Raiders player signing speculation 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Raiders_Pat »

As for us it would be good to pick up an experienced middle for a bench impact role I reckon, our forward pack is solid but wouldn't hurt to add that competition for spots if we can
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Raiders_Pat wrote: August 18, 2019, 9:47 am As for us it would be good to pick up an experienced middle for a bench impact role I reckon, our forward pack is solid but wouldn't hurt to add that competition for spots if we can
Yeah couldn't hurt. Should always look to freshen up the squad each off season.

Sutton isn't suited to the bench and that could become an issue if he can't force a start.

Tapine could be excellent at that role of impact middle but is more than capable of starting too (or reaching the point where his ill discipline makes the cost: benefit a big question).
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: August 18, 2019, 1:26 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: August 18, 2019, 9:47 am As for us it would be good to pick up an experienced middle for a bench impact role I reckon, our forward pack is solid but wouldn't hurt to add that competition for spots if we can

Sutton isn't suited to the bench and that could become an issue if he can't force a start.

Tapine could be excellent at that role of impact middle but is more than capable of starting too (or reaching the point where his ill discipline makes the cost: benefit a big question).
I still think the guy could be anything, but, i agree with this
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I agree with your points above. For mine, our best starting middle combo is Papalii Tapine, Sutton. With Soliola and Horsburgh our first cabs off the rank. Sia has been immense starting but he is great in any role. And I love the big fiery red head having him on the field at the same time to learn off.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Wiki Special wrote: August 19, 2019, 2:41 pm

I agree with your points above. For mine, our best starting middle combo is Papalii Tapine, Sutton. With Soliola and Horsburgh our first cabs off the rank. Sia has been immense starting but he is great in any role. And I love the big fiery red head having him on the field at the same time to learn off.
I agree with that too.
I actually think having Papa and Sia separate keeps our go forward through the middle of the game. That said, if horse is going to come off the bench and dominate packs like he did vs Storm, maybe its lees of an issue. I still think Sutton is better as a bigger min middle, but 98m and 16 tackles in 33mins vs Storm is a very good shift.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Matt wrote: August 19, 2019, 2:47 pm

I agree with that too.
I actually think having Papa and Sia separate keeps our go forward through the middle of the game. That said, if horse is going to come off the bench and dominate packs like he did vs Storm, maybe its lees of an issue. I still think Sutton is better as a bigger min middle, but 98m and 16 tackles in 33mins vs Storm is a very good shift.
I'm with you there mate. Sutton is the type of player who thrives on the old softening up period too (think his effort in the Tigers shutout). I'd bring Sia and Horsburgh on around the 25 minute mark for Sutton and Tapine and the third middle for Papa at the 30 minute mark.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Wiki Special wrote: August 19, 2019, 2:54 pm
Matt wrote: August 19, 2019, 2:47 pm

I agree with that too.
I'm with you there mate. Sutton is the type of player who thrives on the old softening up period too (think his effort in the Tigers shutout). I'd bring Sia and Horsburgh on around the 25 minute mark for Sutton and Tapine and the third middle for Papa at the 30 minute mark.
:thumbsup
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Dunamis Lui has been excellent this season, criminally underrated
Edrick The Entertainer
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

He's only ever been good. Was slow after knee surgery but was always good
bonehead wrote:Dunamis Lui has been excellent this season, criminally underrated
Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

bonehead wrote: August 19, 2019, 5:00 pm Dunamis Lui has been excellent this season, criminally underrated
Lui has been great. Our 15, 16, 17 in the Finals could be Soliola, Horsburgh, Lui. That is brilliant. Then Young and Havili waiting in the wings. Incredible depth considering Guler and Murchie are only options in case of emergency.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Will Guler and Murchie ‘kick on’ or ‘move on’?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Guler I can see kicking on but he seems more of a late bloomer compared to Horse. Still has 2 years left on his current deal.
Murchie was somehow defending better earlier on but now that he's put on a bit of size he's not as reliable. Maybe he needs to move to lock next year but I don't think he'll stay past his current 2 year deal.
A lot of improvement can happen in a pre-season with the younger guys.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

bonehead wrote:Dunamis Lui has been excellent this season, criminally underrated
Correct, has run hard and defended well all year, sucks at stripping tho lol

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

zim wrote:Guler I can see kicking on but he seems more of a late bloomer compared to Horse. Still has 2 years left on his current deal.
Murchie was somehow defending better earlier on but now that he's put on a bit of size he's not as reliable. Maybe he needs to move to lock next year but I don't think he'll stay past his current 2 year deal.
I don't see anyone picking Murchie up for first grade tbh

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lots of time for Murchie to develop. They’ve made him a bit too big this year.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Matt wrote: August 19, 2019, 2:26 pm

I still think the guy could be anything, but, i agree with this
By "the guy" are we talking Tapine? If so, he's not the type of player I'd be relegating to an interchange spot. I understand bench guys play an important role in today's game but they're still on shorter minutes than starters for the most part... You want guys on starting salaries in starting roles or at least on starting minutes. He's in the 13 or bust for me.

I honestly think we aren't using him to the best of his ability at lock and need to find a way to get him time at second row. There are a few clubs in the NRL who could use a player of his calibre at second row imo.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

greeneyed wrote:Lots of time for Murchie to develop. They’ve made him a bit too big this year.
I see him being a very good player by late next season but he's going to have a lot of traffic in our forwards if Hetherington does come.
Hors, Havili, Guler, Young, Hetherington and murchie for probably 2/3 spots.
I've got Papa, Tapine and Sutton starting middles next season with Lui first bench.
Depends on Sia I suppose.
Lui
Sia/Hetherington
Hors/Hetherington
Havili/Young/Guler/Murchie
Edrick The Entertainer
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

-TW- wrote: August 19, 2019, 11:19 pm
zim wrote:Guler I can see kicking on but he seems more of a late bloomer compared to Horse. Still has 2 years left on his current deal.
I don't see anyone picking Murchie up for first grade tbh

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk
I can, cheaply anyway. Few current second rowers moving on or into the middle atm and he’s a young player with good pedigree who for, what I’ve seen is one of the best forwards in the nsw cup.

There’s a bit of a dearth or gun backrowers, like centre sand halves atm in the NRL as it is.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We’d be mad to let him go.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Yes and no. I think we’d be pricks to stand in his way if he got a first grade opportunity while he’s behind Bateman, Whitehead, Tapine and Young.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

sprintman wrote: August 19, 2019, 8:09 pm Will Guler and Murchie ‘kick on’ or ‘move on’?
I think both will get every chance to kick on. I rate Murchie higher than Guler but might be in the minority there. In reality though, we have gone from looking thin in the forwards to having tremendous depth. Hetherington is a great signing for next year, I think he'll play some First Grade in 2020.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: August 20, 2019, 9:07 am We’d be mad to let him go.
They really need to nail down what role he should be playing in the pre-season. If they/he want to keep him at his current size I think he needs to move inward to lock.
Trimming down a bit would help his decisions under fatigue. Although maybe he just gets fitter from another pre-season and his size isn't as much of an issue in 2020.

If we can't hold onto him for cheap or if he got an offer I wouldn't stand in his way. He hasn't played any significant role this year and we have a lot of 2nd row talent with the emergence of Hudson Young. We've been able to move one of our best 2nd rowers into the middle in Tapine.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

He can go coach the Knights...
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

sprintman wrote:
co-coach with Brennan?
Edrick The Entertainer
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

bonehead wrote: August 20, 2019, 5:24 pm
sprintman wrote:
co-coach with Brennan?
Good point
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

My position on this is unchanged.
These guys have limited time in the game and limited chances.

These players will find a way to out anyways, it's how it works now. No point standing in the way. If Guler or Murchie get offers elsewhere and want to go, they'll get out whether we like it or not.

Guler in particular is someone im very high on and i'd like to see the club really focus on trying to get these guys buying into what's happening here. We've got Sia and Lui in our front row rotation right now. Sia is working year to year, and Lui has improved and is now a good player for us, but if im running the club i'd be saying to someone like Guler "if you're as good as you and we think you are, you'll easily jump him in our pecking order"

Focus on making these guys see there is a roadmap for them to be in the FG team. If they dont see that, then they'll leave regardless of the contractual situation (as they should), and if we get to that point, i favour engaging their team of choice to strike the best deal for us to allow them to leave.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

PigRickman wrote: August 20, 2019, 7:52 pm My position on this is unchanged.
These guys have limited time in the game and limited chances.

These players will find a way to out anyways, it's how it works now. No point standing in the way. If Guler or Murchie get offers elsewhere and want to go, they'll get out whether we like it or not.

Guler in particular is someone im very high on and i'd like to see the club really focus on trying to get these guys buying into what's happening here. We've got Sia and Lui in our front row rotation right now. Sia is working year to year, and Lui has improved and is now a good player for us, but if im running the club i'd be saying to someone like Guler "if you're as good as you and we think you are, you'll easily jump him in our pecking order"

Focus on making these guys see there is a roadmap for them to be in the FG team. If they dont see that, then they'll leave regardless of the contractual situation (as they should), and if we get to that point, i favour engaging their team of choice to strike the best deal for us to allow them to leave.
I agree. The youth, Guler, Murchie, Kris, Shields and Co, need to be told that there is a way in if they perform. Be too good to keep out. Earn your spot.
Lui is liked by the coaches, but surely, whith Horsburgh and Young coming on this yr, his spot will be up for grabs next yr.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Shields is too young to be in this convo imo, he's still on the come up.
I think Kris is a real player, and i think Guler is going to a VERY good FGer... Murchie has a load of talent and enough of a run on the baord to get other teams interested

Those guys will attract attention from clubs in need of building around youth. If we dont make them feel like there is a path, they'll leave. This is now a use it or lose it league, contracts mean nothing.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Kris: still done nothing in FG whilst Cotric and Simonsson and Hors look like FG'ers. I don't think he'll have a career. Can go if he wants more than minimum.

Guler: looks steady. Might get a top 30 contract at another club. Worth holding onto. Still showing promise.

Murchie: Oldest of our forward young guns but has shown the least. If it came down to it I'd be tossing up between him and Young and Guler to let go first... Murchie would be first out the door. I'd rather offer him near minimum and keep the cap for others.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by gangrenous »

julian87 wrote:Yes and no. I think we’d be pricks to stand in his way if he got a first grade opportunity while he’s behind Bateman, Whitehead, Tapine and Young.
If we do go deep in the finals this year, which we should. We’re going to have a problem with salary cap, and keeping the squad fresh. I’d be seeing if anyone wanted Tapine at a reasonable price (which they should, he’s a good player). Because we need to find a way to free up some cap, and have pathways through to keep competition for spots.

We failed to do that in 2017. Upgraded everybody in the core and had to discard the players in the second tier to stay cap compliant. It left us with players with no pressure for spots. I think that’s less of a problem next year because it wasn’t simply complacency in 2017, but more the game moving on from behemoths like Boyd/Paulo (But we had no first grade quality alternatives to switch in for team balance). Still, I think we have mistakes there to learn from in roster management. It’s why Rapana can’t have a huge contract this time as much as I love him. It would cause us to lose too much in the outside back depth.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

If we insist on playing Tapine in the middle, then i complete agree with the above.
If we get Bateman into lock and roll with him on the edges, i'd hang on to him and let the kids walk instead.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

PigRickman wrote: August 20, 2019, 9:08 pm If we insist on playing Tapine in the middle, then i complete agree with the above.
If we get Bateman into lock and roll with him on the edges, i'd hang on to him and let the kids walk instead.
Agreed. There are plenty of clubs that would benefit with Tapine in his preferred position at second row... if we're not gonna accommodate for that here I think it's our best option moving forward.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Raiders_Pat wrote: August 21, 2019, 8:42 am
PigRickman wrote: August 20, 2019, 9:08 pm If we insist on playing Tapine in the middle, then i complete agree with the above.
Agreed. There are plenty of clubs that would benefit with Tapine in his preferred position at second row... if we're not gonna accommodate for that here I think it's our best option moving forward.
Sorry I can't agree with that.

We've had our best season defensively with the two Poms on the edges. I don't understand this push for Bateman to lock.

Tapine is perfect for the middle because he offers a variation to our other middle forwards with his footwork, speed and ability to offload.He also has size - which you can't coach.

I don't think his lateral defence is great for the edges and I suspect that is what Cappy and Ricky think too.

No chance we should be letting Tapine go.

He needs an injury and suspension free season and we'll see his consistent best IMO.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

GreenMachine wrote: August 21, 2019, 9:44 am

We've had our best season defensively with the two Poms on the edges. I don't understand this push for Bateman to lock.

Tapine is perfect for the middle because he offers a variation to our other middle forwards with his footwork, speed and ability to offload.He also has size - which you can't coach.

I don't think his lateral defence is great for the edges and I suspect that is what Cappy and Ricky think too.

He needs an injury and suspension free season and we'll see his consistent best IMO.
My thoughts exactly on all points.

The Bateman to lock is interesting. Have seen people point to the great form he was in at that position. He has played 2 games there out of 17 or so matches.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

GreenMachine wrote: August 21, 2019, 9:44 am

Spot on.

The only factor I agree with for Bateman moving to the 13 is he MAY get his hands on the ball more often, but his ball playing on the edges is golden, so leave it be.