Through green eyes 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Through green eyes 2019

Post by greeneyed »

The freeze frames have convinced me it is no try. Even watching the slow motion, I couldn't discern it, not to the level of "sufficient evidence" to overturn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:The freeze frames have convinced me it is no try. Even watching the slow motion, I couldn't discern it, not to the level of "sufficient evidence" to overturn.
Which is my exact point

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Rickman wrote:
greeneyed wrote:The freeze frames have convinced me it is no try. Even watching the slow motion, I couldn't discern it, not to the level of "sufficient evidence" to overturn.
Which is my exact point

If GE is suggesting a Raiders player didn't score a try it's pretty much case closed.... really...

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gergreg wrote:
The Rickman wrote:
Which is my exact point

If GE is suggesting a Raiders player didn't score a try it's pretty much case closed.... really...

Yep, case closed Image

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Knock on.
rovert
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by rovert »

This is the split second before Sam allegedly didn't ground the ball.
Can anyone provide evidence that
a. He didn't get a hand (YES even a finger) on it.
b. He completely missed it and knocked on with his chest or
c. He knocked on with his initial attempt.

I certainly can't and think it's highly unlikely he missed the ball completely from that fame. It was sent upstairs as a try and should of been awarded as such unless the bunker has other angles we don't get to see and found such evidence.

Personally I think it's a 50/50 call and believe the attacking side should have the benefit of doubt.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
The last thing I remember is me saying "hold my beer and watch this".
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Haha. You can't see anything in that frame so what's the point of it?

rovert
Terry Campese

Post by rovert »

So.... you can't show conclusive evidence he didn't ground it? Otherwise what's your point.
If this was awarded against us under the circumstances I'd have no argument.
As the commentators were saying "No evidence to over rule, it has to be a try".
It's the rules of the game, I don't believe they had sufficient evidence.

Last edited by rovert on April 1, 2019, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The last thing I remember is me saying "hold my beer and watch this".
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I don’t believe they had inconclusive evidence. My evidence is as above and it voids all three of your points.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Through green eyes 2019

Post by greeneyed »

The test is “sufficient” evidence to overturn. If they have a still of the left hand touching before the ball was on the ground, and control of the ball isn’t gained, and it’s before the right hand contacts with the ball on the ground, then it’s no try. Maybe they had it... but it was never shown on the broadcast. On the slow motion shown it was very difficult to discern what was happening. At the ground, the final thing they showed was a still of the ball being grounded (apparently properly). But gangers has presented a clear still above, that counters that, which is why I think we have to say no try on the evidence.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Through green eyes 2019

Post by gangrenous »

But GE, those stills are from the footage. That’s what I see watching the slo-mo. If I’m in the box I’ve got no qualms pressing No Try

I do appreciate that you’ve changed your mind on the actual decision though. My wife says no one’s mind ever changes on the Internet
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You must have better eyesight than me. I look at the slo mo and find it very hard to discern. I know the bunker has vision (including still frame by frame) which they're looking at, at the same time, as the vision being broadcast.

Anyway, I always look at the evidence and if presented new evidence, then I make my mind up on that.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

I can live with the no try but they allowed Morris his which was almost identical.

Sent from my SM-N960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Correct overrule on the Sam Williams no try, but last years no try overrule on Junior Paulo when you could actually see bits of grass falling off the bottom of the ball was outrageous and match losing.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The Rickman wrote: April 1, 2019, 11:05 am
Which is my exact point.
Yep. Should have stayed with the on field decision.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Through green eyes: "Statistics are like matches"

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg had a busy day on Twitter yesterday. To start the day, he spent a half an hour taking questions from the fans. I think it is great that the CEO takes the time to do this.

He's done "town hall" meetings with the fans outside the grounds for quite some time. He did it prior to the last Test match between Australia and New Zealand at Canberra Stadium. He did it at a season launch a while back outside the Sydney Football Stadium, to which the members from each club were invited. He handles these things incredibly well.

And even if we don't always like the answers, he should be congratulated for being willing to engage directly with the supporters of the game.

The fans sometimes forget the good things that the NRL is doing. I'll put my hand up and admit that failing in myself. Rugby league is certainly still "the greatest game of all". It was the most watched football code on television in 2018. What we see on the field every week is terrific, often breathtaking. Bringing touch football into the fold, and lifting the opportunities for women to participate should be lauded.

There are things to improve. For example, a lot of passionate rugby league people feel that AFL is stealing the march at the grass roots, with the NRL losing the battle for junior development. Big inroads are being made in our own backyard. Not enough of the rich broadcast deal is trickling down for the juniors, and the clubs are not given sufficient incentive/reward for junior development.

Some things are in the process of being addressed - like ensuring the code has the best national footprint, so as to maximise the growth of the code.

Yesterday's Twitter discussion covered a couple of my bug bears. Third party agreements (TPAs) and teams deliberately flouting the rules on field. I've written about both of them in the past few weeks.

One question put to Todd Greenberg was: "I believe the salary cap in its current form is not working, particularly the third party agreements. I also believe a draft needs to be introduced to increase parity among the player rosters. Are changes being investigated to increase the competitiveness of the NRL?"

His response was: "Third party agreements are a constant topic for fans... but the reality is... arms length agreements represent less than 3 per cent of the total salary cap allocation."

The NRL is fond of finding a "headline" statistic to prove a point. They often tell us that the salary cap is working as there have been 12 different premiers during the era of the NRL, since 1998. What they neglect to mention is that at least one of just three teams - the Storm, Roosters and Broncos - have contested 17 of the 21 Grand Finals held in that time.

So third party agreements are less than three per cent of the total salary cap allocation. That's $264,000 per club. Doesn't sound like much does it? Until we remember that two clubs had TPAs that totalled around $1 million (Storm) and $800,000 (Broncos) in 2018, while some clubs had virtually none. The difference between $1 million and zero is the difference between one club having a marquee play maker, and the other not. Doesn't sound so good now, does it?

As I've argued before, we won't have a level playing field, we won't have a fair competition, until the TPA loophole is closed... until TPAs are capped and merged into the main salary cap.

Greenberg also told us that because statistics "tell us that the play the balls are slightly quicker so far in 2019", suggestions that there is more wrestling in the game this year are wrong. He admitted it was "early days", but there are "positive signs". Earlier this week, referees' boss Graham Annesley told us that this year, the average play the ball speed is 3.45 seconds, compared with 3.66 seconds last year.

Again, however, this is a case of a "headline statistic" being trumpeted - which might not show what's going on. The Raiders' play the ball speeds in the first three rounds were: 3.8 seconds (Titans), 3.75 seconds (Storm) and 3.57 seconds (Knights). One of those games was played in a monsoon, and one in heavy rain at times. Maybe the Raiders just aren't as good as other teams in producing quick play the balls.

However, Michael Ennis said last week that he believes some teams are taking advantage of the new approach to refereeing this year, with the referees aiming to let the game flow, by keeping the whistle in their pockets.

My "eye" test - and maybe it is a "green eyed" test - is consistent with what Ennis is saying. It was obvious that the Storm was deliberately standing off side and testing the limits with the wrestle in Round 2. The Newcastle Knights took that to another level in Round 3. I understand why teams do it, when playing the Raiders. Their explosive backs are even more dangerous when the Raiders get momentum from quick play the balls.

There was a great story told this week on Fox League about former Easts Tigers, Sharks, Panthers and Rabbitohs coach, John Lang. He was a former Queensland, New South Wales and Australian hooker. In fact, he played for all three teams in one year. He's been around the traps.

He would say - and he might still do today - that: "Statistics are like matches, they can be dangerous in the wrong hands".

Remember that next time you hear one of the "headline" statistics being bandied about by the NRL. You might need to dig a bit deeper, to go beyond the "spin", to see what is really going on.

Todd Greenberg also took the time yesterday on Twitter to highlight the plans for a new soccer stadium in Spain for mega club, Real Madrid.

He tweeted this: "When you hear us say that we want to play in ‘world class rectangular stadiums for our fans and players’ then this might be a pretty good benchmark!"

The 81,000 capacity Bernabeu Stadium is going to be rebuilt - as a covered stadium with a retractable roof - while Real Madrid keeps playing at the venue they have called home since 1947. They want to make it the best in the world, and it certainly looks like it will be in that stratosphere.

We also saw vision this week of the completed Western Sydney Stadium on NRL.com. It is a 30,000 seat venue, built from scratch on the site of the old Parramatta Stadium. It is an incredibly impressive boutique stadium. We now know that the demolition of the Sydney Football Stadium will proceed, and be replaced by a brand new 45,000 seat facility.

Western Sydney Stadium

Sydney Football Stadium

The NRL has done a great job in Sydney working with the NSW Government in bringing these projects to fruition - along with a massive refurbishment of Stadium Australia.

What it highlights for Canberra, however, is that its stadium infrastructure will pale in comparison. The Raiders will be playing in a stadium that is well out of date, with poorer facilities for spectators than available for most other NRL clubs. Canberra Stadium was originally built in 1977 and refurbished for the 2000 Olympics. Fundamentally, it is a much older stadium than the ones demolished in Sydney.

The Broncos, Titans and Storm play out of modern stadiums purpose built for rugby league. The Eels and Roosters will soon have state of the art stadiums. The Bulldogs and Tigers are planning to play some games out of Western Sydney Stadium, and it wouldn't surprise if they played a lot more of their home games there. The Rabbitohs will have a refurbished Stadium Australia, as will the Bulldogs and Tigers. The Cowboys will move into a swish, brand new stadium next year.

There are worse NRL grounds than Canberra Stadium - Brookvale Oval and Shark Park come to mind. Canberra Stadium is more or less in the same league as the home grounds of the Knights, Dragons, Warriors and Panthers.

A lot of people no doubt yearn for the days of the small grounds like Leichhardt and Belmore. People complain that small crowds in big stadiums like Stadium Australia generate no atmosphere. But times are changing. If our code anchors itself in tiny, crumbling, suburban grounds, we cannot grow. We need more "Western Sydney Stadiums". And we need one in Canberra. Preferably with retractable roof.

The ACT Government has put a new stadium on the back burner in Canberra. There are reasons. It's affected by decisions about whether the ACT can take ownership of the existing stadium. The idea is the existing stadium could then be demolished, sold off for development, with the proceeds used to build a new one in Civic. It's been affected by Mr Fluffy and light rail being given priority. It may have also been affected by the recent backlash from sections of the community to the scale of investments in the three Sydney stadiums. But it is likely that the result of the NSW election shows that new stadiums are not actually on the nose with the voters.

It's well past time to take a new Canberra Stadium off the back burner.

This week the Raiders head to Townsville for a clash with the North Queensland Cowboys - hoping for their best start to the season since 2005.

The Cowboys were poor last week in their heavy defeat at the hands of the Sharks. And that just makes them all the more dangerous. Their pride was dented, and this year a number of teams have responded resoundingly in similar situations.

The Raiders also have a poor record in far north Queensland. They broke a nine game losing streak in Townsville last year. They'll be playing in tough conditions, the heat and humidity of Townsville probably close to their peak at 4:30 pm on Saturday afternoon. Canberra will need to be switched on, but I'm tipping they can do the job.

The Raiders Jersey Flegg team have another home game this weekend, playing the Sydney Roosters at one of the Raiders' spiritual homes, Seiffert Oval this Saturday at 3:00 pm. The match is part of a four game program of junior games, with the Raiders three Junior Representative teams playing the Illawarra Steelers in the final round of their regular season from 10:30 am at Seiffert. Both the SG Ball and Tarsha Gale Cup teams are still in the running for the finals.

The Raiders' NSW Cup affiliate, Mounties, is again at home this week when they host the Western Suburbs Magpies at Aubrey Keech Reserve on Sunday at 3:00pm. Mounties are undefeated so far this season, in third place on the ladder - and it should be a good clash with the fourth placed Magpies. If you can't get to the ground, you can listen to the on line radio call at: www.steelesports.com.au.

It is a big weekend for the Canberra Raiders Cup as well! On Saturday, our Canberra Raiders Cup representatives are in action when the Monaro Colts face the Illawarra South Coast Dragons in the final of the 2019 Country Championships at Mudgee's Glen Willow Stadium. It is the third year in a row that our Canberra reps have made the final - and here is hoping they can make it two out of three! You can watch a live stream from 2:30pm.

It's a Super Sunday for the opening round of the 2019 Canberra Raiders Cup, with four big games. The Greenhouse will be at the clash between the 2018 premiers, the Woden Valley Rams and the Yass Magpies. The Magpies enter their 100th season as the oldest club in the region. If you can't get to Phillip, you will be able to see the Bar TV Sports live stream.

Every week I rate the Raiders players on a scale of 0-10... and here are the total points and average points per match after the win over the Knights. Let us know if you agree with the ratings... or not!

Total points

John Bateman 24
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 22
Josh Hodgson 22
Josh Papalii 22
Sia Soliola 21
Jarrod Croker 20
Joey Leilua 20
Jack Wighton 19
Corey Horsburgh 18
Elliott Whitehead 18
Nick Cotric 18
Ryan Sutton 17
Siliva Havili 17
Dunamis Lui 15
Aidan Sezer 12
Jordan Rapana 12
Joe Tapine 9
Sam Williams 7
Bailey Simonsson 6
Hudson Young 5

Average points per match

John Bateman 8.0
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 7.3
Josh Hodgson 7.3
Josh Papalii 7.3
Sia Soliola 7.0
Sam Williams 7.0
Jarrod Croker 6.7
Joey Leilua 6.7
Jack Wighton 6.3
Corey Horsburgh 6.0
Elliott Whitehead 6.0
Nick Cotric 6.0
Aidan Sezer 6.0
Jordan Rapana 6.0
Bailey Simonsson 6.0
Ryan Sutton 5.7
Siliva Havili 5.7
Dunamis Lui 5.0
Hudson Young 5.0
Joe Tapine 4.5

Plus follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders

If you can put some sentences together and you'd like to write a regular column for The Greenhouse, let us know! We are keen to have more contributing writers!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I think if you look at our time in possession it's first but when you look at raw possession stats we are second last (All Receipts). That's an indication that our games are been played at a relatively slow pace, which would have to be partially be down to wrestle.

Generally I think 90% of NRL stats are useless as an indicator of anything, but interestingly a better statistician than any at the NRL put together a line speed stat that shows we are going very well so far in that regard. Of our opponents Melbourne are definitely in another class.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nrl/comments/b ... s_round_3/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: April 4, 2019, 2:51 pm I think if you look at our time in possession it's first but when you look at raw possession stats we are second last (All Receipts). That's an indication that our games are been played at a relatively slow pace, which would have to be partially be down to wrestle.

Generally I think 90% of NRL stats are useless as an indicator of anything, but interestingly a better statistician than any at the NRL put together a line speed stat that shows we are going very well so far in that regard. Of our opponents Melbourne are definitely in another class.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nrl/comments/b ... s_round_3/
Thanks for those!
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Tunza is definitely a poster we're lucky to have in the greater community.
Not least of all due to his frustration that the raiders never leave his top 8 power rankings :).

Great read GE.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Through green eyes: As I saw it

""We gave them a lot of opportunity to win there in the second half, but they were probably just a little bit worse than us. I don't think it was a real high-quality game of footy to watch ... but it was a messy game we didn't play well in and won. Last year we lost those games."

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart.

Round 4 2019. Canberra Raiders 30 - North Queensland Cowboys 12. It wasn't perfect. The Raiders dominated in the first half, and probably should have led by more than 10 points at half time. They allowed the Cowboys to come back, trailing by just six points at one stage in the second half.

But there are reasons to be satisfied, perhaps even excited, about the Canberra Raiders' performance in Townsville. One reason to be satisfied is the defence. The Raiders made too many errors, and some crucial errors at the wrong times. In the second half, the Cowboys were gaining momentum and the Raiders kept turning the ball over to them. But this year, the Canberra Raiders are very determined to defend their errors. The Raiders conceded just 12 points, and are averaging 11 points conceded per match. That is a record that is amongst the best in the competition.

Another reason to be satisfied is the form of the Raiders' attacking weapons. The Raiders attack is still not firing on all cylinders. Coach Ricky Stuart has clearly said he's not focused on it, to start the season. He knows the team can score points. The spine combinations are still building and the play makers made some wrong choices and errors against the Cowboys. But the team still scored 30 points. The outside backs showed they were getting back to their best. "Leipana" was certainly back, with Jordan Rapana scoring two tries in his 100th NRL game and Joey Leilua one. Nick Cotric is not far off his best form after a quiet start to the season; he also scored a four pointer.

Then there is Jarrod Croker. He scored a try and five goals. In the process, he passed 1800 career points and entered the list of the top 10 point scorers in NRL history. He's only three tries behind Jason Croker's club record for most career tries in green. Oh, and by the way, he has now become the third most capped Raider, behind Jason Croker and Laurie Daley. His tackling is better than ever.

The forwards. One more reason to be satisfied. The more mobile forward pack is not only contributing to the defence, but they were impressive in carting the ball forward. Canberra's second try was the result of an almost perfect set from the pack, gaining over 60 metres, to set the platform for the backs. The big names are certainly doing their job, but the positive thing is how the up and comers are lifting.

One final reason to be satisfied? The Raiders did not fade in the final stages. Townsville is hot, it's humid, they are difficult conditions for Canberrans. But this year there are no signs of the fades we repeatedly saw in the past two seasons.

We need to give credit, where credit is due. Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart promised to address the defence, the game management. He's delivering. He is looking to make small improvements every week. He's delivering that too. His messages, the ones we hear certainly, are right on point. He's downplaying what the team has delivered so far. We keep hearing the phrase "we haven't done anything yet". Last night he told us it was not a high quality game, that the team didn't play well... but they won. There are no excuses proffered, no mention of officiating. There's complete focus on the things the team can control, complete focus on accountability of the team for performances.

Stats that mattered? The Raiders enjoyed a 53 per cent share of possession, posting a 78 per cent completion rate (Cowboys 64 per cent). The disparity in possession and completions was much more marked in the first half, with Canberra having almost 60 per cent of the ball. That turned in the second half with Canberra producing too many errors, gifting the Cowboys advantage in possession (55 per cent) and territory (57 per cent). The Cowboys still produced more errors than the Raiders overall (15-9), but the Raiders conceded more penalties (7-6).

The Raiders made more runs (173-167), more running metres (1595-1355), more post contact metres (469-395), more kick return metres (154-140) and four more metres on average per set (39-35). The Raiders made 29 tackle breaks (Cowboys 25) and four line breaks (Cowboys two). The Raiders kicked more than the Cowboys (20-15), producing 503 kicking metres (374 for the Cowboys). Both teams forced one line drop out.

The two teams both made 326 tackles, but the Cowboys had more missed tackles (29-25) and more ineffective tackles (14-10). The Raiders effective tackle rate was a very good 90.3 per cent (Cowboys 88.3 per cent).

Memorable moments? The Raiders produced some classy tries, the first seeing the ball crisply passed through the hands of every player on the left side, with fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad chiming in as well - with winger Nick Cotric going over in the corner. It was a great effort to ground it just inside the touch line. Croker's try was very well worked.

How about Elliott Whitehead? Inside the final five minutes, with the Cowboys attacking the Raiders' goal line, he somehow managed to force a turnover, kicking the ball ahead, regathering and running maybe 50 metres before the speedier Cowboys managed to drag him down. What a stunning effort! And it set up Jordan Rapana's second try.

However, the best try of the match came with just under five minutes to the half time break. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad made a half break before sending a great ball wide to Jordan Rapana - who ran down the touchline and then kicked inside. Who was there? Joey Leilua of course! It was a stunning try under the posts, and Leipana was back!

Josh Hodgson made some errors. But he produced some great little moments. In the 20th minute, he pressured Michael Morgan into kicking out on the full. Then in the second half, he made a crucial one on one strip, just when the Raiders were under pressure and most needed it. Great tactics from the co-captain.

Best performers?

Jordan Rapana. Two tries, 18 runs for 178 metres, 47 post contact metres, two line breaks, one try assist, four tackle breaks, three dummy half runs, two tackles. He's back to top form after his shoulder surgery.

Ryan Sutton. 15 runs for 134 metres, 42 post contact metres, 36 tackles, 94.7 per cent tackle efficiency. He's taken a while to settle into the NRL, but he's grabbed the opportunity to start at lock. He'd run over 100 metres in his first stint in this game. When Joe Tapine returns, I'd have him alongside Papalii at starting prop.

John Bateman. 14 runs for 130 metres, 38 post contact metres, three tackle breaks, one offload, 33 tackles, 91.7 per cent tackle efficiency.

Joey Leilua and Elliott Whitehead get honourable mentions.

Top tacklers: Josh Hodgson 43, Ryan Sutton 36, Elliott Whitehead 33
Most metres gained: Jordan Rapana 178, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 146, Ryan Sutton 139

My player ratings:

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 7
Nick Cotric 7
Jarrod Croker 7
Joey Leilua 7
Jordan Rapana 8
Jack Wighton 7
Sam Williams 5
Josh Papalii 7
Josh Hodgson 7
Dunamis Lui 6
John Bateman 7
Elliott Whitehead 7
Ryan Sutton 8

Siliva Havili 6
Hudson Young 2*
Sia Soliola 7
Corey Horsburgh 5

* Played seven minutes.

Do you agree or disagree with the ratings? Let us know!

Plus follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders

If you can put some sentences together and you'd like to write a regular column for The Greenhouse, let us know! We are keen to have more contributing writers!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Even when Bateman has a seemingly quiet game (comparatively) those stats are pretty good. I'd probably put Hodgson as an 8 as well. He dominated that first half and while we probably didn't get as many points as we should, given the possession/position I think it is part of the reason we finished slightly stronger.

I liked that we seemed to start to unravel a little in the second half but then reined it back in by simplifying our game. A few grubbers finding touch was good, mature game management.

Our defence was good but hopefully Williams resists the temptation to rush up out of the line - he has improved but got caught out a few times.

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Agree with your rating of Sutton. He has plugged the center field gaps exploited by the Storm. Other than a lost ball early in the first half he was great as was Rapa and imo EW. I am used to the under rating of Sam Williams matches. He put the kick through the line for BJ to toe ahead for Rapa's first try. If the ball doesn't go through the line, the try is not possible. He put in another grubber just after this which also went through the line and the Cowboys had to put it dead in goal. Too many times others are finding legs with their kicks. Most of his kicks found grass. He does need to run it more but when the strike weapons outside him are wanting the ball then its best generally to give it to them.

Morgan caused some defensive issues for John Bateman. In the try to Cooper, JB and Hodgo could not lock up the ball from Morgan and Cooper scored. In the second try to Asiata, Morgan beat JB before the pass to Asiata for the try. Some defensive adjustments needed by JB imo.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RedRaider... defence cost Sam some rating points.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Good writeup as always, Ferg. I think all you missed was Elliott Whitehead's charge-down, but otherwise a solid account.

Have to agree with Coach Stuart's assessment 100%, last year we lose that game. In reality, this time last year we're either 1-3 or 0-4. Stunning turnaround by the coach and his boys, I'm very proud of them all.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: April 7, 2019, 1:09 pm RedRaider... defence cost Sam some rating points.
Can you give some examples GE?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

RedRaider wrote:
greeneyed wrote: April 7, 2019, 1:09 pm RedRaider... defence cost Sam some rating points.
The reason Morgan was able to put Asiata in for that try was on Williams rushing out of the line and creating the gap to exploit. He doesn't rush up and Morgan just spins it wide or tries a grubber.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RedRaider wrote: April 7, 2019, 3:27 pm
Both tries.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

gergreg wrote: April 7, 2019, 3:51 pm
RedRaider wrote:
The reason Morgan was able to put Asiata in for that try was on Williams rushing out of the line and creating the gap to exploit. He doesn't rush up and Morgan just spins it wide or tries a grubber.

and the first was mostly because Williams took nobody as well.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Thanks for the write up!

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: April 7, 2019, 5:30 pm
Both tries.
It was lucky to only be 2
Morgan and Cooper really started going at him. He came up with no one 2-3 other times and thankfully the inside and and outside men were able to shut it down
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Both tries.
The first try was on Williams?? He came up but did not leave a gap. A player rushes up to stop the ball going wider and to drive the player in possession back into the arms of your defensive line. This is what happened but Hodgo and JB could not lock up the ball in the tackle. They were tackling a half back not a giant forward.

The Asiata try, Williams was stepped by Morgan. Fair call. Then Morgan also stepped JB before passing in field for the try.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

He did create a gap. Cooper ran through the gap Williams created by rushing out of the line at no one. It doesn't jam the defense when you're only putting pressure on fresh air and an elite half like Morgan sees the opportunity when you do. The commentators even mentioned it.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Your right GE, Ricky deserves credit for the defensive turn around in the club.

Can’t help but think he is getting another 3 year extension again

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

edwahu wrote:He did create a gap. Cooper ran through the gap Williams created by rushing out of the line at no one. It doesn't jam the defense when you're only putting pressure on fresh air and an elite half like Morgan sees the opportunity when you do. The commentators even mentioned it.
Agreed, while rushing up is a way of coralling the play back into the centre your edge players do this and in both instances Williams wasn't really on the edge. More importantly a player rushes up out of the line to shut the play down with a blindside or smothering tackle. He failed on both occasions.

Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

RedRaider wrote:
Both tries.
The first try was on Williams?? He came up but did not leave a gap. A player rushes up to stop the ball going wider and to drive the player in possession back into the arms of your defensive line. This is what happened but Hodgo and JB could not lock up the ball in the tackle. They were tackling a half back not a giant forward.

The Asiata try, Williams was stepped by Morgan. Fair call. Then Morgan also stepped JB before passing in field for the try.
Don’t even try it Red Raider Sam is one of those players that will only ever be put down for his mistakes but never recognised for his achievements.There were others that made mistakes on the weekend but they are given the greenhouse green light. In the end thought it matters zero what anyone’s opinion on here is it’s just some fantasy that makes them think their point of view is even vaguely relevant. Just don’t judge the judges is the number one rule here.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk