Raiders player signing speculation 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

FROG
Brett Mullins

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by FROG »

The mole is reporting that Kyle flanagan may be looking to break his contract early given the tension between his father and the sharks. What would peoples thoughts be on signing him? Shouldn't break the bank. There's been plenty of wraps on him which I appreciate means very little until they bring it on the big stage...
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

FROG wrote:The mole is reporting that Kyle flanagan may be looking to break his contract early given the tension between his father and the sharks. What would peoples thoughts be on signing him? Shouldn't break the bank. There's been plenty of wraps on him which I appreciate means very little until they bring it on the big stage...
For sure it would be worth a shot if Jack doesn't work out in the 6

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

If he wasn’t Shane’s son, I doubt he would be getting much publicity. Unlikely to be any more than an occasional first grader.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'd rather use Dean Matterson tbh
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

-TW- wrote: February 20, 2019, 9:16 am I'd rather use Dean Matterson tbh
I thought he was really solid in that trial. This is the first ive seen him mentioned since but he played very well
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: February 20, 2019, 9:13 am If he wasn’t Shane’s son, I doubt he would be getting much publicity. Unlikely to be any more than an occasional first grader.
I’ve seen him a bit in lower grades and he’s definitely a talent.
DannyAndo
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by DannyAndo »

We need to pull out all stops to lure the prodigal son, Clay Priest back to the club
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Eels are apparently trying to sign George Burgess before kick off. Maybe we can offload Lui and Abbey quickly and the Pommy blokes can get in his ear?
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

DannyAndo wrote: February 20, 2019, 10:12 am We need to pull out all stops to lure the prodigal son, Clay Priest back to the club
There was a bloke who Rick and his staff was able to squeeze more juice out of than I thought was available. Sadly has done nothing much since he left.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

edwahu wrote: February 20, 2019, 11:06 am Eels are apparently trying to sign George Burgess before kick off. Maybe we can offload Lui and Abbey quickly and the Pommy blokes can get in his ear?
Nah.
Either Jennings is going to Tigers inside the next wk.
OR
Gurgess to Eels.

I think it will be the 1st one.
Supershamrock
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: J Toots

Post by Supershamrock »

greeneyed wrote: February 19, 2019, 6:33 pm
Beejay wrote: February 19, 2019, 6:31 pm
greeneyed wrote: February 19, 2019, 6:18 pm He did sign Tapine. I think people are being very tough on Peter Mulholland. He's got a heap of rugby league knowledge, and obviously he has extensive networks at junior development level. He's scouring places like New Zealand and Fiji for talent. He's built up links to Monaro and Riverina. I'm not certain the western Sydney stragegy is delivering much... But in any event, he's got rugby league in his blood. And he's a very nice bloke as well, which is an admirable quality in rugby league today.
The more I read that defence of him the more I realise he has to go.
Well, I'm sorry you've concluded that. I certainly don't agree.
I don't particularly have a strong view one way or the other, however, part of his role is retention. I don't recall anyone we genuinely wanted to keep under current conditions being lost during his tenure.

Could be wrong though.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

edwahu wrote: February 20, 2019, 11:06 am Eels are apparently trying to sign George Burgess before kick off. Maybe we can offload Lui and Abbey quickly and the Pommy blokes can get in his ear?
Not taking full freight on his contract for the first year then 700k / year after (to match the eels). That's too much for Gurgess.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

zim wrote: February 20, 2019, 12:39 pm
Not taking full freight on his contract for the first year then 700k / year after (to match the eels). That's too much for Gurgess.
600k a season average doesn't seem so far over the mark for him. He is a level above Boyd and Junior imo and plays good minutes.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Pigman wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: February 19, 2019, 5:34 pm It really is the best catchment area in the country. We should be signing up anyone who can point out Big Chief on a map
:thumbsup :thumbsup
The anti-QBN policy
I’m on board with this policy. I’ve even knocked up this flowchart to help out with interviewing potential signings

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: February 20, 2019, 2:25 pm
Pigman wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: February 19, 2019, 5:34 pm It really is the best catchment area in the country. We should be signing up anyone who can point out Big Chief on a map
The anti-QBN policy
I’m on board with this policy. I’ve even knocked up this flowchart to help out with interviewing potential signings

:lol:
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

edwahu wrote: February 20, 2019, 1:31 pm
zim wrote: February 20, 2019, 12:39 pm
Taking full freight on his contract for the first year then 700k / year after (to match the eels). That's too much for Gurgess.
600k a season average doesn't seem so far over the mark for him. He is a level above Boyd and Junior imo and plays good minutes.
He plays around 40mins, and we'd have to up the offer to get him down here instead of staying in sydney. I'll give you that his 2018 was a level above Boyd and Junior. It'd be a better signing for us than Boyd to the Titans, but it's still too pricey.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

If I had to choose between burgess for 600k and kasiano for 300k I'd prefer the latter myself. Neither would be that far off the mark $ wise imo
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: February 20, 2019, 2:25 pm
Pigman wrote:
The anti-QBN policy

I love it Fui!
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Matt wrote: February 20, 2019, 12:01 pm
Nah.
Either Jennings is going to Tigers inside the next wk.
OR
Gurgess to Eels.

I think it will be the 1st one.
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/souths-shu ... ocial-WWOS

Told ya
BJ
Steve Walters

Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by BJ »

edwahu wrote:Eels are apparently trying to sign George Burgess before kick off. Maybe we can offload Lui and Abbey quickly and the Pommy blokes can get in his ear?

Problem is that this isn’t how the Salary cap works. It’s like a balance sheet.

If Burgess comes to Canberra for $600k and we offload Abbey at his $120k and Lui at his $275k (estimates based on reports), then we still have to find $200k plus another $100k to fill a minimum wage position in our compulsory 30 man roster.

The only way we can do it in our current position, is a switch for another $600k player. And there is none of them at the Raiders that I want to swap for George Burgess, even if Souths covered $100k
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I was only half serious but it's not that simple because of backloading and front loading plus all of the loopholes. We seem to be the only club incapable of finding extra money to get these players when it's needed.

Even in this case, it's 400k year one which would be covered by Lui and Abbey, and we would still have enough for the remaining 2 players assuming we use Rapana cash. We should have some room next year for the additional 300k based on cap rises and downgrading a couple of off contract players.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Half a pack of Bradford juniors? Yes, please.

That's more than Bradford has at the moment.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

MrPosh wrote: February 21, 2019, 2:45 am
Half a pack of Bradford juniors? Yes, please.

That's more than Bradford has at the moment.
:roflmao
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

edwahu wrote:I was only half serious but it's not that simple because of backloading and front loading plus all of the loopholes. We seem to be the only club incapable of finding extra money to get these players when it's needed.

Even in this case, it's 400k year one which would be covered by Lui and Abbey, and we would still have enough for the remaining 2 players assuming we use Rapana cash. We should have some room next year for the additional 300k based on cap rises and downgrading a couple of off contract players.
I know where you are coming from, but what I’m trying to say is replacing multiple low wage players with one high wage player, just doesn’t work under the fixed 30 man squad with a minimum price.

Jordan Rapana is our only higher wage player off contract for next season that you can downgrade and I doubt he’s going to take a big pay cut to allow us to get George Burgess. The other players off contract for next season will need to be re-signed or replaced with the same number of players at a similar pay grade.

We have a squad to wage imbalance and I hope letting Paulo, Boyd and Austin go is our first step in better utilising our mismanaged Salary cap. Or we get a sudden spike in third party deals.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

BJ wrote: February 21, 2019, 9:16 am
edwahu wrote:I was only half serious but it's not that simple because of backloading and front loading plus all of the loopholes. We seem to be the only club incapable of finding extra money to get these players when it's needed.

I know where you are coming from, but what I’m trying to say is replacing multiple low wage players with one high wage player, just doesn’t work under the fixed 30 man squad with a minimum price.

Jordan Rapana is our only higher wage player off contract for next season that you can downgrade and I doubt he’s going to take a big pay cut to allow us to get George Burgess. The other players off contract for next season will need to be re-signed or replaced with the same number of players at a similar pay grade.

We have a squad to wage imbalance and I hope letting Paulo, Boyd and Austin go is our first step in better utilising our mismanaged Salary cap. Or we get a sudden spike in third party deals.

It can work though, because a players salary doesn't have to be evenly distributed across the life of his contract. So a player can be low wage and high wage during a single deal. If you backload Rapana on his new deal you could easily fit Burgess in for year 2 and 3 with plenty of time to find the extra money elsewhere. Even the cap increases would cover it.

Of course we would probably end up doing a Bulldogs if we tried it rather than a Roosters, but we need to try something to get into the market.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

The club can’t sign anyone, there is absolutely no money. We would have signed TPJ and if we could now buy someone through trading etc we would still be wanting sign TPJ over any Burgess brother

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

LastRaider wrote:The club can’t sign anyone, there is absolutely no money. We would have signed TPJ and if we could now buy someone through trading etc we would still be wanting sign TPJ over any Burgess brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
DannyAndo
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by DannyAndo »

Cranky Old Man wrote: February 20, 2019, 11:47 am
DannyAndo wrote: February 20, 2019, 10:12 am We need to pull out all stops to lure the prodigal son, Clay Priest back to the club
There was a bloke who Rick and his staff was able to squeeze more juice out of than I thought was available. Sadly has done nothing much since he left.
Look I don't think it's a coincidence his debut coincided with us destroying Balmain 60-6. Was an integral member of that '16 squad that ran 2nd. That simply wouldn't have happened without Clay.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

LastRaider wrote: February 21, 2019, 9:26 pm The club can’t sign anyone, there is absolutely no money. We would have signed TPJ and if we could now buy someone through trading etc we would still be wanting sign TPJ over any Burgess brother

Yeah, I was wishfully hoping when the club announced that there was no room in the cap that it was part of some intricate recruitment strategy not to pay overs or something... but it's becoming more apparent that they were actually being straight up about it. It's quite remarkable that we lose 3 players equating to at least $1.5mil worth of contracts and can't sign a single quality first grader. Absolutely shocking cap management.

If I had to guess our position right now salary-cap wise, I reckon at best we have a tiny amount of room for a mid season buy (for either a fringe first grader or somebody who isn't getting a start which aren't the greatest options) provided that we can move somebody else on.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Raiders_Pat wrote:
LastRaider wrote: February 21, 2019, 9:26 pm The club can’t sign anyone, there is absolutely no money. We would have signed TPJ and if we could now buy someone through trading etc we would still be wanting sign TPJ over any Burgess brother

Yeah, I was wishfully hoping when the club announced that there was no room in the cap that it was part of some intricate recruitment strategy not to pay overs or something... but it's becoming more apparent that they were actually being straight up about it. It's quite remarkable that we lose 3 players equating to at least $1.5mil worth of contracts and can't sign a single quality first grader. Absolutely shocking cap management.

If I had to guess our position right now salary-cap wise, I reckon at best we have a tiny amount of room for a mid season buy (for either a fringe first grader or somebody who isn't getting a start which aren't the greatest options) provided that we can move somebody else on.
I love a good dig at the club myself. But to suggest we haven't signed a first grade player is ridiculous. Bateman is an international with plenty of wraps.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Post of the year Fui with that Flowchart.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

gergreg wrote: February 22, 2019, 10:12 am I love a good dig at the club myself. But to suggest we haven't signed a first grade player is ridiculous. Bateman is an international with plenty of wraps.

Bateman is a good signing and I think he will likely do well in the NRL, but as with most Super League who are making the transition for the first time, we probably didn't have to pay a premium to get him here... pretty sure Hodgson came here on peanuts and Whitehead on close to minimum wage. Besides the fact that he isn't a first grade NRL player (yet), it's highly unlikely that we would have paid a sum in the vicinity of Paulo's asking price or however much it would have cost us to pick up somebody like George Burgess (established first grade NRL players) to get him here.

You don't see any problems in shedding $1.5mil (at minimum) worth of contracts and not being able to fork out $600k for one single player with first grade experience in the NRL? Our recruitment hasn't been this poor since the days when guys like Bronson Harrison were our biggest recruits, but we at least had juniors pouring out our ass back then!

I was carrying on last off season about us having not made any major pick ups or any major shakeups in the starting line up going in to the 2018 season. You need to be constantly looking to upgrade your squad (and managing overvalued contracts etc.)... fresh talent in your 17 and the unexpected departure or two also helps to keep everybody on their toes. I think we made the mistake last off season not to have at least one major pick up/shift in the starting lineup and our coaching staff had the realisation that we needed a change one season too late... that's if they did in fact have any kind of realisation and we didn't just shed those players due to not being able to keep them because of our incompetent salary cap management.

Quite literally any other club in the game in our position including some of the worst performing clubs in recent years (Titans, Warriors, Eels, Tigers etc.) would have (and have) picked up a first grade player or two with some genuine credentials.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Raiders_Pat wrote: February 22, 2019, 12:08 pm You need to be constantly looking to upgrade your squad (and managing overvalued contracts etc.)...
Btw I meant "upgrade" as in shedding underperformers and replacing them with better value for money... not "upgrade" as in what we tend to do, which is upgrading our current players' contracts willy nilly.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Raiders_Pat wrote:
gergreg wrote: February 22, 2019, 10:12 am I love a good dig at the club myself. But to suggest we haven't signed a first grade player is ridiculous. Bateman is an international with plenty of wraps.

Bateman is a good signing and I think he will likely do well in the NRL, but as with most Super League who are making the transition for the first time, we probably didn't have to pay a premium to get him here... pretty sure Hodgson came here on peanuts and Whitehead on close to minimum wage. Besides the fact that he isn't a first grade NRL player (yet), it's highly unlikely that we would have paid a sum in the vicinity of Paulo's asking price or however much it would have cost us to pick up somebody like George Burgess (established first grade NRL players) to get him here.

You don't see any problems in shedding $1.5mil (at minimum) worth of contracts and not being able to fork out $600k for one single player with first grade experience in the NRL? Our recruitment hasn't been this poor since the days when guys like Bronson Harrison were our biggest recruits, but we at least had juniors pouring out our ass back then!

I was carrying on last off season about us having not made any major pick ups or any major shakeups in the starting line up going in to the 2018 season. You need to be constantly looking to upgrade your squad (and managing overvalued contracts etc.)... fresh talent in your 17 and the unexpected departure or two also helps to keep everybody on their toes. I think we made the mistake last off season not to have at least one major pick up/shift in the starting lineup and our coaching staff had the realisation that we needed a change one season too late... that's if they did in fact have any kind of realisation and we didn't just shed those players due to not being able to keep them because of our incompetent salary cap management.

Quite literally any other club in the game in our position including some of the worst performing clubs in recent years (Titans, Warriors, Eels, Tigers etc.) would have (and have) picked up a first grade player or two with some genuine credentials.
Yep it’s pretty dire at the moment and our much talked about end of season reviews don’t seam to be returning any results from what I can see.... so we just keep on keeping on

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

We haven't even seen a single round played yet. Not sure what review results you are expecting to see without a round played?
It's not like the season review would come up with "Sign Shaun Johnson" as a recommendation. That's an entirely separate thing.