Raiders player signing speculation 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by julian87 »

Osaka’s has been deplorable this year. It’s a no from me.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

zim wrote: September 19, 2019, 9:59 pm I wouldn't touch Matterson, Isaako or Oates.

Matterson is not coming unless it's on something he thinks is boon dollar. He hasn't shown he is really interested in any club he's been at. Plenty of talent though.
Isaako I don't rate. Doesn't provide enough in attack to cover his average defence.
Oates has got too many errors in him for the money you'd pay.
This 100%.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Lui_Bon wrote: September 19, 2019, 10:53 pm
zim wrote: September 19, 2019, 10:00 pm
Neeeegz wrote: September 19, 2019, 9:51 pm
gergreg wrote:I'd rather a Sezer trade (+ possible top up) for Isaako, Oates or TPJ.. the position we trade for is dependent on the BJ and Rapana situations. Bird is extremely unlikely to ever regain that Sharks form.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
That's what was said about tedesco with his glass knees, our staff would get the best from Bird. One year deal to prove himself.
Bird and his manager would laugh pretty hard at that as they limp out of the negotiations. He's going to get a solid deal not be pushed into our favoured terms.
There are sides worse off than us that would be very willing to take a punt.
Ya think? I'm a lot more inclined to think that most clubs will have bought into the narrative that Bird is a bust, than that all he needs is some decent medical attention, a solid rehab, and a bit of understanding of what his strengths are. We could be good for him.

What clubs are going to offer him that kind of deal? Roosters maybe, he can rehab for ages and be their next 5/8 outside Keary? Yeah I dunno. I can's see that he's got that much of a queue waiting for him...

Still not sure why we actually need him - that's a different argument about our centers.
Tigers (not happy with Marsters), Dragons (not happy with either centres), Titans (have no centres), Panthers (were starting Brett Naden for a good chunk) would all offer him more than a 1 year deal to prove himself. Leg injuries like his can be turned around and clubs will see an opportunity to do it. There's more clubs that would want him but the salary cap has left them off my list.
Last edited by zim on September 20, 2019, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

zim wrote: September 20, 2019, 11:49 am
Neeeegz wrote: September 19, 2019, 9:51 pm
gergreg wrote:I'd rather a Sezer trade (+ possible top up) for Isaako, Oates or TPJ.. the position we trade for is dependent on the BJ and Rapana situations. Bird is extremely unlikely to ever regain that Sharks form.

That's what was said about tedesco with his glass knees, our staff would get the best from Bird. One year deal to prove himself.
Bird and his manager would laugh pretty hard at that as they limp out of the negotiations. He's going to get a solid deal not be pushed into our favoured terms.
Ya think? I'm a lot more inclined to think that most clubs will have bought into the narrative that Bird is a bust, than that all he needs is some decent medical attention, a solid rehab, and a bit of understanding of what his strengths are. We could be good for him.

What clubs are going to offer him that kind of deal? Roosters maybe, he can rehab for ages and be their next 5/8 outside Keary? Yeah I dunno. I can's see that he's got that much of a queue waiting for him...

Still not sure why we actually need him - that's a different argument about our centers.
Tigers (not happy with Marsters), Dragons (not happy with either centres), Titans (have no centres), Panthers (were starting Brett Naden for a good chunk) would all offer him more than a 1 year deal to prove himself. Leg injuries like his can be turned around and clubs will see an opportunity to do it.
I thought I read somewhere last night he was going to the panthers?
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I’d rather keep Leilua
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

That's definitely my first choice. Even if we're only able to keep him for 1 more year.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

A friend of mine who is very dialled into the Panthers Organisation says that they are looking at one of Masters, Aitken and Scott for next season.

My preference would be to keep BJ, but I wouldn't be against Scott or Masters, providing we increase our cap space if we had to let BJ leave.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Neeeegz wrote: September 19, 2019, 7:22 pm Nothing official, but what about bird on a 300k contract, with Broncos paying the rest ? If Joey goes after the grand final and maybe matterson too if Rapana and sezer go

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Surprised Broncos would release him. Sure he’s out of form and injury prone but a Bird in the hand’s worth two in the bush... Same reason we shouldn’t release Starling...
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Billy Walker wrote:
Neeeegz wrote: September 19, 2019, 7:22 pm Nothing official, but what about bird on a 300k contract, with Broncos paying the rest ? If Joey goes after the grand final and maybe matterson too if Rapana and sezer go

Surprised Broncos would release him. Sure he’s out of form and injury prone but a Bird in the hand’s worth two in the bush... Same reason we shouldn’t release Starling...
He might fly the coop
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Billy Walker wrote:

One of your best Billy. And its a true reflection of the standard of your regular output.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gergreg wrote: September 20, 2019, 5:39 pm
Billy Walker wrote:

One of your best Billy. And its a true reflection of the standard of your regular output.

Ouch - I was working on it for days. Nearly worked Finch in there...
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Looks like you've run a fowl of gegerg there Billy
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Looks like toucan play at that game.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

The Kwik-e-mart is really... d'oh!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

An eagle is another type of bird.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sid wrote: September 20, 2019, 6:36 pm An eagle is another type of bird.
So is a dodo.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Oooh I've got one.

Billy, you're a goose.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gergreg wrote: September 20, 2019, 6:52 pm Oooh I've got one.

Billy, you're a goose.

What do you call a young male chicken Gergreg? Just saying 😉
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Is it a Billy Walker? Or a silly talker?

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Billy Walker wrote:
gergreg wrote: September 20, 2019, 6:52 pm Oooh I've got one.

Billy, you're a goose.

What do you call a young male chicken Gergreg? Just saying Image
A cockeral.

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

You know your teams travelling ok when it’s supporters are filling time talking rubbish for something to do second week of finals. 😎
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

sharks and broncos fans also seem to have a lot of spare time this week

Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Billy Walker wrote:You know your teams travelling ok when it’s supporters are filling time talking rubbish for something to do second week of finals. Image
Not like Bronco supporters talking rubbish regardless hey
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

reptar wrote: September 20, 2019, 6:35 pm The Kwik-e-mart is really... d'oh!
I am so smart!
S - M - R - T!
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

GreenMachine wrote: September 20, 2019, 1:24 pm A friend of mine who is very dialled into the Panthers Organisation says that they are looking at one of Masters, Aitken and Scott for next season.

My preference would be to keep BJ, but I wouldn't be against Scott or Masters, providing we increase our cap space if we had to let BJ leave.
Hahaha I bet they buy Aitken. Cleary is The Master.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

gergreg wrote:Oooh I've got one.

Billy, you're a goose.

ImageImageImageImage

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha I love you gerg
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Not an actual rumour, but you know I like to bang on about young players over here in the UK.

Jack Walker and Jake Trueman, who I've mentioned before, are both up for Young Player of the Year and another nominee is Morgan Smithies.

He's an old-style English loose forward - tough and skillful and he's 18 years of age.

On Friday night, in a finals game for Wigan against Salford, he made 72 tackles in the 62 minutes he was on the field. Those in the know suggest that his attack is even better than his defence.

His emergence in the second half of this season is one of the key reasons Wigan have been able to overcome the loss of Bateman.

One to keep an eye on, for sure.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Imagine if we come knocking on Wigan’s door again!
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Coastalraider wrote: September 20, 2019, 11:50 am
zim wrote: September 20, 2019, 11:49 am
Neeeegz wrote: September 19, 2019, 9:51 pm That's what was said about tedesco with his glass knees, our staff would get the best from Bird. One year deal to prove himself.

Tigers (not happy with Marsters), Dragons (not happy with either centres), Titans (have no centres), Panthers (were starting Brett Naden for a good chunk) would all offer him more than a 1 year deal to prove himself. Leg injuries like his can be turned around and clubs will see an opportunity to do it.
I thought I read somewhere last night he was going to the panthers?
Triple M are saying he is off to Panthers to play 5/8 with Maloney out. :lol:
Id have Bird at centre and Luai at 6
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

There is a reason I called my fantasy side the 'Wigan Raiders' this yr. @Mr Posh, make it happen :lol:
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I really appreciate how you keep us in the loop on English players, Mr Posh. Good work.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

MrPosh wrote: September 22, 2019, 11:20 pm Not an actual rumour, but you know I like to bang on about young players over here in the UK.

Jack Walker and Jake Trueman, who I've mentioned before, are both up for Young Player of the Year and another nominee is Morgan Smithies.

He's an old-style English loose forward - tough and skillful and he's 18 years of age.

On Friday night, in a finals game for Wigan against Salford, he made 72 tackles in the 62 minutes he was on the field. Those in the know suggest that his attack is even better than his defence.

His emergence in the second half of this season is one of the key reasons Wigan have been able to overcome the loss of Bateman.

One to keep an eye on, for sure.
Ok I say we recruit Morgan Smithers as you suggest and then throw the bank at young Souths winger Braidon Burns.

It would soften the loss of Leipana if we managed to have Smithers and Burns defending an edge.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Lots of talk around Rapana joining Japanese Rugby next year.
Anyone heard anything about this?
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

GreenMachine wrote: September 26, 2019, 8:31 am Lots of talk around Rapana joining Japanese Rugby next year.
Anyone heard anything about this?
Doesn’t want to but money would be good