Raiders player signing speculation 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by simo »

edwahu wrote: May 21, 2019, 8:48 am He is ok but doesn't really fit what we need or how we are playing. If we sign a forward it needs to be a very good one.
Agreed, really looking for a high impact 30-40 min player with an offload. Pangai jnr would be so perfect its not funny
Dont delete this GE
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

simo wrote: May 21, 2019, 9:20 am
edwahu wrote: May 21, 2019, 8:48 am He is ok but doesn't really fit what we need or how we are playing. If we sign a forward it needs to be a very good one.
Agreed, really looking for a high impact 30-40 min player with an offload. Pangai jnr would be so perfect its not funny
I agree that a player like him would fit the profile but the price tag makes him not the right fit for our set up. Not saying that he's not worth his price, he's just not a luxury our club can afford.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

We basically need a budget version... like a Dave Taylor story part 2, just not starring Dave Taylor this time
Last edited by Raiders_Pat on May 21, 2019, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Uele from the sharks
Dont delete this GE
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

simo wrote: May 21, 2019, 9:57 am Uele from the sharks
Braden Hamlin-Uele, yeah he's a big aggressive unit. I think he'd do well if we could keep his fitness on track.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Why do we have to accept a budget option? Since we know Horsburgh and Young are already on contract we only have 1 player we need to keep off contract, 1 mid range contract added in Williams, and nobody requiring an upgrade. Our recruitment has been dominated by signing of players from a cheaper part of the market and we know they also moved away from paying overs deals for players last year.

Perhaps we can't convince a star player to come full stop but it shouldn't be a cap issue.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 21, 2019, 10:02 am
Braden Hamlin-Uele, yeah he's a big aggressive unit. I think he'd do well if we could keep his fitness on track.
He would be awesome. He is a beast
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

edwahu wrote: May 21, 2019, 10:26 am Why do we have to accept a budget option? Since we know Horsburgh and Young are already on contract we only have 1 player we need to keep off contract, 1 mid range contract added in Williams, and nobody requiring an upgrade. Our recruitment has been dominated by signing of players from a cheaper part of the market and we know they also moved away from paying overs deals for players last year.

Perhaps we can't convince a star player to come full stop but it shouldn't be a cap issue.
The rumoured price tag for TPJ is $1mil which I would speculate is out of our range. I'd say maybe with somebody like Sezer being moved on we might have something in the $400-600k range to snag a player, which is why I was suggesting a budget version of TPJ... somebody of a similar style but within a reasonable price range.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Id really like us to sign Christian Welch
Dont delete this GE
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Matt wrote: May 21, 2019, 11:25 am
Raiders_Pat wrote: May 21, 2019, 10:02 am
He would be awesome. He is a beast
Just checked and he's currently off contract at the end of the year.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

simo wrote: May 21, 2019, 12:03 pm Id really like us to sign Christian Welch
I like your thinking, but we are exactly the type of team that would pay decent money for a Melbourne player only to discover he was made to look like a first grader due to the system he was playing in :roflmao
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Anyone who wants TPJ and his:

- terrible lateral movement
- poor tackling technique
- and cheap thug shots

must be missing the deliberate strategic change in thinking regarding how we pick our forward pack this year.

We jettisoned two of those types in Paulo and Boyd. Don’t you think we are better for it in 2019???

Save the cash for a gun half or fullback. Let someone else pay overs for TPJ and be saddled with him and his poor attitude.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

With great respect Rickmando... i dont think anyone comparing TPJ with Paulo and Boyd is making an accurate comp.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Rickmando wrote: May 21, 2019, 3:31 pm Save the cash for a gun half or fullback. Let someone else pay overs for TPJ and be saddled with him and his poor attitude.
We've got a fullback and we've bought a half who we haven't tried yet.... so if we have extra cash to splash an impact forward would be awesome. Besides that, the conversation wasn't about signing TPJ. I'm down with the premise that it may be good cap management for us to extend CNK and front load some of the cash in to next year seeing as he comes off contract in 2020 but besides that we don't really need to be saving cash for anybody else next year.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I reckon that G.Williams for the rumoured 500k is an outstanding signing for us. Paying big money to any of the halves we could get is a way bigger risk than TPJ.

I mean people complain about Sezer but there are mediocre halves on much bigger contracts than him.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Signing Welch would be a catastrophe.

It’s be another White/Blair/Proctor/Hoffman
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

That’s not even touching on the fact he just did his knee.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

julian87 wrote: May 21, 2019, 6:18 pm Signing Welch would be a catastrophe.

Yeah if a club signed him on big money.
Raider_Boy
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Pappa

Post by Raider_Boy »

What about....Trent Merrin? Lookin to get back to oz and all...
Member #6381
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

PigRickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 3:42 pm With great respect Rickmando... i dont think anyone comparing TPJ with Paulo and Boyd is making an accurate comp.
And with respect coming back, the comp is not so much to the individuals but rather the style, and what standards the 2019 raiders are holding themselves to.

This smaller, more aggressive pack are demonstrating more accountability than previous units. We are all enjoying the fruits of their competitiveness - the wins and the closer-to-80-minute performances... it’s off the platform set by the pack, them all working for each other.

TPJ - well he’s the antithesis of what we are doing. Yes he puts his hand up for metres, but without the ball he doesn’t have the discipline or the willingness to make his tackles.

I’ve put this challenge out there before. Watch him play for the broncos. But actually really watch him, watch his play (especially without the ball) - don’t just look at the stat sheet. You’ll see flops, half hearted arm tackles, cheap shots, and shortcuts galore. We don’t need that.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 21, 2019, 6:02 pm
Rickmando wrote: May 21, 2019, 3:31 pm Save the cash for a gun half or fullback. Let someone else pay overs for TPJ and be saddled with him and his poor attitude.
We've got a fullback and we've bought a half who we haven't tried yet.... so if we have extra cash to splash an impact forward would be awesome. Besides that, the conversation wasn't about signing TPJ. I'm down with the premise that it may be good cap management for us to extend CNK and front load some of the cash in to next year seeing as he comes off contract in 2020 but besides that we don't really need to be saving cash for anybody else next year.
You literally mentioned TPJ just a few posts ago??
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

julian87 wrote: May 21, 2019, 6:18 pm Signing Welch would be a catastrophe.

Im not saying sign him to a stupid big deal. I think hes a very good al round middle. Plays at a high gear. Reminds me a but of brenton lawrence
Dont delete this GE
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Rickmando wrote: May 21, 2019, 7:07 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: May 21, 2019, 6:02 pm
You literally mentioned TPJ just a few posts ago??
I was talking about signing an impact style prop in the TPJ mould... a budget TPJ. As I mentioned, we don't have the money to pay the sort of coin TPJ is after.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

MrPosh wrote:Not that it's specifically relevant to the Raiders, but Hull FC signed second-rower Josh Jones from Salford, today.

He's a pretty decent player and was much in demand. He would be in the same bracket as Sutton (although probably a bit better).

It's been reported that he chose Hull because theirs was the biggest offer. Apparently, he'll be getting paid AU$220,000 per year.

At that kind of value, I think we'll be seeing a lot more English players heading to the NRL.
Interesting situation. There was a time where so many Aussies were heading over there and it was seen as not good for the ESL competition. While it is good to have some of England's best having a crack in the NRL surely there will become a point where it's detrimental to the ESL.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

What if Tapine was our high energy, impact prop with an offload?

Then we'd get 80 out of Bateman on an edge every week.

And I'm not sure Tapine is at his best when we try to get 80 mins from him.

Lui, Sia, Hors, Papa, Sutton and depending how you see them, Tapine or Bateman.

Lui, Sia and Sutton are all more workhorse types, Papa is a genuine star. Tapine could be our other middle threat.

Would you still want to bring in a prop in that case?

Or where else could we upgrade? Halfback obviously. FB possibly but CNK is going so well I'd rather see how good he can be>
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

BadnMean wrote: May 21, 2019, 8:09 pm What if Tapine was our high energy, impact prop with an offload?

Then we'd get 80 out of Bateman on an edge every week.

And I'm not sure Tapine is at his best when we try to get 80 mins from him.

Lui, Sia, Hors, Papa, Sutton and depending how you see them, Tapine or Bateman.

Lui, Sia and Sutton are all more workhorse types, Papa is a genuine star. Tapine could be our other middle threat.

Would you still want to bring in a prop in that case?

Or where else could we upgrade? Halfback obviously. FB possibly but CNK is going so well I'd rather see how good he can be>
Nope we wouldnt need to if tapine started taking that role. I suggested somewhere earlier that we could start tapine from the bench to give him more impact over less minutes but that was as an edge forward
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Rickmando wrote: May 21, 2019, 7:04 pm
PigRickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 3:42 pm With great respect Rickmando... i dont think anyone comparing TPJ with Paulo and Boyd is making an accurate comp.
And with respect coming back, the comp is not so much to the individuals but rather the style, and what standards the 2019 raiders are holding themselves to.

This smaller, more aggressive pack are demonstrating more accountability than previous units. We are all enjoying the fruits of their competitiveness - the wins and the closer-to-80-minute performances... it’s off the platform set by the pack, them all working for each other.

TPJ - well he’s the antithesis of what we are doing. Yes he puts his hand up for metres, but without the ball he doesn’t have the discipline or the willingness to make his tackles.

I’ve put this challenge out there before. Watch him play for the broncos. But actually really watch him, watch his play (especially without the ball) - don’t just look at the stat sheet. You’ll see flops, half hearted arm tackles, cheap shots, and shortcuts galore. We don’t need that.
Na, i got that it was about style but i just dont agree that TPJ is stylistically a Paulo/Boyd type. He's far more in line with our pack than he is with those does. He's athletic as hell, he's poor defensively because he's out of shape IMO and a bit lazy. Boyd and Paulo were bad because they couldnt move laterally. TPJ has no problem moving laterally.

I've watched him very closely, because i've been a long time fan of him. I see a player who has Lolo potential and ill always bet on talent. I think he's going to be a superstar and his defensive issues dont concern me one bit given he's 23 years old. You can absolutely coach that **** out of him, because again, it's not a lack of athleticism that holds him back there, it's purely laziness.

Paulo and Boyd could be at their absolute peaks as footballer and they'll still be targets around the middle because they cant move or change direction quickly and efficiently. That's absolutely NOT TPJ imo.

Again, i get people who think we probably dont need him at his price tag. I think that's valid. We've got a very good pack and i think Young, Horse and Guler are all very good young prospects (and i think im forgetting one too) and worth investing in... so add them into a couple of guns like Baeteman, Whitehead, Papa and Tapine and i can see why someone would say we can pass on TPJ and lets divert that money to the spine...but the idea that TPJ actually sucks or isnt worth what he's going to get paid is absurd to me. You pay for premium talent and TPJ has best forward in the game potential. That's worthy of being paid.
Last edited by Botman on May 21, 2019, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Yeah, that could work. Tapine tends to get suspended and heavily penalized whenever he plays high energy though.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I've said it before, but i'd sooner play Whitehead in the middle than Tapine. I think Tapine is a good solid middle, but Whitehead moved there and looked like an elite work horse middle, and Tapine finally started to look like the star we thought he got when he got moved to the edges

I think Whitehead is an excellent edge who can also be an excellent middle. Tapine is an excellent edge who is a... a middling middle.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

PigRickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 8:26 pm I've said it before, but i'd sooner play Whitehead in the middle than Tapine. I think Tapine is a good solid middle, but Whitehead moved there and looked like an elite work horse middle, and Tapine finally started to look like the star we thought he got when he got moved to the edges

I think Whitehead is an excellent edge who can also be an excellent middle. Tapine is an excellent edge who is a... a middling middle.
And he would have gotten away with it too if it wasnt for you middling kids
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: May 21, 2019, 8:31 pm
PigRickman wrote: May 21, 2019, 8:26 pm I've said it before, but i'd sooner play Whitehead in the middle than Tapine. I think Tapine is a good solid middle, but Whitehead moved there and looked like an elite work horse middle, and Tapine finally started to look like the star we thought he got when he got moved to the edges

And he would have gotten away with it too if it wasnt for you middling kids
:roflmao
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Hmm I thought Whitehead played a stellar game or two in the middle but then it started to grind him down and we didn't get as much out of him. He was there for a month or so? Never got the chance to see if he'd bounce back and adapt. I haven't seen enough of Tapine in the middle to be sure he is so middling there. I reckon he'd be a star anywhere

But I was trying to solve our impact/attatcking line bender/gamebreaker type prop role that people seemed to be wanting to recruit for. Whitehead doesn't do that necessarily in the middle. Sutton does a mans job in there, Whitehead is a better player, better hands and smart but would still be doing the workhorse stuff.

So Whitehead to lock, Tapine and Young share an edge, Sutton in to prop and probably Lui misses out would be your re-shuffle to get Taps in?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah i think that's where i'd go.
Baeteman would play the 80 because he has a very high motor and his quality is suited to 80 minutes. Tapine and Young could be that sort of 1-2 punch on the edge. And Sia, Sutton, Papalii and one of the young kids taking up he middle rotation.

But i am rethinking this now, in light of a point Simo made in another thread about how valuable Bateman and Whitehead are on the fringes as defenders. It's a point well made and one worth considering re: Tapine being paired with a defensively deficient half on the edges.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Yeah I don't mind Whitehead to lock. Whether it's Bateman to lock or Whitehead to lock, I think either is a better fit than Tapine, he's got the potential to be one of the best edge players in the game imo
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BadnMean wrote: May 21, 2019, 8:55 pm

Hmm I thought Whitehead played a stellar game or two in the middle but then it started to grind him down and we didn't get as much out of him. He was there for a month or so? Never got the chance to see if he'd bounce back and adapt. I haven't seen enough of Tapine in the middle to be sure he is so middling there. I reckon he'd be a star anywhere

But I was trying to solve our impact/attatcking line bender/gamebreaker type prop role that people seemed to be wanting to recruit for. Whitehead doesn't do that necessarily in the middle. Sutton does a mans job in there, Whitehead is a better player, better hands and smart but would still be doing the workhorse stuff.

So Whitehead to lock, Tapine and Young share an edge, Sutton in to prop and probably Lui misses out would be your re-shuffle to get Taps in?
Whitehead moved to lock, had one great game, and it was downhill from there for him in that position. He is an edge player, definitely. It is a waste of his talent not to have him there. Tapine is the same. Bateman is the most versatile, so that is the key reason he needs to be at lock.

There is actually a better combination/line up here and that is why.