Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by The Nickman »

Has... has NR just had a stroke??
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Nickman wrote: November 21, 2019, 3:26 pm Has... has NR just had a stroke??
Wait, this isn't the cricket thread? :shock:

Admins can we please change the topic heading so my post looks OK and the other 2400 posts are wrong?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
daley6
David Grant
Favourite Player: campo

Post by daley6 »

Can we pass up on Scott keep BJ and put Semi Radradra outside him??
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

daley6 is back!! It's been a while!!
daley6
David Grant
Favourite Player: campo

Post by daley6 »

hahaha it sure has been , I wasnt going to post until we got our 6 again , but anyhoo
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

daley6 wrote: November 22, 2019, 9:15 am Can we pass up on Scott keep BJ and put Semi Radradra outside him??
Semi said he isnt interested in coming back. Read a fox article today.

EDIT:
Found it:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-ru ... 078c89fba9
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Fox has put out a list of unsigned players for next yr. Most you wouldnt even look at, however, there are a couple that would be worth looking at IMO. If we were thin at wing last yr, I think its worse with Rapa going, even if Valemi joins the squad.

WING:
Gideon Gela-Mosby - We still look light on in the depth winger department. This guy can really fly. I know there are off field issues at play, but he looked really good til he broke his collarbone last yr for Cows.

Greg Leleisiuao - This guy was the new Semi at Eels before Sivo jumped him him the pecking order. I dont know why he didnt get a run for Eels (maybe some can fill me in), but his u20s numbers a couple of yrs ago were crazy good. He is a genuine tackle busting, try scoring winger. I think as depth he would be a min wage depth option.

Tristain Sailor - This kid looks like he can play. Not big like his dad, but rather more athletically elusive. Not a min wage guy, nor likely to wanna sit all yr.

HALF:
Te Maire Martin - He was relegated to Cowboys depth before the bleed on the brain, which is a scary health concern, and a gamble for sport. However, if we are saying Hingano is our 4th half, and 4th hooker option ATM, this guy is better. Not sure if you would get him on min wage though.

Jai Field - Again, surely is a better 4th half option than Hingano. But only on min wage. Can play FB too.

PROP:
Lachlan Timm - apparently a train an trial at Bronx. Uuuummm... why is the NSW Cup's best prop (at least statistically) from 2019 not been signed outright? I would have said you throw this guy a top 30 spot, even min wage, and I reckon he signs. I know we have good middle depth, but who knows, maybe he is better?!?

*HOOKER:
*= not really looking at either of these guys, BUT...
Billy Brittian - IMO, he is better than Robson who went to Cows. He is too good to be sitting behind an 80min guy. Im surprised no one has picked this guy up. Did Warriors sign a hooker? If not, thats where he should go - would have said Knights, but they took Brailey. Dogs are running with JMK right?!? Coz that would be another landing spot. Maybe Tigz? Who are they running next yr, Liddle?

Zac Woolford unsigned by Knights. I reckon you'd get a cheap deal with ties to the club, but his prospects here are still 2nd/ 3rd hooker at best (we will go with Havili and Starling). [*Not really looking at this one, more an interest/ Raiders links thing.]

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... hpfcxRfrVQ
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Gideon Gela-Mosby I'm not a fan of. He's quick but he lacks awareness and is poor off the field.
Greg Leleisiuao apparently has big behavioral issues.
Tristain Sailor won't be let go by St George but would be a good pick up.

Lachlan Timm is the only guy from that list that might be a shot if he doesn't continue on at the broncos.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We only have one top 30 place left... two if Sezer leaves.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: November 27, 2019, 11:28 am We only have one top 30 place left... two if Sezer leaves.
Top 30 is defined by pay cheque, and is updated a few times between now and Rd 1 GE.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt wrote: November 27, 2019, 1:11 pm
greeneyed wrote: November 27, 2019, 11:28 am We only have one top 30 place left... two if Sezer leaves.
Top 30 is defined by pay cheque, and is updated a few times between now and Rd 1 GE.
But they can only have 30 these days... or development players... or they’re on Mounties contracts. That was how the rules worked for the top 25. The squad isn’t far from being full.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Matt wrote: November 27, 2019, 10:12 am Fox has put out a list of unsigned players for next yr. Most you wouldnt even look at, however, there are a couple that would be worth looking at IMO. If we were thin at wing last yr, I think its worse with Rapa going, even if Valemi joins the squad.

WING:
Gideon Gela-Mosby - We still look light on in the depth winger department. This guy can really fly. I know there are off field issues at play, but he looked really good til he broke his collarbone last yr for Cows.

Greg Leleisiuao - This guy was the new Semi at Eels before Sivo jumped him him the pecking order. I dont know why he didnt get a run for Eels (maybe some can fill me in), but his u20s numbers a couple of yrs ago were crazy good. He is a genuine tackle busting, try scoring winger. I think as depth he would be a min wage depth option.

Tristain Sailor - This kid looks like he can play. Not big like his dad, but rather more athletically elusive. Not a min wage guy, nor likely to wanna sit all yr.

HALF:
Te Maire Martin - He was relegated to Cowboys depth before the bleed on the brain, which is a scary health concern, and a gamble for sport. However, if we are saying Hingano is our 4th half, and 4th hooker option ATM, this guy is better. Not sure if you would get him on min wage though.

Jai Field - Again, surely is a better 4th half option than Hingano. But only on min wage. Can play FB too.

PROP:
Lachlan Timm - apparently a train an trial at Bronx. Uuuummm... why is the NSW Cup's best prop (at least statistically) from 2019 not been signed outright? I would have said you throw this guy a top 30 spot, even min wage, and I reckon he signs. I know we have good middle depth, but who knows, maybe he is better?!?

*HOOKER:
Billy Brittian - IMO, he is better than Robson who went to Cows. He is too good to be sitting behind an 80min guy. Im surprised no one has picked this guy up. Did Warriors sign a hooker? If not, thats where he should go - would have said Knights, but they took Brailey. Dogs are running with JMK right?!? Coz that would be another landing spot. Maybe Tigz? Who are they running next yr, Liddle?

Zac Woolford unsigned by Knights. I reckon you'd get a cheap deal with ties to the club, but his prospects here are still 2nd/ 3rd hooker at best (we will go with Havili and Starling). [*Not really looking at this one, more an interest/ Raiders links thing.]

FWIW I reckon the best outside back on that unsigned list is Brenko.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

So it's top 26 with 4 development players to make 30 and they are eligible after June 30 ? Or 30 plus the 4 after June 30 ?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Neeeegz wrote: November 27, 2019, 4:39 pm So it's top 26 with 4 development players to make 30 and they are eligible after June 30 ? Or 30 plus the 4 after June 30 ?
I believe the rules are at least 24 at november 1, 29 before kick off, 30 by June 30. Up to 6 development players can be signed any time but only play first grade after June 30.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You have 30 top squad players, plus development players (six).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: November 27, 2019, 5:00 pm
Neeeegz wrote: November 27, 2019, 4:39 pm So it's top 26 with 4 development players to make 30 and they are eligible after June 30 ? Or 30 plus the 4 after June 30 ?
I believe the rules are at least 24 at november 1, 29 before kick off, 30 by June 30. Up to 6 development players can be signed any time but only play first grade after June 30.
I believe that’s correct.

https://www.nrl.com/operations/integrity/salary-cap/
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Cheers, thanks fellas, was wondering because it takes the squad higher than 30, even tho clubs can hold that spot until June 30 to sign a last minute signing, then the development players become available, so I was thinking the cap is changed after then to allow them to join the 30 man squad.. maybe it's 32 or 34 now after those players make it ?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The cap isn't changed and the top 30 isn't changed. They can call on the development players without exemption after 30 June... but I think the idea is they would call on the top 30 players first if possible. The Raiders got special permission from the NRL to play Starling before 30 June this year due to no other hooker being available at the time.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

zim wrote: November 27, 2019, 10:29 am Gideon Gela-Mosby I'm not a fan of. He's quick but he lacks awareness and is poor off the field.
I am also not a fan of Gela-Mosby. Has a pea sized heart. Anyone else remember him giving up the chase on James Roberts in a Cowboys v Broncos game in 2018? Literally stopped trying 2-3 steps into his chase.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Vunivalu to Rugby...wow, Storm have lost a few outside backs lately?
Are they gearing up for BJ?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I reckon they are going to have a crack at Mitchell.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

These great Polynesian rugby league wingers keep going to Union, but never look like they enjoy their football once they get there.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Vunivalu will reportedly leave at the end of 2020. They wont have enough cap space to sign Mitchell next season, although they'll have a crapload of space for 2021.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

BJ wrote: December 3, 2019, 4:32 pm These great Polynesian rugby league wingers keep going to Union, but never look like they enjoy their football once they get there.
Given Marika Koroibete has just been announced as the best player in Australian Rugby, these guys have a lot of pressure to perform. When Vunivalu joins the Reds he'll almost certainly become their best player. Their squad is a bunch of dead set nobodies. Tough gig for a winger.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Seiffert82 wrote: December 3, 2019, 4:39 pm
BJ wrote: December 3, 2019, 4:32 pm These great Polynesian rugby league wingers keep going to Union, but never look like they enjoy their football once they get there.
Given Marika Koroibete has just been announced as the best player in Australian Rugby, these guys have a lot of pressure to perform. When Vunivalu joins the Reds he'll almost certainly become their best player. Their squad is a bunch of dead set nobodies. Tough gig for a winger.
Still probably a quarter of his workload in League though.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

edwahu wrote: December 3, 2019, 4:45 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: December 3, 2019, 4:39 pm
Still probably a quarter of his workload in League though.
He'll also have to learn how to kick the ball away.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I actually reckon there’s a big chance he’ll fail. His brain snaps won’t be tolerated in Union.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

I agree. He plays like a flog
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think he'll play for the Wallabies and be one of their absolute best players. (Assuming he's going to go down the route of making himself available for the Aus team)

Not because he'll be particularly good at RU, but because he's a better athlete than virtually every RU outside back in the country and history tells us even decent NRL backs go to RU and are stars. Which ultimately speaks to the quality of talent and where RU as code stands in this country. A position that suits it well given it is an absolute dog of a game who anyone with talent should be paid extremely well to bother playing
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by ALX22 »

julian87 wrote: November 27, 2019, 3:56 pm
Matt wrote: November 27, 2019, 10:12 am Fox has put out a list of unsigned players for next yr. Most you wouldnt even look at, however, there are a couple that would be worth looking at IMO. If we were thin at wing last yr, I think its worse with Rapa going, even if Valemi joins the squad.

WING:

HALF:

PROP:

*HOOKER:

FWIW I reckon the best outside back on that unsigned list is Brenko.
Signed by Easts Tigers and will do the pre-season with Melbourne.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Reports in the Telegraph that the NRL is going to sign off on Burgess getting a 10 year contract paying 360k per year as a football administrator, thereby allowing them to sign Arrow.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: December 3, 2019, 9:54 pm Reports in the Telegraph that the NRL is going to sign off on Burgess getting a 10 year contract paying 360k per year as a football administrator, thereby allowing them to sign Arrow.
If true, an absolute disgrace.

Clubs are now signing players to large long term contracts, knowing the NRL will agree to medically retire players and allow them to take jobs in administration outside the salary cap.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I agree. This whole concept of medically retire players is a sham. It encourages clubs to sign players on extended contracts because so long as the injury was incurred after signing their salary can be excluded from the cap. It also forces high profile players to exit the game prematurely... like matt gilet for instance.

There are no surprises when you consider the clubs who are benefiting from it.. manly, broncos, bunnies... where was talk of this nonsence when campo went down with 4 years on his contract?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

FROG wrote:I agree. This whole concept of medically retire players is a sham. It encourages clubs to sign players on extended contracts because so long as the injury was incurred after signing their salary can be excluded from the cap. It also forces high profile players to exit the game prematurely... like matt gilet for instance.

There are no surprises when you consider the clubs who are benefiting from it.. manly, broncos, bunnies... where was talk of this nonsence when campo went down with 4 years on his contract?
I think you'll find the opposite is true with Manly. They were forced to take the Cap hit when Brett Stewart and Steve Matai could no longer play.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Parramatta got away with it with Watmough a couple of years ago.
His contract was removed from 2017 and 2018 cap.
It was one of the dumbest contracts ever handed out and they should have been punished, but it was also like when you let your younger brother cheat at monopoly because you know he’s too dumb to win anyway.

That decision is now being repeated.
Watmough had a clear Pre-existing injury and he retired as he was now a spud and couldn’t play. He didn’t get paid out by insurance (because Pre-existing) so Parramatta had to pay it, but it was still removed from the cap.

Virtually the same thing with Burgess.
The only difference with Burgess is that the bunnies have done a deal with Sam for a plum job for 10 years instead of large upfront payout.
Good business, but same result on the cap.