The most underrated player in Canberra Raiders history

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Re: The most underrated player in Canberra Raiders history

Post by Elcaptcroker »

I remember one game against the roosters, clinton toyed with them all day, one play i remember strongly was i think it came off a break down the side line, he was about 20m's from the rooster try line completely surounded by pretty much the whole rooster team, and he was standing there on the spot dummying to most of them then carney came out of no where and clinton lobbed it over their head into carneys hands for him to go on and score, not one roosters player tried to touch him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

greeneyed wrote: January 7, 2019, 7:40 pm I'm just watching matches from earlier in the day from the Raiders Team Day on Fox League. Just watched the 1990 Preliminary Final against the Broncos, and now the 1989 finals game against the Panthers.

And I'm thinking Chris O'Sullivan is the most under rated Canberra Raiders player in history. He won premierships, he started in a team of nobodies in 1982 and went to the top of the tree. But he is overlooked in his great contributions in teams full of stars.

So for mine, Chris O'Sullivan is the most underrated player in Raiders history. What's your view?
Chris O'Sullivan for sure. Dean Lance would be next on my list.

Both player's 1989 GF performances should be must see TV for any aspiring young footballer who isn't blessed with speed, size or athleticism.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

edwahu wrote: January 8, 2019, 11:29 am
greeneyed wrote: January 8, 2019, 11:15 am
T_R wrote: January 7, 2019, 8:12 pmGary Coyne?
You know, someone on Twitter said "Gary Belcher". And my reaction was "what?" But I guess that's in similar vein.

Clearly, represented Queensland and Australia. But I do think that he's underrated by many Raiders fans who are only old enough to remember Brett Mullins.

And Coyne often forgotten.
I kind of agree on Belcher. Lots of recent fans genuinely think Lockyer was the first fullback to chime into a backline. He should be in hall of fame discussions but doesn't get a mention.
Belcher was arguably one of the top 3 players in the game across 1990-91. Criminally under-rated against some of our own star players, let alone the rest of the Comp. Easily our best ever fullback, and we've had a few good ones.
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

Elcaptcroker wrote:I remember one game against the roosters, clinton toyed with them all day, one play i remember strongly was i think it came off a break down the side line, he was about 20m's from the rooster try line completely surounded by pretty much the whole rooster team, and he was standing there on the spot dummying to most of them then carney came out of no where and clinton lobbed it over their head into carneys hands for him to go on and score, not one roosters player tried to touch him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My favourite was against the warriors or the eels can't remember correctly but had like 4 players converge on him looked wrapped up then he just kinda popped up on the other side of them and raced away to score

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

O'Sullivan as one of my all time favourites for sure.
John Lomax did some good front row work for us.
Toots Croker is remembered by Raider fans but not so much by the bulk of League fans.
Dean Lance was a defensive leader with a 'never beaten' attitude.
Colin Best had a couple of good years with us.
So did Logan.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Agreed with all that, Red. I was waiting for your thoughts on this!

It's sad that many are too young to remember Belcher. He was easily the best fullback I've ever seen. Injury ruined him.

Peter Jackson was another. Limited time here in Canberra, but he was very good for us.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

Nigel Plum
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Josh McCrone and David Milne

Oh and completely agree with everything pigman said on Schifcofske.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Back O'Sullivan, Forward John Lomax.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I loved Jacko. One of my favourite players. Perhaps that should be the next thread!
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

The Nickman wrote: January 8, 2019, 9:08 am
Ruben Daley wrote:
luffraider wrote: January 7, 2019, 9:39 pm Has anyone said Scott Logan?
Love him! Surely no Raiders fan would underrate him.
Sorry, but I just never really got around Scott Logan as a fan. I really can’t understand why this forum rate him so highly... did he used to post here or something?
I just loved how he aimed up every single carry. He took the type of runs that made metres but also made defenders have to tackle hard and in numbers.

He was also one of those classic throwback props who brought real aggression and intimidation to the side. He should have played Origin, my opinion.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Michael Robertson
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Logan was picked for origin, at one point. I think injury prevented it

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

Loved Scotty Logan took the tough hit ups and rarely got dominated, seemed to always land on his front and get a quick play the ball.

Our NZ front row of Pongia and Lomax never really got the plaudits and were great players, so aggressive, something we really miss today.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

The most underrated player in Canberra Raiders history

Post by Brewdle »

Tedesco

Wrong thread sorry

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

There was a period of about a season when Bronson Harrison was very nearly the best forward in the NRL.
I knew Chris O'Sullivan and his father and brother very well back in the day. Great player who wrung the most out of what he was blest with.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: January 8, 2019, 7:57 am I agree with many here. Moggy , Choc and Logan were great for us.

I'm going to throw one out there. Jason Croker. He made 5 NSW appearances and 5 for Australia in 2000 World Cup .
Toots should have played many more rep games. I don't know how he missed the 94 Kangaroo tour. He wasn't underrated by Raider fans and probably not underrated by the time his career finished.

Sent from my SM-N960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Beat me to it, I know Toots was held in high esteem but he was overshadowed by Daley in the halves, Wiki in the centres and Clyde in the forwards but wherever he played he did a great job, at one time when replacing Daley for a few games I think it was, I remember thinking he looked better and the team functioned smoother, big call I know but its how I saw it at the time, great player!

Also Lomax was a beast, and dare I say...Paul Osborne, even for that one game.
Pilz
David Grant
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Pilz »

Jarrod Croker
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Cranky Old Man wrote:There was a period of about a season when Bronson Harrison was very nearly the best forward in the NRL.
I knew Chris O'Sullivan and his father and brother very well back in the day. Great player who wrung the most out of what he was blest with.
There was also a lengthy period where Bronson Harrison was considered a good player and phoned in dross. I think they cancel out Image
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: January 9, 2019, 6:24 am
Cranky Old Man wrote:There was a period of about a season when Bronson Harrison was very nearly the best forward in the NRL.
There was also a lengthy period where Bronson Harrison was considered a good player and phoned in dross. I think they cancel out Image
Harrison's career at the Raiders was weird. He spent the first 2-3 years being underpaid and in that time he was one of the best forwards in the game and no one ever spoke about him... then he signed a new deal, immediately turned to **** and then seemed to get a ton of media guys talking about how good he was.

Strange haha
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I've never seen a bigger turn around in a player like I did with Harrison. It all seemed to start when he was captain for a few games

Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I missed a lot of Chris O'Sullivan as I was only young but it has always been widely accepted he was underrated.

I enjoyed the commentary on Schif in this thread, brought back some good memories and I agree he was underrated and should have got more accolades.

I was trying to rack my brain to come up with a player to add something to this thread and I thought of a player who wasn't the most underrated Raider of all time or anything but should have been rated much higher by Raiders fans and the coaching staff and that was Michael Monaghan. He was unbelievable in the Premier League and played really well in his limited chances in 1st grade. He singlehandedly destroyed teams in that PL comp, I'm sure some of you would remember and it was worth getting to the ground early to watch him steer that team around. I still reckon that was a real sliding doors moment from the Raiders not moving heaven and earth to keep him, we would have been a hugely different football team in those early 2000's with him in the 7 rather than the players we opted for such as Brad Drew.

Just on the Bickerstaff commentary Pigman, agree with your comments. Another quality backrower who missed out here due to his body was Anthony Colella. He was a very decent player and had some great games here, he just couldn't stay on the park.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Why did we not sign M Monas? Was that another Elliott brain wave? Elliott had a tendency to not blood juniors

Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

My recollection was that Elliott held him back far too long and stuffed him around, and then when his chance finally came I think Luke O'Donnell from the Tigers at the time busted Mick's jaw and put him out for ages and he never really got back into the good books with the coach so moved on. I could be a bit off with that but I think that's about right from memory.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Woodgers wrote: January 9, 2019, 10:05 am My recollection was that Elliott held him back far too long and stuffed him around, and then when his chance finally came I think Luke O'Donnell from the Tigers at the time busted Mick's jaw and put him out for ages and he never really got back into the good books with the coach so moved on. I could be a bit off with that but I think that's about right from memory.
Yeah, that was 2003. That was one of the worst acts on a football field I remember seeing.He made it back for the semis but had already signed with Manly on a good long term deal earlier in the year.

I think Carney was the main reason they didn't match the Manly offer.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Terrible decision to let Mick Monaghan go.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I thought about this topic during this morning and realised nobody had mentioned Jay Hoffman.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Good thought COM.
PabloKang2620
Alan Tongue

Post by PabloKang2620 »

Brad Clyde. Almost forgotten in the wider community when discussing all time great forwards

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Just because I rock doesn't mean I'm made of stone
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Some truth there too!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If you compared every forward fully fit Clyde would be the best since the national comp started, maybe ever.

*edit* I tracked down Clydes old 89 grand final stats Prodman posted years ago:

His 89 grand final stats: Bradley Clyde - 34/37 Tackles, 3 Offloads, 32 Runs for 239 Metres Gained. The crazy part is that was under 5 meters .

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17687&p=508870&hilit=clyde#p508870

He also averaged 120metres a game in Origin under 5 meters, when they switched to 10 he averaged 200.
Last edited by edwahu on January 9, 2019, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

One player not rated high enough by then coaching and management was Luke Priddis. Subsequently went on to win Premierships with 2 other clubs while we stuck with Germ. What a blunder, own goal, shot self in foot, bungled drop kick decision that was.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Not good.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Germ was decent. He gets a bad wrap around here and at the time I don't think it was a crazy call, even if Priddis turned out better.
BVRaider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Edrick Lee

Post by BVRaider »

It has to be Schifcofske, that 2003 season in particular is still one of the best I've seen by a fullback and I agree he is the best in the clubs history based on pure ability not premierships. Another underrated player from that 2003 squad is Jamahl Lolesi who I haven't seen mentioned yet, he was extremely talented.