Raiders player signing speculation 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Botman »

Yep, absolutely agree. One of the things that never gets spoke about at clubs like the roosters and storm who are up there every year is they balance the turnover/continuity thing really well, there is always fresh faces but enough continuity to maintain the structures and system in place.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

If you can't beat em, join em.

When is Sticks golf day?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

gergreg wrote: October 8, 2019, 9:14 pm If you can't beat em, join em.

When is Sticks golf day?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Surely it will be packed with terrible gamblers/golfers this year?

Seriously though I would hope that a lot more TPAs get done for our players as a result of the grand final.
KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

Fox NRL are reporting Raiders are shopping around Jack Murchie (and Sam Williams).

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/exile- ... 9a6ed7720c
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

KasparRaider wrote:Fox NRL are reporting Raiders are shopping around Jack Murchie (and Sam Williams).

Interesting, I see Patrick Mago is looking for a new club. I don’t mind him, he would be a good pick up
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

LastRaider wrote: October 9, 2019, 11:34 am
KasparRaider wrote:Fox NRL are reporting Raiders are shopping around Jack Murchie (and Sam Williams).

Interesting, I see Patrick Mago is looking for a new club. I don’t mind him, he would be a good pick up
He'd be handy. Hetherington coming in too. We'd have to lose one of Tapine, Sutton, Lui, Guler surely for it to make sense though. I'd happily swap Lui or Sutton for him but I think Lui has 2 years to run.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote: October 9, 2019, 1:39 pm

He'd be handy. Hetherington coming in too. We'd have to lose one of Tapine, Sutton, Lui, Guler surely for it to make sense though. I'd happily swap Lui or Sutton for him but I think Lui has 2 years to run.
Lui just won the coaches award. Can't see him being moved if his contract value is as estimated.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

We need to do a Roosters or Broncos and release Lui to free up $1.5 million per season from our salary cap.

We can then sign Paas, Ponga and Tedesco who are happy to accept minimum wage contracts just to play for the Raiders.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

BadnMean wrote:

Yeah I think your right. But I don’t think he would cost a lot. Be probably around $150 to $200k a season
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

The Raiders would have to be a destination club at the moment...Looking forward to more speculation
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Raiders666 wrote: October 9, 2019, 3:57 pm The Raiders would have to be a destination club at the moment...Looking forward to more speculation
Yeah our stocks in recruiting would be higher than at any stage over the last 20 years surely when you look at coach- backroom- facilities- winning team- # km of cycle paths.

We'll have to see who leaves to find out if we have $$$ to spend. I don't think we'll have a huge war chest but we might be in the type of situation where the middle range players all want to come here to be part of something or kickstart/reignite their career and become more affordable rather than having to pay overs to lure them here.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Jai Arrow will do. Get it done
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Raiders666 wrote: October 9, 2019, 3:57 pm The Raiders would have to be a destination club at the moment...Looking forward to more speculation
Muppet season is so much more fun when you're going good, isn't it
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Is there a chance that success brings more potential for TPAs?
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

MrPosh wrote: October 10, 2019, 6:27 am
Is there a chance that success brings more potential for TPAs?
You would think so wouldn't you? Let's hope so because I doubt we have a lot of spare cash to spend after the success of this season
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

afgtnk wrote: October 9, 2019, 8:12 pm
Muppet season is so much more fun when you're going good, isn't it
Haha most definitely
thegreenmachine
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by thegreenmachine »

does anyone know what the cap for TPA's are in total?
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by LastRaider »

thegreenmachine wrote:does anyone know what the cap for TPA's are in total?
There isn’t a cap, a player can earn as much as they want for paid promotional activities however the NRL is cracking down on it.

In the past, sponsors would sign a TPA and advise that the player just has to post x amount of instagrams etc, as the sponsor didn’t really care, they were just doing it to help the club and being in the boys club.

However it has all changed, the NRL are auditing TPA’s to ensure plausible requirements that provide a benefit to the sponsor are being actioned properly and to an appropriate value. ie $100k to post 10 Instagram photo’s doesn’t cut it anymore
thegreenmachine
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by thegreenmachine »

thanks for the reply. i'm surprised there is no cap at all.

Essentially with the $9+ million for the salary cap for players, the TPAs could bump that up several million dollars if there were "sponsors" willing to help.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

thegreenmachine wrote: October 10, 2019, 10:35 am thanks for the reply. i'm surprised there is no cap at all.

Essentially with the $9+ million for the salary cap for players, the TPAs could bump that up several million dollars if there were "sponsors" willing to help.
Yes, indeed. The last figures provided by the NRL... which was dragged out them while they kicked and screamed... showed the Storm had $1 million in total, the Broncos $800,000 and the teams with the least had virtually none. The Raiders had about $300,000.

So effectively, the Storm and Broncos have space for an extra marquee player.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Can we use Chinese businessmen for tpas like the labor party ? Asking for a friend..

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

greeneyed wrote:
thegreenmachine wrote: October 10, 2019, 10:35 am thanks for the reply. i'm surprised there is no cap at all.

Yes, indeed. The last figures provided by the NRL... which was dragged out them while they kicked and screamed... showed the Storm had $1 million in total, the Broncos $800,000 and the teams with the least had virtually none. The Raiders had about $300,000.

So effectively, the Storm and Broncos have space for an extra marquee player.
Yeah that would be right. I remember being told a couple years back that Billy Slater’s TPA’s were bigger than his Storm salary. Slater picked up his own agreements and he needed the Storm as much as they needed him.

This is very rare though that this happens. Andrew Johns was another example of this scenario where he picked up a lifetime Nike deal.
KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

Good for a Friday laugh. Gotta love the Betoota boys.

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/breakin ... -signings/
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

What a wild ride to end the season! Took a bit of a break from the forum over the last couple weeks so I could enjoy the experience of the prelim in Canberra and my first ever GF - the atmosphere at these two games was incredible. Never experienced anything like it in my life as a Raiders fan... I was 2 years old the last time we made it this far.

On the re-signings, I think we should be doing everything we can to keep Leilua - I'd hate to see him go. There aren't many centres at his level in the comp and he gives our team so much go-forward. The talk of him ruining the GF is madness... it's mainly people who weren't following our games closely through the regular season who have been making these comments anyway. I wouldn't want to be paying overs for Rapana and honestly would not mind if we can't retain him due to his asking price. He's a great winger and forms a good combo with Leilua, but good wingers are a dime a dozen. Simonsson would do a fine job stepping in to his role. Not worth paying overs imo, he didn't have a great season and looks like he's showing signs of ageing.

As for Sezer, I hope he finds a contract elsewhere so we have a bit more room to move cap-wise. It's clear we're looking to go in a different direction with George Williams coming in and it would be best for all parties if he can find something elsewhere. From reports, there are clubs in the UK interested in his signature but he's not keen on heading over there? I heard somewhere that the Broncos might be interested - I hope that comes to fruition.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

PigRickman wrote: October 8, 2019, 9:02 pm Yep, absolutely agree. One of the things that never gets spoke about at clubs like the roosters and storm who are up there every year is they balance the turnover/continuity thing really well, there is always fresh faces but enough continuity to maintain the structures and system in place.
I'm a big advocate for this and I've spoke on it in the two off seasons past - I think it's crucial that we have some turnover for the reasons mentioned. You need to keep your squad fresh. Not only do you not want complacency to set in (as was the case with guys like Austin and Paulo, for example), but you need to manage your cap intelligently. Guys like Rapana are deservedly going to be asking for decent coin at this end of their career - it wouldn't be the worst move to let him chase it elsewhere. Like the Roosters letting Ferguson go - it's a necessity to balance your squad, particularly when you've got others who can fill in for cheaper without losing too much.

Excited to see our moves in retention and recruitment in the off season. We've got the core of a fantastic side, if we make the right moves in this area going in to next season, there is no reason why we can't win the comp in 2020.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

So if there is no cap on third party deals doesn’t the salary cap become irrelevant? Are we saying if Politis wanted to plough millions into the roosters he can do it via third party deals with no issues? Why then were the storm done for two books? Couldn’t they have run a clean set of compliant books and topped up all the stars via third party deals?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker wrote: October 12, 2019, 10:31 pm So if there is no cap on third party deals doesn’t the salary cap become irrelevant? Are we saying if Politis wanted to plough millions into the roosters he can do it via third party deals with no issues? Why then were the storm done for two books? Couldn’t they have run a clean set of compliant books and topped up all the stars via third party deals?
Billy... you speak as if you’d not well versed in TPAS...

But genuine TPAs have to be actual third parties.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: October 12, 2019, 11:05 pm
Billy Walker wrote: October 12, 2019, 10:31 pm So if there is no cap on third party deals doesn’t the salary cap become irrelevant? Are we saying if Politis wanted to plough millions into the roosters he can do it via third party deals with no issues? Why then were the storm done for two books? Couldn’t they have run a clean set of compliant books and topped up all the stars via third party deals?
Billy... you speak as if you’d not well versed in TPAS...

But genuine TPAs have to be actual third parties.
Yeah I honestly don’t understand it and probably should stop being lazy and have a google.

My question is - you’re a mad keen raiders man, and your your business is also turning a crazy profit so you find yourself in Don Furners office discussing how best you can use some of your spare cash to support the Raiders. Wouldn’t Don have the ability to steer you inside or outside the cap? Ie - your $800k a year will buy you a shorts sponsorship. We declare it with the NRL and its part of our cap. Alternatively I’ll give you the numbers for the managers of Mr Bateman and Mr Papa - you won’t have a relationship with the club but feel free to use logos and colours in all your advertising and the lads will love to star in your commercials with their friends etc. You will provide 2 x $400k TPAs outside the cap and the club thanks you.

Is that roughly how it works or do I really need to get google happening?
Velda
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Velda »

I don’t think they can be in Raiders gear in the advertising, it has to be completely separated. But could be wrong...
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Velda wrote: October 13, 2019, 5:48 am I don’t think they can be in Raiders gear in the advertising, it has to be completely separated. But could be wrong...
How does the NRL ensure clubs aren’t funding TPAs? For instance the storm pay Fred’s law mowing $1m a year to maintain the small nature strip out the front of Storm HQ and “coincidentally” Fred’s mowing has a $980k/season TPA with Cameron Smith. There must be a lot of that going on? Surely the clubs getting caught for cap breaches and two sets of books are the ones doing it wrong?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Billy Walker wrote: October 13, 2019, 6:30 am
Velda wrote: October 13, 2019, 5:48 am I don’t think they can be in Raiders gear in the advertising, it has to be completely separated. But could be wrong...
How does the NRL ensure clubs aren’t funding TPAs? For instance the storm pay Fred’s law mowing $1m a year to maintain the small nature strip out the front of Storm HQ and “coincidentally” Fred’s mowing has a $980k/season TPA with Cameron Smith. There must be a lot of that going on? Surely the clubs getting caught for cap breaches and two sets of books are the ones doing it wrong?
Every TPA has to be registered. Ridiculous TPAs like that wouldnt get approved.

The loophole is that a player manager can be "introduced" to potential sponsors by the club.

Really though a club run by billionaires like the Roosters wouldn't bother with TPA's because it has private money and influence easily at hand.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

edwahu wrote: October 13, 2019, 6:40 am
Billy Walker wrote: October 13, 2019, 6:30 am
Every TPA has to be registered. Ridiculous TPAs like that wouldnt get approved.

The loophole is that a player manager can be "introduced" to potential sponsors by the club.

Really though a club run by billionaires like the Roosters wouldn't bother with TPA's because it has private money and influence easily at hand.
So for instance Tedesco’s mother or wife might get paid silly money for doing next to nothing at one of Nick Politis’ car dealerships? I can see it’s a grey area.

I was trying to make sense of the AFL system the other day with its draft system and trade period that includes free agents and restricted free agents and a clubs ability to match offers to keep players. It seems fair but I think it would take me more than google to actually understand it - more like a 6 year uni degree. It does seem to create a fair amount of hype and excitement in the off-season.

Does the NRL system work or is it too bias towards the glamour big money clubs?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Also I know it’s probably only rats and mice money but I bet Cooper Cronk would have had more free coffees and lunches in 2 years at Bondi than he did the whole time he was in Melbourne. At times players would enjoy being in town where RL players aren’t recognised, but it would mean having to open the wallet a lot more. You’d expect the raiders lads would be getting a few more freebies around town this year than in previous years.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The NRL doesn't really have a system for the player market. It has a cap to stop clubs going broke but outside that it's controlled by player managers.

If you look at how talent has moved across clubs in the NRL era the market is clearly bias towards teams with easy access to a lot of private money.

Things like restricted free agency, drafts, trades etc will never fly in the NRL as the players don't think collectively and won't give up their current conditions. Even something that's beneficial to them like publishing salaries is impossible.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

edwahu wrote: October 13, 2019, 7:08 am The NRL doesn't really have a system for the player market. It has a cap to stop clubs going broke but outside that it's controlled by player managers.

If you look at how talent has moved across clubs in the NRL era the market is clearly bias towards teams with easy access to a lot of private money.

Things like restricted free agency, drafts, trades etc will never fly in the NRL as the players don't think collectively and won't give up their current conditions. Even something that's beneficial to them like publishing salaries is impossible.
Is it getting to the point that contracts are becoming meaningless? There has been examples of where both players and clubs walk out early with no consequence or upgrade because form warrants it. It’s not even a year by year thing because we see mid season moves. I guess it all works but it seems far from perfect.