All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Dusty »

Mole reporting that Alex Johnston still wants out...

Apparently Wayne will use Greg Inglis at fullback 2019, pushing Johnston onto the wing. This rumour has been doing the rounds for a bit now, I reckon it has legs.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-the-mo ... af150f38a3
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
edwahu

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by edwahu »

Dusty wrote: January 1, 2019, 9:18 am Mole reporting that Alex Johnston still wants out...

Apparently Wayne will use Greg Inglis at fullback 2019, pushing Johnston onto the wing. This rumour has been doing the rounds for a bit now, I reckon it has legs.
With Rapanas money, say 175k, plus the Rabbitohs paying some freight he could be a very cheap option.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

edwahu wrote:
Dusty wrote: January 1, 2019, 9:18 am Mole reporting that Alex Johnston still wants out...

With Rapanas money, say 175k, plus the Rabbitohs paying some freight he could be a very cheap option.
If that could be done without losing one of our top shelf players I’d be all for it.

1. A. Johnston
2. N. Cotric
3. J. Croker
4. B. Leilua
5. M. Oldfield
6. J. Wighton
7. A. Sezer
8. R. Sutton
9. J. Hodgson
10. J. Papalii
11. J. Tapine
12. E. Whitehead
13. J. Bateman

14. S. Havili
15. S. Soliola
16. E. Guler
17. D. Lui

Strong

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
greeneyed
Don Furner

Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by greeneyed »

The Rabbitohs fans seem quite happy to let Johnston go, rather than have him play fullback. Craig Norenbergs on Twitter is suggesting the Raiders are looking to a fullback at a western Sydney club for 2019.

Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

greeneyed wrote:The Rabbitohs fans seem quite happy to let Johnston go, rather than have him play fullback. Craig Norenbergs on Twitter is suggesting the Raiders are looking to a fullback at a western Sydney club for 2019.
Yeah Souths have Inglis and they’ve also locked up the Junior Kangaroos Fullback... I can’t recall his name. They have some options there so losing AJ wouldn’t be a huge one for them.

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

greeneyed wrote: January 1, 2019, 10:10 am The Rabbitohs fans seem quite happy to let Johnston go, rather than have him play fullback. Craig Norenbergs on Twitter is suggesting the Raiders are looking to a fullback at a western Sydney club for 2019.

He seems to confirm its Dylan Edwards. I'd be happiest with him signing ahead of Johnston and Dufty.
Last edited by edwahu on January 1, 2019, 10:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dusty wrote: January 1, 2019, 10:15 am
greeneyed wrote:The Rabbitohs fans seem quite happy to let Johnston go, rather than have him play fullback. Craig Norenbergs on Twitter is suggesting the Raiders are looking to a fullback at a western Sydney club for 2019.
Yeah Souths have Inglis and they’ve also locked up the Junior Kangaroos Fullback... I can’t recall his name. They have some options there so losing AJ wouldn’t be a huge one for them.

The point I was really getting at was they think he's not at all suited to fullback.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Dusty »

greeneyed wrote:
Dusty wrote: January 1, 2019, 10:15 am

The point I was really getting at was they think he's not at all suited to fullback.
Yeah, I understand that and tend to agree when he’s in competition with those two. The Panthers 1 would be a great pick up

Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

greeneyed wrote: January 1, 2019, 10:10 am The Rabbitohs fans seem quite happy to let Johnston go, rather than have him play fullback. Craig Norenbergs on Twitter is suggesting the Raiders are looking to a fullback at a western Sydney club for 2019.

I follow this guy but don’t know how good his mail is. How much stock can we put in this?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He was the Sky News head of sport and the the ABC radio head of sport. Now in New Zealand. Came from Canberra originally.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Edwards is another player I don’t really rate at all haha. Would definitely improve our squad to have him and Wighton in it rather than Wighton and Williams though.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I’d still be surprised if Raiders don’t sign another clubs 2nd choice fullback with Wighton moving to halves. There’s only 16 first choice fullback spots available in the competition so players would break contract if it meant elevating them to fullback position at another club. The good thing about it would be that it’ll improve the current squad, the bad thing is that being another clubs 2nd choice fullback, they won’t be a very good one, so I can’t see it being enough to take Raiders to strong premiership contenders

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I just bumped into Don Furner at David Jones in Sydney.
Hopefully he is down here shopping for players too!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

I haven’t seen much of Edwards so I’m not sure what he’s like, but given how well DWZ played for NZ at fullback recently it’d make sense

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Edwards was pretty much a gun through the back half of 2017 and in early 2018, until his injury. I'd be rapt if we could sign him. Not so much Alex Johnston, he's a winger.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

What’s Edwards pros and cons in terms of

Defence
Ball playing
Taking the hard metres from early hit ups
Speed
Error rate
Kicking game

Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

greeneyed wrote: January 1, 2019, 12:41 pm He was the Sky News head of sport and the the ABC radio head of sport. Now in New Zealand. Came from Canberra originally.
Thanks. Sounds better than most guys whose inside tips I get disproportionately excited about.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

If the plan is to play Jack Wighton at #6 I'm giving Dylan Edwards 2 thumbs..👍👍
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dylan Edwards bio and stats:

A classy fullback capable of making the tough demands of rugby league look effortless. Edwards started in the Panthers SG Ball Cup team and progressed through the ranks to the NRL after winning a Premiership with the NYC team in 2015. He made his first grade debut in 2016 on the wing and cemented his position in the side a year later at fullback. His excellent season saw him named co-winner of the 2017 Ben Alexander Rookie of the Year Award.

https://www.nrl.com/players/nrl-premier ... n-edwards/

Average fantasy league points in 2017: 44.4
2018: 41.6

You can play around with the more detailed 2018 stats for fullbacks here: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... isAvg=true

The trouble is, there aren't many games so they're probably not the best sample. But in short, he makes lots of running metres, line breaks and tackle breaks. Try and line break assists not up there with the leaders. Tackle efficiency (79 per cent) not that great but try causes not that high (0.5 per match).

Compared to Wighton, you'll get more running, tackle breaks, line breaks etc, but not as much ball playing and defence not quite as good. But the bottom line, is he's a top young prospect and more than proven he can handle NRL.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

Sid wrote: January 1, 2019, 1:42 pm The good thing about it would be that it’ll improve the current squad, the bad thing is that being another clubs 2nd choice fullback, they won’t be a very good one, so I can’t see it being enough to take Raiders to strong premiership contenders
That’s not for certain. Pretty sure Clinton Schifcofske came to us because he was Parra’s second choice. I’d sell my granny to have peak Clinton sign with us right now.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Dylan Edwards at fullback would be a win. I just have doubts about Jack at 6 - he has the ball skills, as we saw last year (finally stopped throwing cut outs to row 9) but his kicking game is atrocious, and his game smarts are seriously lacking. Will strengthen us defensively, but I can’t help to think that his shortfalls will place excess pressure on Sezer, which he has not handled well in the past.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Edwards would be a very good choice if he is on the market.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Sid wrote:I’d still be surprised if Raiders don’t sign another clubs 2nd choice fullback with Wighton moving to halves. There’s only 16 first choice fullback spots available in the competition so players would break contract if it meant elevating them to fullback position at another club. The good thing about it would be that it’ll improve the current squad, the bad thing is that being another clubs 2nd choice fullback, they won’t be a very good one, so I can’t see it being enough to take Raiders to strong premiership contenders
If you go with youth it isn’t always the case for example Ponga was the cowboys second choice fullback when he signed for the knights. Now obviously Ponga is a rare talent but without putting much thought into it some options (I don’t know the contract status of any of these players but they can be broken these days):

Isaako from Broncos
Ryan Papenhuyzen or Drinkwater from the storm.
Edwards of Aiken’s from the Panthers.
Allan from the Bunnies.

Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Ruben Daley wrote:
Sid wrote: January 1, 2019, 1:42 pm The good thing about it would be that it’ll improve the current squad, the bad thing is that being another clubs 2nd choice fullback, they won’t be a very good one, so I can’t see it being enough to take Raiders to strong premiership contenders
That’s not for certain. Pretty sure Clinton Schifcofske came to us because he was Parra’s second choice. I’d sell my granny to have peak Clinton sign with us right now.
Ah yeah, Brett Hodgson was kept and Parra were minor premiers in 2001

Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

Sid wrote: January 1, 2019, 2:58 pm
Ruben Daley wrote:
Ah yeah, Brett Hodgson was kept and Parra were minor premiers in 2001
Yeah but Schicofske turned out to be the best fullback we’ve had over the last twenty years. He doesn’t even have to be better than Hodgson (which I reckon he was), just a second option at one club who turned out to be a great first option at another.

RTW’s point about Ponga also backs this up.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I like Edwards and think he is an outstanding prospect. Would be on board with chasing him. Not keen on Dufty or Johnston however.

If Edwards wasn't a realistic target I really hope we are keeping an eye on Drinkwater at the Storm.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Drinkwater has just been re-signed to end 2021 though. They have him slated as Slater's replacement. Our chance with him is gone.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

greeneyed wrote: January 1, 2019, 3:39 pm Drinkwater has just been re-signed to end 2021 though. They have him slated as Slater's replacement. Our chance with him is gone.
Thanks for the update, I missed that one. He was always gonna be a long shot anyway. I just thought with Munster recently saying he wanted to play fullback that may make him a slim chance.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

edwahu wrote: January 1, 2019, 10:18 am

He seems to confirm its Dylan Edwards. I'd be happiest with him signing ahead of Johnston and Dufty.
Dufty is very very fast. Fast enough that he can make something out of nothing, but its 1 trick. No ball skills really. Not great working out of his own end, as he is small.

Johnston is fast, and a great finisher, which is why he is a great winger. He has a little bit of ball playing. He is a little lazy and small working out of his own end. A good case of a winger trying to be a FB IMO.

Edwards is a tackle busting ball running type. Very much in the mould of a Cotric or Rapana. Ive really liked what ive seen of him in FG. But, he is coming off a couple of bad injuries- shoulder and knee?

Of the 3, i much prefer Edwards. He is the more robust player, despite the injuries, and defensively stronger. HOWEVER, all 3 are ball runners more than ball players, and with Wightons likely shift to 6, i feel we could be a ball player short.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Sid wrote: January 1, 2019, 1:54 pm I haven’t seen much of Edwards so I’m not sure what he’s like, but given how well DWZ played for NZ at fullback recently it’d make sense
They have young Aekins too. Not to mention Philips and MWZ. The latter 2 being wingers capable of filling DWZs shoes out wide.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Coastalraider wrote: January 1, 2019, 2:45 pm Dylan Edwards at fullback would be a win. I just have doubts about Jack at 6 - he has the ball skills, as we saw last year (finally stopped throwing cut outs to row 9) but his kicking game is atrocious, and his game smarts are seriously lacking.
I too am dubious of whether he is up to it. However, his pass selection last yr was very good.

Weirdly, I think this might actually help with your next problem.

Coastalraider wrote: January 1, 2019, 2:45 pm Will strengthen us defensively, but I can’t help to think that his shortfalls will place excess pressure on Sezer, which he has not handled well in the past.
You might remember Sezer and Austin going to Ricky before our run about getting more ball and more influence; you know, the whole too many chieftains not enough indians bit. They did it last yr too. Well, i suspect Wighton doesnt have the same ego or confidence that Austin had, and as such, Hodgo and Sezer will be running the show. I think this actually works out better in this regard.

Im hoping this would also lead to a more traditional 1st and 2nd receiver situation, with both halves going to both sidesof the field. However, i can see Wighton being parked on the left edge exclusively, where he had most of his success at FB.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

RTW wrote: January 1, 2019, 2:49 pm
Sid wrote:I’d still be surprised if Raiders don’t sign another clubs 2nd choice fullback with Wighton moving to halves. There’s only 16 first choice fullback spots available in the competition so players would break contract if it meant elevating them to fullback position at another club. The good thing about it would be that it’ll improve the current squad, the bad thing is that being another clubs 2nd choice fullback, they won’t be a very good one, so I can’t see it being enough to take Raiders to strong premiership contenders
If you go with youth it isn’t always the case for example Ponga was the cowboys second choice fullback when he signed for the knights. Now obviously Ponga is a rare talent but without putting much thought into it some options (I don’t know the contract status of any of these players but they can be broken these days):

Isaako from Broncos
Ryan Papenhuyzen or Drinkwater from the storm.
Edwards of Aiken’s from the Panthers.
Allan from the Bunnies.

Either Penny FB would be good TBH
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Considering his form at the end of last year I'd take DWZ over Edwards as well, but taking the player that held DWZ out barring injury is a good plan B.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

edwahu wrote: January 1, 2019, 5:20 pm Considering his form at the end of last year I'd take DWZ over Edwards as well, but taking the player that held DWZ out barring injury is a good plan B.
Indeed
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:Drinkwater has just been re-signed to end 2021 though. They have him slated as Slater's replacement. Our chance with him is gone.
I dont get the Drinkwater thing. I saw him live a couple of times last year. He's very quick in attack, but some of his defence was absolutely scandalous.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.