Raiders player signing speculation 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Rickmando »

Followed Dylan Edwards’ career since juniors - he is a GUN. Classic old school fullback in the Belcher mould, really smart footy player and could easily end up a seasoned rep player (although a fair queue of FB talent in front of him, granted).

I’d be highly surprised if the Panfers would let him go as they’ve put plenty into him since bringing him down as a teenager from the mid north coast... but if there’s any inkling he’s available he’s exactly the type of player we should target as a club in a small market - doesn’t yet have the wraps, but has major upside
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

mamando wrote: January 2, 2019, 7:09 pm Followed Dylan Edwards’ career since juniors - he is a GUN. Classic old school fullback in the Belcher mould, really smart footy player and could easily end up a seasoned rep player (although a fair queue of FB talent in front of him, granted).

I’d be highly surprised if the Panfers would let him go as they’ve put plenty into him since bringing him down as a teenager from the mid north coast... but if there’s any inkling he’s available he’s exactly the type of player we should target as a club in a small market - doesn’t yet have the wraps, but has major upside
They have a cue of players trying to play FB at Panthers.
DWZ
Edwards
Aekin
Even that Luani kid - half with frizzy hair

Id be happy with any of that list, but Edwards and/ or Aekin would be good. I dont think Penny part with either of the other 2
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

mamando wrote: January 2, 2019, 7:09 pm Followed Dylan Edwards’ career since juniors - he is a GUN. Classic old school fullback in the Belcher mould, really smart footy player and could easily end up a seasoned rep player (although a fair queue of FB talent in front of him, granted).

Yeah count me in on this. Edwards is the absolute sort of dude i'd take a punt on.
I wouldnt be shocked to see the Panthers let him go, they've got a production line the envy of the league, they'll have another one behind him who they probably feel really good about and plenty of options right now.

By Edwards and May are two panthers im not sure they can hang on to who i'd be targetting.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

For those saying that the Rapana injury subsidy can’t effect any potential deal with Edwards, it may not go directly to him, but it would definitely have an indirect effect, of only strategically.

Let’s say the cap is $10mill (I can’t remeber what the increase is for 2019, and for this purpose it’s not a critical number)

We would have to split that $10mill over a 30 man squad.

We still have roster spots that MUST be filled, some of which are minimum/minimal wage 27-30 spots.

We have lost Ravalawa in the off season.

Let’s sign another winger to replace Ravalawa, of a similar if not slightly better quality, and use the $175k to pay that player. Remember this $175k is in addition to the cap. Let’s call this player ‘player 30’.

We now have $10mill to spend on ‘29’ players.

So any deal we may or may not be putting forward for Edwards now has an additional $175k freed up in cap space.

Now we keep getting told we have spent all our money and don’t have much room in the cap to recruit. So let’s assume this is true. Let’s say we have $600k to fill our last 3 roster spots, 1 journeyman and 2 minimum/minimal wage players. By purchasing ‘player 30’ with the subsidy, we now have $600k to purchase 2 players. 1 minimum wage player for $100k, Leaving half a mill free for Edwards. Now $500k is very different to the $325 we would have left if the Rapana money wasn’t approved or used.

So while it may not go directly to Edwards it would have a direct effect on any offer being tabled. And as for winger depth, with only $175k and no future first grade spot once Rapana returns, we aren’t going to get anyone better than Oldfield or Abbey anyway, so like a Ravalawa or a Kato Ottio with the money makes sense anyway.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If we have no money to recruit It's more likely we have 300k for those last 3 spots rather than 600k.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Brenko Lee would be handy right now.

I've just noticed he's not named in the Titans strongest 17 for 2019 !!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:Brenko Lee would be handy right now.

I've just noticed he's not named in the Titans strongest 17 for 2019 !!
neither am i Peej

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

edwahu wrote: January 3, 2019, 5:12 am If we have no money to recruit It's more likely we have 300k for those last 3 spots rather than 600k.
I was more thinking we might have something close to 600k because Don keeps saying we are going to see what shakes out at other clubs. That to me seems like we would be recruiting benches, like we usually do, where I see genuine 100k players as kids promoted. We don’t have money to recruit a million dollar playmaker, but I’d imagine you would need to budget more than minimum wage for a fringe player, and the 100k players are kids like Seb Kris, who is part of the 30, but unlikely to get near first grade.
I would imagine someone like Felise would be on more than minimum.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: January 2, 2019, 9:16 pm

Yeah count me in on this. Edwards is the absolute sort of dude i'd take a punt on.
I wouldnt be shocked to see the Panthers let him go, they've got a production line the envy of the league, they'll have another one behind him who they probably feel really good about and plenty of options right now.

By Edwards and May are two panthers im not sure they can hang on to who i'd be targetting.
If not Edwards that Aekin kid, but yes, ill have what Piggys having.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Spot on. I'd rather Edwards than DWZ. Kid is a gun and would come at a cheaper price.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Hi everyone, my names Coastal.

And it’s been 3 days since I read a post on the speculation thread, leading to my unfounded optimism dropping significantly.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Coastalraider wrote: January 7, 2019, 4:02 am Hi everyone, my names Coastal.

And it’s been 3 days since I read a post on the speculation thread, leading to my unfounded optimism dropping significantly.
This thread makes you optimistic!?
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

edwahu wrote: January 7, 2019, 6:35 am
Coastalraider wrote: January 7, 2019, 4:02 am Hi everyone, my names Coastal.

This thread makes you optimistic!?
Temporarily - then the reality of our situation hits home.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

We’ve signed some young prop from Newcastle?
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Josh Thompson
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Looks like a project player. Massive Fijian lad. Only 17 so won't be playing firsts for a while.

http://www.marathonstadium.com/threads/ ... kid.16179/

Sounds like he got homesick before playing any games based on the Moles story.
Last edited by edwahu on January 8, 2019, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

I don't mind this at all... But I'd love to come on here and see something that was going to add to our 2019 squad and chances.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

edwahu wrote: January 8, 2019, 8:17 am Looks like a project player. Massive Fijian lad. Only 17 so won't be playing firsts for a while.

http://www.marathonstadium.com/threads/ ... kid.16179/

Sounds like he got homesick before playing any games based on the Moles story.
Has pedigree.
Has size.
Can we hold onto him?
Hell, will he stay long enough to play anywhere?
Not a bad move.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

Craig Norenbergs is still alluding that we are chasing a young fullback from western Sydney...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

El_Capitano wrote: January 8, 2019, 6:48 pm Craig Norenbergs is still alluding that we are chasing a young fullback from western Sydney...

Got a good source who confirmed we are going after him. No word on how close we are but apparently this isn’t just hope.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

El_Capitano
Brett Mullins

Post by El_Capitano »

Rick wrote:Image

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

How soon IS now?
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Lets hope it is Edwards. It will allow Wighton to play 6 , in turn we have depth in the halves with Sammy.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It is pretty clear from Craig's tweet he, at least, is talking about Edwards. I suspect the issue is whether the Panthers want him at No. 1 rather than Dallin Watene Zelezniak and whether they need to free up salary cap space... and whether they've come to grips with that yet.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins

Post by El_Capitano »

greeneyed wrote:It is pretty clear from Craig's tweet he, at least, is talking about Edwards. I suspect the issue is whether the Panthers want him at No. 1 rather than Dallin Watene Zelezniak and whether they need to free up salary cap space... and whether they've come to grips with that yet.
Seems like a stretch GE. Have you got any reputable media sources to quote?

How soon IS now?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Craig Norenbergs is a reputable media source. Works now for Newshub in NZ in sport. He was the head of Sky News Sports and ABC Radio Sports. I guess we'll see if it comes off.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins

Post by El_Capitano »

greeneyed wrote:Craig Norenbergs is a reputable media source. Works now for Newshub in NZ in sport. He was the head of Sky News Sports and ABC Radio Sports. I guess we'll see if it comes off.
Urgh... That was a joke GE...

How soon IS now?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Oh...
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Something has to give at Penrith, unfortunately for them they won't be able to keep every young guy coming through. Let's hope we can reap the benefits. Edwards would give me hope for 2019. I actually think our forward depth won't be as poor as some may think after Paulo and Boyd left. But we are short a quality spine player for sure.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Wiki Special wrote:Something has to give at Penrith, unfortunately for them they won't be able to keep every young guy coming through. Let's hope we can reap the benefits. Edwards would give me hope for 2019. I actually think our forward depth won't be as poor as some may think after Paulo and Boyd left. But we are short a quality spine player for sure.
I think our backline depth as a whole is a worry. At the moment the first backline backup is Abbey.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

gergreg wrote: January 8, 2019, 9:52 pm
Wiki Special wrote:Something has to give at Penrith, unfortunately for them they won't be able to keep every young guy coming through. Let's hope we can reap the benefits. Edwards would give me hope for 2019. I actually think our forward depth won't be as poor as some may think after Paulo and Boyd left. But we are short a quality spine player for sure.
I think our backline depth as a whole is a worry. At the moment the first backline backup is Abbey.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Yeah, it is not the best. However with an Edwards signing it would look OK once Rapana is back (Abbey, Oldfield and Williams in reserves).

But as you say, right now it is Abbey as next cab off the rank and not much else to follow which is not great.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Im calling it...we get Edwards we make the 8 comfortably.

(Loving these 6 pack of Coronas on the Coles voucher at $13)
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: January 8, 2019, 8:48 pm It is pretty clear from Craig's tweet he, at least, is talking about Edwards. I suspect the issue is whether the Panthers want him at No. 1 rather than Dallin Watene Zelezniak and whether they need to free up salary cap space... and whether they've come to grips with that yet.
Based on the recent internationals it'd be very hard for them not to play DWZ at fullback, and in turn for DWZ to stay at a club where he isn't the fullback. He's played the best football of his career there. Personally it's the only time I've really rated him. He's less injury prone than Edwards.

In short: just give us Edwards you spuds.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

November 5, 2018
Beejay wrote: November 5, 2018, 12:23 pm Having Wighton in the front line is going to be way better for our defence than having sam Williams.

Problem is, what do you weaken to replace Wighton, or how weak do you make fullback after taking out Wighton (eg, Brad Abbey into the team).

Finding a good fullback is easier than finding a competent half.

How about we look to Penrith. DWZ is killing it for New Zealand at fullback, but as of now will come back to club land to play wing behind Dylan Edwards. There's also Caleb Aekins who played one game last year and was really really good.
That's 3 good fullbacks at the one club. Someone's going to be disappointed.
November 5, 2018
Beejay wrote: November 5, 2018, 12:40 pm Halves are in shorter supply than fullbacks. Plus Penrith can't pay both Edwards and DWZ the money they would be worth on the open market.
If this comes off I'm definitely claiming it. /\ My November posts.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

If this comes off I would happily give you the credit. If not then it’s all your fault!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk