Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Botman »

bonehead wrote: June 18, 2019, 10:01 pm
PigRickman wrote:
reptar wrote: June 18, 2019, 7:58 pm Why would the next TV rights be more?
Because they never go down. Ever. The ONLY thing that is ratings proof right now is live sports, and advertisers know it.
Binge watching has diminished the TV ratings across drama shows etc... but you cant binge watch live sports. You just cant.
except for the A league, that's a tv deal going down
Yeah, look... this will upset some soccer fans, but absolutely no one gives a **** about local soccer in this country. The A-league is garbage football, its actually unwatchable. The quality is horrific. Why would you watch that garbage when real football is so accessible?

The sleeping giant? Please, it's in a **** coma. Only to be woken up every 4 years when a WC rolls around. Soccer is never going to be a thing in Australia, least not above RL or AFL.

RL and AFL deals arent going to go down anytime soon. It may change in how it's delivered, but these sports rate through their **** and advertisers aren't going away.... what ever format delivery of that product takes on, that money is going to be there and continue to rise. And thus, the cap will rise, and player salaries will rise.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

-TW- wrote: June 18, 2019, 10:04 pm
PigRickman wrote:11mil, 10 years feels like a MAJOR deal, but in 5 years time when a new TV deal comes down and revenue continues to rise, and the cap is now 12-15mil, 1.1mil for the best outside back in the game is probably going to actually be below market
Until he obliterates his knee campo style and they're stuck with a shell of a player for 9 years cause noone wants a bar of him

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
yeah, that's the risk, and thats why a player takes the 11m in the hand... so great, there is Campo who's knee exploded not once, not twice but thrice!....

Or you can be Lolo, and lock in 10mil.... we are 2 years into that deal and no one bats an eyelid.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

So getting back on track with raiders signing speculation...has there been any more word on George Williams?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I batted the hell out of my eyelids at Lolo.

Still think it’s a bad move.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VictorTheViking wrote: June 18, 2019, 10:16 pm So getting back on track with raiders signing speculation...has there been any more word on George Williams?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
He’s coming in 2020.
DOGMAN
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by DOGMAN »

Thanks for highlights, have you got last week's against cas, he was awesome
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

PigRickman wrote:
Because they never go down. Ever. The ONLY thing that is ratings proof right now is live sports, and advertisers know it.
Binge watching has diminished the TV ratings across drama shows etc... but you cant binge watch live sports. You just cant.
Sure you can. I often wake up and binge watch minis from over night. It is better live when you can get it, obviously.

Also, i suspect you'll find TV have been losing money on sport to prop up other content, and even that is failing. The value of owning a TV broadcast station is purely propaganda message pushing other business interests.

Digital is where any increased revenue will come from, not sure NRL are ready for that yet. AFL seem far more onto it.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

edwahu wrote:
TV might not be but digital will be a lot more and total revenue will be higher. It won't be growing exponentially like in the past though.
I'm not so sure the NRL will be ready to maximise this transition.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

PigRickman wrote:
PigRickman wrote:
Yeah, look... this will upset some soccer fans, but absolutely no one gives a **** about local soccer in this country. The A-league is garbage football, its actually unwatchable. The quality is horrific. Why would you watch that garbage when real football is so accessible?

The sleeping giant? Please, it's in a **** coma. Only to be woken up every 4 years when a WC rolls around. Soccer is never going to be a thing in Australia, least not above RL or AFL.

RL and AFL deals arent going to go down anytime soon. It may change in how it's delivered, but these sports rate through their **** and advertisers aren't going away.... what ever format delivery of that product takes on, that money is going to be there and continue to rise. And thus, the cap will rise, and player salaries will rise.
mark the calendar, we agree on something 100%

Now where's my wire brush and bleach, Boney feels he needs a scrub down
Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote:I batted the hell out of my eyelids at Lolo.

Me too. We might be 2 years in, but still 8 to go. Plenty can go wrong in that time and it’s all in the player’s favour (as it should be)
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I think it's 3 in for the Lolo deal isn't it? Really you'd be paying 1.3+ for him if he hit the open market. So it's pretty quickly going to give a positive return.

The other thing in favour of these deals is the rules around medical retirements and jobs post footy seem to be a bit more relaxed these days.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

edwahu wrote:I think it's 3 in for the Lolo deal isn't it? Really you'd be paying 1.3+ for him if he hit the open market. So it's pretty quickly going to give a positive return.

The other thing in favour of these deals is the rules around medical retirements and jobs post footy seem to be a bit more relaxed these days.
It’s not going to give a positive return though, because as soon as he’s under market value he’s going to demand an upgrade!

I just can’t understand how so many of you don’t get this
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The Rickman wrote: June 19, 2019, 8:17 am
edwahu wrote:I think it's 3 in for the Lolo deal isn't it? Really you'd be paying 1.3+ for him if he hit the open market. So it's pretty quickly going to give a positive return.

It’s not going to give a positive return though, because as soon as he’s under market value he’s going to demand an upgrade!

I just can’t understand how so many of you don’t get this
It's already well under market value. They would've saved 600k at least so far.

Once it happens you'll have a point.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

That’s based on your assessment of value at 1.3M which I don’t agree with
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

gangrenous wrote: June 19, 2019, 8:24 am That’s based on your assessment of value at 1.3M which I don’t agree with
If the Dogs are paying 1.1m for a temperamental centre you don't think they would pay 1.3m for Lolo?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: June 18, 2019, 10:19 pm I batted the hell out of my eyelids at Lolo.

Oh im not talking at the time... when the deal was inked he signed 10 years, 10 mil in a 7mil salary cap, that was huge at the time and many were skeptical... but

We're 2 or 3 years on and now the cap is 9.6mil and he's almost certainly getting the long service discount... so cap wise, Lolo is probably on about 700k in a 9.6mil cap, or a paltry 7% of their cap.
There are 16 clubs who would be willing to move heaven and earth to have Lolo on their books for 7% of the salary cap.

Mitchell getting 1.1mil a year now is a lower cap % hit than the Lolo deal, which only 2 years later is an absolute bargain for the club.
These deals are basically the club locking in an incredibly low deal in exchange for amazing levels of security... now the problem is, as Rickman said, in this age of player empowerment, will those 10 year deals hold up? Or will the players get disgruntled in year 5-6 seeing their per year deal being dwarfed by others, and force the clubs into redoing them? I think he's probably right and that's exactly what will happen, it does in every other sport i follow so i dont see any reason why it'd be different here, but right now that Lolo deal is INSANELY good for the Cowboys.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Even if the player asks for an upgrade to market value, it's just putting the Club in the same position as it would be if the player was a free agent anyway. It won't impact savings up to that point and it gives the club first option to keep the player.

These deals are only bad if the player goes so badly or gets injured so his value drops below market value or if the original deal is so unfairly low that any upgrade couldn't be accommodated (e.g Klemmer). I think in Lolos case both are unlikely.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

If Latrell goes to the dogs he will be asked to win them the game every single wk.
He cant do it.
He needs a decent player to feed him, the Dogs dont have that.
It will ruin his career.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

PigRickman wrote: June 19, 2019, 8:41 am
gsangrenous wrote: June 18, 2019, 10:19 pm I batted the hell out of my eyelids at Lolo.

Oh im not talking at the time... when the deal was inked he signed 10 years, 10 mil in a 7mil salary cap, that was huge at the time and many were skeptical... but

We're 2 or 3 years on and now the cap is 9.6mil and he's almost certainly getting the long service discount... so cap wise, Lolo is probably on about 700k in a 9.6mil cap, or a paltry 7% of their cap.
There are 16 clubs who would be willing to move heaven and earth to have Lolo on their books for 7% of the salary cap.

Mitchell getting 1.1mil a year now is a lower cap % hit than the Lolo deal, which only 2 years later is an absolute bargain for the club.
These deals are basically the club locking in an incredibly low deal in exchange for amazing levels of security... now the problem is, as Rickman said, in this age of player empowerment, will those 10 year deals hold up? Or will the players get disgruntled in year 5-6 seeing their per year deal being dwarfed by others, and force the clubs into redoing them? I think he's probably right and that's exactly what will happen, it does in every other sport i follow so i dont see any reason why it'd be different here, but right now that Lolo deal is INSANELY good for the Cowboys.
Your assumption is that his manager is a simpering **** who failed to peg the contract to increases in the cap, which would be unimaginable.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

With some of these poms mentioned of late the best young half I’ve seen for a while from over there is Jordan Abdull. We don’t need him as he’s a genuine five-eighth. He’s not highly rated either but I reckon he’d make a good fist of being a supporting half in the NRL.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: June 19, 2019, 9:26 am
PigRickman wrote: June 19, 2019, 8:41 am
gsangrenous wrote: June 18, 2019, 10:19 pm I batted the hell out of my eyelids at Lolo.

Your assumption is that his manager is a simpering **** who failed to peg the contract to increases in the cap, which would be unimaginable.
I have never heard of any one in the NRL or AFL managing to get contractual terms tied to a % of the cap or increases in line with cap increases. Many have tried and not once have i seen it reported that such a move was successful

I know in the NFL agents of QB's try this EVERY single negotiation and not one of them have managed to be successful. I would think if Lolo's contract is in anyway tied to the cap, we'd know about it, because his agent would insist on making sure that detail was out in the public forum as a marketing tool to expand his own client base. Obviously i dont have any intimate knowledge of the contract on that level and can only go off what has been reported and what is actually unimaginable is that a agent/manager got a contract done where his client gets the longest and richest contract in NRL history, and that he also gets pay rises in line with cap rises and that detail isnt leaked to every blog, paper and news outlet in the country.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Most deals, however, have escalation clauses.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: June 19, 2019, 10:48 am Most deals, however, have escalation clauses.
Yeah there is no way it's just 10 year, 1 mil per year flat rate... the 1m per year is the average of the deal, but no one is going to be happy sitting stagnate in terms of take home pay for a decade. I'll bet he started in year one around the 750-800k mark and each year he gets a jump where by year 10 he's somewhere in the 1.2 - 1.3M range.
Some of it might be tied into performance measures for him and the team,

But i VERY much doubt those figures are tied to the cap increases. When the new rights deal comes down and the cap takes a big leap, which is what history suggests it will, i dont think Lolo is getting that bump too. And if it is, and the manager hasn't made sure that is VERY public knowledge, he is a simpering ****
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Taumalolo is in a league of his own when it comes to middle forwards. There's no one else close.

There's a heap of risk around a 10 year contract however. Massive risk on the club. Not much on JT.
Would he not have signed if they made it a 6 or 7 year, or even 8 year contract? There's just so much that could go wrong.
I'd prefer to pay $1.2m per year for 4 years, than $1m per year for 10.
If something goes wrong in year 5, you've stuffed your cap and club for the next 5 years!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

PigRickman wrote:
Good reason for that. A League is a low level comp on the world scale. It has a relatively small local following. Most soccer fans want to see European football first.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

bonehead wrote:
PigRickman wrote:
And Super Rugby

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Matt wrote: June 19, 2019, 9:05 am If Latrell goes to the dogs he will be asked to win them the game every single wk.
He cant do it.
It will ruin his career.
This is what I was thunking as well..

It's no use having a Lamborghini in the side when he's surrounded by Dato 180b's.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

dubby wrote: June 19, 2019, 11:59 am
bonehead wrote:
PigRickman wrote:
And Super Rugby

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
What about it?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Should really drop the word "super" from the sport name now, shouldn't they??
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Lousy Rugby
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Sid wrote:Lousy Rugby
I like it!
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

-PJ- wrote: June 19, 2019, 12:14 pm
Matt wrote: June 19, 2019, 9:05 am If Latrell goes to the dogs he will be asked to win them the game every single wk.
He cant do it.
It will ruin his career.

It's no use having a Lamborghini in the side when he's surrounded by Dato 180b's.
:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

Perfect analogy
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

He cant do it.
It will ruin his career.

Fond memories of my 180B SSS
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Johno wrote: June 19, 2019, 10:07 pm
He cant do it.
It will ruin his career.

Tell me Johno,

What luxury mod cons did the 180B SSS have ?

Where I grew up all Dato 120Ys and 180Bs came with fluffy dice on the rear view mirror..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

-PJ- wrote:
Johno wrote: June 19, 2019, 10:07 pm
He cant do it.
It will ruin his career.

Tell me Johno,

What luxury mod cons did the 180B SSS have ?

Where I grew up all Dato 120Ys and 180Bs came with fluffy dice on the rear view mirror..
I imagine SSS stands for Super Sporadic Suspension.