Post by nemesis »

Canberra just signing Lomax to poach his Mrs for the WNRL comp
raider 4 life
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by afgtnk »

It's our **** turn to be the vultures and prey on talented players at **** clubs.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

If we lose Leilua (looking likely but I really hope we don't) I'd much rather Cotric to right centre. Cotric has looked great when given a go in his natural position.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Be disappointing to lose Westcott, looks the goods

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

VictorTheViking wrote:Be disappointing to lose Westcott, looks the goods

we have the English test half and Clive Churchill 5/8th next year.
Edrick The Entertainer
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

And Rapa by the sounds of it.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Where is Westcott going?
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

bonehead wrote:

So whos playing in halves for mounties then??

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
PJC01
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Mullins

Post by PJC01 »

After that GF BJ can go anywhere he likes take Rapana with you.
I’m confident in simonsen and cotric on that side good young talent.
Dunamis Lui see ya mate,and havili see ya mate.
Try keep this core together if you want o build success otherwise we may not see a GF again
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Nathan Brown mentioned the Jack Hetherington signing on 360 and that he is an outstanding pick up. He mentioned Williams will make us a better side as well but it will take time.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

PJC01 wrote: October 7, 2019, 3:45 pm After that GF BJ can go anywhere he likes take Rapana with you.
I’m confident in simonsen and cotric on that side good young talent.
Dunamis Lui see ya mate,and havili see ya mate.
Try keep this core together if you want o build success otherwise we may not see a GF again
BJ busted that game open so many times in a way that no replacement player could have - as he's done consistently since he arrived at this club. He should've passed earlier to Rapa but he nearly always gets that right - just like he did when he sent Bateman inside against the Storm for the game-winner. He wasn't being selfish, as he genuinely seems to enjoy Rapa scoring more than scoring himself, so obviously thought he needed to draw the defenders in.

And Rapa played a great game. Worked hard all day and did well with the little quality ball he got, as the plan was obviously to attack left as much as possible - as it has been for most of this year.

We'll lose someone because of the cap and maybe it'll be BJ because he's on a big salary in a non-spine position - which we can cover with Cotric (and cover Cotric with Simonsson). Totally makes sense. But BJ is an excellent player and we'll be worse off for him leaving.
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

Well said Ruben
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

bonehead wrote:

Isnt Sam, Sezer, Hingano all going as well? One injury will be interesting! Hope George isn’t the flop buy.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Raiders have said they're aiming to sign Sam Williams, and at this stage they look like they'll have Sezer on the books as well. Hingano is the only player definitely moving on.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I really hope BJ stays. I agree with Ruben's comments above. He represents the way we play - the X factor, unpredictability, aggression, offloads and unorthodox manner which quality teams like the Roosters and Melbourne dislike. I'd rather him than Curtis Scott, Chambers, Lomax, Marsters, Aitken, Bird and Staggs any day. He was more dangerous than Latrell overall, although Latrell did come up with the match winning play.

What Ricky and the coaches need to do is sit him down in the off season, and try to get rid of the things from his game like what we saw in the GF and latter half of the season - giving away penalties, being out of position, better judgment to pass, no stupid **** like kneeing people after they score.

Rapana is different - I think his lost pace and lack of pace showed throughout this year, and Simonsson and Oldfield give us a better dimension.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:I really hope BJ stays. I agree with Ruben's comments above. He represents the way we play - the X factor, unpredictability, aggression, offloads and unorthodox manner which quality teams like the Roosters and Melbourne dislike. I'd rather him than Curtis Scott, Chambers, Lomax, Marsters, Aitken, Bird and Staggs any day. He was more dangerous than Latrell overall, although Latrell did come up with the match winning play.

What Ricky and the coaches need to do is sit him down in the off season, and try to get rid of the things from his game like what we saw in the GF and latter half of the season - giving away penalties, being out of position, better judgment to pass, no stupid **** like kneeing people after they score.

Rapana is different - I think his lost pace and lack of pace showed throughout this year, and Simonsson and Oldfield give us a better dimension.
How many chances and chats do you need to give BJ? This will probably be the third time he has been sat down for a chat like this
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

What's all this talk about Leilua? I thought he was excellent in the GF. Blaming him for the loss after not making a risky pass is a bit off IMO. He has a history of setting Rapa up amazingly well over the years.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 8, 2019, 8:38 am What's all this talk about Leilua? I thought he was excellent in the GF. Blaming him for the loss after not making a risky pass is a bit off IMO. He has a history of setting Rapa up amazingly well over the years.
Agree. I've posted about it in another thread so won't rehash it here.

He didn't give any penalties away in the GF. He played a very disciplined first half of the season before his neck injury and fought his way back. When he's unfit, that's when his discipline slips off and we see things like the knee drop because he was shagged/not match fit when he came back.

But he'll have a whole pre-season to get fit gain and stronger too. He was our best attacking weapon in that GF, has worked on his D, can pull off a hit. Dead set, he's our best centre bar none since Meninga and Wiki (I've got him even there, his attack is far better than Wiki as a centre) and you guys want to shuffle him on... No thanks, not for me.
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

BadnMean wrote: October 8, 2019, 10:05 am
Seiffert82 wrote: October 8, 2019, 8:38 am What's all this talk about Leilua? I thought he was excellent in the GF. Blaming him for the loss after not making a risky pass is a bit off IMO. He has a history of setting Rapa up amazingly well over the years.
Agree. I've posted about it in another thread so won't rehash it here.

He didn't give any penalties away in the GF. He played a very disciplined first half of the season before his neck injury and fought his way back. When he's unfit, that's when his discipline slips off and we see things like the knee drop because he was shagged/not match fit when he came back.

But he'll have a whole pre-season to get fit gain and stronger too. He was our best attacking weapon in that GF, has worked on his D, can pull off a hit. Dead set, he's our best centre bar none since Meninga and Wiki (I've got him even there, his attack is far better than Wiki as a centre) and you guys want to shuffle him on... No thanks, not for me.
You definitely make a good case.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

He was lauded for the play that got Bateman over vs Melbourne, which changed the entire finals series.

People have short memories, or just recall the moments that they want to.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: October 7, 2019, 9:44 pm The Raiders have said they're aiming to sign Sam Williams, and at this stage they look like they'll have Sezer on the books as well.
That would be... to be perfectly honest, ridiculous cap management imo.
If Sezer gets a gig elsewhere, no drama, but if hes on the books, you can be wasting money on Sam Williams as a 4th string half, not when there is talk of Beej/Raps and Batemen upgrade.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

greeneyed wrote:The Raiders have said they're aiming to sign Sam Williams, and at this stage they look like they'll have Sezer on the books as well. Hingano is the only player definitely moving on.
Williams will stay for overs. Sezer, Ohagan, Hingano and Westcott all going. Two injuries will be interesting!

Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Looks like maybe Sezer has signed with Huddersfield.... given Raps’ words after the GF, doggies going quiet on Joey and the Lomax in 2021 chatter, maybe the crew rides again (minus Sezer) next season and tries to take care of unfinished business then both Joey and Raps leave end of next year??

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/pa ... -with-sky/
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Sezer leaving is the best case scenario for both parties. Thanks for the service if you do leave. You showed your courage from your first game playing through injury for the jumper. Good luck if the Huddersfield signing goes through.

If Sezer left does it help in keeping Rapana and BJ? I mean, I know it helps but is our cap too screwed for it to matter?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Wiki Special wrote: October 8, 2019, 6:01 pm Sezer leaving is the best case scenario for both parties. Thanks for the service if you do leave. You showed your courage from your first game playing through injury for the jumper. Good luck if the Huddersfield signing goes through.

If Sezer left does it help in keeping Rapana and BJ? I mean, I know it helps but is our cap too screwed for it to matter?
I'd think one of them but probably not both. The first use for the money would have to be Batemans upgrade, then there wouldn't be a heap left after that.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

edwahu wrote: October 8, 2019, 6:11 pm
Wiki Special wrote: October 8, 2019, 6:01 pm Sezer leaving is the best case scenario for both parties. Thanks for the service if you do leave. You showed your courage from your first game playing through injury for the jumper. Good luck if the Huddersfield signing goes through.

I'd think one of them but probably not both. The first use for the money would have to be Batemans upgrade, then there wouldn't be a heap left after that.
Yeah, I'd say you're right. Bateman needs to be the priority.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I think Cotric had a sneaky average year even though he played Origin and now made the Aussie side. Decision making has a lot to be desired.

I still wouldn’t swap BJ and Rapana for any Right side combo, and the first priority should be to negotiate a deal to keep them at a reasonable price. I understand cap space and all that, but we downgrade our team if we lose either one.
rovert
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by rovert »

Thought this was good, I'll just leave it here....

https://m.betootaadvocate.com/breaking- ... -signings/

Rickvert

The last thing I remember is me saying "hold my beer and watch this".
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I thought Cotric's decision making was impeccible. Our defence on that side was so much better when he was there, he, Wighton and Croker have a really really good understanding as a unit of how to play the aggressive jamming defence.

He definitely didnt have the impact in attack this year as he did last year.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Cotric seems to have a lot of sideways intent and stop-starts his momentum.

Now that he’s a marked man, that style of attack is less effective than before.

I’d love to see him just wind up and direct his runs straight in between 2 defenders.

And if we can get away with just offloading Sezer for next season and retain BJ/Raps, then I’ll be a very happy man.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

PigRickman wrote: October 8, 2019, 7:26 pm I thought Cotric's decision making was impeccible. Our defence on that side was so much better when he was there, he, Wighton and Croker have a really really good understanding as a unit of how to play the aggressive jamming defence.

He definitely didnt have the impact in attack this year as he did last year.
Yeah I meant in attack.

Pretty sure he went double movement (clearly) twice.
Some non passes and that forward pass stuff up at magic weekend.
Still a really good player, but more than his share of stuff ups this year.

I still really love BJ, for more than just the obvious reason, and I don’t think Cotric is a straight swap in his position.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Fair enough, yeah i agree in attack his decision making was a bit dicey. Seemed to want it too much
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Nobody apart from the club knows our exact situation, but personally I think it'd be best practice to make cuts wherever and whenever you can to be as efficient as possible. Like most teams we're probably pushing the limit. Sezer would free up a good ~700k. That'd of course help in keeping them, but personally I don't think the value is there with Raps anymore, unless he's willing to take unders.

Out of the three, BJ is definitely the last one I'd like to see go.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: October 8, 2019, 8:41 pm
agree with this, i am MORE than happy to go with a CNK-Cotric-Croker-Beej-Simo backline next year...
I think a CNK-Simo-Croker-Cotric-Rapana is probably fine too but not as potent in my mind.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

PigRickman wrote: October 8, 2019, 8:46 pm
afgtnk wrote: October 8, 2019, 8:41 pm
agree with this, i am MORE than happy to go with a CNK-Cotric-Croker-Beej-Simo backline next year...
I think a CNK-Simo-Croker-Cotric-Rapana is probably fine too but not as potent in my mind.
I think squad turnover and rejuvenation also comes into play. If there's an opportunity to replace a 30 year old with a 22 year old for less money, but not much difference in performance, it can only make sense IMO - especially considering we've got a number of guys that are in or around 30. You wouldn't to keep them all around, only to have tem leave around the same time and cause an exodus.