Raiders player signing speculation 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

julian87
Laurie Daley
Posts: 11485
Joined: October 20, 2005, 3:35 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by julian87 » May 21, 2019, 9:13 pm

simo wrote:
May 21, 2019, 7:13 pm
julian87 wrote:
May 21, 2019, 6:18 pm
Signing Welch would be a catastrophe.

It’s be another White/Blair/Proctor/Hoffman
Im not saying sign him to a stupid big deal. I think hes a very good al round middle. Plays at a high gear. Reminds me a but of brenton lawrence
Do you think you’d have a sniff of signing him to Canberra on anything but a big deal having played in a gf for Melbourne last year?
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.

User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 30413
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by -TW- » May 21, 2019, 10:17 pm

julian87 wrote:That’s not even touching on the fact he just did his knee.
Wasn't an ACL like first thought

Torn meniscus from memory

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk


julian87
Laurie Daley
Posts: 11485
Joined: October 20, 2005, 3:35 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by julian87 » May 21, 2019, 10:30 pm

Good news for him.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 32169
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Matt » May 22, 2019, 8:48 am

-TW- wrote:
May 21, 2019, 10:17 pm
julian87 wrote:That’s not even touching on the fact he just did his knee.
Wasn't an ACL like first thought

Torn meniscus from memory

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
yep, 4-6wks, NOT 6-9months

User avatar
zim
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6845
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by zim » May 22, 2019, 2:08 pm

simo wrote:
May 21, 2019, 12:03 pm
Id really like us to sign Christian Welch
I would have snapped him up pre-knee. Punching out 200m against the roosters of all clubs is nothing to sneeze at. He's also a fantastic guy off the field too. Definitely a cheaper option than TPJ.
Post knee... maybe knocks a little off the contract.... well Lui has played the best footy of his career after his knee so maybe it doesn't matter :? .

Edit:
As others have pointed out not an ACL so ignore the knee comment.

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43650
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by The Rickman » May 22, 2019, 2:19 pm

Rickmando wrote:
May 21, 2019, 7:04 pm
PigRickman wrote:
May 21, 2019, 3:42 pm
With great respect Rickmando... i dont think anyone comparing TPJ with Paulo and Boyd is making an accurate comp.
And with respect coming back, the comp is not so much to the individuals but rather the style, and what standards the 2019 raiders are holding themselves to.

This smaller, more aggressive pack are demonstrating more accountability than previous units. We are all enjoying the fruits of their competitiveness - the wins and the closer-to-80-minute performances... it’s off the platform set by the pack, them all working for each other.

TPJ - well he’s the antithesis of what we are doing. Yes he puts his hand up for metres, but without the ball he doesn’t have the discipline or the willingness to make his tackles.

I’ve put this challenge out there before. Watch him play for the broncos. But actually really watch him, watch his play (especially without the ball) - don’t just look at the stat sheet. You’ll see flops, half hearted arm tackles, cheap shots, and shortcuts galore. We don’t need that.
Good to see the Rickheads having nice respectful conversations back and forth here.

Would be nice to see this sort of discourse from the rest of you cowards.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
BadnMean
John Ferguson
Posts: 2773
Joined: May 13, 2013, 5:30 pm
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by BadnMean » May 22, 2019, 4:29 pm

The Rickman wrote:
May 22, 2019, 2:19 pm

Good to see the Rickheads having nice Rickspectful conversations back and forth here.

Would be nice to see this sort of discourse from the rest of you cowards.
Fixed

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43650
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by The Rickman » May 22, 2019, 4:38 pm

BadnMean wrote:
May 22, 2019, 4:29 pm
The Rickman wrote:
May 22, 2019, 2:19 pm

Good to see the Rickheads having nice Rickspectful conversations back and forth here.

Would be nice to see this sort of discourse from the rest of you cowards.
Fixed
Jeez, I really dropped the ball there, didn't I, RicknStick?
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

Fuifui Bradbrad
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5805
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Denan Kemp
Location: Penrith, Sydney, NSW, Australia

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad » May 22, 2019, 5:10 pm

DWZ has requested a release from Panthers


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

User avatar
BadnMean
John Ferguson
Posts: 2773
Joined: May 13, 2013, 5:30 pm
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by BadnMean » May 22, 2019, 5:13 pm

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
May 22, 2019, 5:10 pm
DWZ has requested a release from Panthers


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Souffs new centre?

julian87
Laurie Daley
Posts: 11485
Joined: October 20, 2005, 3:35 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by julian87 » May 22, 2019, 6:36 pm

No part of his game is suited to centre at all imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.

User avatar
BadnMean
John Ferguson
Posts: 2773
Joined: May 13, 2013, 5:30 pm
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by BadnMean » May 22, 2019, 6:40 pm

Just trying to figure out who has $$$ and Souths have some to splash.

Where do you think he'll go?

User avatar
simo
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8536
Joined: March 12, 2013, 7:50 pm
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by simo » May 22, 2019, 6:43 pm

Cows probably have room for him at fb
Dont delete this GE

FROG
Dean Lance
Posts: 873
Joined: April 7, 2008, 8:14 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by FROG » May 22, 2019, 6:55 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see D boyd to soufs and dwz to broncos

User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13231
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by bonehead » May 22, 2019, 7:18 pm

wasn't he going to parra?
Edrick The Entertainer

User avatar
BadnMean
John Ferguson
Posts: 2773
Joined: May 13, 2013, 5:30 pm
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by BadnMean » May 22, 2019, 7:23 pm

FROG wrote:
May 22, 2019, 6:55 pm
I wouldn't be surprised to see D boyd to soufs and dwz to broncos
I think Richardson has some sway over who Souths get in and surely not even Bennett could convince Souths that Darius is worth anything these days- he literally gave up on contact v the Raiders. It was shocking.

Nadruku
Peter Jackson
Posts: 290
Joined: April 1, 2015, 11:49 am
Favourite Player: Nadruku

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Nadruku » May 22, 2019, 7:47 pm

We should go after Luke Thompson from St Helens rather than TPJ


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Rickmando
Alan Tongue
Posts: 674
Joined: May 22, 2017, 3:41 pm
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Rickmando » May 22, 2019, 8:34 pm

The Rickman wrote:
May 22, 2019, 2:19 pm
Rickmando wrote:
May 21, 2019, 7:04 pm
PigRickman wrote:
May 21, 2019, 3:42 pm
With great respect Rickmando... i dont think anyone comparing TPJ with Paulo and Boyd is making an accurate comp.
And with respect coming back, the comp is not so much to the individuals but rather the style, and what standards the 2019 raiders are holding themselves to.

This smaller, more aggressive pack are demonstrating more accountability than previous units. We are all enjoying the fruits of their competitiveness - the wins and the closer-to-80-minute performances... it’s off the platform set by the pack, them all working for each other.

TPJ - well he’s the antithesis of what we are doing. Yes he puts his hand up for metres, but without the ball he doesn’t have the discipline or the willingness to make his tackles.

I’ve put this challenge out there before. Watch him play for the broncos. But actually really watch him, watch his play (especially without the ball) - don’t just look at the stat sheet. You’ll see flops, half hearted arm tackles, cheap shots, and shortcuts galore. We don’t need that.
Good to see the Rickheads having nice respectful conversations back and forth here.

Would be nice to see this sort of discourse from the rest of you cowards.
Forgiving Rick for his sins of the past, and embracing the Great Man as our leader has given me a new sense of inner calm and peace. I don’t want to argue with anyone, least of all a massive Rickhead like Pigman

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 23083
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Northern Raider » May 23, 2019, 10:28 am

simo wrote:
May 22, 2019, 6:43 pm
Cows probably have room for him at fb
Cowboys is the logical spot. Had money reserved for Val Holmes and they wouldn't need to fork out that much for DWZ. He could address their immediate need at fullback and they also get to find out if he's a long term solution there. If not they can still shift him to the wing if Holmes comes back to the NRL in 2020 or 2021.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25634
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by PigRickman » May 23, 2019, 1:03 pm

Rickmando wrote:
May 22, 2019, 8:34 pm
The Rickman wrote:
May 22, 2019, 2:19 pm
Rickmando wrote:
May 21, 2019, 7:04 pm
PigRickman wrote:
May 21, 2019, 3:42 pm
With great respect Rickmando... i dont think anyone comparing TPJ with Paulo and Boyd is making an accurate comp.
And with respect coming back, the comp is not so much to the individuals but rather the style, and what standards the 2019 raiders are holding themselves to.

This smaller, more aggressive pack are demonstrating more accountability than previous units. We are all enjoying the fruits of their competitiveness - the wins and the closer-to-80-minute performances... it’s off the platform set by the pack, them all working for each other.

TPJ - well he’s the antithesis of what we are doing. Yes he puts his hand up for metres, but without the ball he doesn’t have the discipline or the willingness to make his tackles.

I’ve put this challenge out there before. Watch him play for the broncos. But actually really watch him, watch his play (especially without the ball) - don’t just look at the stat sheet. You’ll see flops, half hearted arm tackles, cheap shots, and shortcuts galore. We don’t need that.
Good to see the Rickheads having nice respectful conversations back and forth here.

Would be nice to see this sort of discourse from the rest of you cowards.
Forgiving Rick for his sins of the past, and embracing the Great Man as our leader has given me a new sense of inner calm and peace. I don’t want to argue with anyone, least of all a massive Rickhead like Pigman
Agreed. We're the best of them, and setting the standard of civil discourse.
The GH would do well to take out lead, embrace the rick and have nice, open dialogue.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers and Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Matt wrote:
June 25, 2019, 9:29 pm
Reed Mahoney 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

LastRaider
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1471
Joined: March 31, 2018, 9:30 pm

Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by LastRaider » May 24, 2019, 3:56 pm

Just read on news.com.au that the panthers are shopping around players, in specific Maloney.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/fire- ... 4775bec0f1

We should go after him for our number 7. Defence isn’t the best but a good game organizer. I’m keen as he would be able to help bring Wighton along as well.

I’m thinking a 2 year deal to allow us time to recruit or develop a junior in this time for when his contract finishes.

(I would quite happily swap Sezer as well)


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 126901
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by greeneyed » May 24, 2019, 4:16 pm

Not the way he's playing. I think the Raiders have a new half already lined up.
Image

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 18892
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by edwahu » May 24, 2019, 4:20 pm

Fisher-Harris and Cleary are about the only two I'd have much interest in as regular first graders.

User avatar
BadnMean
John Ferguson
Posts: 2773
Joined: May 13, 2013, 5:30 pm
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by BadnMean » May 24, 2019, 7:25 pm

greeneyed wrote:
May 24, 2019, 4:16 pm
Not the way he's playing. I think the Raiders have a new half already lined up.
Maloney has a lot of runs on the board- you think he's suddenly busted?

I'd take a guy with a couple of premierships for a year or 2

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 126901
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by greeneyed » May 24, 2019, 7:27 pm

Yep, I think he's busted.
Image

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25634
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by PigRickman » May 24, 2019, 7:28 pm

Id be willing to take a lot of their dudes on discount if i were running a bum team like say the Dogs or Titans or Cowboys... i think that team has a **** ton of talent and i think their issues are off the footy paddock.

I dont think they'd have much to offer us save for Maloney who would be an interesting gamble, and Cleary who they'll never ship off because otherwise why is Ivan there?
Last edited by PigRickman on May 24, 2019, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers and Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Matt wrote:
June 25, 2019, 9:29 pm
Reed Mahoney 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

User avatar
BadnMean
John Ferguson
Posts: 2773
Joined: May 13, 2013, 5:30 pm
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by BadnMean » May 24, 2019, 7:29 pm

Nadruku wrote:
May 22, 2019, 7:47 pm
We should go after Luke Thompson from St Helens rather than TPJ


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think he's a very, very good middle. Dynamic/impact type of player. Plays hard and can deliver quality from wha I've seen in Test matches. Probably get him for 400k? He'd cost more than Sutton as an international but he's a good player.

User avatar
BadnMean
John Ferguson
Posts: 2773
Joined: May 13, 2013, 5:30 pm
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by BadnMean » May 24, 2019, 7:31 pm

greeneyed wrote:
May 24, 2019, 7:27 pm
Yep, I think he's busted.
Hmm just had a look- he's a few years older than I thought. Yeah, pass. SL for him I think.

Fuifui Bradbrad
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5805
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Denan Kemp
Location: Penrith, Sydney, NSW, Australia

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad » May 25, 2019, 12:37 am

BadnMean wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
May 24, 2019, 4:16 pm
Not the way he's playing. I think the Raiders have a new half already lined up.
Maloney has a lot of runs on the board- you think he's suddenly busted?

I'd take a guy with a couple of premierships for a year or 2
Why not, that approach worked with Orford..
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

LastRaider
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1471
Joined: March 31, 2018, 9:30 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by LastRaider » May 25, 2019, 7:52 am

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
BadnMean wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
May 24, 2019, 4:16 pm
Not the way he's playing. I think the Raiders have a new half already lined up.
Maloney has a lot of runs on the board- you think he's suddenly busted?

I'd take a guy with a couple of premierships for a year or 2
Why not, that approach worked with Orford..
He was the 5/8 for NSW SOO last year. Your all crazy if you think he is busted. He would be a mega improvement on what we currently have.

You can already see in the close games we don’t have a clutch player. Maloney has the composure to win those games for us


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse

gergreg
Steve Walters
Posts: 7142
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by gergreg » May 25, 2019, 8:22 am

Gallen was commenting on Maloney the other week on 100% footy and it was interesting. He said that Maloney hates doing weights and isn't the type of guy who kills it at training but you just know he shows up with 100% on gameday. So I can see why he generally only lasts for short stints at clubs.
All that aside if we have signed Williams from the UK there is no point signing Maloney.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017

Neeeegz
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1236
Joined: July 5, 2008, 6:35 pm
Favourite Player: Cotric
Location: Western NSW

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Neeeegz » May 25, 2019, 9:52 am

LastRaider wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
BadnMean wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
May 24, 2019, 4:16 pm
Not the way he's playing. I think the Raiders have a new half already lined up.
Maloney has a lot of runs on the board- you think he's suddenly busted?

I'd take a guy with a couple of premierships for a year or 2
Why not, that approach worked with Orford..
He was the 5/8 for NSW SOO last year. Your all crazy if you think he is busted. He would be a mega improvement on what we currently have.

You can already see in the close games we don’t have a clutch player. Maloney has the composure to win those games for us


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Fact is, Maloney is a 5/8 And I'd prefer Jack over him any day of the week on current form. Next.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk


LastRaider
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1471
Joined: March 31, 2018, 9:30 pm

Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by LastRaider » May 25, 2019, 10:00 am

Neeeegz wrote:
LastRaider wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
BadnMean wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
May 24, 2019, 4:16 pm
Not the way he's playing. I think the Raiders have a new half already lined up.
Maloney has a lot of runs on the board- you think he's suddenly busted?

I'd take a guy with a couple of premierships for a year or 2
Why not, that approach worked with Orford..
He was the 5/8 for NSW SOO last year. Your all crazy if you think he is busted. He would be a mega improvement on what we currently have.

You can already see in the close games we don’t have a clutch player. Maloney has the composure to win those games for us


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Fact is, Maloney is a 5/8 And I'd prefer Jack over him any day of the week on current form. Next.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
You would play him at 7. He is an organizer along side Jack at 5/8


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse

User avatar
BadnMean
John Ferguson
Posts: 2773
Joined: May 13, 2013, 5:30 pm
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by BadnMean » May 25, 2019, 12:46 pm

Maloney is a pretty complete half- he's not an either/or.

Fact he hates training suggests he may be in decline? Or who knows, maybe he'll be a Jason Smith and go ok forever.

But yeah bringing in a reluctant trainer when we just have a good culture going may not be a good idea.

RedRaider
Steve Walters
Posts: 7482
Joined: March 3, 2007, 7:02 pm

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by RedRaider » May 25, 2019, 1:45 pm

I was again impressed by the bloke who replaced Maloney in their last match. The defence of Luai (spelling) was sensational in cover. Very quick too.

Post Reply