Raiders player signing speculation 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Billy Walker »

Not seeing any value for us in any of the players released by the knights.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Zac Woolford as a backup 9, but no to the rest.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sezer, Williams and Austin among six halves NRL 360 says the Broncos should target: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1e941a07e5
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

No.
We have Havilii as a backup #9 who is better than the Knights starter, Levi. Why buy a guy who couldn't even push Levi out of a start?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:Sezer, Williams and Austin among six halves NRL 360 says the Broncos should target: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1e941a07e5
Austin is not the answer to their problems
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

It's a pretty frickin' glorious day when the Broncos are being urged to sift through Canberra's discards.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

T_R wrote: September 19, 2019, 10:45 am It's a pretty frickin' glorious day when the Broncos are being urged to sift through Canberra's discards.
Amen to that.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

T_R wrote: September 19, 2019, 10:45 am It's a pretty frickin' glorious day when the Broncos are being urged to sift through Canberra's discards.
:thumbsup

Full turnaround since the Milford poach. Ironically that is one of the moves which has backfired and led them here- along which coaches chronically unable to get the best out of Milford or understand how to use him.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Big pass on Zac Woolford. Well below NRL standard.

Why do people on GH overate so many of our juniors that go to another club?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

BadnMean wrote: September 19, 2019, 12:20 pm
:thumbsup

Full turnaround since the Milford poach. Ironically that is one of the moves which has backfired and led them here- along which coaches chronically unable to get the best out of Milford or understand how to use him.
Buzz Rothfield made the comment that Milf wouldn’t be able to crack a start in the halves or at fullback in our current lineup.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: September 19, 2019, 10:24 am No.
We have Havilii as a backup #9 who is better than the Knights starter, Levi. Why buy a guy who couldn't even push Levi out of a start?
Is Zac Woolford better than Starling though? You need 3
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

He's had some off field problems hasn't he? Starling has been talked about as a leader for Mounties. Kyle Paterson in our development group also looks very good but I can't see him playing first grade until he's at least had a full year in Mounties. Probably more like 2 years given where he lines up.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I think starling has a very good attitude and can really learn from hodgo. Another year in the top squad and he’ll be picking up offers from elsewhere id imagine which is fair enough
Dont delete this GE
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: September 19, 2019, 1:34 pm
BadnMean wrote: September 19, 2019, 10:24 am No.
Is Zac Woolford better than Starling though? You need 3
Honestly not seen enough of either to be sure. But from what I saw from Starling when he played FG, he was just fine as a #3 hooker. He did ok.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

bonehead wrote: September 19, 2019, 9:40 am player merry go round might shuffle something out that suits us
That's generally our go.

Who was the last high profile player our club has been linked to, other than the Poms? Kevin Proctor?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dr Zaius wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Sezer, Williams and Austin among six halves NRL 360 says the Broncos should target: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1e941a07e5
Austin is not the answer to their problems
They bought O'Sullivan who was meant to be pretty good and Dearden went ok. They just need to get rid of Boyd, McCullough and Bird and that is 5 million dollars worth for them to play the market (Broncos/Roosters arithmetic used here).
But poor **** Broncos, scraped into 8th and it's the end of the **** world. **** em.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Patterson way better than Starling. Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Matt wrote:Zac Woolford as a backup 9, but no to the rest.
I'd prefer starling and Havili to be honest

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

T_R wrote:It's a pretty frickin' glorious day when the Broncos are being urged to sift through Canberra's discards.
Post of the year. Makes me very happy.

Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Nothing official, but what about bird on a 300k contract, with Broncos paying the rest ? If Joey goes after the grand final and maybe matterson too if Rapana and sezer go

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Neeeegz wrote: September 19, 2019, 7:22 pm Nothing official, but what about bird on a 300k contract, with Broncos paying the rest ? If Joey goes after the grand final and maybe matterson too if Rapana and sezer go

I don't know for sure but I'd reckon Bird's knees are comparable to Campo's.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Geez, if you were a gambler a Bird for Sezer + extra cash swap sure looks bloody tempting, despite the risk. Doubt we'd entertain it though and more likely we need to free up the cap space anyway.

Broncos fans highly doubting whether he'll ever get back to his best after the injuries he's had. Not entirely sure, he is still only 24 years old.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

He has barely played a decent game in two years.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I am a gambler... and yeah that's a very interesting high variance proposition. It'd be really tempting, i dont think you lose much with the Sezer side of things because George Williams will start for us, and Sezer is an over-qualified and overpaid back up... the Jack Bird side of it could really go either way.

im a bet on talent guy. I'd probably do it just becasue the upside is huge and the risk is limited given George Williams is coming.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

The perfect scenario is George comes in, shows to be the goods and our long term halfback, we load the Broncos with Sezer when what they're really after is a creative and controlling half, further stifling them, and Bird comes in, manages to get fit and tear **** up again. He then gets back into rep sides, which he could easily do in their current state with decent form.

Worst would be George can't handle the NRL and flops, thus we regret letting Sezer go, and Bird becomes Campese v2 after we've signed him on a big contract.

I too would take the bet. There's a very talented player in there, and our medical department seems to have improved out of sight in the last few years.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'd rather a Sezer trade (+ possible top up) for Isaako, Oates or TPJ.. the position we trade for is dependent on the BJ and Rapana situations. Bird is extremely unlikely to ever regain that Sharks form.

afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

I'd take Isaako. Can cover 1-5, good speed, and a very decent goal kicker.

Pangai would be a maybe, not sure if we'd been too keen on large big money forwards. Oates a no.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

gergreg wrote:I'd rather a Sezer trade (+ possible top up) for Isaako, Oates or TPJ.. the position we trade for is dependent on the BJ and Rapana situations. Bird is extremely unlikely to ever regain that Sharks form.

That's what was said about tedesco with his glass knees, our staff would get the best from Bird. One year deal to prove himself.

Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

No for oates, I actually rate Oldfield higher. No to tpj unless he is a swap for sia cap wise.

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I wouldn't touch Matterson, Isaako or Oates.

Matterson is not coming unless it's on something he thinks is boon dollar. He hasn't shown he is really interested in any club he's been at. Plenty of talent though.
Isaako I don't rate. Doesn't provide enough in attack to cover his average defence.
Oates has got too many errors in him for the money you'd pay.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Neeeegz wrote: September 19, 2019, 9:51 pm
gergreg wrote:I'd rather a Sezer trade (+ possible top up) for Isaako, Oates or TPJ.. the position we trade for is dependent on the BJ and Rapana situations. Bird is extremely unlikely to ever regain that Sharks form.

That's what was said about tedesco with his glass knees, our staff would get the best from Bird. One year deal to prove himself.
Bird and his manager would laugh pretty hard at that as they limp out of the negotiations. He's going to get a solid deal not be pushed into our favoured terms.
There are sides worse off than us that would be very willing to take a punt.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I just don’t know how we get rid of Sezer after he wins the Clive Churchill
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

zim wrote: September 19, 2019, 10:00 pm
Neeeegz wrote: September 19, 2019, 9:51 pm

Bird and his manager would laugh pretty hard at that as they limp out of the negotiations. He's going to get a solid deal not be pushed into our favoured terms.
There are sides worse off than us that would be very willing to take a punt.
Ya think? I'm a lot more inclined to think that most clubs will have bought into the narrative that Bird is a bust, than that all he needs is some decent medical attention, a solid rehab, and a bit of understanding of what his strengths are. We could be good for him.

What clubs are going to offer him that kind of deal? Roosters maybe, he can rehab for ages and be their next 5/8 outside Keary? Yeah I dunno. I can's see that he's got that much of a queue waiting for him...

Still not sure why we actually need him - that's a different argument about our centers.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

The Rickman wrote: September 19, 2019, 10:46 pm I just don’t know how we get rid of Sezer after he wins the Clive Churchill
We all know the Churchill will be won by Bateman. Let’s not make stuff up.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

PigRickman wrote:I am a gambler... and yeah that's a very interesting high variance proposition. It'd be really tempting, i dont think you lose much with the Sezer side of things because George Williams will start for us, and Sezer is an over-qualified and overpaid back up... the Jack Bird side of it could really go either way.

im a bet on talent guy. I'd probably do it just becasue the upside is huge and the risk is limited given George Williams is coming.
And hey, if we win a premiership this year, I’d be more willing to take the punt. At least I can say I’ve witnessed a recent Premiership.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021