Raiders player signing speculation 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43050
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by The Rickman » July 17, 2019, 11:38 am

BadnMean wrote:
July 17, 2019, 9:33 am
The Rickman wrote:
July 17, 2019, 7:45 am
BadnMean wrote:Imagine paying Bryce Cartwright and Tyrone Peachey 600k each...

Reminds me of Matt Elliot throwing huge dollars at spuds like Tyran Smith...
Ugh, Tyran Smith was one of the handful of players in my time I didn’t like seeing in green:

- Tyran Smith
- Troy Thompson (I realise the forum loves him because he wrote “funny” stories)
- Glenn Buttriss
- Blake Austin (circa 2018)
- Corey Horsburgh

Can’t think of too many others in my thirty odd years. I’d include Matt Orford, but by the time I realised I didn’t like him, he was gone. Outside of those guys you really won’t see me bagging our players, except for maybe individual mistakes or poor games.
Smith was only getting my goat because he was the definition of a journeyman plodder but we paid him marquee $$$ to come here. Managers smelled blood in the water. I did like that game when coach fired him up once and he ran around like a madman smashing everyone late or not didn't matter for 20 minutes then got put on report. Easts game?

Thompson and Buttriss were... again... just plodders. I'm not sure how Buttriss carried on so long. I guess there was always someone else worse in the team. He'd convinced some of my mates he was a "solid" NRL hooker and it was all our halves fault. Then Hodgo blew the scales off their eyes.

Did Hors snub you at a meet n greet? He's quite sloppy in discipline but he at least shows glimpses of a powerful forward- good tackling technique and makes yards after contact often. Just that he's ill disciplined on field and a bit of a partier off it.
Just to go a little further on that... I never had a problem with Glenn Buttriss as a person, seemed like a good bloke, and it was never anything personal. HOWEVER, dummy half became the most important position on the field a good twenty years ago, and while you're running around with a dummy half who was best described by his supporters as "average on his day", then you're going to have a bad time. And we did.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
zim
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6696
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by zim » July 17, 2019, 11:58 am

The Rickman wrote:
July 17, 2019, 11:38 am
BadnMean wrote:
July 17, 2019, 9:33 am
The Rickman wrote:
July 17, 2019, 7:45 am
BadnMean wrote:Imagine paying Bryce Cartwright and Tyrone Peachey 600k each...

Reminds me of Matt Elliot throwing huge dollars at spuds like Tyran Smith...
Ugh, Tyran Smith was one of the handful of players in my time I didn’t like seeing in green:

- Tyran Smith
- Troy Thompson (I realise the forum loves him because he wrote “funny” stories)
- Glenn Buttriss
- Blake Austin (circa 2018)
- Corey Horsburgh

Can’t think of too many others in my thirty odd years. I’d include Matt Orford, but by the time I realised I didn’t like him, he was gone. Outside of those guys you really won’t see me bagging our players, except for maybe individual mistakes or poor games.
Smith was only getting my goat because he was the definition of a journeyman plodder but we paid him marquee $$$ to come here. Managers smelled blood in the water. I did like that game when coach fired him up once and he ran around like a madman smashing everyone late or not didn't matter for 20 minutes then got put on report. Easts game?

Thompson and Buttriss were... again... just plodders. I'm not sure how Buttriss carried on so long. I guess there was always someone else worse in the team. He'd convinced some of my mates he was a "solid" NRL hooker and it was all our halves fault. Then Hodgo blew the scales off their eyes.

Did Hors snub you at a meet n greet? He's quite sloppy in discipline but he at least shows glimpses of a powerful forward- good tackling technique and makes yards after contact often. Just that he's ill disciplined on field and a bit of a partier off it.
Just to go a little further on that... I never had a problem with Glenn Buttriss as a person, seemed like a good bloke, and it was never anything personal. HOWEVER, dummy half became the most important position on the field a good twenty years ago, and while you're running around with a dummy half who was best described by his supporters as "average on his day", then you're going to have a bad time. And we did.
Mate you've got an outlier there at the end of your Glen. It's **** Glen Buttriss. That man wishes he had the fortitude for 2 ns.

Neeeegz
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1148
Joined: July 5, 2008, 6:35 pm
Favourite Player: Cotric
Location: Western NSW

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Neeeegz » July 17, 2019, 1:45 pm

PigRickman wrote:
Neeeegz wrote:
July 16, 2019, 8:15 pm
And the fact that tpj just extended at the Broncos doesn't make this a moot point ? Arrow is maybe available, but with our squad, who loses their position ? And if it's a Luke Bateman upgrade, we need to have salary cap space...
Yep, it absolutely does.
We're just shooting the **** now as RL fans now, and i always enjoy the discussions that come from TPJ v Arrow type scenarios. They're totally different styles of player and i think how you value each tells you a lot of about what you value in a RL player.

i think our major recruitment has been and gone with Georgey boy. So this thread will be pretty dead, save for this sort of thing. Which will upset the "stick the topic" crowd, but honestly, **** them.
Haha, Roger that.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk


julian87
Laurie Daley
Posts: 11400
Joined: October 20, 2005, 3:35 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by julian87 » July 17, 2019, 1:48 pm

A club with a roster as strong as ours has no chance of signing Arrow. He’ll command big dollars and we don’t have that as we’re banking on what we’ve got to win a premiership in ‘19 or ‘20.

Even not re-signing Rapana wouldn’t give us a sniff imo. There are too many clubs out there who’ll pay stupid money for in vogue players atm. The best opportunities for Canberra to snare a decent player for ‘20 will be those ousted due to cap restraints imo. Otherwise it will be fringe players and reserve graders filling gaps.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.

User avatar
simo
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8478
Joined: March 12, 2013, 7:50 pm
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by simo » July 17, 2019, 1:54 pm

Neeeegz wrote:
July 17, 2019, 1:45 pm
PigRickman wrote:
Neeeegz wrote:
July 16, 2019, 8:15 pm
And the fact that tpj just extended at the Broncos doesn't make this a moot point ? Arrow is maybe available, but with our squad, who loses their position ? And if it's a Luke Bateman upgrade, we need to have salary cap space...
Yep, it absolutely does.
We're just shooting the **** now as RL fans now, and i always enjoy the discussions that come from TPJ v Arrow type scenarios. They're totally different styles of player and i think how you value each tells you a lot of about what you value in a RL player.

i think our major recruitment has been and gone with Georgey boy. So this thread will be pretty dead, save for this sort of thing. Which will upset the "stick the topic" crowd, but honestly, **** them.
Haha, Roger that.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Soliola retire and not re sign rapana? Papa 8 arrow 10 profit 2020?
Dont delete this GE

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43050
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by The Rickman » July 17, 2019, 2:03 pm

julian87 wrote:
July 17, 2019, 1:48 pm
A club with a roster as strong as ours has no chance of signing Arrow. He’ll command big dollars and we don’t have that as we’re banking on what we’ve got to win a premiership in ‘19 or ‘20.

Even not re-signing Rapana wouldn’t give us a sniff imo. There are too many clubs out there who’ll pay stupid money for in vogue players atm. The best opportunities for Canberra to snare a decent player for ‘20 will be those ousted due to cap restraints imo. Otherwise it will be fringe players and reserve graders filling gaps.
Agreed. Successful clubs need to keep turning their roster over as success drives the price of the players up. Despite popular belief, this is a process both the Roosters and the Storm employ very well.

Rather than just having a brief "premiership window" where you have everyone firing at once and then the window closes as you lose half your squad, you continually keep the window open by rotating young and fresh players in and players that start to get a bit expensive out, while trying to maintain the core, discipline and structures that got you success in the first place.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
GreenMachine
Gary Coyne
Posts: 114
Joined: April 13, 2005, 2:22 pm
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by GreenMachine » July 17, 2019, 2:08 pm

The Rickman wrote:
July 17, 2019, 2:03 pm
julian87 wrote:
July 17, 2019, 1:48 pm
A club with a roster as strong as ours has no chance of signing Arrow. He’ll command big dollars and we don’t have that as we’re banking on what we’ve got to win a premiership in ‘19 or ‘20.

Even not re-signing Rapana wouldn’t give us a sniff imo. There are too many clubs out there who’ll pay stupid money for in vogue players atm. The best opportunities for Canberra to snare a decent player for ‘20 will be those ousted due to cap restraints imo. Otherwise it will be fringe players and reserve graders filling gaps.
Agreed. Successful clubs need to keep turning their roster over as success drives the price of the players up. Despite popular belief, this is a process both the Roosters and the Storm employ very well.

Rather than just having a brief "premiership window" where you have everyone firing at once and then the window closes as you lose half your squad, you continually keep the window open by rotating young and fresh players in and players that start to get a bit expensive out, while trying to maintain the core, discipline and structures that got you success in the first place.
100% right.
If there is an opportunity, we would be nuts not to show interest.
The reported figure is $800K per season. Steep, but I think he is worth it.
He's a high energy mobile middle forward - the exact kind of prop we should be going after.
You would think playing alongside Papalii and for a team that is gunning for a premiership in the next 2 years would appeal to his ambition.
If on the other hand he is more motivated by money, then clearly there will be other options.

julian87
Laurie Daley
Posts: 11400
Joined: October 20, 2005, 3:35 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by julian87 » July 17, 2019, 2:59 pm

I wouldn’t sign Arrow on 800k a season. I’m happy with Horsburgh, Tapine and Sutton juggling that sort of role cap wise.

I think the side would be better improved maintaining a similar pack and hopefully licking out on a cheaper power forward who plays less minutes but provides greater impact whilst retaining those I mentioned short term.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43050
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by The Rickman » July 17, 2019, 3:05 pm

julian87 wrote:
July 17, 2019, 2:59 pm
I wouldn’t sign Arrow on 800k a season. I’m happy with Horsburgh, Tapine and Sutton juggling that sort of role cap wise.

I think the side would be better improved maintaining a similar pack and hopefully licking out on a cheaper power forward who plays less minutes but provides greater impact whilst retaining those I mentioned short term.
You're doing WHAT to a cheaper power forward??

Novel approach, but it might just work!!
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 22635
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Northern Raider » July 17, 2019, 3:50 pm

The Rickman wrote:
July 17, 2019, 3:05 pm
julian87 wrote:
July 17, 2019, 2:59 pm
I wouldn’t sign Arrow on 800k a season. I’m happy with Horsburgh, Tapine and Sutton juggling that sort of role cap wise.

I think the side would be better improved maintaining a similar pack and hopefully licking out on a cheaper power forward who plays less minutes but provides greater impact whilst retaining those I mentioned short term.
You're doing WHAT to a cheaper power forward??

Novel approach, but it might just work!!
Julian thinking outside the box
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
Dusty
Jason Croker
Posts: 4625
Joined: December 21, 2009, 12:25 pm
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Dusty » July 17, 2019, 4:55 pm

I don’t think we should break the bank for Arrow... I think Sutton can in future do a similar job for a lot less


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2019: 1. Wighton 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Oldfield (Rapana) 6. Williams 7. Sezer 8. Sutton 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Papalii 11. Tapine 12. Whitehead 13. J.Bateman ----
14. Havili 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Lui

julian87
Laurie Daley
Posts: 11400
Joined: October 20, 2005, 3:35 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by julian87 » July 17, 2019, 5:24 pm

Northern Raider wrote:
July 17, 2019, 3:50 pm
The Rickman wrote:
July 17, 2019, 3:05 pm
julian87 wrote:
July 17, 2019, 2:59 pm
I wouldn’t sign Arrow on 800k a season. I’m happy with Horsburgh, Tapine and Sutton juggling that sort of role cap wise.

I think the side would be better improved maintaining a similar pack and hopefully licking out on a cheaper power forward who plays less minutes but provides greater impact whilst retaining those I mentioned short term.
You're doing WHAT to a cheaper power forward??

Novel approach, but it might just work!!
Julian thinking outside the box
Having just spotted the typo maybe in and outside the box.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.

User avatar
Raiders_Pat
David Grant
Posts: 700
Joined: July 24, 2016, 8:11 am
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Raiders_Pat » July 17, 2019, 5:57 pm

Getting Boyd back here for $250-300k wouldn't be a bad move at all if he was cool with it... could provide good impact off the bench for us provided we restrict him to about 30 mins.

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43050
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by The Rickman » July 17, 2019, 5:59 pm

Raiders_Pat wrote:
July 17, 2019, 5:57 pm
Getting Boyd back here for $250-300k wouldn't be a bad move at all if he was cool with it... could provide good impact off the bench for us provided we restrict him to about 30 mins.
I'd play Boyd off the bench instead of Horsburgh, that's for sure.... for that pricetag anyway.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

Fuifui Bradbrad
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5768
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Denan Kemp
Location: Penrith, Sydney, NSW, Australia

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad » July 17, 2019, 6:06 pm

Couple of familiar names in this Jnr England side.

Image
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13172
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by bonehead » July 17, 2019, 7:31 pm

wow, just missing a Bateman
Edrick The Entertainer

RedRaider
Steve Walters
Posts: 7354
Joined: March 3, 2007, 7:02 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by RedRaider » July 17, 2019, 7:36 pm

The Rickman wrote:
July 17, 2019, 7:45 am
BadnMean wrote:Imagine paying Bryce Cartwright and Tyrone Peachey 600k each...

Reminds me of Matt Elliot throwing huge dollars at spuds like Tyran Smith...
Ugh, Tyran Smith was one of the handful of players in my time I didn’t like seeing in green:

- Tyran Smith
- Troy Thompson (I realise the forum loves him because he wrote “funny” stories)
- Glenn Buttriss
- Blake Austin (circa 2018)
- Corey Horsburgh

Can’t think of too many others in my thirty odd years. I’d include Matt Orford, but by the time I realised I didn’t like him, he was gone. Outside of those guys you really won’t see me bagging our players, except for maybe individual mistakes or poor games.
You pick out a rookie in his first year of FG? He is so bad he has just been extended by the Raiders. LOL You can't win the bagging game all the time I guess.

What about seasoned player who turned up his toes after a pay rise like Bronson Harrison.

Neeeegz
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1148
Joined: July 5, 2008, 6:35 pm
Favourite Player: Cotric
Location: Western NSW

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Neeeegz » July 17, 2019, 7:55 pm

Maybe for the players probably on the way out, George in, which I would think should be a backended contract, we may not have much room in the cap after some guys are upgraded, we can't lose cnk, Simmonson, and Oldfield is a valuable member of the squad, I hope they keep him

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk


Neeeegz
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1148
Joined: July 5, 2008, 6:35 pm
Favourite Player: Cotric
Location: Western NSW

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Neeeegz » July 17, 2019, 7:56 pm

The Rickman wrote:
julian87 wrote:
July 17, 2019, 2:59 pm
I wouldn’t sign Arrow on 800k a season. I’m happy with Horsburgh, Tapine and Sutton juggling that sort of role cap wise.

I think the side would be better improved maintaining a similar pack and hopefully licking out on a cheaper power forward who plays less minutes but provides greater impact whilst retaining those I mentioned short term.
You're doing WHAT to a cheaper power forward??

Novel approach, but it might just work!!
Taking one for the team to a new level, bravo bravo 🤣🤣

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk


sprintman
Alan Tongue
Posts: 618
Joined: July 11, 2015, 5:57 pm
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley
Location: Canberra

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by sprintman » July 17, 2019, 7:59 pm

Josh Reynolds told no longer required

User avatar
Coastalraider
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1829
Joined: May 31, 2015, 7:25 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Coastalraider » July 17, 2019, 8:06 pm

sprintman wrote:
July 17, 2019, 7:59 pm
Josh Reynolds told no longer required
He hasn’t been required since he left the dogs.

User avatar
kiwi raider
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6943
Joined: March 31, 2008, 7:59 pm
Location: Christchurch, NZ

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by kiwi raider » July 17, 2019, 8:33 pm

RedRaider wrote:
July 17, 2019, 7:36 pm
The Rickman wrote:
July 17, 2019, 7:45 am
BadnMean wrote:Imagine paying Bryce Cartwright and Tyrone Peachey 600k each...

Reminds me of Matt Elliot throwing huge dollars at spuds like Tyran Smith...
Ugh, Tyran Smith was one of the handful of players in my time I didn’t like seeing in green:

- Tyran Smith
- Troy Thompson (I realise the forum loves him because he wrote “funny” stories)
- Glenn Buttriss
- Blake Austin (circa 2018)
- Corey Horsburgh

Can’t think of too many others in my thirty odd years. I’d include Matt Orford, but by the time I realised I didn’t like him, he was gone. Outside of those guys you really won’t see me bagging our players, except for maybe individual mistakes or poor games.
You pick out a rookie in his first year of FG? He is so bad he has just been extended by the Raiders. LOL You can't win the bagging game all the time I guess.

What about seasoned player who turned up his toes after a pay rise like Bronson Harrison.
Yea terribly harsh to put a young 20 year old with less than a dozen games on your "players I didn't like seeing in green" list, hes got some rough edges but get off his back, he could be a completely different player in 12-18months

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 31927
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Matt » July 17, 2019, 9:11 pm

bonehead wrote:
July 17, 2019, 7:31 pm
wow, just missing a Bateman
Check the women's team

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 31927
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Matt » July 17, 2019, 9:13 pm

sprintman wrote:
July 17, 2019, 7:59 pm
Josh Reynolds told no longer required
No room at this Inn

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43050
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by The Rickman » July 17, 2019, 9:48 pm

kiwi raider wrote:
RedRaider wrote:
July 17, 2019, 7:36 pm
The Rickman wrote:
July 17, 2019, 7:45 am
BadnMean wrote:Imagine paying Bryce Cartwright and Tyrone Peachey 600k each...

Reminds me of Matt Elliot throwing huge dollars at spuds like Tyran Smith...
Ugh, Tyran Smith was one of the handful of players in my time I didn’t like seeing in green:

- Tyran Smith
- Troy Thompson (I realise the forum loves him because he wrote “funny” stories)
- Glenn Buttriss
- Blake Austin (circa 2018)
- Corey Horsburgh

Can’t think of too many others in my thirty odd years. I’d include Matt Orford, but by the time I realised I didn’t like him, he was gone. Outside of those guys you really won’t see me bagging our players, except for maybe individual mistakes or poor games.
You pick out a rookie in his first year of FG? He is so bad he has just been extended by the Raiders. LOL You can't win the bagging game all the time I guess.

What about seasoned player who turned up his toes after a pay rise like Bronson Harrison.
Yea terribly harsh to put a young 20 year old with less than a dozen games on your "players I didn't like seeing in green" list, hes got some rough edges but get off his back, he could be a completely different player in 12-18months
Yeah, and if that happens I’ll freely admit I was wrong! I’m not deathriding the guy, I want him to succeed, just right now every time he gets near the ball I get concerned

And I’m absolutely 100% looking forward to being proven wrong on this one. There’s nothing malicious here
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
kiwi raider
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6943
Joined: March 31, 2008, 7:59 pm
Location: Christchurch, NZ

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by kiwi raider » July 18, 2019, 7:28 am

The Rickman wrote:
July 17, 2019, 9:48 pm
kiwi raider wrote:
RedRaider wrote:
July 17, 2019, 7:36 pm
The Rickman wrote:
July 17, 2019, 7:45 am
BadnMean wrote:Imagine paying Bryce Cartwright and Tyrone Peachey 600k each...

Reminds me of Matt Elliot throwing huge dollars at spuds like Tyran Smith...
Ugh, Tyran Smith was one of the handful of players in my time I didn’t like seeing in green:

- Tyran Smith
- Troy Thompson (I realise the forum loves him because he wrote “funny” stories)
- Glenn Buttriss
- Blake Austin (circa 2018)
- Corey Horsburgh

Can’t think of too many others in my thirty odd years. I’d include Matt Orford, but by the time I realised I didn’t like him, he was gone. Outside of those guys you really won’t see me bagging our players, except for maybe individual mistakes or poor games.
You pick out a rookie in his first year of FG? He is so bad he has just been extended by the Raiders. LOL You can't win the bagging game all the time I guess.

What about seasoned player who turned up his toes after a pay rise like Bronson Harrison.
Yea terribly harsh to put a young 20 year old with less than a dozen games on your "players I didn't like seeing in green" list, hes got some rough edges but get off his back, he could be a completely different player in 12-18months
Yeah, and if that happens I’ll freely admit I was wrong! I’m not deathriding the guy, I want him to succeed, just right now every time he gets near the ball I get concerned

And I’m absolutely 100% looking forward to being proven wrong on this one. There’s nothing malicious here
mate you've stuck in a 5 man list covering close to 20 years of Players you didn't like seeing in green, Again give him a year or two before sticking a 20 year old with 10 games alongside some of the worst performers in Raiders History, he's going to still make the odd mistake in weeks to come but all players his age do

User avatar
BadnMean
John Ferguson
Posts: 2672
Joined: May 13, 2013, 5:30 pm
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by BadnMean » July 18, 2019, 8:42 am

Is this a shouting down?

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43050
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by The Rickman » July 18, 2019, 8:45 am

BadnMean wrote:Is this a shouting down?
I feel like I’m being shouted down here, RicknStick!

George is getting anxious!
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21650
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Seiffert82 » July 18, 2019, 6:37 pm

julian87 wrote:
July 17, 2019, 2:59 pm
I wouldn’t sign Arrow on 800k a season. I’m happy with Horsburgh, Tapine and Sutton juggling that sort of role cap wise.

I think the side would be better improved maintaining a similar pack and hopefully licking out on a cheaper power forward who plays less minutes but provides greater impact whilst retaining those I mentioned short term.
No. $800k is too much for a front rower like Arrow. Leave those sort of deals to the Titans.

User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13172
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by bonehead » July 18, 2019, 8:51 pm

I could have josh Reynolds in my squad, gun #14 great fighting never say die player and our genius medical team would get him right too
Edrick The Entertainer

gergreg
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6945
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by gergreg » July 18, 2019, 8:56 pm

bonehead wrote:I could have josh Reynolds in my squad, gun #14 great fighting never say die player and our genius medical team would get him right too
I don't think our medical team can perform miracles. He's busted.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017

User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21650
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Seiffert82 » July 18, 2019, 10:25 pm

gergreg wrote:
July 18, 2019, 8:56 pm
bonehead wrote:I could have josh Reynolds in my squad, gun #14 great fighting never say die player and our genius medical team would get him right too
I don't think our medical team can perform miracles. He's busted.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
So was David Taylor. It took them half a season or more, but he ultimately played some of the best footy of his career.

Then there was Matt Orford...

Cranky Old Man
Chris O'Sullivan
Posts: 909
Joined: February 12, 2013, 11:11 pm
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Cranky Old Man » July 18, 2019, 11:34 pm

bonehead wrote:
July 18, 2019, 8:51 pm
I could have josh Reynolds in my squad, gun #14 great fighting never say die player and our genius medical team would get him right too
I believe he was best mates with Blake Austin. I also believe he should go to England and renew the relationship.

FROG
Dean Lance
Posts: 855
Joined: April 7, 2008, 8:14 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by FROG » July 19, 2019, 5:50 am

Id love to pick up Reynolds also. There is talk that the tigers would be prepared to carry most of his contract, ie a team could pick him up for less than 400k per annum which is madness. He is twice the player s williams and sezer would ever be. Id love to get him to challenge g williams for a starting spot. At worst he provides impact off the bench at a bargain price. I think he'd also be great for our club culture. Wonder if ennis will get in his ear and try get him across

gergreg
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6945
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by gergreg » July 19, 2019, 7:47 am

He has played about 10 games in the last year and a half, while on about 800k per year. Do we really want that, even with Tigers paying half?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017

Post Reply