Raiders player signing speculation 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Wiki Special wrote:It's gonna be real funny if the Sharks can't formally sign Johnson due to Cap issues and he is forced to go elsewhere.
I just posted in the Johnson thread, but it’s a possibility

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f3f5c10bb2
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Wiki Special wrote: February 15, 2019, 8:39 am It's gonna be real funny if the Sharks can't formally sign Johnson due to Cap issues and he is forced to go elsewhere.
It's gonna be even funnier when we still can't afford him.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Roy Rover wrote:
edwahu wrote: February 14, 2019, 9:38 pm
El_Capitano wrote: February 14, 2019, 9:13 pm
edwahu wrote:The latest rumour on social media is 3 clubs may be done for cap cheating and they are all high profile.
Could it be the holy trinity?!?!?! Broncos, Roosters and Storm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We can only dream.
Parramatta, Manly and Tigers
"High profile". NRL going after the teams that clearly cheat!

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I've heard panthers, rabbitohs and sharks mentioned a few times
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

FROG wrote:I've heard panthers, rabbitohs and sharks mentioned a few times
BJ Mole reporting that the NRL Commission has called for the financial records from 3 rugby league clubs.

Newtown Jets
North Sydney Bears
Gold Coast Seagulls

Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

BJ wrote:
BJ Mole reporting that the NRL Commission has called for the financial records from 3 rugby league clubs.

Newtown Jets
North Sydney Bears
Gold Coast Seagulls
What? And those cheating adelaide rams get off scott free???

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I found a moon rock in my nose....
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Dibbers wrote:
BJ wrote:

Newtown Jets
North Sydney Bears
Gold Coast Seagulls
What? And those cheating adelaide rams get off scott free???

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Good point Dibbers. BJ Mole reporting that the NRL will undertake a detailed investigation into any unwanted sexual advances by contracted Adelaide Rams players going back a decade.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

FROG wrote: February 15, 2019, 12:43 pm I've heard panthers, rabbitohs and sharks mentioned a few times
That would be special.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

I have been amazed at Penrith’s seemingly bottomless talent pool

How soon IS now?
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

scotchberry wrote: February 13, 2019, 9:38 pm We should of used the Ropana money ($175 roughly) plus what ever minimum was to sign Jordan Kahu.

He will not win you a comp but he was playing reserve grade this season and he is a hell of a lot better (and pedigree) than Abbey and the other possibilities we are left with
Kahu? Kidding aren't ya? The definition of bog average. If he wasn't playing for Brisbane he'd be a virtual unknown.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

FROG wrote: February 10, 2019, 1:36 pm
RedRaider wrote: February 10, 2019, 6:37 am I can't recall seeing CNK play so I can't make a call on him, but a Warriors reserve grader may be our new FB?
Good Luck mate. I hope you are a vast improvement on Abbey.
Mate. Rapana was unwanted before he got a break to play first grade with us. Cody walker languished in reserve grade before getting his chance in his mid 20s. There are countless stories like these so let's not write him off too quickly.

Also I really don't get the hate for Abbey. I saw every game he had for us at full back and I think he showed lots of potential. He seemed to pop up at the right place at the right time. Trouble for him is that he seems to drop his lollies a few too many times for my liking but im sure that'll improve with experience (as it did for rapana). I'm assuming that people are writing him off based on his reggies finals performance which is incredibly misguided in my opinion.
Hmmm. Right place at the right time ay? Not sure what player you watched. He's small, gets manhandled in defense so rarely hits the ball up, can't pass and is suspect under the high ball. Apart from that he's awesome. He's an out and out reserve grader who wouldn't be anywhere near the top 17 of any club with aspirations of playing finals footy.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

El_Capitano wrote:I have been amazed at Penrith’s seemingly bottomless talent pool

It's a pretty solid development area and has been for a long, long time. I'm more amazed at their ability to stockpile so much quality depth, but I think that is what you were alluding to?

Shoving it in your face since 2017
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

gergreg wrote:
El_Capitano wrote:I have been amazed at Penrith’s seemingly bottomless talent pool

It's a pretty solid development area and has been for a long, long time. I'm more amazed at their ability to stockpile so much quality depth, but I think that is what you were alluding to?

Yep!

How soon IS now?
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Too small? He is both taller (5cm) and heavier than Billy slater. I'm not saying he's going to be as good as Billy but I can't see how people can have written him off based off his full back performances at the raiders. I think he's shown promise. Let's not forget he was our fullback during the only 2 games where we beat top 8 opponents last year. Naturally I'd prefer they sign an established full back like Edwards (despite him being smaller than Abbey) but if they don't I'm not convinced Abbey can't do a job for us.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Seems certain he has moved down the pecking order anyway. He was effectively the Mounties fullback last night.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

To be fair at the same time the raiders decided to spend less on juniors the Panthers were doing the exact opposite. I think they are simply reaping the rewards from having some foresight. Sure some players are going to ditch you for other clubs but many won't if they get opportunities at the club that made them.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by greeneyed »

We took the wrong choice on juniors after losing Milford - a seriosly wrong choice - hopefully some of that is being rectified now.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Time they started locking up the spine players from the juniors and early. Push them up into ISP if they are good enough and let them mature for a few years. There are allot of back rowers etc around so no need to nurture to much there! Put time into some halves and lock them up cheaply mid term. Give them to Mcfadden for a year on there own while at mounties. Penrith have a lot of juniors but the broncos are the ones with the stockpile of spine players, in particular halves and wont let them go

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Its much harder with halves , few really kick on and we have had many that haven't.
There are Lewis and Croker kicking around at other clubs. Croker may stay a fringe player as they recruited Elgey.
Milford we identified very early , had him in our system for a long time then we couldn't keep him once we developed him.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I think losing Milford was an outcome of the same toxic club culture that ultimately cost furner his job. There was a time that Milford went on record saying he wants to be a raider for life. The club wasn't a happy unit in 2013. I dont think any player would have stayed in those circumstances.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

FROG wrote: February 17, 2019, 12:34 pm I think losing Milford was an outcome of the same toxic club culture that ultimately cost furner his job. There was a time that Milford went on record saying he wants to be a raider for life. The club wasn't a happy unit in 2013. I dont think any player would have stayed in those circumstances.
I think it was also to do with huge cash piles and promises made to him and particularly his family. I don't think he was personally that keen to leave.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: February 16, 2019, 7:53 pm Its much harder with halves , few really kick on and we have had many that haven't.
There are Lewis and Croker kicking around at other clubs. Croker may stay a fringe player as they recruited Elgey.
Milford we identified very early , had him in our system for a long time then we couldn't keep him once we developed him.
We’ve had plenty that haven’t imo. And they were ripe from under 20s which gave most people no real indication imo.

Waddell (a hooker, but a spine player), Cornish, Picker and Croker all didn’t happen but looked great in 20s. Williams plateaud as well to an extent. I have serious doubts over Lewis being a first grader too. I doubt he’ll see out the season at 7 at Canterbury.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

El_Capitano wrote: February 16, 2019, 3:05 pm
gergreg wrote:

Yep!

It's the best RL catchment area in the country. I might be biased, i grew up playing in the area (and getting routinely embarrassed by kids who much better than me, haha) but the it's not a seemingly bottomless talent pool, it is bottomless.
Their depth is simply borne out of that, we sign guys like Lui, Hunt, Abbey, Knight etc to round out our squad... We have to pay a little more, because if those guys were just minimum wage guys, they wouldnt be here, they'd stay close to come and be a minimum wage guy at the bulldogs or tigers etc

So we pay a little on top for those sorts of guys... where as Penrith are just promoting their local kids to minimum wage contracts until they prove it, and these are kids who are better and more talented than the free agents we're bringing in
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Dufty re-signs with the Dragons for another 2 years.. obviously why that one went quiet.
So he cools his heels for 12 months in a decent team, and then fullback is his in 20/21.

So far looks like we are holding fire and waiting to see what gets shaken out as the squads tighten.

I really think CNK is a risk, since he's been playing so much reserve grade wing. No idea what his ball playing is like, he threw one on the ground in the trial, but couldn't tell if it was touched by a defender due to distance of camera. Rest of his game is decent, and he was quite safe in the trial so will be interested to see how he goes in Bega.
Oldfield is a good backup for the outside backs and a decent winger. He is no kind of fullback.
Rapana could be a handy fullback, and is busy enough.
Makes the Bega trial well worth watching, and will be interesting to see how this works out in the first part of the season..
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Beejay wrote: February 18, 2019, 2:25 pm Dufty re-signs with the Dragons for another 2 years.. obviously why that one went quiet.
So he cools his heels for 12 months in a decent team, and then fullback is his in 20/21.

So far looks like we are holding fire and waiting to see what gets shaken out as the squads tighten.

I really think CNK is a risk, since he's been playing so much reserve grade wing. No idea what his ball playing is like, he threw one on the ground in the trial, but couldn't tell if it was touched by a defender due to distance of camera. Rest of his game is decent, and he was quite safe in the trial so will be interested to see how he goes in Bega.
Oldfield is a good backup for the outside backs and a decent winger. He is no kind of fullback.
Rapana could be a handy fullback, and is busy enough.
Makes the Bega trial well worth watching, and will be interesting to see how this works out in the first part of the season..
Ref and touchie didnt think it was touched.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Beejay wrote: February 18, 2019, 2:25 pm I really think CNK is a risk, since he's been playing so much reserve grade wing. No idea what his ball playing is like, he threw one on the ground in the trial, but couldn't tell if it was touched by a defender due to distance of camera. Rest of his game is decent, and he was quite safe in the trial so will be interested to see how he goes in Bega.
CNK looked really good playing behind a ressies team against a first grade team. I had him ahead of Gutho and the other Eels fullbacks. And he’d only just arrived at the club. That gives me hope for Bega and the season.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

He played about 25mins of fullback. He was safe, and made a great kick return. That's it.
It's a long season for a bloke who has played about 7 FG games and less than 5 games at fullback in the last 2 years.
I'm not saying he's crap. Just there is zero evidence he can be a first grade standard fullback in the NRL.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Beejay wrote: February 19, 2019, 6:39 am He played about 25mins of fullback. He was safe, and made a great kick return. That's it.
It's a long season for a bloke who has played about 7 FG games and less than 5 games at fullback in the last 2 years.
I'm not saying he's crap. Just there is zero evidence he can be a first grade standard fullback in the NRL.
He has 12 rounds to make it his own or rapana slots straight in
Dont delete this GE
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Trbojevic brothers want to be Sea Eagles for life despite salary cap pressure

Star Manly brothers Jake and Tom Trbojevic fear salary cap constraints could force them out of their beloved Sea Eagles. They have apparently attracted interest from the Eels despite the brothers having two years left on their contracts.

“The way the game is these days, with the salary cap, you never know if someone is going to get forced out or whatnot. But we would love to play together at Manly, that’s our goal.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... ad422b1670

One can dream
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

I've got a feeling rapana will be back a bit earlier than scheduled, hence why they haven't used the money they got from the NRL, is there any reports on his rehab anywhere ?

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Neeeegz wrote: February 19, 2019, 9:06 am I've got a feeling rapana will be back a bit earlier than scheduled, hence why they haven't used the money they got from the NRL, is there any reports on his rehab anywhere ?

No, but there was an article where he stated he is hopeful of coming back early. If we could get him back by round 6 or 7 it would be awesome.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

edwahu wrote:
Neeeegz wrote: February 19, 2019, 9:06 am I've got a feeling rapana will be back a bit earlier than scheduled, hence why they haven't used the money they got from the NRL, is there any reports on his rehab anywhere ?

No, but there was an article where he stated he is hopeful of coming back early. If we could get him back by round 6 or 7 it would be awesome.
Yeah for sure, that would be massive for us

magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Neeeegz wrote: February 19, 2019, 10:30 am
edwahu wrote:

Yeah for sure, that would be massive for us

As long as he is fit and they don't rush him back
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Storm have put Kasiano, Blair and Patrick Kaufusi on the market. Mulholland was also wrapping Kasiano this morning in an NRL article :hmmm
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Kasiano fat and lazy. They’ve wanted him gone for quite some time