Through green eyes 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Re: Through green eyes 2019

Post by Brew »

BJ wrote:I’m surprised so many are calling for Sam Williams over Sezer. Sam must have suddenly learnt how to tackle the likes of Toumalolo, Fifita and Sam Burgess over the off season.

During NRL games the attacking team try and isolate a weak defender in the line, I don’t think this happens to the same level in trial games.
But picking a halfback, do you think most teams select them on game management or wether they can tackle the biggest players in the NRL?
I’m not saying Sam is a good defender, it’s just most halfbacks aren’t selected based on it, they probably just play in better defensive structured teams and aren’t noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Team selection predictions ahead of Round 1

The Raiders have plenty of forward to fit into few spots, and with Jack Wighton’s shift to the halves, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad is set to get the nod for the No.1 jersey, keeping Nick Cotric on the wing. New English recruits Ryan Sutton and John Bateman will make their NRL debut, while Sia Soliola and Josh Papalii will form the front row partnership. Young forward Corey Horsbugh is also pushing for his first grade debut and could grab a bench spot ahead of Luke Bateman.

Predicted Raiders team: 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 2. Nick Cotric 3. Jarrod Croker 4. Joseph Leilua 5. Michael Oldfield 6. Jack Wighton 7. Aidan Sezer 8. Sia Soliola 9. Josh Hodgson 10. Josh Papalii 11. Joseph Tapine 12. Elliott Whitehead 13. John Bateman. Interchange: 14 Siliva Havilii 15 Ryan Sutton 16. Emre Guler 17. Luke Bateman

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... fe4696c925

This predicted line up looks the most likely out of any of the previously reported pre-season line ups. Looks like it was taken straight from GEs write up :lol:
boydy80
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by boydy80 »

Orange is the new black..... And Ryan Sutton is the new Jordan Turner
Long time creeper....... First time poster
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote: March 11, 2019, 1:43 pm Team selection predictions ahead of Round 1

The Raiders have plenty of forward to fit into few spots, and with Jack Wighton’s shift to the halves, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad is set to get the nod for the No.1 jersey, keeping Nick Cotric on the wing. New English recruits Ryan Sutton and John Bateman will make their NRL debut, while Sia Soliola and Josh Papalii will form the front row partnership. Young forward Corey Horsbugh is also pushing for his first grade debut and could grab a bench spot ahead of Luke Bateman.

Predicted Raiders team: 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 2. Nick Cotric 3. Jarrod Croker 4. Joseph Leilua 5. Michael Oldfield 6. Jack Wighton 7. Aidan Sezer 8. Sia Soliola 9. Josh Hodgson 10. Josh Papalii 11. Joseph Tapine 12. Elliott Whitehead 13. John Bateman. Interchange: 14 Siliva Havilii 15 Ryan Sutton 16. Emre Guler 17. Luke Bateman

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... fe4696c925

This predicted line up looks the most likely out of any of the previously reported pre-season line ups. Looks like it was taken straight from GEs write up :lol:
Looks the same as mine too, except I've got Hunt in for Sutton, and starting instead of Soliola.

EDIT: and Simonsen in for OldBeard, obviously
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Through green eyes: Why it is time to bite the bullet on Third Party Agreements

Just a couple of weeks before the NRL season kicked off, the NRL handed down some of the most wide ranging sanctions for salary cap cheating and player misbehaviour that the game has ever seen. I think, for the most part, the NRL got the sanctions right, including the new no fault stand down provisions for players facing serious charges.

The Cronulla Sharks - proven to be cheating the cap systematically over a number of years - possibly got off a little lightly. They established a shelf company to route payments to players under bogus "Third Party Agreements", making promises of payments of around $700,000.

We are led to believe that in 2016, their premiership year, the Sharks were under the cap "on Grand Final day". That is, even taking the bogus TPAs into account, they were not over the cap. But they were still cheating. TPAs are supposed to have nothing to do with a club, but the Sharks were orchestrating the illegal payments. They were lucky not to have their premiership stripped or to suffer any competition points deductions this year. But I guess that they got some credit for "self reporting" the irregularities.

Now that the dust has settled, however, the NRL really needs to look again at the TPA arrangements.

Under intense pressure last year, the NRL released details of the total amount of TPAs at every club. The NRL's spin was... "see, they're not as big as you might have thought." The Storm had TPAs of around $1 million, the Broncos $800,000. Some clubs had close to none.

The difference between the "haves" and "have nots", however, is not negligible. You can buy a marquee spine player for $1 million - and that's clearly not a level playing field. You'd think that would have been enough for the NRL to say it is unfair. But no, they continued to justify the current system.

When TPAs were introduced, it was in the environment of a relatively constrained salary cap. They helped ensure that the highest profile players would stay in the game. But today, the top players are very well rewarded, under a generous salary cap. It will become increasingly generous. That justification no longer exists.

But what is worse, TPAs have been the mechanism for major salary cap rorts at the Sharks, the Eels and Sea Eagles in recent years. With TPAs outside the cap, the incentives are strong for clubs to use them to recruit and retain players - when the clubs are not supposed to have anything to do with them at all.

As they stand, the incentives in the salary cap arrangements are all wrong. I can see why you might give incentives in the cap for retaining long serving players, for rewarding loyalty. The rules do that now, though possibly the generosity of those concessions could be looked at again. I also can see a case for giving incentives in the cap to encourage junior development, and allow clubs to retain stars that they've developed. The current rules do nothing at all for that.

Instead, the TPA rules give the big clubs, with wealthy third party benefactors, an advantage - and worse still, encourage clubs to evade the cap illegally.

During the last CBA negotiations, the Rugby League Players Association proposed reform of TPAs, so they'd be capped at a level well below the levels we see at the Storm and Broncos.

It is something I've advocated before, myself. It'd be a good first step. But the NRL really now needs to bite the bullet. Roll in a small amount into the salary cap, make TPAs subject to the cap, and give the clubs flexibility on remuneration for players - either through TPAs or salary.

We'll then have a level playing field, and TPAs will likely largely disappear. One avenue for salary cap rorting will also disappear.

And if you're thinking... "that's not legal, you can't constrain the player's ability to enter third party deals like that"... well, actually it is likely you can. If the salary cap is legal, including all forms of player remuneration in them could be done, if it is done properly. Google "are salary caps legal in Australia" and you'll readily find the legal journals which explain why.

So, after all the drama of the off season, isn't it great to have the footy back? The season kicked off last night with a very good clash between the Storm and the Broncos. And given the way the Storm played, I'm a bit worried about Canberra's clash with Melbourne in Round 2!

But first, the Raiders head to the Gold Coast for a clash with the Titans. The worst thing is having to wait all weekend - until Sunday night - for the match! I'm hoping for some revenge for the last gasp loss to the Titans in Round 1 last year. I'm tipping they can do it.

The Greenhouse Live won't be going on the road as much this year - and we won't be on the Gold Coast - but we will still have a post game show on The Greenhouse Facebook page after the game on Sunday night. So don't forget to tune in!

Plus follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders

If you can put some sentences together and you'd like to write a regular column for The Greenhouse, let us know! We are keen to have more contributing writers!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

No Greenhouse Live this game?? What the ****?!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Rickman wrote: March 15, 2019, 2:52 pm No Greenhouse Live this game?? What the ****?!
Not at the ground, as neither Sean nor I will be on the Gold Coast. We'll mostly be doing them for home games and some Sydney games. Otherwise, we'll do them from Canberra. I'm trying to encourage the hosts to rotate at the Raiders clubs for those away matches... but not having much success in doing so!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: March 15, 2019, 2:56 pm
The Rickman wrote: March 15, 2019, 2:52 pm No Greenhouse Live this game?? What the ****?!
Not at the ground, as neither Sean nor I will be on the Gold Coast. We'll mostly be doing them for home games and some Sydney games. Otherwise, we'll do them from Canberra. I'm trying to encourage the hosts to rotate at the Raiders clubs for those away matches... but not having much success in doing so!
Neither of you will be on the Gold Coast?? What the ****?!
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

greeneyed wrote: March 15, 2019, 2:44 pm Through green eyes: Why it is time to bite the bullet on Third Party Agreements

Most teams have to shed a few players after a GF win. The current premiers managed to keep the team together, with a few upgrades thrown in. Amazing.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Through green eyes: As I saw it

"It comes back to the maturity of the group. There have been a couple of things that have stood out to me over the off-season. One of them was the way they came back after their break at the start of pre-season and then how they came back after the Christmas break. They did their off-season programs, they did their Christmas programs and they came back and you could see that there was a real focus on wanting to be individually good. They’re disgruntled about not playing semi-final football. And so they should be. The two years that we’ve missed out on over the last two years I believe we were a good enough squad to have made the semis."

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart.

Round 1 2019. Canberra Raiders 21 - Gold Coast Titans 0. It was the sort of tough win in tough conditions that every Raiders fan - and no doubt Raiders coach Ricky Stuart - had been hoping for in Round 1. There was no hint of the Round 1 performance of 2018 against the Titans, when the Raiders conceded a big lead, suffering a last gasp, narrow loss. Most of the match was played in a monsoon.

There is no doubt that the Titans were impacted by the loss of Ashley Taylor prior to the match - and Tyrone Roberts early in the match. But Canberra's more mobile forward pack contained the much bigger Titans forwards.

The Raiders' defence refused to concede a single point, the first time since Round 19 of 2013. And the Raiders showed the results of their work on game management. There were four forced line drop outs. And in the final stages, a field goal, to take the lead to 19 points - taking the match completely out of reach of the Titans. Forced line drop outs and field goals have been few and far between for the Raiders in recent seasons.

Stats that mattered? Zero, four, one. The zero, the four and the one just mentioned - those numbers bode well for the season ahead. The Raiders finished with 55 per cent possession, completing at 74 per cent (64 per cent for the Titans). The Raiders produced 12 errors and the Titans 14 - but those figures were understandable considering the conditions. After being the least disciplined team in the competition last season, the Raiders conceded just six penalties (Titans 11). The Raiders made more runs (158-145) and produced more metres gained (1365m-1140m), more post contact metres (425m-333m) and more kick return metres (234-159). Tackle breaks were almost even (Titans 27, Raiders 26), as were offloads (Titans 9, Raiders 8). The Raiders' kicking was a feature of the match, and they ended with 740 kicking metres (Titans 458). The Titans had to make many more tackles (341-290), but the Titans had a slightly better effective tackle rate (Titans 89 per cent, Raiders 88 per cent), with the Raiders missing 27 tackles, the Titans 26.

20,000. That was a statistic that didn't really matter in terms of the season. But the Raiders became the club that reached the 20,000 all time points mark most quickly, when Sia Soliola scored the first try in the match. It was a nice honour for the spiritual leader of the club.

Five. There were five players on debut in the green in the match. The stand out was English international John Bateman. He took a little while to settle into the game, but by the end, there was no doubt that he'll be one of the signings of the NRL season, if not the very best. He was great in defence and attack. Fellow Englishman Ryan Sutton didn't get many minutes. He was solid, but he's going to take a little while to adjust to the NRL.

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad took over the No. 1 jersey, and he looked a little vulnerable under the high ball at times. He dropped one bomb and let a couple bounce. But those are fairly good numbers given the conditions. And he looked very good in attack, looking for the ball and producing good kick return metres.

Corey Horsburgh and Bailey Simonsson made their first class debuts in the match. Horsburgh produced a couple of errors, but did he ever make up for it in defence. In everything he did, he just tore in. He is going to be an outstanding player. Bailey Simonsson got a try on debut. In fact he probably could have got two if Joey Leilua had passed to him when he was completely unmarked. Leilua fortunately found the try line on his own, despite the attentions of the defence. Simonsson is just 21 years of age and is a raw talent. He had to leave the field early, due to cramp, and he's probably been thrown in a little early. But he produced a try, three tackle breaks and 124 metres. You couldn't ask much more from him.

Memorable moments? The Raiders' three tries probably won't make the try of the year list. The best was the one scored by Simonsson. Aidan Sezer put in a kick, and Josh Papalii produced an extraordinary pick up from the rebound before giving it back to Sezer - who then produced a perfect kick to the corner for his winger. Joey Leilua's try was notable - apart from Leilua's usual beast mode - for a great offload and the try assist from Nick Cotric.

The kicking was one of the things that really stuck in my mind. Mid way through the first half, Jack Wighton delivered a great long kick - with great defence from Jarrod Croker securing a forced line drop out. Josh Hodgson's kicking was also very good. He set up the first try for Sia Soliola with a very good short kick. And then in the second half, a long kick produced another great forced line drop out, with Joey Leilua's defence trapping the Titans in the in goal.

In defence, Jack Wighton produced what was probably the best tackle of the match. In the 25th minute he smashed Kevin Proctor, producing a terrific turnover.

Best performers?

It is difficult to pick just three. Sia Soliola was fantastic off the bench, producing a try, 121 metres from 13 runs, two tackle breaks and 27 tackles. Jack Wighton was very good in his return to five eighth. He took over Blake Austin's kicking role with aplomb (300 kicking metres) and his defence in the middle was great. He ran big metres. Aidan Sezer did well, with a try assist, a field goal and 248 kicking metres. But these are my top three performers:

Josh Papalii. 12 runs for 114 metres, 36 post contact metres, one tackle break, two offloads, 18 tackles. His numbers were not quite as good as Soliola's, but Papalii was tough. He led the pack from the start in the heat of the battle. Everything he did was ferocious, both in attack and defence.

John Bateman. 19 runs for 154 metres, 52 post contact metres, five tackle breaks, 36 tackles. Outstanding first match in the NRL, and he showed he wasn't afraid to get involved when things got rough.

Josh Hodgson. Two runs for 25 metres, one try assist, 34 tackles, five kicks for 192 metres. Possibly we are already seeing the impact of Hodgson's work with coaching consultant Michael Ennis.

Top tacklers: John Bateman 36, Josh Hodgson 34, Elliott Whitehead 33.
Most metres gained: John Bateman 154, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 152, Jack Wighton 128.

My player ratings:

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 7
Nick Cotric 6
Jarrod Croker 6
Joey Leilua 7
Bailey Simonsson 6
Jack Wighton 7
Aidan Sezer 7
Josh Papalii 8
Josh Hodgson 8
Dunamis Lui 5
Joe Tapine 6
Elliott Whitehead 6
John Bateman 8

Sia Soliola 8
Siliva Havili 5
Ryan Sutton 5
Corey Horsburgh 6

Do you agree or disagree with the ratings? Let us know!

Plus follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders

If you can put some sentences together and you'd like to write a regular column for The Greenhouse, let us know! We are keen to have more contributing writers!
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Good write up GE. I note we had 55% possession yet had 29 missed tackles compared to 28 for the Titans. Who were our worst in the missed tackle department?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I suspect you know Red Raider! The numbers should have read 27 Raiders, Titans 26.

Jack Wighton 5
Aidan Sezer 5
Joseph Tapine 4
Josh Hodgson 3
John Bateman 3
Charnze Nicol-Klokstad 1
Jarrod Croker 1
Bailey Simonsson 1
Dunamis Lui 1
Elliott Whitehead 1
Sia Soliola 1
Corey Horsburgh 1
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Wighton and Sezer 5 each.
Tapine 4 missed, 3 ineffective.

Pretty easy to see why sometimes these stats are pointless.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think you do need to look at missed tackles in the context of the game. Plus we know halves and hookers get targeted, as do players on the edges.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Yep. It's possible for players to miss a bunch of tackles that don't concede any line breaks or try's as the line is maintained and the scramble is good.
Arm grabbing misses are far worse than fronting up and holding your ground but not making the tackle, and so on.
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

I said at halftime that the fact we had 75% handling was impressive with the conditions only dropping 1% after that abysmal 15 minute period where it was drop city makes me even happier.
I think CNK could almost push oldfield out when Rapana comes back from injury.
Bateman is the mongrel we have been missing and if the refs don't start targeting he will become a fan favourite very quickly.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: March 18, 2019, 1:21 pm I suspect you know Red Raider! The numbers should have read 27 Raiders, Titans 26.

Jack Wighton 5
Aidan Sezer 5
Joseph Tapine 4
Josh Hodgson 3
John Bateman 3
Charnze Nicol-Klokstad 1
Jarrod Croker 1
Bailey Simonsson 1
Dunamis Lui 1
Elliott Whitehead 1
Sia Soliola 1
Corey Horsburgh 1
No GE, I have difficulty in finding useful individual player stats for a defensofile like me. I liked the old NRL Stats site. It was very comprehensive on both team and individual performance. I was not able to watch the match so couldn't use the 'eye test'.

Thank you for providing the information. No surprise the halves were targeted. Interesting (in a good way) BJ is not on the list.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: March 18, 2019, 1:23 pm Wighton and Sezer 5 each.
Tapine 4 missed, 3 ineffective.

Pretty easy to see why sometimes these stats are pointless.
Yes. I remember a couple of these from Wighton and Tapine they came out quick (great linespeed), made a nice solid bump on the guy but slipped off and someone else makes the tackle. It's actually a good result, very few yards or a situation defused but goes as a miss. Wighton's great kick chase where he flies down 80m on his own kick, forces Gordon into a desperate evasion -misses a tackle- but Gordon was herded straight into Croker to force the drop out. Missed tackle though in the book.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

JC was very good on kick chase in the trial match. It is a feature of his game.

I have a different view of tackles and miss tackles. Either make the tackle or don't. If a player misses, it means a team mate has to expend the energy to make the tackle and that can tell at the back end of matches. Even if a line break is not made, someone else has to do the work. I understand that an ineffective tackle can sometimes mean the ball carrier is an easy target for the following defender, but the fewer missed the better for me.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

RedRaider wrote: March 18, 2019, 4:10 pm JC was very good on kick chase in the trial match. It is a feature of his game.

I have a different view of tackles and miss tackles. Either make the tackle or don't. If a player misses, it means a team mate has to expend the energy to make the tackle and that can tell at the back end of matches. Even if a line break is not made, someone else has to do the work. I understand that an ineffective tackle can sometimes mean the ball carrier is an easy target for the following defender, but the fewer missed the better for me.
Disagree. Thats a very basic view of what’s happening. halting momentum is crucial. Missed tackles that force a player to crab across field throw off attacking plays and structures while also sometimes resulting in a more dominant tackle in the end.
Now with a smaller pack we will see more missed tackles against larger packs, we will have more stamina to allow for them
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Maybe that's true Red Raider... but I puzzled in 2016 or 2017 (I can't remember which now) that the Raiders had one of the lowest missed tackle rates, but that wasn't reflected at in points conceded.

Last season they finished eighth for missed tackles, but 11th for least points conceded. The Panthers, Warriors, Broncos, Sharks and Warriors all missed more tackles than Canberra. All of them conceded far fewer points than Canberra. The Sharks and Rabbitohs conceded more than 100 points less than Canberra.

Here's another sobering stat. The Bulldogs missed fewer tackles than any team in 2018. They ranked ninth for fewest points conceded. The Dragons and Sea Eagles ranked next for fewest missed tackles, above the Roosters. The Sea Eagles conceded the most points in the competition.

So, by itself, missed tackles can't be a great indicator of your defensive capability.

My explanation... the Raiders were either not even attempting tackles, so they're not counted as "missed" (serious structural problems) or the scramble was not working.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Missed tackles, along with tackles made, run meters are affected by the amount of possession a team has. That was why I was surprised when we had 55% possession but made more missed tackles in aggregate.

I take your point on 'not trying' or out of position. The former for Austin, the latter for BJ when he would slide out and the ball carrier would stroll through the gap. No missed tackle recorded as no attempt made.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’m on simo’s bus here. Particularly with your halves, if they stop the play I couldn’t give a flying saucer if they completed the tackle.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

It’s only just dawned on me that a lot of missed tackles from halves would come from them chasing their own kicks hard and meeting the fullback first, causing them to change direction.

Agree that the stat is misguided
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

simo wrote: March 18, 2019, 4:20 pm
RedRaider wrote: March 18, 2019, 4:10 pm JC was very good on kick chase in the trial match. It is a feature of his game.

Disagree. Thats a very basic view of what’s happening. halting momentum is crucial. Missed tackles that force a player to crab across field throw off attacking plays and structures while also sometimes resulting in a more dominant tackle in the end.
Now with a smaller pack we will see more missed tackles against larger packs, we will have more stamina to allow for them
Just to be clear - are you disagreeing that 'the fewer missed tackles the better'?? So you want to see more missed tackles?? Some of the best defenders ever to play have been smaller blokes who had great technique - Bunny Reilly, John Raper, Dean Lance, Trevor Gillmeister, Toots Croker the list goes on.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I do think some mis tackles are caused by defenders rushing up to force the play.

It’s the missed tackles where the attacker rushes straight through the defender that are the ones to be concerned about.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

RedRaider wrote: March 18, 2019, 9:00 pm
simo wrote: March 18, 2019, 4:20 pm

Just to be clear - are you disagreeing that 'the fewer missed tackles the better'?? So you want to see more missed tackles?? Some of the best defenders ever to play have been smaller blokes who had great technique - Bunny Reilly, John Raper, Dean Lance, Trevor Gillmeister, Toots Croker the list goes on.
For clarity: no. Im saying the stat “missed tackles” is flawed and to use it without context of the reasons for the missed tackle is very simple minded in the modern game.
Dont delete this GE
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I think the coaches look at the missed tackle stats and those with high numbers would be looked at in the individual video sessions to see if there is a technique issue which needs correcting. Player performance should be about continuous improvement in an effort to get the missed tackle stat as low as possible.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

There was a discussion regarding Maloneys missed tackle stats last year. He has the worst. What they showed was him being bumped off as he was 1st in the tackle but it was enough to allow other defenders to come in with no further advancement in play. It's recorded as a missed/ineffective tackle

Sent from my SM-N960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 19, 2019, 1:18 pm There was a discussion regarding Maloneys missed tackle stats last year. He has the worst. What they showed was him being bumped off as he was 1st in the tackle but it was enough to allow other defenders to come in with no further advancement in play. It's recorded as a missed/ineffective tackle

Sent from my SM-N960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The trade off for Maloney is also he is a multiple premiership winner half with a (defence aside) pretty complete set of halfback skills, a top 5 half in the game easily.

He’s not a good tackler but at least he gets in the way and holds a system unlike Austin who was a sketchy tackler AND a poor defender structurally and attitude wise.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Agree on Maloney BnM. He is a match winner with the ball. I thought Penrith might have gone down the path of the Broncos with Lockyer when they had Tony Carroll right next to him all match, but they have let him play 'unescorted'. Maloney is good in big matches too, be they finals or SOO. Such great experience at organising the side and an accurate kicking game. None of the players who departed the Raiders had Maloney's year in year out match winning skills imo. Having said that, Luke Keary is a good chance to replace him in the rep stuff this year.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

GE, I disagree on you points awarded. I believe the two players who failed to reach FAQ were Whitehead and , slightly less so, Tapine. I would have had them at 5 or even perhaps 4. I am not being too critical as they are mostly among our best but on Sunday they were below par.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Through green eyes: Expansion, relocation... what's it all mean for the Canberra Raiders?

Back in the weeks before Christmas, it was announced that the Australian Rugby League Commission had asked the NRL to conduct a study into the "geographic footprint" of rugby league in Australia and the Pacific. The words "expansion" and "relocation" were used, but it didn't attract that much attention.

However, it has suddenly become a little bit more real. News broke overnight that the NRL has re-opened discussions about "perpetual licences" - but the quid pro quo for the NRL is that it would have much broader rights to re-locate clubs that were in financial difficulties, or being sold to new owners, under those proposed licences.

At present, the clubs have "time limited" licences, with the current agreements running to 2022. The clubs want "perpetual licences", as this would significantly enhance the value of their franchises, allowing them the ability to sell them to investors if they so chose.

Comments from Todd Greenberg in the past week have also made clear that expansion of the competition to 18 teams is an option being actively considered.

The words "expansion" and "relocation" have been sensitive subjects in rugby league since the days of the "ARL-Super League war". That "war" was driven by the intersection between sport, broadcasting and population. And the same forces are still at work today.

The bottom line is that if the NRL competition was being set up afresh today, it is unlikely that there would be nine clubs in Sydney, with all the clubs based on the east coast of Australia and in New Zealand.

In the past, an unnamed figure at the NRL reportedly said that if they were starting from scratch, they wouldn't put a pin in the map at Canberra either.

The free to air (FTA) television networks in Australia are based in the five largest State capital cities. That's why sporting codes have been so keen to have a "national" footprint - and by that, they mean teams in those five State capitals. Having teams in those five cities should mean bigger broadcasting deals. They're the biggest cities in the country as well, so that should help getting people through the gates.

The AFL, soccer and cricket have all achieved it. Super League did it over 20 years ago, but that all came crashing down, with teams in Adelaide and Perth abandoned.

Pay TV is a genuinely national broadcasting market. They don't care much if the viewers are in cities or regional areas. But regional viewers don't count for much with the major free to air networks. That's a particular challenge for rugby league.

The code dominates in New South Wales, Queensland and the ACT - half the population, and television viewers, of the country. But the population of the northern/eastern States is much more decentralised than in in the southern/western States. It is why it has made sense for rugby league to have teams in smaller cities like Townsville, Newcastle, Wollongong... and Canberra.

But the code now faces some difficult choices. The Sydney and smaller regional clubs have population bases, on average, of about 500,000 people. Some have less. Brisbane and Melbourne are one team towns. That makes sense for AFL mad Melbourne. But it doesn't make sense in the case of Brisbane. A population of over 2 million league mad people is served by just one club.

The confluence of broadcasting and population means that an extra team in Brisbane and a new team in Perth - and fewer teams in Sydney - make the most sense. Don't be tempted by the idea of more teams in regional areas in New South Wales or Queensland. Those towns simply don't have enough people... and they don't count with the major FTA TV networks.

I don't think expansion to 18 teams is going to fly. It would provide an extra game each week for the broadcasters. But it is questionable whether there is the depth of playing talent to support it. In addtion, if the broadcast revenue doesn't increase commensurately, that means fewer dollars available for the current 16 clubs. And, as we know, some teams have been in precarious financial positions - with the Tigers, Dragons, Knights and Titans all been bailed out by the NRL in recent times. The Sharks have been less than financially stable.

The clubs have been treated generously under the current broadcast deal. The salary cap for each is more than covered by the disbursements from the NRL. But it has been so generous that the financial capacity of the NRL for further bail outs is limited. And any further bail outs shouldn't simply allow for the maintenance of the status quo. The NRL should be relocating some teams if they're to make the competition more sustainable and more prosperous.

So what does all that mean for the Raiders? If the mooted "perpetual" licences - and greater powers for the NRL to relocate clubs - come to pass?

The AFL, soccer and cricket have all overlooked the national capital when considering expansion. To be blunt, population and broadcasting money are the reasons. If it were an option, that mystery figure at NRL headquarters in Sydney (if they are still there, of course!) might make the same choice today - rather than the one that was taken in 1981.

But I think Raiders fans can rest easy. The Raiders Group has not been immune from criticism, given the lack of success of the football club since they took back ownership. I've pushed for more accountability for success on the field, myself. But there's little doubt that the Raiders Group is stable and in good financial health. And that doesn't come about by accident, it comes about by good financial management. The Canberra Raiders have very solid local backing.

It will also benefit the smaller clubs if the monopoly of the Broncos over Brisbane is broken - as it should produce a more even competition, and a more successful, sustainable one.

We can only now wait and see whether the NRL can pull it off. In the meantime, I'd love to hear your views!

What a great win it was for the Raiders in Round 1! I tipped a win, but not a margin of over 20 points, with not a single point scored by the opposition. It was a very good performance in horrible weather conditions. There was no sign of a collapse in the final stages of the game. The work done in the off season on defence and game management was there for all to see. There was reason to be excited by new players like John Bateman, and players in new positions, like Jack Wighton and Josh Papalii. Now for the next test, and it is a tough one, against the clinical, methodical, relentless Melbourne Storm. The Raiders' record against the Storm is poor, with a win rate of a miserable 27 per cent. I'd love to think Canberra can win in their first home game of the season, but the Raiders face a five day turnaround, compared to an eight day turnaround for the Storm. I've tipped a Storm win, but I'm hoping I'm wrong!

If you can get off work early tomorrow, make sure you do it! The Raiders return to the Jersey Flegg competition in their own right this year, and they will turn out tomorrow afternoon against the Victoria Thunderbolts from 3:45pm. The Under 20s will be the curtain raiser for quite a number of the Raiders home games in 2019. I was someone who mourned the recent loss of the lower grades from game day. Being able to see the younger players come up through the ranks... well that's what makes you feel you're following a footy club, not a "franchise".

The Greenhouse Live will be broadcasting from outside Canberra Stadium after tomorrow night's match. So don't forget to tune in on The Greeenhouse Facebook page... and if you see us, don't be afraid to come up and say hello! And if you're following on line, we love seeing your comments and questions!

Plus follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders

Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: March 21, 2019, 12:51 pm Through green eyes: Expansion, relocation... what's it all mean for the Canberra Raiders?

Pay TV is a genuinely national broadcasting market. They don't care much if the viewers are in cities or regional areas.
Clearly you weren't following the A-league expansion decision over summer. They were bringing two new teams in and the FFA got a $5 million bonus for bringing in third teams from Melbourne and Sydney.

if they had have brought in the Canberra team (the only non-Melbourne or Sydney bid that got to the final round), they wouldn't have got the cash.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bay53 wrote: March 22, 2019, 12:22 pm
greeneyed wrote: March 21, 2019, 12:51 pm Through green eyes: Expansion, relocation... what's it all mean for the Canberra Raiders?

Pay TV is a genuinely national broadcasting market. They don't care much if the viewers are in cities or regional areas.
Clearly you weren't following the A-league expansion decision over summer. They were bringing two new teams in and the FFA got a $5 million bonus for bringing in third teams from Melbourne and Sydney.

if they had have brought in the Canberra team (the only non-Melbourne or Sydney bid that got to the final round), they wouldn't have got the cash.
That point is made later (that Canberra has been more than once overlooked in AFL, cricket and soccer). The point being made there is that FTA TV markets are regional and STV markets are national (and even international). And that's why you see FTA TV networks act as they do. It wasn't to suggest that STV doesn't care about aggregate viewers. In that particular case, the broadcaster clearly believes they will get more viewers (for soccer) with three teams in the two biggest cities.