the other end of the field and force a repeat set... we put ourselves under pressure time and time again through laziness and then wonder why we can't close out tight games. And then people here suggest that field position and containing your opposition doesn't matter... remarkable.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Raiders_Pat wrote: February 27, 2019, 2:14 pm Field position is important and I can't agree with any argument that says it isn't. So you put in work pushing the opposition back towards their try line in your attacking set and the half finds touch at the 10m. What's the point of doing this if you allow the opposition to march you back to your 20m line in the following set? I see this happen to the Raiders all the time - we put in a great attacking set, push them back to their try line, and somehow the opposition then march us back up the other end of the field and force a repeat set... we put ourselves under pressure time and time again through laziness and then wonder why we can't close out tight games. And then people here suggest that field position and containing your opposition doesn't matter... remarkable.
Except that's not what is being argued or has been said at all.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

PigRickman wrote:
Brew wrote: February 27, 2019, 10:23 am
PigRickman wrote:
The Rickman wrote: February 26, 2019, 3:46 pm
Brew wrote: February 26, 2019, 3:42 pm I’m Ricky’s biggest fan and even I can see that Jack at Five Eight is a train wreck. We will be halfway through the season and Sticky will be saying it’s a new halves pairing etc and they need time and before you know it we are doing the mathematics at Round 18 to see if we can scrape 8th spot.

Please prove me wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Well you're obviously not Ricky's biggest fan anymore Brew... MOVE ASIDE!!
Hit the bricks, Brewski

The Rickman and PigRickman are moving in, pal.

Change your pic to one with Ricky then we will talk.

Check and mate.

Ricky is making some major **** moves this year and i for one am complete behind him. He's nailed this off season. Perfect.

Love it

In Ricky We Trust
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I don't know if Wighton at 6 is going to work out, I have been saying since about the middle of last season why I think it makes sense but essentially it could backfire. I've given my reasons why I think it may result in more wins.

What absolutely makes me facepalm is commentary that we tried it 5 years ago so it couldn't possible work. I mean, surely it is possible for even the simplest mind to consider that a player that played and dominated a lot of junior footy in that position might also struggle in that position at first grade level in a very ordinary side. Then said player moved to fullback where he worked on his ballplaying and creating numbers and overlaps so has improved that aspect, but also stood 30 metres behind the defensive line observing how good playmakers exploit holes and weaknesses to give him a tough day directing traffic back there. And he's bigger and stronger since his first stint. Is he a better 5/8 than fullback or centre? I'm not sure. But I find it absolutely absurd that anyone would rule out him not being successful at 5/8 based on what they saw 5 years ago. That's thoughtless to me, players develop and Jack isn't even 30 so he's on the up not the down.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Woodgers wrote:I don't know if Wighton at 6 is going to work out, I have been saying since about the middle of last season why I think it makes sense but essentially it could backfire. I've given my reasons why I think it may result in more wins.

What absolutely makes me facepalm is commentary that we tried it 5 years ago so it couldn't possible work. I mean, surely it is possible for even the simplest mind to consider that a player that played and dominated a lot of junior footy in that position might also struggle in that position at first grade level in a very ordinary side. Then said player moved to fullback where he worked on his ballplaying and creating numbers and overlaps so has improved that aspect, but also stood 30 metres behind the defensive line observing how good playmakers exploit holes and weaknesses to give him a tough day directing traffic back there. And he's bigger and stronger since his first stint. Is he a better 5/8 than fullback or centre? I'm not sure. But I find it absolutely absurd that anyone would rule out him not being successful at 5/8 based on what they saw 5 years ago. That's thoughtless to me, players develop and Jack isn't even 30 so he's on the up not the down.
Agreed. The bigger concern is Stuart's inability to successfully develop a half over the past 15 years. But apparently he'll get it right this year?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

That will be his biggest challenge this season, blocking out the noise coming from near the $3 plastic Bunnings chairs in front of the dugout.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

Woodgers wrote: February 27, 2019, 8:28 pm I don't know if Wighton at 6 is going to work out, I have been saying since about the middle of last season why I think it makes sense but essentially it could backfire. I've given my reasons why I think it may result in more wins.

top quality posting imo, Woodgers
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Wait for the attacks if he doesn't perform like Thurston from the 1st minute.

Sent from my SM-N960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

The biggest concern with Jack's move to 5/8th is Sezer having to step up as a number 7 and CNK having to play fullback.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think that's a concern but i have the upmost confidence in our coach on the front.
This move was mooted about mid last year, this has been the plan for a while now, so im sure Stuart will have his halfback ready to go and his fullback on the same page.
VERY confident about this.
Green Chapel

Post by Green Chapel »

Wighton is ready and due for the switch imo.

Done all he can at fullback ....now needs to step up , and i think he will !!

Im just not sure about Sezer ?? The big pressure is on him to control the game for Raiders !

For some reason i think Williams and wighton mite gel a bit better in the halfs.

Anyhow , the first couple games will tell show us !!
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

AND they will be psychologically ready to go as well.....or at least they would've been if they were part of the Club 82 leadership group.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

luke wrote: February 28, 2019, 8:39 am
Woodgers wrote: February 27, 2019, 8:28 pm I don't know if Wighton at 6 is going to work out, I have been saying since about the middle of last season why I think it makes sense but essentially it could backfire. I've given my reasons why I think it may result in more wins.

top quality posting imo, Woodgers
I want to second that, he was starting in a team that had run it's course.
WorkChoice
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I said from last year, too - move him there and at least plug the defensive holes. Combinations in attack will take time, but I think he'll get there.

But in a team that keeps losing by 4, gee that try-a-week through the halves was hurting us.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: February 28, 2019, 5:17 am
Woodgers wrote:I don't know if Wighton at 6 is going to work out, I have been saying since about the middle of last season why I think it makes sense but essentially it could backfire. I've given my reasons why I think it may result in more wins.

Agreed. The bigger concern is Stuart's inability to successfully develop a half over the past 15 years. But apparently he'll get it right this year?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
He's ABSOLUTELY going to get it right this year, gergRickreg!!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: February 28, 2019, 11:31 am I said from last year, too - move him there and at least plug the defensive holes. Combinations in attack will take time, but I think he'll get there.

But in a team that keeps losing by 4, gee that try-a-week through the halves was hurting us.
Austin and Williams KILLED us last year, no ifs and buts about it
You can talk about the middles, you can talk about missing Hodgson, you can talk about Sezer... but for all the faults and issues with the team, we had what? 4-5 games that we were in position to win and should have won, and lost because Blake Austin and to a lesser extent, Sam Williams cant defend their line
We lost AT LEAST 8 competition points, if not 10-12. That's totally different season we're talking about here.

Rick saw it first hand and like any good coach he's made the right adjustment.
He's really nailed this
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: February 28, 2019, 11:49 am
T_R wrote: February 28, 2019, 11:31 am I said from last year, too - move him there and at least plug the defensive holes. Combinations in attack will take time, but I think he'll get there.

You can talk about the middles, you can talk about missing Hodgson, you can talk about Sezer... but for all the faults and issues with the team, we had what? 4-5 games that we were in position to win and should have won, and lost because Blake Austin and to a lesser extent, Sam Williams cant defend their line
We lost AT LEAST 8 competition points, if not 10-12. That's totally different season we're talking about here.

He's really nailed this
Yep, Stuart has absolutely killed it with everything he's done over the off-season, and it's showed in both trials. Big season ahead!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Rickman wrote:
PigRickman wrote: February 28, 2019, 11:49 am

He's really nailed this
Yep, Stuart has absolutely killed it with everything he's done over the off-season, and it's showed in both trials. Big season ahead!
:D

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

VIDEO: Hodgson says five-eighth right for Wighton

Canberra Raiders hooker Josh Hodgson backs Jack Wighton's move to five-eighth.

Video : https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/01/hod ... r-wighton/
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

Daley's advice to Wighton on five-eighth switch

Raiders legend Laurie Daley says he likes the overall look of the Canberra side for 2019, but had some words of wisdom for Jack Wighton in his move to five eighth.

"Patience. Patience with the ball and not be too eager to rush his plays or get things done," Daley said of the biggest thing Wighton will need to learn. "He has to learn how to take some breaths and watch the flow of the game and get the ball when he needs it and he sees an opportunity. Not just getting the ball for the sake of getting it."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/03/lau ... -canberra/
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Patience patience patience :clap: I really hope this move to 6 for Wighton will be good!!! Hope it’s not another development year.
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Ilanraiders wrote: March 4, 2019, 8:55 am Patience patience patience :clap: I really hope this move to 6 for Wighton will be good!!! Hope it’s not another development year.
For Wighton, it'll most definitely be a development year - I think just in the trials we've seen that.

But I still think he's our best option in the #6

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

T_R wrote: March 4, 2019, 9:07 am
Ilanraiders wrote: March 4, 2019, 8:55 am Patience patience patience :clap: I really hope this move to 6 for Wighton will be good!!! Hope it’s not another development year.
For Wighton, it'll most definitely be a development year - I think just in the trials we've seen that.

But I still think he's our best option in the #6
Of course you do Team_Rick
Dont delete this GE
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Normally you would say its too late in Wighton's career to be 'developing' as he's been around for ages. Thing is he's only just turned 26 and still has plenty of years ahead. Same age Lockyer switched to 5/8 I believe.

Question is how long do you give him? Lockyer was an instant success, which came as no real surprise.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Northern Raider wrote: March 4, 2019, 10:03 am Normally you would say its too late in Wighton's career to be 'developing' as he's been around for ages. Thing is he's only just turned 26 and still has plenty of years ahead. Same age Lockyer switched to 5/8 I believe.

Question is how long do you give him? Lockyer was an instant success, which came as no real surprise.
Fullback to 5/8 is probably less of a stretch these days than it would have once been

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

T_R wrote: March 4, 2019, 10:10 am
Northern Raider wrote: March 4, 2019, 10:03 am Normally you would say its too late in Wighton's career to be 'developing' as he's been around for ages. Thing is he's only just turned 26 and still has plenty of years ahead. Same age Lockyer switched to 5/8 I believe.

Fullback to 5/8 is probably less of a stretch these days than it would have once been
In some respects yes. Biggest differences are you play primarily left or right, get your hands on the ball earlier and more tactical kicking is required. You are the ball player starting the moves rather than being the link man. With the Lockyer transition they wasn't much question about his game management ability. It more his ability to handle the increase defensive workload. With Jack it would be the other way round.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Sezer's a confidence player. Handing him the 7 and telling him it's his and being patient with it will give him some.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

hrundi89 wrote: March 4, 2019, 11:45 am Sezer's a confidence player. Handing him the 7 and telling him it's his and being patient with it will give him some.
And after a couple of rounds when he realises the mediocrity of the last 3 years was not an anomaly, that confidence will be taken away again.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: March 4, 2019, 10:44 am

In some respects yes. Biggest differences are you play primarily left or right, get your hands on the ball earlier and more tactical kicking is required. You are the ball player starting the moves rather than being the link man. With the Lockyer transition they wasn't much question about his game management ability. It more his ability to handle the increase defensive workload. With Jack it would be the other way round.
In the modern times of split halves, FBs play what would be considered the 2nd receiver or traditional 5/8 role of yesteryear. We have seen what Jack can do with ball in hand, esp down the left edge from FB. The 2nd half of the trial vs the Dogs was proof that its still there. We have also seen him tackle from FB. I think the transition will be better this time around. However, only time will tell.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Matt wrote: March 4, 2019, 12:15 pm
Northern Raider wrote: March 4, 2019, 10:44 am

In the modern times of split halves, FBs play what would be considered the 2nd receiver or traditional 5/8 role of yesteryear. We have seen what Jack can do with ball in hand, esp down the left edge from FB. The 2nd half of the trial vs the Dogs was proof that its still there. We have also seen him tackle from FB. I think the transition will be better this time around. However, only time will tell.
I don't think skill set is a concern, I think decision making under pressure is.

Its not a lack of skill that gets Jack to pass a cutout to the 3rd row of the grandstand, and kick a ball dead from 20 mts out, drop a sitter bomb - its general lack of 'calmness'. While he looked to have these issues ironed out at fullback, it took a couple of years for him to grow into the role. My concern is that it will take him a similar time to adjust to his new role of setting up plays and kicks, rather than being a link within.

I think the wraps on Jack from people like Sticky are because they can see what a naturally gifted freak he is on the training paddock - his lack of rep honours is due to the fact he takes a while to implement these talents in the real world.

Hope beyond hope I am proven wrong this year, but Id say by the time he warms to the role, the season will be passed us.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Lockyer was recognised as a top 3 player in the game at the stage of his move, with a heap of rep experience already. Wighton would be somewhere around the top 70 or 80 I'd imagine.

Wighton has really only had 2017 and 2018 when he wasn't in development mode, and he had a shocking first half of 2017. He's up there with Jarred Mullen as one of the worst returns on investment in recent years. Hopefully this is the making of him.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Coastalraider wrote: March 4, 2019, 12:27 pm Its not a lack of skill that gets Jack to pass a cutout to the 3rd row of the grandstand, and kick a ball dead from 20 mts out, drop a sitter bomb - its general lack of 'calmness'. While he looked to have these issues ironed out at fullback, it took a couple of years for him to grow into the role. My concern is that it will take him a similar time to adjust to his new role of setting up plays and kicks, rather than being a link within.
This I completely agree with. There's a panic reaction to Wighton that other teams will be licking their lips over.