What's your strongest possible Canberra Raiders 2019 line up?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: What's your strongest possible Canberra Raiders 2019 line up?

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: February 15, 2019, 10:11 pm How good was it to see him chasing Fergo? Looks in great nick to start the year.
Still a loser though.
Who are we talking about? Fergo got a break and got rounded up?
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

BadnMean wrote:
zim wrote: February 15, 2019, 10:11 pm How good was it to see him chasing Fergo? Looks in great nick to start the year.
Still a loser though.
Tapine. Was about the 2nd or 3rd man there. Provided the push over the sideline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

I know we get excited about our young forwards, but surely we're not starting Horsburgh against the Titans in Round 1? They are expected to start with a pack that has Wallace, Boyd, Arrow in the middle and Ryan James and Proctor on the edges. We couldn't be considering making a kid debut in round 1 away against that type of size.
I think I agree Woodger.

When Papa goes to Origin or Tapine gets injured/suspended (as tends to happen) or whatever else pops up in the season, then I think Horsburgh and Murchie get a start for a few weeks and who knows, maybe look so good they steal that bench spot. But sticking them in for the 26 round grind starting from Round 1 doesn't seem likely, wise or necessary.

Lui was solid last year, trialled well and has shown he can contribute. Guler played well at the end of last year, looked a FG'er and improved/expanded a little bit with each outing. I've got Lui and Guler ahead of Murchie and Horse at this stage- but fully expect to see one or both play 5-10 games this season.

Likewise if Lui or Guler looks busted/Sutton doesn't aim up then by all means, it's the young blokes turn.
Last edited by BadnMean on February 16, 2019, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Danaman137 wrote: February 16, 2019, 4:29 pm
BadnMean wrote:
Still a loser though.
Tapine. Was about the 2nd or 3rd man there. Provided the push over the sideline.

:thumbsup COuldn't have happened to a nice bloke.

Tapine has so much talent it's scary. He's had some very good games and some breathtaking plays, increased aggression- it would be so satisfying to see him put that together consistently and play 90% of games and have that real superstar year that he's always threatened. Take his spot as a pack leader.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Danaman137 wrote: February 16, 2019, 11:10 am
Matt wrote:
magoo wrote: February 15, 2019, 9:16 pm
Danaman137 wrote: February 15, 2019, 8:32 pm With the performance of the trial in mind:

1. Nicol-Klokstad
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Lui
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. J. Bateman

14. Havilli
15. Soliola
16. Horsburgh
17. Sutton

I'll have 1 of those
You are missing 1 glaring error. Guler for Lui.

I too think Murchie is very close. I think he and Horsbough might be battling Lui for that last spot. Right now id have the youngsters ahead.
Disagree. Lui was on a mission last night. He’s certainly one of the ones in danger of his spot being lost, but he suits up in round 1 for me.

You saw a different Lui to me in that game then.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Matt wrote:
Danaman137 wrote: February 16, 2019, 11:10 am
Matt wrote:
magoo wrote: February 15, 2019, 9:16 pm
Danaman137 wrote: February 15, 2019, 8:32 pm With the performance of the trial in mind:

1. Nicol-Klokstad
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Lui
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. J. Bateman

14. Havilli
15. Soliola
16. Horsburgh
17. Sutton

I'll have 1 of those
You are missing 1 glaring error. Guler for Lui.

I too think Murchie is very close. I think he and Horsbough might be battling Lui for that last spot. Right now id have the youngsters ahead.
Disagree. Lui was on a mission last night. He’s certainly one of the ones in danger of his spot being lost, but he suits up in round 1 for me.

You saw a different Lui to me in that game then.
I will say, I watched the game again and it seems I melded Lui and Royce Hunt into one... oops. Carry on

Bay 67
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Elliot Whitehead

Post by Bay 67 »

I think you have to go with the ones that have performed in First Grade before (with the exception of Luke Bateman) and below is the team that I think we should run out with. Horsburgh, Hunt and Murchie will definitely get a run not too far into the season.

Really torn about who plays at lock. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tapine or John Bateman there come the first whistle. I like Whitehead at 13 because he's the best ballplayer of the three. He has a great connection with Hodgson and gives us an extra option to run plays through, which should help Wighton to be able to sweep a little wider from 5/8.

1. Nicol-Klokstad
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Soliola
11. Tapine
12. J Bateman
13. Whitehead

14. Havilli
15. Lui
16. Guler
17. Sutton
Raiders Lime, what they really drink in the dressing room.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Lui was quite strong in the trial, as was Hunt- they both got stuck in. They went just as well as Guler.

What number did Sutton wear in the trial- is he slightly ginger? I think I had him confused for Horsburgh early on, but then I realised Horsburgh has a different haircut and I noticed he (Horsburgh) had a strong second half. So he looked better than Sutton imo.

Murchie tackled well all night, didn't see much of him with the ball.

Abbey and Simonsson didn't really look like first graders- didn't stand out. Kloklstad did.

1. CNK/Oldfield (half each)
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Kris (assuming BJ injured/rested)
5. Oldfield/CNK (half each)
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Papa
9. Hodgo
10. Sutton (I want more of a look at him so start him)
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. J. Bateman

14. Havili
15. Sia
16. Guler
17. Horsburgh
18. Lui
19. L. Bateman
20. Murchie
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: February 17, 2019, 7:53 pm Lui was quite strong in the trial, as was Hunt- they both got stuck in. They went just as well as Guler.

What number did Sutton wear in the trial- is he slightly ginger? I think I had him confused for Horsburgh early on, but then I realised Horsburgh has a different haircut and I noticed he (Horsburgh) had a strong second half. So he looked better than Sutton imo.

Murchie tackled well all night, didn't see much of him with the ball.

Abbey and Simonsson didn't really look like first graders- didn't stand out. Kloklstad did.

1. CNK/Oldfield (half each)
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Kris (assuming BJ injured/rested)
5. Oldfield/CNK (half each)
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Papa
9. Hodgo
10. Sutton (I want more of a look at him so start him)
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. J. Bateman

14. Havili
15. Sia
16. Guler
17. Horsburgh
18. Lui
19. L. Bateman
20. Murchie
Sutton was in 17. Had silver and pink (i think) boots
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Ah ok, yes I thought he was Horsburg in the first half. He was ok, plenty more to come from him as he gets used to the heat and style.
Thanks.
raider 86
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by raider 86 »

1. Nic Cotric / CNK
2. CNK / Nic Cotric
3. Beejay
4. Wighton
5. Croker (C)
6. Aidan Sezer (Right side with Beejay)
7. Sam Williams (Left side with Wighton)
8. Ryan Sutton
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Josh Papalii
11. John Bateman (Right side)
12. Elliot Whitehead (Left Side)
13. Joe Tapine

14. Savilli Havilli
15. Emre Guler
16. Sia Soliola
17. Corey Horsburgh

Id prefer Cotric @ the back but not against CNK if he can do it. Either way which ever one will side up with Beejay and who ever does will replicate what Rapana brings.

I really seriously think Wighton despite what Ricky thinks should play centre as if he miss behaves again then its only centre we have to worry about and not a spine spot. Yes that means the hattrick or double try scoring hero croker with his bad leg goes to the wing. I know every one here has dismissed it over the last 10 years but its time toots.

Williams will now have Wighton and Whitehead on either side for protection.

Joe Tapine likes to get suspended and injured so him playing lock and being replaceable there seems like the best spot for him moving forward.

Ive also given Sutton the starting gig as we need experince on the bench with Sia there. Or id be happy to play Guler in a swap for Sutton.

Corey Horsburgh is going to be a stud.

I know most of this wont happen as Wighton is penned into 5/8 but this is my 2019 team!
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

raider 86 wrote: February 19, 2019, 7:37 pm 1. Nic Cotric / CNK
2. CNK / Nic Cotric
3. Beejay
4. Wighton
5. Croker (C)
8. Ryan Sutton
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Josh Papalii
13. Joe Tapine

14. Savilli Havilli
15. Emre Guler
16. Sia Soliola
17. Corey Horsburgh

Id prefer Cotric @ the back but not against CNK if he can do it. Either way which ever one will side up with Beejay and who ever does will replicate what Rapana brings.
I like this team.🖒
CNK is not proven. Another trial may shed more light.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

raider 86 wrote: February 19, 2019, 7:37 pm 1. Nic Cotric / CNK
2. CNK / Nic Cotric
3. Beejay
4. Wighton
5. Croker (C)
8. Ryan Sutton
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Josh Papalii
13. Joe Tapine

14. Savilli Havilli
15. Emre Guler
16. Sia Soliola
17. Corey Horsburgh

I really seriously think Wighton despite what Ricky thinks should play centre as if he miss behaves again then its only centre we have to worry about and not a spine spot. Yes that means the hattrick or double try scoring hero croker with his bad leg goes to the wing. I know every one here has dismissed it over the last 10 years but its time toots.
I personally wouldn't have this team as my strongest line up (although I like the idea) but I don't think it's a bad suggestion at all to shift Croker to the wing over time. I'm all for the Wighton to 5/8 move for the time being but I wouldn't mind seeing Croker and Cotric split time between each other playing in the centres and on the wing (like what the Roosters were doing that one year). People seem to hate the idea but if we were say the Roosters, for example, we would likely be making these type of moves.

I'm not sold on Cotric at fullback - it was his chance to step up to the role this year and he declared himelf that he would rather be on the wing. You can't force somebody who isn't keen on learning how to play a position in to playing there and expect good results. I do think that he has enough size and skill to play at centre (a position which is easier to adapt to as compared to fullback) and excel in the role.