The most underrated player in Canberra Raiders history

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: The most underrated player in Canberra Raiders history

Post by RedRaider »

Germ was very average imo Ed. Also had a big mouth with not a lot to talk about. I remember him passing behind forwards and then getting up them for not catching the ball. A legend in his own mind who as a captain put the Raiders offside with every Ref in the NRl because of the way he spoke. Sour face and attitude. The first Raiders player who I thought must have been there due to reasons other than form. I still don't know how he racked up more than 200 games for the Raiders.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

RedRaider wrote:Germ was very average imo Ed. Also had a big mouth with not a lot to talk about. I remember him passing behind forwards and then getting up them for not catching the ball. A legend in his own mind who as a captain put the Raiders offside with every Ref in the NRl because of the way he spoke. Sour face and attitude. The first Raiders player who I thought must have been there due to reasons other than form. I still don't know how he racked up more than 200 games for the Raiders.

I would not be the least bit surprised if he is the next coach. It is out of him or McFadden.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

RTW wrote: January 9, 2019, 8:19 pm
RedRaider wrote:Germ was very average imo Ed. Also had a big mouth with not a lot to talk about. I remember him passing behind forwards and then getting up them for not catching the ball. A legend in his own mind who as a captain put the Raiders offside with every Ref in the NRl because of the way he spoke. Sour face and attitude. The first Raiders player who I thought must have been there due to reasons other than form. I still don't know how he racked up more than 200 games for the Raiders.

I would not be the least bit surprised if he is the next coach. It is out of him or McFadden.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
While it would not surprise me RTW, it would definitely put the lemon face on the image of the Raiders. Something a Club who is chasing sponsors could well do without. He would put the 'bitters' into lemon, lime and ....
Westsydneyraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Westsydneyraider »

In no order
Davico, Tongue, Phil Graham
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Jay Hoffman is an excellent addition to this list.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Phil Graham is a good shout too, good call.

Always remembered for being flashy and fast but he was a really, really good centre for quite some time for mine. Always a better centre than a winger and being dropped for Bulgarelli sort of underlines how under rated he was at times.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

RedRaider wrote: January 9, 2019, 8:16 pm Germ was very average imo Ed.
Agreed, i think in the moment i was a fan of his, probably because his style of play (a player who used niggle and **** talking, and trying hard to overcome obvious talent deficiencies) was similar to my own albeit as vastly different levels, haha. But everyone seemed to like him in those days and feel like he was under-rated. But he was not an especially good player, and i sour more and more on him as a player as time goes on.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Yeah, I don't think he was great, just not terrible. Probably middle of the pack amongst hookers until the tail end of his career with a couple of better and worse seasons thrown in. He was a massive whinger and annoying bloke which does impact people's view of his football

At the time of the Priddis call I think things were much less certain as to who was better. Germ played very well early on and had a few more strings to his bow compared to Priddis. I don't think there would be outrage if we took a similar call on two players today.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

At a club like ours, knowing what we know and rewinding back almost 2 decades, it would be a strong bet to suggest that that decision had far more to do with who drank beers with the farmers out at QBN Leagues Club and less to do about a football comparison where the playing abilities at that time were similar enough for it not to matter over the biases.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wasn’t News and Kevin Neil in charge at that time?
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

Can't remember GE. As it stands right now basically all the manure of 25 years has blended into one massive rissole.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

greeneyed wrote: January 10, 2019, 9:04 am Wasn’t News and Kevin Neil in charge at that time?
Yeah, Priddis left in 1998, same year as Stuart and Clyde.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

Then I regret and retract my defamatory slur on the fine gentlemen of QBN. I'm sure they are all upstanding citizens and completely independent of any decision making at the CRDRLFC at that particular time.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Woodgers wrote: January 10, 2019, 9:28 am Then I regret and retract my defamatory slur on the fine gentlemen of QBN. I'm sure they are all upstanding citizens and completely independent of any decision making at the CRDRLFC at that particular time.
High time they got this apology.
It's been a long time coming.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

Pigman wrote: January 10, 2019, 9:30 am
Woodgers wrote: January 10, 2019, 9:28 am Then I regret and retract my defamatory slur on the fine gentlemen of QBN. I'm sure they are all upstanding citizens and completely independent of any decision making at the CRDRLFC at that particular time.
High time they got this apology.
It's been a long time coming.
Call it an olive branch. I'll eagerly await my apology in the mail for all the pain and suffering caused at their end. Some tickets in the Thursday night meat raffle as a sweetener wouldn't go astray either.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Woodgers wrote:At a club like ours, knowing what we know and rewinding back almost 2 decades, it would be a strong bet to suggest that that decision had far more to do with who drank beers with the farmers out at QBN Leagues Club and less to do about a football comparison where the playing abilities at that time were similar enough for it not to matter over the biases.
If memory serves, it was reported at the time that one of them had to go for salary cap reasons, and Woolford still had a year on his contract.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Woodgers wrote:At a club like ours, knowing what we know and rewinding back almost 2 decades, it would be a strong bet to suggest that that decision had far more to do with who drank beers with the farmers out at QBN Leagues Club and less to do about a football comparison where the playing abilities at that time were similar enough for it not to matter over the biases.
If memory serves, it was reported at the time that one of them had to go for salary cap reasons, and Woolford still had a year on his contract.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

Ok I concede I was hasty with my remarks and have stumbled across one solitary thing that the farm isn't responsible for through this horrible Raiders supporting existence. We will probably find out down the track that Woolford was signed up by the farm at age 10 to a 19 year inflated contract which crippled EVERYTHING. But for now I'll waddle away with tail firmly between legs....
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: January 9, 2019, 9:49 am Why did we not sign M Monas? Was that another Elliott brain wave? Elliott had a tendency to not blood juniors

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Yeah, almost as criminal as letting Paul Vaughan go.
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

edwahu wrote: January 10, 2019, 9:20 am
greeneyed wrote: January 10, 2019, 9:04 am Wasn’t News and Kevin Neil in charge at that time?
Given the ability of Clyde and Stuart, the performance of Priddis in the years to come, that was one monster black hole created.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote:
dubby wrote: January 9, 2019, 9:49 am Why did we not sign M Monas? Was that another Elliott brain wave? Elliott had a tendency to not blood juniors

Yeah, almost as criminal as letting Paul Vaughan go.
Vaughan was a huge loss, no question.

But, I'm sure you'll find he was a bit loose off field.

We'll probably never know the full story. So on the surface it's easy to say "stupid decision to let him go".

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Johno wrote: January 10, 2019, 5:56 pm
edwahu wrote: January 10, 2019, 9:20 am
Given the ability of Clyde and Stuart, the performance of Priddis in the years to come, that was one monster black hole created.
They lost Hetherington and Boyle that year as well. Kennedy and Westley a year later.

There wasn't much choice really, the team was full of players on superleague deals so the cap was unmanageable.
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

Phil Graham for mine, scored some tries that were up there with Mullins.

I think he's the first player I ever saw kick into the goal, get dragged out over the touchline, come back in and score.

Scintillating stuff.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

I'm going with the idea that to be under-rated in the wider League community, you had to have missed out on Origin or senior national rep honours. Tongue did get selected for a PM's 13 game in PNG, but opted to go on a vacation that he promised his family instead. Besides, I don't think you can call that a senior rep honour. So, I think he still counts.

Apart from him, Terry Martin and Matthew Wood. Martin was a damaging tackler and solid in attack, albeit not at all flashy. Played 92 games and managed nine tries. The Gary Coyne of his time.

Wood made the bulk of his 72 appearances in that golden period between '89-'94, keeping a collection of pretty good alternatives in Reserves or the on the bench. He's also notable for playing and scoring in every GF he played in. Unlike the Flying Brick Vainikolo, he could turn and chase the kick through or come across in cover. Also kicked goals at almost 60% success rate.

Apart from those guys:
Michael Robertson who proved what he had to offer once he joined Manly and had some injury-free seasons;
Dean Lance, Todd Payton and Scott Logan all of whom always really put in;
Marshall Chalk due to his utility value; and I'm stunned no one has mentioned him:
Sean Fensom.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Wood was bog average. Like Fulivae. The dude was a Sheens favourite, and I'm baffled he played as many games as he did.

Did Wood play for the raiders after Sheens left?

Terry Martin was ok.

Fensom was Mr Reliable. A tough, Elijah Wood sort of guy. I don't think he was under rated.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

dubby wrote: January 11, 2019, 5:04 pm Wood was bog average. Like Fulivae. The dude was a Sheens favourite, and I'm baffled he played as many games as he did.

Terry Martin was ok.

Fensom was Mr Reliable. A tough, Elijah Wood sort of guy. I don't think he was under rated.
Fensom wouldn't have needed help to get that ring to Mordor.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Yeah he woulda.

Unless he had the insight to just fly in on one of those huge eagles and just drop it in

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

zim wrote: January 11, 2019, 5:11 pm
dubby wrote: January 11, 2019, 5:04 pm Wood was bog average. Like Fulivae. The dude was a Sheens favourite, and I'm baffled he played as many games as he did.

Terry Martin was ok.

Fensom wouldn't have needed help to get that ring to Mordor.
:lol:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

RedRaider wrote: January 9, 2019, 8:16 pm Germ was very average imo Ed. Also had a big mouth with not a lot to talk about. I remember him passing behind forwards and then getting up them for not catching the ball. A legend in his own mind who as a captain put the Raiders offside with every Ref in the NRl because of the way he spoke. Sour face and attitude. The first Raiders player who I thought must have been there due to reasons other than form. I still don't know how he racked up more than 200 games for the Raiders.
I can remember a game v Manly at Brookvale.

Woolford was sent off very early and with 12 men we put a nice score on them and got the chocolates..

It's probably still one of the clubs better victories..not sure what year that was !!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

-PJ- wrote: January 12, 2019, 9:04 am
RedRaider wrote: January 9, 2019, 8:16 pm Germ was very average imo Ed. Also had a big mouth with not a lot to talk about. I remember him passing behind forwards and then getting up them for not catching the ball. A legend in his own mind who as a captain put the Raiders offside with every Ref in the NRl because of the way he spoke. Sour face and attitude. The first Raiders player who I thought must have been there due to reasons other than form. I still don't know how he racked up more than 200 games for the Raiders.

Woolford was sent off very early and with 12 men we put a nice score on them and got the chocolates..

It's probably still one of the clubs better victories..not sure what year that was !!!
Woolford off after 8 mins and we put 51 on Manly

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/highs- ... dh8lw.html
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: January 12, 2019, 9:13 am
-PJ- wrote: January 12, 2019, 9:04 am

Woolford off after 8 mins and we put 51 on Manly

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/highs- ... dh8lw.html
Yeah..smashed them on their turf.

Bozo has never got over it.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Wish we had that all round squad today
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

-TW- wrote: January 12, 2019, 9:31 am Wish we had that all round squad today
It was a no fuss squad, showed plenty of ticker.

2003 was going gangbusters until **** dropped a ball that I WOULD HAVE CAUGHT.

It was season over in two consecutive weeks during the finals..
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

-PJ- wrote: January 12, 2019, 10:03 am

Yep, what a **** up that was. He finished his career playing for Ipswich Jets.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

yurithe1 wrote: January 12, 2019, 10:05 am
-PJ- wrote: January 12, 2019, 10:03 am

Yep, what a **** up that was. He finished his career playing for Ipswich Jets.
27 games he played for us..no one remembers the other 26.