All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

tristanknell13
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Podcast with Matt Elliott

Post by tristanknell13 »

Hey guys,

Did a podcast recently with Matty Elliott. A real footy brain as you guys know he gave some great persepective on being an NRL first grade coach. Also shared some nice stories from his Raiders days.

https://www.talkingwithtk.com/single-po ... ew-Elliott

Talking with TK - Ep 111: Matthew Elliott https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode/?id=309538

Also had Bradley Clyde on previously and just talking to a couple of former legends also.

Talking with TK - Ep 22: Bradley Clyde https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode/?id=114273

Enjoy if you check it out

Tristan
https://www.talkingwithtk.com/
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Podcast with Matt Elliott

Post by RTW »

Cheers,
I just subscribed and will listen tomorrow morning. You have an impressive list of names, Ric Charlesworth will be the next episode I listen to after Elliot.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Eye opener!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I see Matty a bit at work these days with his Zenergy business.
Smart guy, always has time to talk to you

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

Thanks for sharing :)

Have listened to the Marty Elliott podcast, it was really insightful.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He's made for the media. He's really good in that space.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Yeah he oozes charisma.
Terrible coach though

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I reckon he had his good points. I'd rank him the best of our post Sheens coaches at this stage.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

What I found interesting is when he was talking about spreading himself to thin with focussing on development and how the NRL team suffered as a result.

A lot of people talk up how good Stuart has been for fan/community engagement, membership, culture/past players etc. Perhaps Stuart is in the same situation. I have said many times Stuart would be much better at this role and not as coach.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

edwahu wrote: January 6, 2019, 8:04 pm I reckon he had his good points. I'd rank him the best of our post Sheens coaches at this stage.
I wanted to immediately laugh at you, but man... i dunno, you can make a case.
You can make a case for pretty much all of them... which tells you none of them have strong cases at all :lol:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Pigman wrote: January 6, 2019, 8:14 pm
edwahu wrote: January 6, 2019, 8:04 pm I reckon he had his good points. I'd rank him the best of our post Sheens coaches at this stage.
I wanted to immediately laugh at you, but man... i dunno, you can make a case.
You can make a case for pretty much all of them... which tells you none of them have strong cases at all :lol:
Yeah, it's grim but I reckon if I look at our perpetual issues as a club he was the only one that addressed them at all. He created plenty of others but results wise he did better than the rest.

You could probably also make a case for Mal on results but he didn't last a year once his squad went downhill, which sums up his ability at the time.

Henry probably could've aced it but ran off as soon as he had the chance. Too small a sample size to judge with Campo carrying the side to his best result.

Furner was the best at building a talented squad but the worst man manager and really did a lot of damage. I'd have to rank him last.

Stuart was great early but is Stuarting it up now.
Last edited by edwahu on January 6, 2019, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think if you combined the leadership and reverence of Meninga, the charisma of Elliott, the development of youth of Furner, the free agent/media pull of Stuart and the tactics of Henry.. that'd a pretty **** great coach haha.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hold on... Matt Elliott left saying he "didn't have the cattle" at Canberra. It was HIS JOB to recruit the cattle. All we ever heard from the bloke was... no one wants to come to Canberra. That's YOUR JOB, Matty! That's the club's job... to make the club an irresistible place to play your football... and win a premiership. That goes for all of them since 1994... and no difference today.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

greeneyed wrote: January 6, 2019, 8:31 pm Hold on... Matt Elliott left saying he "didn't have the cattle" at Canberra. It was HIS JOB to recruit the cattle. All we ever heard from the bloke was... no one wants to come to Canberra. That's YOUR JOB, Matty! That's the club's job... to make the club an irresistible place to play your football... and win a premiership. That goes for all of them since 1994... and no difference today.
Sure, but like you said it goes for all of them. He at least made some progress as far as managing to get the players to apply themselves for 80 minutes and defend like first graders.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: January 6, 2019, 8:38 pm
greeneyed wrote: January 6, 2019, 8:31 pm Hold on... Matt Elliott left saying he "didn't have the cattle" at Canberra. It was HIS JOB to recruit the cattle. All we ever heard from the bloke was... no one wants to come to Canberra. That's YOUR JOB, Matty! That's the club's job... to make the club an irresistible place to play your football... and win a premiership. That goes for all of them since 1994... and no difference today.
Sure, but like you said it goes for all of them. He at least made some progress as far as managing to get the players to apply themselves for 80 minutes and defend like first graders.
The team looked good for brief periods. But that's all. Since Meninga, all the coaches have looked good for brief periods. 2003, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2016. None good enough to take the prize. Almost always overachieving. I so long for some actual success! On Grand Final day!
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: January 6, 2019, 8:31 pm I think if you combined the leadership and reverence of Meninga, the charisma of Elliott, the development of youth of Furner, the free agent/media pull of Stuart and the tactics of Henry.. that'd a pretty **** great coach haha.
:thumbsup
We better bottle that, coz we are gonna need it after the 1st guy bolts to a Chooks, Bronx or Storm that actually win stuff.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: January 6, 2019, 8:41 pm
The team looked good for brief periods. But that's all. Since Meninga, all the coaches have looked good for brief periods. 2003, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2016. None good enough to take the prize. Almost always overachieving. I so long for some actual success! On Grand Final day!
TBF, he did much more with far less. His squads were pretty bad, and still played finals in alternate yrs.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: January 6, 2019, 8:02 pm Yeah he oozes charisma.
Terrible coach though

Bahahahahahahahaha the ironing!!
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Pigman wrote: January 6, 2019, 8:31 pm I think if you combined the leadership and reverence of Meninga, the charisma of Elliott, the development of youth of Furner, the free agent/media pull of Stuart and the tactics of Henry.. that'd a pretty **** great coach haha.
Great quote.

I have a soft spot for Furner because I loved the way he brought the youngsters through, but, as you say, his man management was crap.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Matt Elliott was easily the best coach we've had for getting the best out of players week in, week out since Tim Sheens. No idea how Ricky "one in five seasons" Stuart gets a continual free pass from the likes of dubby while a bloke with a 50/50 finals record with a much inferior team gets flat-out labelled a "terrible coach".

The hypocrisy is absolutely off the charts.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

The Nickman wrote: January 7, 2019, 12:17 pm Matt Elliott was easily the best coach we've had for getting the best out of players week in, week out since Tim Sheens. No idea how Ricky "one in five seasons" Stuart gets a continual free pass from the likes of dubby while a bloke with a 50/50 finals record with a much inferior team gets flat-out labelled a "terrible coach".

50/50?

Elliott didn't take over until 2002:
2002 - Finals, 8th
2003 - Finals, 4th
2004 - Finals, 8th
2005 - 15th
2006 - Finals, 7th

Easily the best making the finals record of any coach since Sheens. We never looked likely of making a GF in that time though, we were 0-5 in finals matches under Elliott.

I really can't say any coach has been the best in this period. All have been out of their depth.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

4 out of 5 finals appearances?? No wonder dubby thinks he can't coach, 20% is where it's at!!
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: January 7, 2019, 12:39 pm
The Nickman wrote: January 7, 2019, 12:17 pm Matt Elliott was easily the best coach we've had for getting the best out of players week in, week out since Tim Sheens. No idea how Ricky "one in five seasons" Stuart gets a continual free pass from the likes of dubby while a bloke with a 50/50 finals record with a much inferior team gets flat-out labelled a "terrible coach".

50/50?

Elliott didn't take over until 2002:
2002 - Finals, 8th
2003 - Finals, 4th
2004 - Finals, 8th
2005 - 15th
2006 - Finals, 7th

Easily the best making the finals record of any coach since Sheens. We never looked likely of making a GF in that time though, we were 0-5 in finals matches under Elliott.

I really can't say any coach has been the best in this period. All have been out of their depth.
Thats even better than I remember. Here is what he had to work with over the respective years. There are some good players, some old players, some young players, and plenty that shouldnt have seen 1st grade.

2002:
ASBOCK, Mark
BRYANT, Mark
BUSER, James
CROKER, Jason
DAVICO, Luke
EVANS, James
FINCH, Brett
GRAHAM, Phil
HODGSON, Michael
JENSEN, Rod
LOLESI, Jamahl
McLINDEN, Mark
MANUEL, Odell (@Nickman)
MAPP, Darren
MARTIN, Terry
MONAGHAN, Joel
MONAGHAN, Michael
NAGAS, Ken
O'HARA, Ryan
PAYTEN, Todd
PORTER, Darren
ROBERTSON, Michael
RUTGERSON, Sean
SCHIFCOFSKE, Clinton
SMITH, Tyran
THOMPSON, Troy
TONGUE, Alan
WIKI, Ruben
WOLFGRAMM, Greg
WOOLFORD, Simon

2003:
BULGARELLI, Jason
CROKER, Jason
CROSS, Ben
DAVICO, Luke
DREW, Brad
EVANS, James
GRAHAM, Phil
HINDMARSH, Ian
HODGSON, Michael
JENSEN, Rod
LOLESI, Jamahl
McLINDEN, Mark
MARTIN, Terry
MOGG, Adam
MONAGHAN, Joel
MONAGHAN, Michael
O'HARA, Ryan
ROBERTSON, Michael
RUTGERSON, Sean
SCHIFCOFSKE, Clinton
SMITH, Tyran
THOMPSON, Troy
TONGUE, Alan
WEYMAN, Michael
WIKI, Ruben
WOOLFORD, Simon

2004:
BRYANT, Mark
BULGARELLI, Jason
CAMPESE, Terry
CARNEY, Todd
CHALK, Marshall
CROKER, Jason
CROSS, Ben
DAVICO, Luke
DREW, Brad
EVANS, James
GAFA, Matt
GRAHAM, Phil
HINDMARSH, Ian
HODGSON, Michael
KAHLER, Kris
LAWRENCE, Jarrad
McLINDEN, Mark
MARTIN, Terry
MILLER, Josh
MOGG, Adam
MONAGHAN, Joel
O'HARA, Ryan
PORTER, Darren
ROBERTSON, Michael
ROTHERY, Alan
SCHIFCOFSKE, Clinton
SMITH, Nathan
SMITH, Tyran
THOMPSON, Troy
TONGUE, Alan
WEYMAN, Michael
WIKI, Ruben
WOOLFORD, Simon

2005:
ADAMSON, Matt
ALE, Jermaine
CAMPESE, Terry
CARNEY, Todd
CHALK, Marshall
CROKER, Jason
CROSS, Ben
FRAWLEY, Craig
GAFA, Matt
GRAHAM, Phil
HINDMARSH, Ian
HODGSON, Michael
HOWELL, David
KAHLER, Kris
LOMU, Andrew
MILLER, Josh
MILNE, David
MOGG, Adam
O'HARA, Ryan
ROBERTSON, Michael
ROTHERY, Alan
SCHIFCOFSKE, Clinton
SMITH, Jason
SMITH, Tyran
THOMPSON, Troy
TONGUE, Alan
WEYMAN, Michael
WILLIAMS, Jason
WITHERS, Lincoln
WOOLFORD, Simon

2006:
CARNEY, Todd
CHALK, Marshall
CROKER, Jason
FRAWLEY, Craig
GRAHAM, Phil
HODGSON, Michael
HOWELL, David
JONES, Ben
KAHLER, Kris
LEAROYD-LAHRS, Tom
LOMU, Andrew
MARTIN, Terry
MILLER, Josh
MILNE, David
MOGG, Adam
PURTELL, Adrian
RASTON, Willie
ROTHERY, Alan
SCHIFCOFSKE, Clinton
SMITH, Jason
THOMPSON, Troy
THURLING, Trevor
TILSE, Dane
TONGUE, Alan
WEYMAN, Michael
WILLIAMS, Jason
WITHERS, Lincoln
WOOLFORD, Simon
ZILLMAN, William
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If the squads weren't any good... that's his accountability! He was the head coach.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: January 7, 2019, 1:53 pm If the squads weren't any good... that's his accountability! He was the head coach.
Its a circular argument GE, as you know.
Players dont want to be in Canberra.
The way to get them here is to pay overs.
Pay overs, and you have to cheap out elsewhere.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

He let Michael Monaghan go while retaining Drew, McLinden, Jason Croker and a very green Campese as the halves rotation. So his eye for talent was not great.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt wrote: January 7, 2019, 1:57 pm
greeneyed wrote: January 7, 2019, 1:53 pm If the squads weren't any good... that's his accountability! He was the head coach.
They’re just excuses.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: January 7, 2019, 2:46 pm
Matt wrote: January 7, 2019, 1:57 pm
They’re just excuses.
Its not an excuse when its an obvious reality.

The club has started this publicly. In fact, most of the coaches mentioned above have all said it.

We have also seen the 3rd party disparity.

Which means you/ we simply cant contended without some serious luck. Which in 2016 very nearly happened.

The Leicester City EPL win is a 1 in a million. We have another 999, 975 yrs to go.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

It's a reality but we have to find a way to overcome it. Other clubs have, so to me that makes it an excuse.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Matt wrote:
greeneyed wrote: January 6, 2019, 8:41 pm
TBF, he did much more with far less. His squads were pretty bad, and still played finals in alternate yrs.
Matt, that's complete rubbish mate.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

People are pretty harsh on those old squads. It's worth reading the old posts to understand how some of those players were rated at the time. Schif and Wiki in particular were better than any of our current side, but players like Monas Davico, TLL were outstanding and others like Hodgson, Thurling, Miller and even Thomson were very good players.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote:Matt Elliott was easily the best coach we've had for getting the best out of players week in, week out since Tim Sheens. No idea how Ricky "one in five seasons" Stuart gets a continual free pass from the likes of dubby while a bloke with a 50/50 finals record with a much inferior team gets flat-out labelled a "terrible coach".

I think it's crazy if you think teams that had Ruben Wiki, Jason Croker, Clinton Shifcoske, Joel Monaghan, Ken Nagas, Luke Davico and Simon Woolford were "inferior".

All bar Germ would walk into the current team. Germ probably on the bench.

Matt Elliott had a 45% winning rate at Canberra. Ricky 46%.

You've lost all insight, all discretion and swallowed Elliotts usual diatribe of how bad his team was. He was the muppet who went and signed superstars like Craig Frawley, Tyran Smith and Brad Drew.

In usual GH fashion we start repainting the past, forgetting just how bad he was, and how far behind he set this club.

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

His side wasn't as bad as made out but I think he at worst got results in line with the talent he had.

His recruitment was fine as well, quite similar to Stuart in terms of finding value. Players like Schiff, TLL, Smith, Hodgson, Mogg and Thurling were great scouting.

I don't really see how he set the club back, other than being the first to really face the post Daley reality.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:
The Nickman wrote:Matt Elliott was easily the best coach we've had for getting the best out of players week in, week out since Tim Sheens. No idea how Ricky "one in five seasons" Stuart gets a continual free pass from the likes of dubby while a bloke with a 50/50 finals record with a much inferior team gets flat-out labelled a "terrible coach".

I think it's crazy if you think teams that had Ruben Wiki, Jason Croker, Clinton Shifcoske, Joel Monaghan, Ken Nagas, Luke Davico and Simon Woolford were "inferior".

All bar Germ would walk into the current team. Germ probably on the bench.

Matt Elliott had a 45% winning rate at Canberra. Ricky 46%.

You've lost all insight, all discretion and swallowed Elliotts usual diatribe of how bad his team was. He was the muppet who went and signed superstars like Craig Frawley, Tyran Smith and Brad Drew.

In usual GH fashion we start repainting the past, forgetting just how bad he was, and how far behind he set this club.

I haven’t even listened to the podcast, how am I swallowing his “usual diatribe”? And tell me again how one in five finals appearances is even REMOTELY acceptable in a competition where half the teams make the finals every year, dubs?

One of us is reviewing the current situation without personal opinions or preconceived biases clouding their entire opinion, and hot tip, dubs: IT’S NOT YOU

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

edwahu wrote: January 7, 2019, 5:28 pm People are pretty harsh on those old squads. It's worth reading the old posts to understand how some of those players were rated at the time. Schif and Wiki in particular were better than any of our current side, but players like Monas Davico, TLL were outstanding and others like Hodgson, Thurling, Miller and even Thomson were very good players.
Schif was one of the most underrated players ive seen play
He covered up SOOO many cracks in those teams. Defensively i've never been more confident in a fullback defending 2-on's and even 3-on-1's. It was ridiculous how good Schif was at positioning himself and goading ball carriers into making the pass he wanted them to and saving a try.
In attack, he was a bit before his time. Not quite as advanced as the guys these days, but his ball playing in those days was really quite good. Excellent support player. He really had it all as a fullback.