All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by gerg »

roneel78 wrote:
gergreg wrote:
Brew wrote:I’ll still support him but I’m not liking where this club is heading.
The last 2 years have been such a waste since all the good work from 2016 is undone.
We are virtually trying the same thing over and over expecting a different result. We are weakening our Fullback position to put him at Five Eight.
The fact everyone is tipping us in the bottom 4 actually gives me some hope but everyone bar Parra, Warriors and Canterbury have either strengthen their squad or their coach so I can’t see how we will make the 8.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Okay... Let's actually look at recruitment, strengthening of squads, you've picked three sides. How have Manly, Cowboys, Storm, Tigers, Broncos to name just a few, strengthened their squads. Thurston and Slater have retired and no real recruits to replace them. Manly haven't recruited anybody, nor have the Broncos or Tigers. Why have you only picked Parra, Warriors and Doggies? I think there are quite a few sides who haven't really strengthened their sides. I think the comp is quite open this year with everything going on. Are we capable of taking advantage of it? I have my doubts but it's not down to our squad and how it compares with other teams.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Cowboys: Josh Mguire and Ben Barba (though that did t work out), Kurt Baptiste, Nene Mcdonald, jordan kahu

Manly: Trent Hodgkinson and Kane Elgey?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mcguire I guess is a decent get but a bit like the additions to our squad in that it isn't the area that they need filling. They've just lost a future HOF half and a prop/lock isn't going to fill that void.

Manly. Haha c'mon now. Hodgkinson was there last year and he's pretty ordinary. Elgey might work but again not an area that needs fixing for them.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Brew trying his best to role out the excuses here when in reality we absolutely should (and will!!) play finals football in 2019

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Rickman wrote:Brew trying his best to role out the excuses here when in reality we absolutely should (and will!!) play finals football in 2019

Gone from a texer to a doubter in a year?

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Rickman wrote: March 7, 2019, 3:47 pm Brew trying his best to role out the excuses here when in reality we absolutely should (and will!!) play finals football in 2019

Your new found unflinching optimism is disturbing
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Northern Raider wrote:
The Rickman wrote: March 7, 2019, 3:47 pm Brew trying his best to role out the excuses here when in reality we absolutely should (and will!!) play finals football in 2019

I like it, I can’t wait till we are 0-3 to see what he is like!
He must of finally read Tim Gavels article last year about all getting on board with supporting Sticky

In Ricky We Trust
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Brew wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

I like it, I can’t wait till we are 0-3 to see what he is like!
He must of finally read Tim Gavels article last year about all getting on board with supporting Sticky

If we’re 0-3 I’ll still be 100% behind our coach like a true fan would be!

Can’t believe you “can’t wait for us to be 0-3”. Tsk tsk, Brew. Time to change your profile pic and sig, mate

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

0-3 aint nothin' but a number
Anyone jumping off the wagon at 0-3 really wasnt here for Rick
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I must say I feel slightly better after NRL 360 and the way Ennis talked

In Ricky We Trust
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm even starting to like Michael Ennis. He's a grub... but he's now our grub!
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Michael Ennis will be a huge addition to our squad this year. He is a winner with a great football brain. Would love to see him groomed to take the reins of our First Grade squad.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Entrenched in the media now , cant see him taking the jump fulltime.

Can have the best of both worlds without the stress of a head coach
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 7, 2019, 9:27 pm Entrenched in the media now , cant see him taking the jump fulltime.

Can have the best of both worlds without the stress of a head coach
I agree with what you say - can't see him leaving his current Television gig. Still can hope though.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

What was Ennis saying?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

He commented on the passion Stuart brings to the club and his commitment to the community, talked about how it rubs off on everyone in the organisation. He mentioned the scenario training the guys have been doing, in that they will do an intense fitness session then go onto the pitch and run through scenarios (e.g. up by 8 points with 5 minutes left etc.).

He really talked up John Bateman, too. I am excited to see how he goes. He said he thinks he is the kind of player all supporters would appreciate come September, has that competitive streak in him. It sounds like he will be playing at lock, with Tapine and Whitehead on the edge.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

TongueFTW wrote: March 8, 2019, 8:48 am He commented on the passion Stuart brings to the club and his commitment to the community, talked about how it rubs off on everyone in the organisation. He mentioned the scenario training the guys have been doing, in that they will do an intense fitness session then go onto the pitch and run through scenarios (e.g. up by 8 points with 5 minutes left etc.).

He really talked up John Bateman, too. I am excited to see how he goes. He said he thinks he is the kind of player all supporters would appreciate come September, has that competitive streak in him. It sounds like he will be playing at lock, with Tapine and Whitehead on the edge.
Sounds like Ennis has been on the same stuff as myself, The Rickman, and PigRickman... I love it!
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

OF COURSE Rick brings passion to the club - it’s what most qualifies him for the job of Supreme Leader.

The 17 blokes on game day aren’t going to go out there and play for someone who doesn’t bleed green.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Rickmando wrote: March 8, 2019, 9:19 am
TongueFTW wrote: March 8, 2019, 8:48 am He commented on the passion Stuart brings to the club and his commitment to the community, talked about how it rubs off on everyone in the organisation. He mentioned the scenario training the guys have been doing, in that they will do an intense fitness session then go onto the pitch and run through scenarios (e.g. up by 8 points with 5 minutes left etc.).

Sounds like Ennis has been on the same stuff as myself, The Rickman, and PigRickman... I love it!
Yup... just a shame everyone else here is going to jump on our bandwagon about five weeks too late.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

#wrongsideofrickstory
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Bennyinthewest »

TongueFTW wrote:He commented on the passion Stuart brings to the club and his commitment to the community, talked about how it rubs off on everyone in the organisation. He mentioned the scenario training the guys have been doing, in that they will do an intense fitness session then go onto the pitch and run through scenarios (e.g. up by 8 points with 5 minutes left etc.).

So glad to hear that, I’m banking on Batemen leading our line speed so really wanted him at lock. He will need some helpers as he does tackle high n isn’t big but he is tough as!!

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

There are a few selections from round 1 which might lead to players being available if they continue. DWZ on the wing is definitely one we should be chasing up. Plenty of decent players like Ese'ese, Rhys Martin, Josh Reynolds, Matt Eisenhuth are in reggies as well.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Unless you're going to move Tapine to prop I'd leave Martin alone. If we want a big bopper Eisenhuth would be a great target. He's a genuine prop.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Eisenhuth can play. Too good for reggies.

Only knock on him is he’s Paul Gallen’s cousin, and Paul Gallen is an EDIT
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

edwahu wrote: March 12, 2019, 4:22 pm There are a few selections from round 1 which might lead to players being available if they continue. DWZ on the wing is definitely one we should be chasing up. Plenty of decent players like Ese'ese, Rhys Martin, Josh Reynolds, Matt Eisenhuth are in reggies as well.
Ese x2 and Huth are very good
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Rickmando wrote: March 12, 2019, 4:59 pm Eisenhuth can play. Too good for reggies.

Only knock on him is he’s Paul Gallen’s cousin, and Paul Gallen is an EDIT
He's also one of Ricky's mates. Plus, Gallen is filthy at the Sharks management.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Hearing that Luke Bateman is being shopped around. Clearing room for a mid season pick up maybe?
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

He would have been backing himself to make the round 1 team. Probably sees the writing on the wall now. He's on low money so couldn't be much of a pick up.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Raiders_Pat wrote: March 13, 2019, 1:12 pm Hearing that Luke Bateman is being shopped around. Clearing room for a mid season pick up maybe?
He’d be a pretty good signing for the Dragons imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

ESL is really his best option. What squad needs him in the NRL? There are so many decent young forwards coming through.

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

zim wrote: March 13, 2019, 1:28 pm He would have been backing himself to make the round 1 team. Probably sees the writing on the wall now. He's on low money so couldn't be much of a pick up.
Id say he is on above minimum, but more importantly it frees up a roster spot.

For example - if we let go of Bateman, we could sign Starling - what would be of more use given our current roster?? We have plenty of mid level forward, but only 2 hookers.

Potentially we could be looking to create a roster spot for Williams....
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Coastalraider wrote: March 13, 2019, 1:36 pm
zim wrote: March 13, 2019, 1:28 pm He would have been backing himself to make the round 1 team. Probably sees the writing on the wall now. He's on low money so couldn't be much of a pick up.

For example - if we let go of Bateman, we could sign Starling - what would be of more use given our current roster?? We have plenty of mid level forward, but only 2 hookers.

He should be on minimum wage but due to the fact that we're the Canberra Raiders, I wouldn't be surprised if he was on $150-200k/year. Either way I think it's the right move, others have overtaken him in the pecking order and you could argue that he's at his ceiling as far as performance levels go from what we've seen over the past few seasons.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

He is on above minimum but he's not on much.

IMHO Starling would be too small to ever be relied on in the defensive line. We'd see J Bateman at hooker before Starling would get a run and that would only be after Hodgo and Havili have gone down. We do have a 3rd hooker on the books but much like Starling we'll never see Kyle Paterson in the top grade this year.

Creating a roster spot for G Williams really doesn't help if you don't have that kind of cash, like a 500k transfer fee plus you'd assume at least a 500k salary.

Unless the club's been telling massive pork pies about how much we have left in the cap L Bateman leaving would maybe give us little left over to top up someone like Horsburgh for this year with a view to pushing ahead negotiations with him signing next year.

The min wage replacement could be anyone from a journeyman type hooker to someone like a Tony Satini for more depth out wide.
Last edited by zim on March 13, 2019, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

julian87 wrote: March 13, 2019, 1:34 pm He’d be a pretty good signing for the Dragons imo.
gergreg wrote: March 13, 2019, 1:35 pm ESL is really his best option. What squad needs him in the NRL? There are so many decent young forwards coming through.

Possibly Dragons if they need another lock to cover for De Belin, and they've done a good job of picking up Raiders players that no other team would want in the past. Also, maybe the Dogs if Dean Pay holds him in any regard. I do agree that it's hard to imagine any other club wanting him on their roster but he does have NRL experience under his belt which could tempt coaches.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

The Warriors have Lachlan Burr starting at lock. They're also not stacked in the forwards.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

zim wrote: March 13, 2019, 2:04 pm

IMHO Starling would be too small to ever be relied on in the defensive line. We'd see J Bateman at hooker before Starling would get a run and that would only be after Hodgo and Havili have gone down. We do have a 3rd hooker on the books but much like Starling we'll never see Kyle Paterson in the top grade this year.

Creating a roster spot for G Williams really doesn't help if you don't have that kind of cash, like a 500k transfer fee plus you'd assume at least a 500k salary.

Unless the club's been telling massive pork pies about how much we have left in the cap L Bateman leaving would maybe give us little left over to top up someone like Horsburgh for this year with a view to pushing ahead negotiations with him signing next year.

The min wage replacement could be anyone from a journeyman type hooker to someone like a Tony Satini for more depth out wide.
Including transfer fees in the cap is ridiculous imo... the player in question sees none of that money so why should it be included in his contract value under the cap? Enforcing that kind of rule means there is less money available for players... hard to see the RLPA, for example, agreeing to it.

Teams shouldn't be punished for raising the overall quality of the game by bringing in talent from outside of the competition as long as their contract value falls under the salary cap.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Raiders_Pat wrote: March 13, 2019, 2:32 pm
zim wrote: March 13, 2019, 2:04 pm

Including transfer fees in the cap is ridiculous imo... the player in question sees none of that money so why should it be included in his contract value under the cap? Enforcing that kind of rule means there is less money available for players... hard to see the RLPA, for example, agreeing to it.

Teams shouldn't be punished for raising the overall quality of the game by bringing in talent from outside of the competition as long as their contract value falls under the salary cap.
Agreed. Wasn't there some sort of rule made up by the NRL that was along the lines of the NRL being able to stretch a team's salary cap at their discretion in order to be able to attract guys like a Sonny Bill Williams or Israel Folau from another code to the NRL? I know it hasn't been used yet, but it seems counter productive to that rule to include transfer fees to the salary cap if you're going to have that in place.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine