Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Rickmando »

Matt wrote: April 5, 2019, 10:05 am
Rickmando wrote: April 5, 2019, 9:55 am
edwahu wrote: April 5, 2019, 5:58 am
FROG wrote: April 4, 2019, 10:03 pm On a similar but different note, how good is it to see Milford struggle.. got what he deserved
We should be making enquiries. He doesn't look happy and the Broncos wouldn't be happy with him either.
Agree. We aren’t in a position to hold grudges. If we were to take him back we also recoup come of that “sunk cost” for those who care.

Milford is a gun fullback. Put him there, and you’ve instantly got a player who is top 4 or 5 in the comp at the position

Edit - it’s actually the perfect time to target him, with the regime change up there. Seibold won’t want the headache, but he can look like he’s making assertive decisions by making a bold call and cutting Milf (gets the chance to bring in his own guys, make it his own team, not Bennett’s)... we get the Ponies to pay half the freight. But we don’t have any dynamic thinkers in our front office, so we will just keep plodding along I’m sure.
Uuuummmm... Have you watched CNK? He IS the form FB in the comp right now.
RTS, Teddy and Turbo have started to get going, but he has hit the ground running. Im not willing to replace him just yet, and esp not for the spoilt brat who is Milford.
CNK is not without talent. And if he keeps delivering this standard of play over the course of the season (especially at the price point) - then he’s the buy of the year.

I’m only agreeing with Ed that a proactive club would be sensing some blood in the water. “Play chess, not checkers”.

To add a talented player like Milford to the team, at below market value... I fail to see how it wouldn’t improve the side markedly.

Again, this is another case of ****-poohing an idea that doesn’t “fit” the standard recruitment process, and it’s such a blinkered view of things. (General comment - not directed specifically at you Matt). Time to move on from any animosity we as a collective might have for him - this is a business.

The most tiresome theme on the GH is “we can’t get players to come to Canberra/we always have to pay overs/we sign unproven players/we can’t sign rep players”... well hypothetically, if we were to get Milford at cheaper than his Broncos contract and return him to a place he knows (and where he played his best football) - you knock all four of those complaints out of the park in one hit!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

PigRickman wrote: March 30, 2019, 1:37 pm what’s a bad TPJ night? 70 minutes, 18 runs, 170+ yards and he’s 23 years old
Just to follow up from this... again for context.
Is TPJ worth a million dollars?...hmmm, well everyone is talking about how bad his last two weeks have been...
This week
67 minutes, 16 runs, 124 metres.

Again, these are games where compared to his usual standard, people are cracking jokes about him playing his way into our price range, saying that he's lazy, and soft. Calling him a pea heart.
The guy has apparently thrown up a two week stint worthy of mockery, which amounts to an average output of about 70 MIN/16 HU/150 M / 30+ TKS
Yeah, that guy is getting 1mil a year and he deserves every cent of it.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

PigRickman wrote: April 5, 2019, 11:16 am
PigRickman wrote: March 30, 2019, 1:37 pm what’s a bad TPJ night? 70 minutes, 18 runs, 170+ yards and he’s 23 years old
Is TPJ worth a million dollars?...hmmm, well everyone is talking about how bad his last two weeks have been...
This week

Again, these are games where compared to his usual standard, people are cracking jokes about him playing his way into our price range, saying that he's lazy, and soft. Calling him a pea heart.
The guy has apparently thrown up a two week stint worthy of mockery, which amounts to an average output of about 70 MIN/16 HU/150 M / 30+ TKS
Pig, this is one of those situations where the stats Flat out lie. He was recently involved with the ball, I will give you that, but he didn’t do a whole lot with it. Overall,TPJ was a huge net negative for the Broncos last night. He missed crucial tackles and gave away impactful penalties. And most of his “work”In defence was Jersey grabbing or third man flopping. It looks to me indicative of an attitude that flat out sucked, hence my concerned post. I can see where other commentators are at with the assessment that he appears to feel as though he is worth the price tag without yet having the runs on the board.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

TPJ is a superstar but he is not worth 1mil.... Maybe he will get to that level but he isn't there yet.
Also I'm not sure how effective Milford would be at fullback these days.. he is overweight and lost all his pace and CNK is a gun...That's a no from me
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Canberra would still be in with a shout to get TPJ back if they can find the money...
Sounds like his dad isn't doing too well back in Canberra?? Maybe he gets homesick?
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

By the end of May we will have a decent sample size, and will have come off the back of playing Panthers, Roosters and Storm.
That's when we can confidently look at the squad and see where we need improvement in order to win a comp.

Our halves are a glaring issue currently. May I present some key stats that point to our issues;

1. Our attack hinges on Josh Hodgson, and he doesn't have much backup - meaning in the key games, against the good sides, they just need to shut him down.
Josh has the most try assists in our team with 3. Rest of our spine;
Wighton 0
Sezer 1
CNK 0
Williams 0 - However Sam has scored a try himself.

The try assist isn't always everything, sometimes you make a linebreak and someone scores next play, so how do they do here;
Hodgson 1
Wighton 0
Sezer 0
CNK 0 - however he has made 2 on his own
Williams 1 - and 1 himself for his try

These are good numbers for Hodgson and decent numbers for Sam Williams (considering he's only played 1 game). CNK has pretty much just finished things off not really creating for others. So what the hell are Sezer and Wighton doing?

Run metres
Hodgson 7R 68 metres
Wighton 29R 291 metres (highest for a half in the NRL)
Sezer 3R 22 metres
CNK 56R 462 metres
Williams 2R 11 metres

Kick metres
Hodgson 485m - 3 forced drop out
Wighton 617m - 1 forced drop out
Sezer 312m - 1 forced drop out
Williams 214m - 1 forced drop out

Sezer's played two games, so his kick metres are bog average, and running game is non-existent.

Wighton's run metres are the highest for any half in the league. Also from his 29 runs, 20 have been 8+metres. That puts him well above the other halves (like double), and close to fullback level which is amazing considering he's not doing kick returns.
He's also got the most kick metres in our team, so while he had a few shockers last weekend we are going to him the most of anyone, especially long kicks. His kick errors stat is 2, compared to Sezer's 4, and Hodgson's 2.

Wighton to 6 is going well in my opinion. And if we sign George Williams it's my early prediction that it will be to partner Wighton in the halves.
> I'd like to see Wighton either making some linebreaks, or setting them up, to establish himself as a point of concern for the defence.
> Sam Williams needs to be a bit more creative to give himself a chance of cementing his place in the side.
> Sezer needs to improve everything. Best of luck at the Bulldogs as their next marquee signing after Napa.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

sprintman wrote: April 5, 2019, 10:22 am CNK is ridiculously good for somebody in a new team and country, new position, etc etc. Whoever made the contact call should get a bonus
I might be making this up but I'm pretty sure McFadden worked with him when he was coaching Warriors and it was ultimately his idea to bring him over
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Rickmando wrote: April 5, 2019, 11:29 am
This week

Pig, this is one of those situations where the stats Flat out lie. He was recently involved with the ball, I will give you that, but he didn’t do a whole lot with it. Overall,TPJ was a huge net negative for the Broncos last night. He missed crucial tackles and gave away impactful penalties. And most of his “work”In defence was Jersey grabbing or third man flopping. It looks to me indicative of an attitude that flat out sucked, hence my concerned post. I can see where other commentators are at with the assessment that he appears to feel as though he is worth the price tag without yet having the runs on the board.
He made a mistake or two last night as well - however, I think Pig's point is more that even if he is not worth 1m now, you are also paying for potential. It is similar to the people saying Ponga was unproven after his handful for games for NQL and how he did not deserve the big contract for the Knights. It is about getting value over the entire length of the contract, there will be times during that contract where you will feel that you are over/under paying.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

TongueFTW wrote: April 5, 2019, 12:15 pm
Rickmando wrote: April 5, 2019, 11:29 am
This week

He made a mistake or two last night as well - however, I think Pig's point is more that even if he is not worth 1m now, you are also paying for potential. It is similar to the people saying Ponga was unproven after his handful for games for NQL and how he did not deserve the big contract for the Knights. It is about getting value over the entire length of the contract, there will be times during that contract where you will feel that you are over/under paying.
Taumalolo is the name that I keep hearing him projected to... we know Taumalolo now has his $1M per year payday. Will TPJ be at a similar level/worth the money at some point in his next contract period? It’s possible, I’m not ruling it out.

TPJ’s work with the ball in hand and his ability to play big minutes in the middle are what put him on the Taumalolo trajectory.

But from what I’ve seen of TPJ (and last night made glaringly obvious) is that he’s got a lot of work to do on his defence, and on his mental application. In these aspects, he has a LONG way to go before he is considered to be Taumalolo’s equal.

Will some team pay him on potential and then hope to find out what his ceiling is? Yes it’s likely, and in certain cases this strategy is worth the punt. Personally I think Ponga will end up being great value for the knights, as what he will give them as one of their spine positions for the next 5 years (vs a replacement-level player) will be well worth the investment. I’m not so sure about TPJ providing a huge benefit vs other middle forwards, even before you apply the $1M price tag.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Lolo would be a 1.5m player now and even at 23 his deal was reduced because it is a crazy risky 10 years, everyone uses him as the benchmark but I am not sure it's the best comparison. There are other more recent examples like Creighton, who was signed by the Roosters with only half a season of good football under his belt.

Or you could ask whether he will be a 150-200k better player than Klemmer, Graham or Papalii. I think that's not a stretch given how he is tracking at 23.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Beejay wrote: April 5, 2019, 11:57 am By the end of May we will have a decent sample size, and will have come off the back of playing Panthers, Roosters and Storm.
That's when we can confidently look at the squad and see where we need improvement in order to win a comp.

Our halves are a glaring issue currently. May I present some key stats that point to our issues;

1. Our attack hinges on Josh Hodgson, and he doesn't have much backup - meaning in the key games, against the good sides, they just need to shut him down.
Josh has the most try assists in our team with 3. Rest of our spine;
Wighton 0
Sezer 1
CNK 0
Williams 0 - However Sam has scored a try himself.

The try assist isn't always everything, sometimes you make a linebreak and someone scores next play, so how do they do here;
Hodgson 1
Wighton 0
Sezer 0
CNK 0 - however he has made 2 on his own
Williams 1 - and 1 himself for his try

These are good numbers for Hodgson and decent numbers for Sam Williams (considering he's only played 1 game). CNK has pretty much just finished things off not really creating for others. So what the hell are Sezer and Wighton doing?

Run metres
Hodgson 7R 68 metres
Wighton 29R 291 metres (highest for a half in the NRL)
Sezer 3R 22 metres
CNK 56R 462 metres
Williams 2R 11 metres

Kick metres
Hodgson 485m - 3 forced drop out
Wighton 617m - 1 forced drop out
Sezer 312m - 1 forced drop out
Williams 214m - 1 forced drop out

Sezer's played two games, so his kick metres are bog average, and running game is non-existent.

Wighton's run metres are the highest for any half in the league. Also from his 29 runs, 20 have been 8+metres. That puts him well above the other halves (like double), and close to fullback level which is amazing considering he's not doing kick returns.
He's also got the most kick metres in our team, so while he had a few shockers last weekend we are going to him the most of anyone, especially long kicks. His kick errors stat is 2, compared to Sezer's 4, and Hodgson's 2.

Wighton to 6 is going well in my opinion. And if we sign George Williams it's my early prediction that it will be to partner Wighton in the halves.
> I'd like to see Wighton either making some linebreaks, or setting them up, to establish himself as a point of concern for the defence.
> Sam Williams needs to be a bit more creative to give himself a chance of cementing his place in the side.
> Sezer needs to improve everything. Best of luck at the Bulldogs as their next marquee signing after Napa.
That’s a quality post, thanks.

I think you’re harsh on Sam needy but to be more creative- if he’s going at 1 try and 1 line break per game he’s creating plenty - we had a few disallowed to, was he involved in any? And yeah, tiny sample since our attack looked good with him there.

So Jack is doing exactly what Ricky asked if him- be a strong running half
and the long kick option. Those kick error stats were insightful given the stick he gets.

Given two of those games were pouring wet I’m hoping he’ll come up with the assists or breaks as he gets the chance to expand a bit. Tucking it under a wing and running was the right option most of the time in those thunderstorms actually.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

CNK is a real running threat. He’s supported the odd half break too- I almost cried when Papalli rumbled up the middle, bend the line back 10m after contact poked his head and arm free in hope for the 509th time in his career- and blow me down but a fullback was looming up in support! Made another 20 yards on a half break.

Yes Rick said in an interview he didn’t know much about CNK to be honest but Cappy pointed out that NZ had a good un stuck behind their established starters... so he’d worked with him.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

CNK is a real running threat. He’s supported the odd half break too- I almost cried when Papalli rumbled up the middle, bend the line back 10m after contact poked his head and arm free in hope for the 509th time in his career- and blow me down but a fullback was looming up in support! Made another 20 yards on a half break.

The sweep play that used to bring out left edge into the game isn’t working with CNK there tho...

Yes Rick said in an interview he didn’t know much about CNK to be honest but Cappy pointed out that NZ had a good un stuck behind their established starters... so he’d worked with him.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

sprintman wrote: April 5, 2019, 10:22 am CNK is ridiculously good for somebody in a new team and country, new position, etc etc. Whoever made the contact call should get a bonus
By all reports the person is Andrew McFadden.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Rickmando wrote: April 5, 2019, 11:01 am
Matt wrote: April 5, 2019, 10:05 am
Rickmando wrote: April 5, 2019, 9:55 am
edwahu wrote: April 5, 2019, 5:58 am
FROG wrote: April 4, 2019, 10:03 pm On a similar but different note, how good is it to see Milford struggle.. got what he deserved
We should be making enquiries. He doesn't look happy and the Broncos wouldn't be happy with him either.
Agree. We aren’t in a position to hold grudges. If we were to take him back we also recoup come of that “sunk cost” for those who care.

Milford is a gun fullback. Put him there, and you’ve instantly got a player who is top 4 or 5 in the comp at the position

Edit - it’s actually the perfect time to target him, with the regime change up there. Seibold won’t want the headache, but he can look like he’s making assertive decisions by making a bold call and cutting Milf (gets the chance to bring in his own guys, make it his own team, not Bennett’s)... we get the Ponies to pay half the freight. But we don’t have any dynamic thinkers in our front office, so we will just keep plodding along I’m sure.
Uuuummmm... Have you watched CNK? He IS the form FB in the comp right now.
RTS, Teddy and Turbo have started to get going, but he has hit the ground running. Im not willing to replace him just yet, and esp not for the spoilt brat who is Milford.
CNK is not without talent. And if he keeps delivering this standard of play over the course of the season (especially at the price point) - then he’s the buy of the year.

I’m only agreeing with Ed that a proactive club would be sensing some blood in the water. “Play chess, not checkers”.

To add a talented player like Milford to the team, at below market value... I fail to see how it wouldn’t improve the side markedly.

Again, this is another case of ****-poohing an idea that doesn’t “fit” the standard recruitment process, and it’s such a blinkered view of things. (General comment - not directed specifically at you Matt). Time to move on from any animosity we as a collective might have for him - this is a business.

The most tiresome theme on the GH is “we can’t get players to come to Canberra/we always have to pay overs/we sign unproven players/we can’t sign rep players”... well hypothetically, if we were to get Milford at cheaper than his Broncos contract and return him to a place he knows (and where he played his best football) - you knock all four of those complaints out of the park in one hit!
Im happy to chase players worth chasing. Just getting Milf at below market value for the sake of it isnt worth it. By all accounts we have our halves sorted for 2020.
TPJ is on the market again, and while he isnt worth 1 mill a yr, I truly hope we are sussing him out again.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Imagine having Papa and TPJ in the starting forward pack :thumbsup
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Matt wrote: April 5, 2019, 1:44 pm Im happy to chase players worth chasing. Just getting Milf at below market value for the sake of it isnt worth it. By all accounts we have our halves sorted for 2020.
TPJ is on the market again, and while he isnt worth 1 mill a yr, I truly hope we are sussing him out again.
Agreed. So it's been reported that Milford's contract is in the vicinity of $1m per season (last contract was reported at $4m over four seasons). I would assume a pay cut for him would be in the $800k/year range... maybe $750k minimum (considering we're not the Roosters or Storm... he won't be taking a significantly large pay cut to come here). Taking this in to account, I would much rather sign TPJ on close to $1m per season than Milford on around $800k. The areas I think we're lacking in is a directing half and a bigger body middle forward - TPJ ticks the box in one area but Milford doesn't tick either box.

The question then for the Raiders in this instance would be whether we would prefer somebody like Milford on $800k in 5/8 or Wighton on $750k. While Milford would be an upgrade there in attack, his defence is quite suspect. I'm not sure if it's a great trade off. Personally, I would rather keep the guy who has been here since juniors and stayed loyal rather than punting him for a junior who abandoned us in the way that he did. Also, I've been saying privately for a number of years now that the Broncos made a mistake investing so much of their cap toward Milford in the halves... if he stepped up Thurston-style and took on the role as their shotcaller, it would have been fine. You just don't want that much money tied up in your secondary half though... it would irk me to see our club make that same mistake.

As far as signing him to play fullback... I would be open to the idea if CNK wasn't killing it at the moment, although it is still early days. It's hard to speculate based on contract values here because CNK will definitely be looking for an upgrade, presuming he came to the club on close to minimum wage. How large that upgrade will be is completely dependant on how he performs this season and what type of money rivals would be willing to offer. Considering that Milford hasn't played fullback regularly since he was with us, I think I would rather take a punt on CNK at this stage. If you asked me about this in the pre-season, I would have been all for picking up Milford at a reduced rate. I just don't think it's something I'd be jumping at now.

I see the point that people are making re: supporters always complaining that we never sign a proven, quality first grader but this isn't the opportunity imo. It would be a completely different story if we were discussing signing a Michael Morgan or a Cameron Munster, but Milford simply is not in that category.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I can't see Milford ever pulling on a green jersey again and very comfortable with that.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

SeeBee101 wrote: April 5, 2019, 2:44 pm Imagine having Papa and TPJ in the starting forward pack :thumbsup
Imagine a forward pack of Papa, TPJ, Tapine, Whitehead, J. Bateman, Hodgson.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Dylan Edwards moved from fullback to the wing at half time tonight, he’s struggling. Anybody want him over CKD?
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

sprintman wrote: April 5, 2019, 8:09 pm Dylan Edwards moved from fullback to the wing at half time tonight, he’s struggling. Anybody want him over CKD?
As is with anyone, you need to make a judgement call.

The only one I'd consider is TPJ, we are pretty strong across the top 17 and get value for money if we keep Williams and punt Sezer.
WorkChoice
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Wiki Special wrote:
SeeBee101 wrote: April 5, 2019, 2:44 pm Imagine having Papa and TPJ in the starting forward pack :thumbsup
TPJ is exactly what our pack needs. A real enforcer who will get down and dirty when required. He is young and best years are to come.

I’ve got question marks though on Whitehead into next year. While being reliable I’m not seeing the performances we were getting in 2016/17. With Young and Murchie coming through, if they perform this year I would be open to a change

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

No front rower is worth paying 10% of your salary cap on. Not even Taumalolo. That guy is a freak, but I can't see NQLD building a competitive team around him when he takes up that chunk of money. Especially as middles are notoriously injured, and the guy is already missing 1 or 2 games during the year due to rep footy. They have already lost Ponga as a result. They don't look in good shape at the moment.

So yeah, TPJ would be awesome on around $650k + TPA's, but I wouldn't invest more than that. It's like watching the Titans after spending way too much money on the likes of Proctor and Boyd. Terrible stuff.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If you look at every 1 million+ player I think thats not necessarily true. If you go off media reports you have Spine players: Bird, Cronk, DCE, Foran, Hunt, Johnson, Milford, Morgan, Pearce, Smith, Taylor
Forwards: Burgess, Creighton, Lolo

You'd have to say based on that list signing a spine player for that money is a bigger risk. The only two who deliver full value are Smith and Cronk.

I'd also argue you 2013,2014,2016 premierships and arguably 2015 were most influenced by a forward.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

The most successful coaches of the modern era I.e. bellamy, Robinson, Bennett etc have never been big on paying overs for props. Speaks volumes in my opinion.

That said, If the raiders had the opportunity to sign lolo for a million a year we'd be mad to overlook it.

TPJ is a lot of hype at the moment. If you fork out 1m you are doing so on potential. However I've got serious doubts he will fulfil his potential.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

LastRaider wrote: April 5, 2019, 9:30 pm
Wiki Special wrote:
TPJ is exactly what our pack needs. A real enforcer who will get down and dirty when required. He is young and best years are to come.

I’ve got question marks though on Whitehead into next year. While being reliable I’m not seeing the performances we were getting in 2016/17. With Young and Murchie coming through, if they perform this year I would be open to a change

Whitehead will be in the side for as long as he likes....wow. The only thing i would do is maybe swap him with Bateman
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

edwahu wrote:If you look at every 1 million+ player I think thats not necessarily true. If you go off media reports you have Spine players: Bird, Cronk, DCE, Foran, Hunt, Johnson, Milford, Morgan, Pearce, Smith, Taylor

You'd have to say based on that list signing a spine player for that money is a bigger risk. The only two who deliver full value are Smith and Cronk.

I'd also argue you 2013,2014,2016 premierships and arguably 2015 were most influenced by a forward.
Foran? Surely that's the crime of the century for him to be on a million but who do you charge, the player, player manager or the bloke who signed him?

Also interesting to see that several clubs have more than one - million a year player. It's baffling how they actually make that work. If you divide 7 million by 28 you get 250,000 and yeah ... That doesn't add up for the Roosters or Broncos.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

edwahu wrote: April 6, 2019, 4:46 am If you look at every 1 million+ player I think thats not necessarily true. If you go off media reports you have Spine players: Bird, Cronk, DCE, Foran, Hunt, Johnson, Milford, Morgan, Pearce, Smith, Taylor

The history of Rugby League begs to differ. The most influential and important players are in your spine. The Dally M awards demonstrate that over the years.

Yes forwards can be immensely influential. The elite forwards often win you the big matches. The Clive Churchill medal winners are evidence of that. I agree that players like Burgess, SBW and Taumalolo are hugely influential on how their team goes. I just think the risk is a lot higher investing big money in blokes that are more likely to get injured and are often only marginally better than some far less expensive options. Spending 10% of your cap in a high risk position, where you need depth as much as x factor quality, is not a cap management tactic I'd personally be pursuing.

Some of those guys you name were ridiculous signings. Bird, Foran, Hunt and even Milford and Johnson are all on massive overs. Glad we didn't make those mistakes. That Bird signing by the Broncos was the best thing to happen to the rest of the NRL. Hilarious stuff. :lol: It means Milford can't be partnered with a decent organising half, so that investment looks completely useless.

Anyway, long term, big dollar contracts in high impact sports like League are a massive risk. I've argued previously that TPJ is exactly the type of prop we need and I'd have him over any front rower in our squad except Papa, but I wouldn't be paying anywhere near $1 m per season, not a chance.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on April 6, 2019, 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

i can't believe there is so much discussion on a guy getting 1mil after just 1 great game and 3 meh one's, crazy sport rugby league
raider 4 life
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The way I see it, if you spend it on a forward you're more likely to get some decent return, if you spend it on the spine you can get a potentially bigger return but the risk is much higher, especially with halves.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I think the correct salary to get TPJ on would be $4m/5yrs on the cap with a few hundred grand thrown in from TPA's over the course of his contract. Some may see that as overs, others unders but I think you'd get value for the player and the club at that money.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Raiders666 wrote:
Wiki Special wrote:

Whitehead will be in the side for as long as he likes....wow. The only thing i would do is maybe swap him with Bateman
Why do you say that Whitehead should be in the side for as long as he wants?

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Wiki Special wrote:I think the correct salary to get TPJ on would be $4m/5yrs on the cap with a few hundred grand thrown in from TPA's over the course of his contract. Some may see that as overs, others unders but I think you'd get value for the player and the club at that money.
I think your close. $800k a season indexed against the % increase of the salary cap each year over 5 years. He can get his own TPA’s so club wouldn’t really need to chase to hard for that

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

LastRaider wrote: April 6, 2019, 8:41 am
Raiders666 wrote:
Wiki Special wrote:

Why do you say that Whitehead should be in the side for as long as he wants?

How can you want our most consistent player over 3 years shipped out after 3 rounds?
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Lol...Our season has started really well and already half the players are on the chopping block..**** this place is incredible. Yep let's get rid of Whitehead..Tapine..Bj..Jack..or anyone who doesn't score 100 supercoach points a game