Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by The Nickman »

bonehead wrote:
-TW- wrote:
The Rickman wrote:Look, I deserved that... I've really pulled a massive Fergus here over nothing, haven't I?
I expected better from you

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
I didn't

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Yeah, me neither to be perfectly honest.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

How much would you fork out for Mitchell? When he was in a good mental place earlier in the year he was the games most damaging player. Not the kind of player we need to take a gamble on now but if wighton ultimately decided to leave wed be sill to not be making enquiries.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I mean if BJ goes in 2021 I'd view him as a logical upgrade even at a premium. Maybe not 1m but 800k range. I can't see it happen at all though, we never sign high profile players.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

FROG wrote: November 6, 2019, 7:28 am How much would you fork out for Mitchell? When he was in a good mental place earlier in the year he was the games most damaging player. Not the kind of player we need to take a gamble on now but if wighton ultimately decided to leave wed be sill to not be making enquiries.
If BJ is worth 600, and I think we will find out next yr he isnt, then Latrell is worth about 100K more than BJ
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

FROG wrote: November 6, 2019, 7:28 am How much would you fork out for Mitchell? When he was in a good mental place earlier in the year he was the games most damaging player. Not the kind of player we need to take a gamble on now but if wighton ultimately decided to leave wed be sill to not be making enquiries.
I dont think he'd even contemplate coming here given the options on the table for him, but also... he's going to want a million a year, and he's good and he's worth it because someone will pay it... but i dont think paying my centre 1mil a year is how i'd build my team. If you could get him for 750-800k then you do it... and that sort of offer wont get your a cup of coffee with his manager, so its a hard no from me

And simply because it's against how i think you are best suited to build a team, not anything against him as a footballer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: November 6, 2019, 8:32 am
I dont think he'd even contemplate coming here given the options on the table for him, but also... he's going to want a million a year, and he's good and he's worth it because someone will pay it... but i dont think paying my centre 1mil a year is how i'd build my team. If you could get him for 750-800k then you do it... and that sort of offer wont get your a cup of coffee with his manager, so its a hard no from me

And simply because it's against how i think you are best suited to build a team, not anything against him as a footballer
And that's also the reason why the Roosters aren't likely to pay him that much and he's probably going to jump ship to the Bulldogs.

People can crap on about the Roosters and their "salary sombrero" all they want, but at the end of the day they're very clever with how they juggle their squad and salary cap... as we're beginning to prove to be as well.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

There is not a realistic offer I'd be comfortable with. I'd be putting my cap elsewhere. Manu would have been my preferred centre. When he's on he makes everyone around him better and is far more consistent. At his best he is also a game breaker.
If Mitchell made a successful switch to 5/8 or fullback that would be a different story. Then you can throw the 1-1.2 mill at him.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: November 6, 2019, 10:30 am
There is not a realistic offer I'd be comfortable with. I'd be putting my cap elsewhere. Manu would have been my preferred centre. When he's on he makes everyone around him better and is far more consistent. At his best he is also a game breaker.
If Mitchell made a successful switch to 5/8 or fullback that would be a different story. Then you can throw the 1-1.2 mill at him.
The Chooks wanted him to be their GI styled FB. Its strange to say this, but he couldnt cut it, so they got Teddy. Like GI, I have a feeling he doesnt have the motor for FB. Too much running, therefore not enough energy to be explosive for 80mins. Which means, youll get good games, bad games and unstoppable games, and everything in between. For that coin, he has to be a spine player, or 80min stud forward AKA Lolo, Jurbo, Surgess at his prime, etc.

The latest story is that the Tigers want to do exactly that BTW, move him to FB. Take that with a grain of salt of course.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

A big no thanks to Mitchell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Rickman wrote: November 6, 2019, 9:37 am
Botman wrote: November 6, 2019, 8:32 am

And that's also the reason why the Roosters aren't likely to pay him that much and he's probably going to jump ship to the Bulldogs.

People can crap on about the Roosters and their "salary sombrero" all they want, but at the end of the day they're very clever with how they juggle their squad and salary cap... as we're beginning to prove to be as well.
... except when they paid $1m for Angus Crichton.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Article on NRL.com saying Kurt Capewell is still without a deal. Tigers and Knights were in talks but have moved on now. If that reduced his asking price I reckon it would be worth considering. He can play edge forward or centre so could be a useful addition to the bench. Better than carrying a winger there like with did with Simo.

Those hybrid edge players like Aubusson, Takarani, Yeo etc can be handy to have on the roster and we don't really have anybody like that right now. Also not a lot of depth in our edge forwards with Paps and Tapine finding a home in the middle.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Northern Raider wrote:Article on NRL.com saying Kurt Capewell is still without a deal. Tigers and Knights were in talks but have moved on now. If that reduced his asking price I reckon it would be worth considering. He can play edge forward or centre so could be a useful addition to the bench. Better than carrying a winger there like with did with Simo.

Those hybrid edge players like Aubusson, Takarani, Yeo etc can be handy to have on the roster and we don't really have anybody like that right now. Also not a lot of depth in our edge forwards with Paps and Tapine finding a home in the middle.
These players you mention do have potential. It’s the financial and social cost of moving from Sydney to Canberra that makes it difficult for us to attract these fringe players without the promise of a first team position or at least pretty good money.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Yes to Capewell
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Northern Raider wrote: November 6, 2019, 1:23 pm Article on NRL.com saying Kurt Capewell is still without a deal. Tigers and Knights were in talks but have moved on now. If that reduced his asking price I reckon it would be worth considering. He can play edge forward or centre so could be a useful addition to the bench. Better than carrying a winger there like with did with Simo.

Hardest of no’s to Capewell... the dude is a missed tackle machine. Yes he plays a few positions, but none of them well
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Matt wrote: November 6, 2019, 12:42 pm
zim wrote: November 6, 2019, 10:30 am
The Chooks wanted him to be their GI styled FB. Its strange to say this, but he couldnt cut it, so they got Teddy. Like GI, I have a feeling he doesnt have the motor for FB. Too much running, therefore not enough energy to be explosive for 80mins. Which means, youll get good games, bad games and unstoppable games, and everything in between. For that coin, he has to be a spine player, or 80min stud forward AKA Lolo, Jurbo, Surgess at his prime, etc.

The latest story is that the Tigers want to do exactly that BTW, move him to FB. Take that with a grain of salt of course.
The tigers would have to. They've already got 900k in 1 centre with Mbye and a cut price fullback. Someone like the dogs could play him at centre in that first year and keep Hopoate at fullback.

I think the biggest issue he'd have at fullback these days is communication. Doesn't seem like he does much of it in the line. Just does his own thing. When it comes off he's got the size to smash someone or shut down a play but when it doesn't he can look really ordinary, and he doesn't chase his mistakes.
If the switch came off it could be the making of him. It would force him to fix a number of his weaknesses.
Last edited by zim on November 6, 2019, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Aubusson and Takairangi can take a long walk off a short plank as well. Plodders
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Seems like it's David Fifita or bust for Rickmando.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Why would you clog your roster with such low-ceiling options??
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Who said anything about roster clogging? They fill a role of providing first grade quality backups while your big names are injured or on rep duties and your kids with potential are being developed into proper first graders. They don't stop anyone.
Where are your first grade ready high ceiling players that are willing to come here for backup roles and backup money?
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Who said anything about Fifita or bust??
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

We finished 2nd this year predominantly on the back of almost everyone in the squad, to a man, improving on their previous seasons.

None of the players mentioned just above have that improvement in them, so I’m suggesting we let them be someone else’s problem
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

By the way... I hadn’t signed on or posted on the GH for two months, because I got tired of the jerk responses taking the place of decent conversation. And after jumping back on, the first thing I get is a jerk response.

Goodbye GH - I will miss a few of you who know your footy and actually put across some great points. But most of you are snarky kn0b-heads. You should take a look at yourselves if you ever want to grow this site as somewhere welcoming to Raiders/rugby league fans.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

God you're a jerk, zim.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Rickmando wrote: November 6, 2019, 2:16 pm
Northern Raider wrote: November 6, 2019, 1:23 pm Article on NRL.com saying Kurt Capewell is still without a deal. Tigers and Knights were in talks but have moved on now. If that reduced his asking price I reckon it would be worth considering. He can play edge forward or centre so could be a useful addition to the bench. Better than carrying a winger there like with did with Simo.

Hardest of no’s to Capewell... the dude is a missed tackle machine. Yes he plays a few positions, but none of them well
He's a long way off Defensive POTY but we're talking about a squad filler. We won't be signing top level edge forwards any time soon as those starting spots are locked for at least 2 more years. We still need some depth signings in this position.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

$1m for Mitchell is ridiculous. No centre is worth that.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Rickmando wrote:Aubusson and Takairangi can take a long walk off a short plank as well. Plodders
Aubbuson would be #14 for our side every week. He fills a role and does it well. I'd take him on the minimum wage and 10 skins tournaments per year, that he is probably on at the Roosters.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Seiffert82 wrote: November 6, 2019, 4:39 pm $1m for Mitchell is ridiculous. No centre is worth that.
Yeah, that's really it in a nutshell
I think at his best, he's the best centre in the world... but yeah, no centre is worth that.
Apparently he wants to play fullback. I thought he was Fergo-esque in limited time there myself

You could see the athleticism, and the potential and some flashes but the weaknesses of them playing at positon were so glaring, it had to end.
It's hard to ever imagine Latrell being a world class fullback... though admittedly i probably said the same of Inglis
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Yeah, Tiges at 1 Millish for a FB is a massive risk- but worth taking if your roster is garbage and it's medium term. Can shift to centre if not working in last year.

Probably backs up our response to BJ that he can go looking for that cash if he likes, but it's not coming from us or likely to come from elsewhere after 6 months gone on a neck and a spotty record on professionalism overall.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

We’re after a middle forward, so I wouldn’t be wasting any decent coin on outside backs.

David Fifita would be perfect for our squad and an absolute dream. No chance.

Jai Arrow another great target.

Our biggest weakness is the gulf in class between Papalli and other middles. That needs to be addressed in some way or it remains a weakness and a risk.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

The Rickman wrote: November 6, 2019, 4:07 pm God you're a jerk, zim.
Does this make me part of the clique now?

Rickmando if you can't engage in exaggerated discussion after an exaggerated point like "Aubusson and Takairangi can take a long walk off a short plank as well. Plodders", then you're right you should refrain from posting in any online forum really.
Last edited by zim on November 6, 2019, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Rickmando wrote: November 6, 2019, 4:03 pm By the way... I hadn’t signed on or posted on the GH for two months, because I got tired of the jerk responses taking the place of decent conversation. And after jumping back on, the first thing I get is a jerk response.

Goodbye GH - I will miss a few of you who know your footy and actually put across some great points. But most of you are snarky kn0b-heads. You should take a look at yourselves if you ever want to grow this site as somewhere welcoming to Raiders/rugby league fans.
Sorry to hear that Rickmando...

For the record, in my view, zim is a very good guy, and not a jerk...

But it is some worthy feedback, for people to consider... are you welcoming of other views?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

People in glass houses......

Shouldn’t do nude Yoga.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: November 6, 2019, 9:42 pm People in glass houses......

Shouldn’t do nude Yoga.
Oh no! Are you telling me I'm not welcoming? :o :cry:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote: November 6, 2019, 7:59 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: November 6, 2019, 4:39 pm $1m for Mitchell is ridiculous. No centre is worth that.
I think at his best, he's the best centre in the world... but yeah, no centre is worth that.
Apparently he wants to play fullback. I thought he was Fergo-esque in limited time there myself

You could see the athleticism, and the potential and some flashes but the weaknesses of them playing at positon were so glaring, it had to end.
It's hard to ever imagine Latrell being a world class fullback... though admittedly i probably said the same of Inglis
Yeah, the Inglis comparison was a good one. I thought he was too lazy to play fullback (like Mitchell) but he killed it. I'm not convinced Mitchell's positioning in defence would be great, but you never know.

You'd consider $1mil if he got his hands on the ball more often, like he could at FB or 5/8, but that's a pretty big risk for a player largely untested in that position.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Seiffert82 wrote: November 7, 2019, 12:43 am
Botman wrote: November 6, 2019, 7:59 pm

Yeah, the Inglis comparison was a good one. I thought he was too lazy to play fullback (like Mitchell) but he killed it. I'm not convinced Mitchell's positioning in defence would be great, but you never know.

You'd consider $1mil if he got his hands on the ball more often, like he could at FB or 5/8, but that's a pretty big risk for a player largely untested in that position.
Latrell is the 2nd coming of GI, and I have no doubt about that. Same physical build and physical ability. He has all the skills too. Its always been his ability to be in the game all the time. However, its 100% up to Latrell to decide if he is going to achieve all the things GI did.