The most underrated player in Canberra Raiders history

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: The most underrated player in Canberra Raiders history

Post by -TW- »

I loved Shillo until he got all preachy about fans booing their performance when they were down 30-0 at halftime against the titans

It was obvious they didn't put in that day, so they deserved to be booed..

And his column got canned after that
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Tough to name just one.

Each decade had it's contenders:

80s:

I agree Dean Lance was/is under rated (forgotten).

Ash Gilbert.
Ivan Henjak.
Chris O'Sullivan

90s:

Brett Hetherington
David Westley
Mark Corvo
David Boyle

00s

Shifcofske
Tongue
Troy Thompson
Thurling

2010 on

Matt McIlwrick

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
luffraider
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Fensom

Post by luffraider »

Has anyone said Scott Logan?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

luffraider wrote:Has anyone said Scott Logan?
How could I forget..
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

luffraider wrote: January 7, 2019, 9:39 pm Has anyone said Scott Logan?
Love him! Surely no Raiders fan would underrate him.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

dubby wrote: January 7, 2019, 9:38 pm Tough to name just one.

Each decade had it's contenders:

80s:

I agree Dean Lance was/is under rated (forgotten).

Ash Gilbert.
Ivan Henjak.
Chris O'Sullivan

90s:

Brett Hetherington
David Westley
Mark Corvo
David Boyle

00s

Shifcofske
Tongue
Troy Thompson
Thurling

2010 on

Matt McIlwrick

I don't agree at all. For the 80s, Chris O'Sullivan. Nah for the 90s. Schif for thew 00's maybe. 2010 on you are kidding.

Forgetting the decades (because I want to), I'd say the most underrated are...

For Raiders fans, the players that we forget how much we were excited by them: Sean Hoppe, Mark McLinden, Trevor Thurling, Phil Graham, Scott Logan, David Milne, jeez even Colin Best. Purts never excited me...

For the RL fan in general, I'd say Brent Todd, Chris O'Sullivan, Schif, Leslie Vainikolo, Papa, Dean Lance, and Adam Mogg.

In fact, I'd say Adam Mogg wins everything, hands down. Tell me who was both better and less rated...
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Samson Backo, Terry Fahey
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Luke Davico
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Pigman wrote: January 7, 2019, 8:41 pm
greeneyed wrote: January 7, 2019, 8:36 pm Yes, but not close to Belcher or Mullins.
In resume, no.
In talent, and as i said, if a WAR stat was created, i'd bet my mortgage he'd leave them for dead. Schif dragged horrible teams to respectable seasons. Mullins and Badge were finishing pieces in line ups that couldnt sniff the salary cap in canberra for Schif's time. Stacked line ups. 8-9-10 or more internationals in those sides. Schif was a one man band.

If you want to say Schif isnt as good as those guys, that's fine... "Not close"
That's why he's the most underrated player in our history imo. It's much closer than you're saying. Much.
Yeah, I have to agree there. Choc was a far more rounded footballer than Mullins. I'd love to have him in our current squad. He could do it all in attack and defence.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Phil Carey
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Some good names here. O'Sullivan, Martin, Lance, Choc, Hoppe, Logan all very under-rated players IMO. Nobody remembers that O'Sullivan was our 5/8 in two premierships and three grand finals.

Ashley Gilbert was a fave of mine from the early days. A very good old school second rower. Ivan Henjak was a pretty handy halfback too.

Josh Miller hands down for mine in more recent times. :thumbsup
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

-PJ- wrote:Phil Carey
Yep. Very under rated player.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Agree with pigman it’s Schifcofske.

Second for mine is Mogg. Signed as a reserve grader essentially and was a top tier centre for the majority of his time with us imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Moggy was great for us. He really hit a purple patch of form while in green.

Would I be right in saying he's debuted in Origin while with us !!

Best #7 ever..
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I've been around a bit and can remember a lot of our players dating back plenty..lucky me right ?

These guys aren't underrated/overrated etc but more journeymen, battlers toilers.
Ok.
Tyran Smith, Michael Hodgson,Ryan Ohara, Kris Kahler,Willie Raston, Matt Bickerstaff, Ben Jones,Glen Turner,Ian Hindmarsh, Matt Adamson, Ben Cross, Jason Williams(remember him..fatter than JnrPaulo),Andrew Lomu, Alan Rothery(who's still playing in Qld somewhere, his player profile says his favourite NRL side is the Broncos),Terry Martin.

All these guys are forwards who wore our jersey..Wow !!
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

I agree with many here. Moggy , Choc and Logan were great for us.

I'm going to throw one out there. Jason Croker. He made 5 NSW appearances and 5 for Australia in 2000 World Cup .
Toots should have played many more rep games. I don't know how he missed the 94 Kangaroo tour. He wasn't underrated by Raider fans and probably not underrated by the time his career finished.

Sent from my SM-N960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

-PJ- wrote: January 8, 2019, 7:33 am I've been around a bit and can remember a lot of our players dating back plenty..lucky me right ?

These guys aren't underrated/overrated etc but more journeymen, battlers toilers.
Ok.
Tyran Smith, Michael Hodgson,Ryan Ohara, Kris Kahler,Willie Raston, Matt Bickerstaff, Ben Jones,Glen Turner,Ian Hindmarsh, Matt Adamson, Ben Cross, Jason Williams(remember him..fatter than JnrPaulo),Andrew Lomu, Alan Rothery(who's still playing in Qld somewhere, his player profile says his favourite NRL side is the Broncos),Terry Martin.

From that list I reckon the only truly under rated Raiders there are Michael Hodgson and Ian Hindmarsh. Both great, tough no nonsense signings and players.

Gee there are some horrible second rowers on that list though: Kahler, Jones, Bickerstaff and Turner. Ugh.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

julian87 wrote: January 8, 2019, 8:06 am
-PJ- wrote: January 8, 2019, 7:33 am I've been around a bit and can remember a lot of our players dating back plenty..lucky me right ?

Ok.

From that list I reckon the only truly under rated Raiders there are Michael Hodgson and Ian Hindmarsh. Both great, tough no nonsense signings and players.

Gee there are some horrible second rowers on that list though: Kahler, Jones, Bickerstaff and Turner. Ugh.
A lot of those players I mentioned above were adequate 1st grade standard and some not so much. And filled in our gaps around superstars at the time..Woolford, Croker, Wiki, Campese, Choc,Logan, Davico, Weyman etc..
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Michael Hodgson was certainly the goods. 😊
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Seiffert82 wrote: January 8, 2019, 8:21 am Michael Hodgson was certainly the goods. 😊
The one and only..Original Hodgo :thumbsup
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

The most underrated player in Canberra Raiders history

Post by The Nickman »

Ruben Daley wrote:
luffraider wrote: January 7, 2019, 9:39 pm Has anyone said Scott Logan?
Love him! Surely no Raiders fan would underrate him.
Sorry, but I just never really got around Scott Logan as a fan. I really can’t understand why this forum rate him so highly... did he used to post here or something?

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Ok.

I agree with others that Hodgson was very good, he is a level above the players on that list. Definitely underrated.

Hindmarsh was a decent player as well. O'hara was actually really good until the interchange reduction caught up with his lack of fitness, he would punch out 100+ meters a week against some very good packs.

The rest of the list are very forgettable.
Last edited by edwahu on January 8, 2019, 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

-TW- wrote: January 7, 2019, 9:16 pm I loved Shillo until he got all preachy about fans booing their performance when they were down 30-0 at halftime against the titans

That's what I mean, it's like that's the main thing people remember about him even though he was our best front rower and one of our most consistent players in a long time.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I'd have to go with O'Sullivan.

I think Lance got his props as a killer defender among anyone who watched the game at the time and was captain for a period, which suggests he wasn't under rated.

O'Sullivan was our starting 5/8 in 2 premierships- and no p[passenger either! If you watch those old semi's or big games or finals his kicking game is BIG, he passes well, schemes in attack, darts. He's a major contributor that you'd expect from a starting half in a gun team. But mostly forgotten.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The more I think about this, the more I'm thinking it's Chris O'Sullivan.
Mr dependable. Never stuffed up. Did everything right. Played with heart and passion every week.

I agree Shif was under rated, but not by many raiders fans. We loved the guy. He was very close to Matt Elliott, even defending him in a press conference in the face of intense fan frustration (thanks woodgers!)

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Michael Hodgson and Adam Mogg are both very good modern Raiders nominations.
Mogg in particular was as stead as they came, not a lot of 9/10 games for him, but he was a 6.5/7 or higher every damn game. Consistently very good.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: January 7, 2019, 8:12 pmGary Coyne?
You know, someone on Twitter said "Gary Belcher". And my reaction was "what?" But I guess that's in similar vein.

Clearly, represented Queensland and Australia. But I do think that he's underrated by many Raiders fans who are only old enough to remember Brett Mullins.

And Coyne often forgotten.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Also i'll go to my grave saying Matt Bickerstaff isn't worthy of being named along side the Kris Kahler's of the world
Bickerstaff was signed on a good sized deal after a really good year with the Dragons.

Now you might knock him as a **** **** because he clearly took our money when his body was broken. But maybe that's on our medical team not being dilligent... but he played 2 games for us before basically retiring hurt... and he was excellent in his first game and solid at worst in his second. He was a good player who was broken
edwahu wrote: January 8, 2019, 9:27 am
-TW- wrote: January 7, 2019, 9:16 pm I loved Shillo until he got all preachy about fans booing their performance when they were down 30-0 at halftime against the titans

That's what I mean, it's like that's the main thing people remember about him even though he was our best front rower and one of our most consistent players in a long time.
Shillington was one of the best 2-3 front rowers in the game for about 3-4 years, he was our best and most consistent world class footballer and everyone hates him because he resented being boo'd on his home field. Haha. Whether that's right or wrong, i dont know. But he's 100% under-rated.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

greeneyed wrote: January 8, 2019, 11:15 am
T_R wrote: January 7, 2019, 8:12 pmGary Coyne?
You know, someone on Twitter said "Gary Belcher". And my reaction was "what?" But I guess that's in similar vein.

Clearly, represented Queensland and Australia. But I do think that he's underrated by many Raiders fans who are only old enough to remember Brett Mullins.

And Coyne often forgotten.
I kind of agree on Belcher. Lots of recent fans genuinely think Lockyer was the first fullback to chime into a backline. He should be in hall of fame discussions but doesn't get a mention.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Pigman wrote: January 8, 2019, 11:16 am Also i'll go to my grave saying Matt Bickerstaff isn't worthy of being named along side the Kris Kahler's of the world
Bickerstaff was signed on a good sized deal after a really good year with the Dragons.

Now you might knock him as a **** **** because he clearly took our money when his body was broken. But maybe that's on our medical team not being dilligent... but he played 2 games for us before basically retiring hurt... and he was excellent in his first game and solid at worst in his second. He was a good player who was broken
edwahu wrote: January 8, 2019, 9:27 am

Shillington was one of the best 2-3 front rowers in the game for about 3-4 years, he was our best and most consistent world class footballer and everyone hates him because he resented being boo'd on his home field. Haha. Whether that's right or wrong, i dont know. But he's 100% under-rated.
I reckon this is the main thing is disagree with you on about all things rugby league. He was a decent defender but I just never rated the bloke at all really. Definitely not a premium player anyway.

Each to their own though.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

14 tests and 8 Origins is the best objective evidence for how good he was.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Scott Logan was super consistent. Rated him crucial to the team.

I also thought Glen Turner was very good for a little while, but then when his time was up it became pretty obvious.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

BJ Mole reports Matt Rua as our most underrated.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

BJ wrote: January 8, 2019, 1:37 pm BJ Mole reports Matt Rua as our most underrated.
It would've been awesome to watch him defending next to Wiki in 2003.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

edwahu wrote:
BJ wrote: January 8, 2019, 1:37 pm BJ Mole reports Matt Rua as our most underrated.
It would've been awesome to watch him defending next to Wiki in 2003.
Yep he could hit.