Jack Wighton confirms switch to five eighth

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

T_R
Don Furner

Re: Jack Wighton confirms switch to five eighth

Post by T_R »

I think there's a gulf in ability, style is definitely similar.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I really think Jack’s switch to five-eighth is a big reason for us being 2-1 to start the season

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

greeneyed wrote: March 31, 2019, 3:14 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: March 31, 2019, 1:41 pm
greeneyed wrote: March 30, 2019, 7:24 pm
Woodgers wrote: March 30, 2019, 5:57 pm I'm happy to respectfully disagree with the harsh comments on Jack last night. I'd just reiterate that while people judge the errors you also need to view it in the full context of all the stuff he is getting right that are all effort such as the kick chase, bringing the line up with him in defence, rucking the ball out like an extra fullback and pressuring the kicker when he can.

I think he'll be a good 5/8. He has the power to be a good pivot in attack and defence. I do agree with Lastraider though, Ricky needs to pull him back a bit and stop him trying to be a halfback, that's not his job. He's a running 5/8 and it is on Ricky to get a 7 in there that can play like he used to in order to allow Jack to play like Daley did. Jack has those running attributes but he's not an overly smart player so we need to find a way to simplify it for him.

I believe Jack will be the best defensive half in the comp by the middle of the year. I think at the moment his tackling technique is excellent but he's just adjusting the the quick shifts in the line and working with new bodies and combinations. I was surprised that Ramien got the better of him but once I saw it a few times I realised that I had to credit the attacking player there rather than search for faults with the defender. It happens. Leilua and our outside backs regularly do that to other defenders and we applaud the running game without giving thought to what opposition fans think of the defending. Sometimes the ball runner is too strong.
Good post Woodgers. I don't think Jack had a good game last night, the five errors and at least one try cause were pretty significant. He did do a lot of other good things... which is why I gave him a pass mark in my player ratings. I think the coach is right, Jack is on a good path, kept his head up after the errors, and I think he'll make a very good, possibly elite, Daley style five eighth.
:roflmao

Lozza Wighton huh? Ridiculous comparison even saying Daley style. Wighton has about 20% of the attacking skills Daley had, and is also an inferior team defender.
It wasn't a comparison. It was saying he could play the same style of five eighth that Daley did, that is a running five eighth.
Shaun Timmins would be a better comparison point. Daley was a great ball runner but he had so much more to has game with kicking and game control that Wighton will never get close to matching.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

The backline today is little like it was in the 90s in Daley's area. It simply wasn't the block-plays it is now, in some ways barely resembles it. In those days you had inside and outside centre who played alongside each other, and the five-eighth was like an inside-inside centre. You'd generally line up directly against your opposite number. As a result, the five-eighth then could much more easily be one-on-one against a defender, hence Fittler's famous step etc. They are really a second halfback now. Munster would be the most running five-eighth you can get these days, but even he does a significant amount of passing and kicking. Bottom line is that it is an organising role now. Milford and Ponga have both failed at five-eighth because their running is restricted. Blake Austin tried to be a running five-eighth and it just ended up looking weird, doing random runs in the middle of the ruck.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Canberra Milk wrote: April 1, 2019, 4:06 pm The backline today is little like it was in the 90s in Daley's area. It simply wasn't the block-plays it is now, in some ways barely resembles it. In those days you had inside and outside centre who played alongside each other, and the five-eighth was like an inside-inside centre. You'd generally line up directly against your opposite number. As a result, the five-eighth then could much more easily be one-on-one against a defender, hence Fittler's famous step etc. They are really a second halfback now. Munster would be the most running five-eighth you can get these days, but even he does a significant amount of passing and kicking. Bottom line is that it is an organising role now. Milford and Ponga have both failed at five-eighth because their running is restricted. Blake Austin tried to be a running five-eighth and it just ended up looking weird, doing random runs in the middle of the ruck.
Exactly. Think about Daley's highlights with his running game, stepping and powering his way through in midfield from within the opposition 20. I don't remember Wighton ever doing this, or anyone in the NRL doing it with anywhere near the consistency that Fitler, Daley and Johns would. The defensive lines today just don't allow halves to get through close to the line.
Last edited by Roger Kenworthy on April 1, 2019, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Daley had the benefit of learning his craft from one of the best centres and halves to play the game.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 1, 2019, 5:51 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: April 1, 2019, 4:06 pm The backline today is little like it was in the 90s in Daley's area. It simply wasn't the block-plays it is now, in some ways barely resembles it. In those days you had inside and outside centre who played alongside each other, and the five-eighth was like an inside-inside centre. You'd generally line up directly against your opposite number. As a result, the five-eighth then could much more easily be one-on-one against a defender, hence Fittler's famous step etc. They are really a second halfback now. Munster would be the most running five-eighth you can get these days, but even he does a significant amount of passing and kicking. Bottom line is that it is an organising role now. Milford and Ponga have both failed at five-eighth because their running is restricted. Blake Austin tried to be a running five-eighth and it just ended up looking weird, doing random runs in the middle of the ruck.
Exactly. Think about Daley's highlights with his running game, stepping and powering his way through in midfield from within the opposition 20. I don't remember Wighton ever doing this, or anyone in the NRL doing it with anywhere near the consistency that Fitler, Daley and Johns would. The defensive lines today just don't allow halves to get through close to the line.
Jack gets pretty close- the number of times he's dragged down a metre out...

Jack is a big athletic bloke same as Freddy or Daley were, but they were genius and Jack is just a similar style, but a grade down in talent. That's not an insult, it's like saying Ricky was a genius halfback but Cliffy Lyons or Mitchell Pearce are a step down in talent.

I think Jack took a similar path to learning that sweep play on the left. He's a great athlete but it takes him time to get his head around a subtlety- he's not a "footballer" like Bateman or Croker snr or whoever who just gets it straight away. Jack can make his running game deadly as a half, he'll just need a season to figure it all out. His instinct is balls to the wall 100mph and he's a hard man to bring down, after a while he figured out how/when to pass out to Toots or cut to Cotric and he made that edge deadly.

He can learn, he's not Joey. He's humble. I'm not saying he'll be a legend half but I think there is more than enough to his kicking game (balance appropriately HODGO, Jack for most long but not all, and only as second or third option close/medium), running game and passing skills to be a pretty good half. Honestly look at NRL halves these days vs Stuart era- the comp is NOT flush with complete halves. Most are makeshift.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I think Wighton at 6 has been our best option for some time with the roster we have. One of the reasons was defence. While it was disappointing to see him beaten so convincingly one on one by Ramien and then with a poor decision that lead to the Knights other try I am confident he will prove to be very solid over the course of the year. I'm also confident his kicking game will be OK over the course of the year despite some ordinary efforts last week.

What I am most concerned about is that little jink he puts on when getting the ball in the opposition 20m which pushes him left immediately. It is fine to do that as a centre or even fullback when getting the ball 2 or 3 wide off the ruck. But at first receiver it pushes him and his outside men wider than they need to be which makes them easier targets to the defensive line. He needs to be far more direct in his first few steps which will open up avenues for his outside men and make the defenders make the choice, not us make the choice for them.

Just my thoughts, I think he will be good in the role and will keep working hard to improve.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

BadnMean wrote: April 1, 2019, 8:56 pm

Jack is a big athletic bloke same as Freddy or Daley were, but they were genius and Jack is just a similar style, but a grade down in talent. That's not an insult, it's like saying Ricky was a genius halfback but Cliffy Lyons or Mitchell Pearce are a step down in talent.

I think Jack took a similar path to learning that sweep play on the left. He's a great athlete but it takes him time to get his head around a subtlety- he's not a "footballer" like Bateman or Croker snr or whoever who just gets it straight away. Jack can make his running game deadly as a half, he'll just need a season to figure it all out. His instinct is balls to the wall 100mph and he's a hard man to bring down, after a while he figured out how/when to pass out to Toots or cut to Cotric and he made that edge deadly.

He can learn, he's not Joey. He's humble. I'm not saying he'll be a legend half but I think there is more than enough to his kicking game (balance appropriately HODGO, Jack for most long but not all, and only as second or third option close/medium), running game and passing skills to be a pretty good half. Honestly look at NRL halves these days vs Stuart era- the comp is NOT flush with complete halves. Most are makeshift.
He has done enough in his first few games to still be the first half picked. Sezer and Williams have much more glaring shortcomings as a duo than either of them paired with Wighton, so at least we'll give him a really good run at 6 this time before pulling the plug.

I also think we add a bit at the back with positioning for kick receptions with CNK back there. It may be my imagination (and a small sample size) but we seem to be starting sets much more on the front foot with the way he attacks the ball.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote: April 1, 2019, 8:56 pm

Yeah, I'm right on board with you about Wighton. All the attributes are there to make him a deadly attacking option. He's a hard man to handle 1 on 1 just due to his size and power. Once he learns how to draw defenders and release his outside men, he'll be fantastic. He'll also put the outside defender in two minds, giving him more 1 on 1 chances close to the line.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Ive got to admit that Jack is picking up the five eight job much much faster than I thought.

I cant recall any stupid brain fade errors in the last couple of weeks, and he looks like the most threatening player in our squad right now. I found myself getting excited yesterday when the play shifted to the left, as he is always up to something now. Earlier in the season I was just praying he wouldn't mess it up.

Well done to Jack, Im very impressed with how quick he is adapting. he is threatening with his running, his pass selection is very good, his kicking is improving, and its bloody great to see him in the defensive line more often - especially laying out second rowers like he did yesterday!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Early on we saw plenty of quality play alongside some bad errors which were offsetting. Last couple of weeks he's tempered the approach a touch and the clangers have disappeared. He's also getting more finesse into his kicking game.

I said at the start of the season that I think he needs to be better at 5/8 than he was at fullback for this switch to be a success. After 9 weeks I'd say he has and it's been a big contributor to our current ladder position.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

Oh shock horror the internet experts might not have known what they were talking about.......how unusual.
Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

T_R wrote: March 31, 2019, 4:45 pm I think there's a gulf in ability, style is definitely similar.
About a tenth of the gulf between your opinion and your ability.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Keghead wrote: May 13, 2019, 2:26 pm Oh shock horror the internet experts might not have known what they were talking about.......how unusual.
Great contribution.

My angle was always that he had skills to be a 6, but that it would take a long time for hi to get to the point where he was comfortable. Exactly like it took him a couple of years to get comfortable in the fullback role and really start playing to his potential. He has really adapted significantly faster than I thought he would, and Im ecstatic have that shoved in my face.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Looks like we need a reminder in here too.
Please return to the thread topic for this discussion.
Thanks
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Is there a reason why Keg's off-topic posts are still here?
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Because he was right and it deserves to be in all your faces, especially yours, but especially barts
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

It’s great that my posts got deleted though... really good work, guys

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Massive kudos to the bloke tbh.

I’m not saying he’s our best player but I think with how the squad is atm he is definitely our most important player.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

hrundi89 wrote: May 13, 2019, 6:53 pm Is there a reason why Keg's off-topic posts are still here?
I would imagine that it's because of his deep insights into the game of rugby league.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Rickman wrote: May 13, 2019, 7:08 pm It’s great that my posts got deleted though... really good work, guys

And they were brilliant. BRILLIANT.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: May 13, 2019, 7:06 pm Because he was right and it deserves to be in all your faces, especially yours, but especially barts
:lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

T_R wrote: May 13, 2019, 8:17 pm
hrundi89 wrote: May 13, 2019, 6:53 pm Is there a reason why Keg's off-topic posts are still here?
I would imagine that it's because of his deep insights into the game of rugby league.
Does that qualify him as an internet expert?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

If the rumours are true, as long as Wighton stays injury free, he will be playing for the Blues this year off the bench.

Completes a pretty remarkable turnaround for the guy - I love watching players like him through our juniors and up through the grade - very rewarding for us fans. Still remember his debut against the Titans - this will be a very proud moment for him if it turns out to be true. Will give him a lot of confidence back at the Raiders, too.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

you'd think he's a shot at the vacant right centre position too.
Edrick The Entertainer
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

bonehead wrote: May 15, 2019, 3:37 pm you'd think he's a shot at the vacant right centre position too.
Yeah except that Jack plays on the left.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Beejay wrote: May 15, 2019, 4:02 pm
bonehead wrote: May 15, 2019, 3:37 pm you'd think he's a shot at the vacant right centre position too.
...and doesn't play centre.

Thats the bizarre part of most media commentary. They seem happy to talk up a player out of position but don't believe a left centre can play right centre.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

His last two games have been Daleyesque. There. I’ve said it. He’s the next Laurie Daley. Best new Laurie since Mark McLinden 😂
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Northern Raider wrote: May 15, 2019, 4:40 pm
...and doesn't play centre.

Thats the bizarre part of most media commentary. They seem happy to talk up a player out of position but don't believe a left centre can play right centre.
Honestly, they almost seem desperate for any excuse not to pick Croker at this point.

But I'd be incredibly happy for Jack if he's picked as a utility. He strikes me this season as someone desperate to prove that he was worth a second chance, interviews seem to indicate that he's got his head screwed on straight, and he's playing very well. Plus, with his skills, experience, and body shape, he's almost a perfect utility.

And I gotta eat some crow, because I was screaming at the start of the year how stupid this idea was, it didn't work last time why would moving Jack to five-eighth work this time, and...well...uh, yeah, I was really bloody wrong, wasn't I?
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

He played on the right as a centre.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

edwahu wrote: May 15, 2019, 9:16 pm
When was that?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Northern Raider wrote: May 15, 2019, 9:19 pm
When was that?
Back in the day.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/match ... 0tLS0tLQ==
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Laurie Daley saying Josh Morris is the favourite for that right centre, Wighton in the frame, Croker's defence suspect.
Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

edwahu wrote: May 15, 2019, 9:22 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 15, 2019, 9:19 pm
When was that?
Back in the day.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/match ... 0tLS0tLQ==
Haha, I don't really remember that. I was probably too enraptured by our spine of Robinson, Campo, McCrone and Buttriss. :lol: