Raiders player signing speculation 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by -PJ- »

I think Latrell Mitchell would be handy..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

After 2016 it seemed as though we gave everyone an upgrade as a reward for making the preliminarily. If we don’t win it this year I really hope we use the “premiership window is open” angle to under pay some players.

Bj is a perfect example surely you can extend him for another two years with a premiership carrot. He certainly won’t win one at the dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Wild thought. I wonder, if we're giving up BJ, and Raps is off to Jap rugby and some "issues" around it... Wonder if Curtis Scott would be an interesting high variance target if the price is right.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

We’re a win from the big dance I don’t really care for this thread atm.

Centre is the least important position in rugby league atm. But us having such good players there compared to almost everyone else bar Easts has been our biggest advantage man to man since 2016. I like that our right centre can win us a game in attack by being the deadset ultimate package. I made a post at some point in either ‘17 or ‘18 saying ill be telling younguns in 10/20 years just how good Leilua and Rapana were. I stand by that too. I don’t think there are many centres in the comp who would’ve laid that try on for Bateman on the weekend. If he’s squeezed I’ll trust Stuart. But this man can play a big part in winning us the competition this year and that’s what I’m thinking about atm.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

PigRickman wrote: September 17, 2019, 11:17 pm Wild thought. I wonder, if we're giving up BJ, and Raps is off to Jap rugby and some "issues" around it... Wonder if Curtis Scott would be an interesting high variance target if the price is right.
At least it would make beating Manly easier. Walker would be kept in his box.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

julian87 wrote: September 17, 2019, 11:51 pm We’re a win from the big dance I don’t really care for this thread atm.

Centre is the least important position in rugby league atm. But us having such good players there compared to almost everyone else bar Easts has been our biggest advantage man to man since 2016. I like that our right centre can win us a game in attack by being the deadset ultimate package. I made a post at some point in either ‘17 or ‘18 saying ill be telling younguns in 10/20 years just how good Leilua and Rapana were. I stand by that too. I don’t think there are many centres in the comp who would’ve laid that try on for Bateman on the weekend. If he’s squeezed I’ll trust Stuart. But this man can play a big part in winning us the competition this year and that’s what I’m thinking about atm.
Spot on. I hope we can keep him. If not im backing the club to find the next CNK / Simmonson to do a massive job for us next year, but foe now lets just enjoy watching our right edge tear it up
Drandyt
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Drandyt »

PigRickman wrote: September 17, 2019, 11:17 pm Wild thought. I wonder, if we're giving up BJ, and Raps is off to Jap rugby and some "issues" around it... Wonder if Curtis Scott would be an interesting high variance target if the price is right.
Great player - hard to believe Olam is keeping him out of the Storm.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

He's had a few personal issues keeping him out of the side (discipline / form), but we seem to be a good club for sorting that out at the moment.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Dont hate it
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Drandyt wrote: September 18, 2019, 9:48 am
Effort, work ethic, attitude, follows direction, defense. These are a few.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

You could have CNK, Simo, Croker, Scott, Cotric
Maybe get Scott on a 2 year deal, short term that allows him to come in repair his reputation a bit and still be in a good team where he can succeed, and then hit the market again in 2 years time to cash in... and ideally, the Raiders can either keep him or maybe Smith-Shields is ready to be the guy there for us.

I'd be risky because
a) he's got some of that Beej grubby penalty magnet stuff in him that can be costly
ii) he's apparently a big time **** off the park, but then that was Beej's rep when he arrived too, and Wighton is in the middle of his own reputation rebuild too.

If we do indeed lose BJ and Raps, i think we should absolutely investigate this
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Pigman, redemption for Jack Bird scenario please.
I'm a massive no and I reckon only the argument skills of the PigRickman could sway anyone.
Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Apparently on nights when Mrs PigRickman goes to bed early he stays up arguing with himself
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Mrs Pigrickman and I dont argue.
We've been together 12 years and have had 7 arguments. She's a very smart women, so she isn't throwing beach balls across my plate the way muppets do here.

I cant make any arguments for Jack Bird. Not for this club anyways.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I'd assume she just walks out of the room shaking her head once you get that look in your eye and start frothing at the mouth??
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: September 18, 2019, 2:55 pm I'd assume she just walks out of the room shaking her head once you get that look in your eye and start frothing at the mouth??
You obviously have never met my wife! She's not the backing down type. Haha
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Sounds to me like Piggy knows his place, and doesnt step out of line, so a argument isnt required. :P
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Piggy, wanna give Darius' redemption story a shot?
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

The Rickman wrote: September 18, 2019, 2:55 pm I'd assume she just walks out of the room shaking her head once you get that look in your eye and start frothing at the mouth??
Pretty sure she would just move him into a room of his own containing only a lime coloured lounge
Dont delete this GE
Drandyt
Noa Nadruku

Post by Drandyt »

Matt wrote: September 18, 2019, 12:09 pm
Are you saying Olam has these traits and his lack of skill is compensated by them?
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Welease Woger!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Drandyt wrote: September 18, 2019, 4:26 pm
Are you saying Olam has these traits and his lack of skill is compensated by them?
I'm saying these are traits Olam has and Scott doesn't, yes
Drandyt
Noa Nadruku

Post by Drandyt »

Matt wrote: September 18, 2019, 6:10 pm
Well Bellamy agrees with you, so he must be doing something I am not seeing
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I dont think you can doubt Scott's defensive abilities or his effort on the park

There is clearly issues there, red flags as they were... from what ive read the attitude and work ethic on the training paddock are a problem, and yeah he freelances a bit, which probably doesnt suit Bellemy but perhaps given Stuart has dealt with Beej for so long he's a little more OK with it.

I dunno, the more i think about it, the more i think a 2 year deal with Scott could really suit both parties if Beej and Raps are moving on.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Drandyt wrote: September 18, 2019, 6:20 pm
Matt wrote: September 18, 2019, 6:10 pm

Well Bellamy agrees with you, so he must be doing something I am not seeing
Very rare occurrence, but yes :D
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

PigRickman wrote: September 18, 2019, 7:14 pm I dont think you can doubt Scott's defensive abilities or his effort on the park

There is clearly issues there, red flags as they were... from what ive read the attitude and work ethic on the training paddock are a problem, and yeah he freelances a bit, which probably doesnt suit Bellemy but perhaps given Stuart has dealt with Beej for so long he's a little more OK with it.

I dunno, the more i think about it, the more i think a 2 year deal with Scott could really suit both parties if Beej and Raps are moving on.
Yup, talented, but knows it. Might suit us, but not really Bellyaches go
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

PigRickman wrote: September 18, 2019, 7:14 pm I dont think you can doubt Scott's defensive abilities or his effort on the park

As long as you can keep his value down. Other clubs might push it up a bit.
There'd be no secrets about what his issues are with stick and Bellamy such good mates.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah absolutely
THis is all dependent on his value being depressed. If i had to guess, i think he'll sign a fairly rich deal at a club that needs a centre and he'll be out of our price range... but its worth a phone call
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Playing in a team such as ours has to be a draw card to someone that isn't english eventually. Talk us up craig. We'll let the kids have a crack, get you in rep sides, play finals and keep you on the straight and narrow.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: September 18, 2019, 10:26 pm Playing in a team such as ours has to be a draw card to someone that isn't english eventually. Talk us up craig. We'll let the kids have a crack, get you in rep sides, play finals and keep you on the straight and narrow.
Pretty safe to say the club is more desirable to join now than at any other point in the last 10 years.

The "Ricky can't coach" stuff has died off as Jack and Cotric have gone on to Origin and players like Rapana, Charnze and Simonsson have prospered and he's got the best out of guys like Leilua. It looks like a club that will have some success and a coach that can develop players.

We can only hope that as the transport in NSW continues to crumble, that our plentiful cycle paths will shine all the brighter.

We'll have to wait and see how the outside backs and Sezer situation shakes out. I suspect Sezer will just want to focus on this year, enjoy his footy, taste success and worry about it all after the GF. Best result for all concerned if he can keep doing that as he is.

After that we'll know what we have in the kitty to go after a high energy/impact prop (Sutton and Lui can do the Mr Reliable act) and potentially an outside back.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Plus the new centre of excellence will be done early next year

Won't be training in a rundown old facility anymroe

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Off field concerns re. scott deeply concern me. Rick has spoken about how this is the tightest group he has ever coached and dont underestimate the impact that is having on the field. Does it mean a kid like scott wouldnt fit in. No it doesnt, but youd need to be confident that he can buy into the culture.

Jack bird is someone who apparently works damn hard off the field. I recall seibel saying at the start of the year that he was the one player he expected to dominate, only for the kid to do his acl. There in lies his kryptonite - injuries. But then i think about tedesco, bloke couldnt string 3 games of footy together without spending some time on the pine, but now he looks invincible.

FTR im not saying that we should get bird and shunt scott, im just saying that we need to keep targetting blokes who are going to committ off the field and buy into our team first mentality
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah its a fair call
With the culture we're trying to build here, any player you bring in here has to be someone you are confident will buy in to what is going on here.
No idea if Scott is that guy
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Zac Woolford released by Knights (along with four others).

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 306a096796
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

player merry go round might shuffle something out that suits us
Edrick The Entertainer