What's your strongest possible Canberra Raiders 2019 line up?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Re: What's your strongest possible Canberra Raiders 2019 line up?

Post by edwahu »

Surely we can't run out round 1 with a Union 7's player, who hasn't played a game of senior league playing in the spine.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

CNK will be playing Round 1... unless Edwards falls out of the sky into our laps.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: February 13, 2019, 1:31 pm CNK will be playing Round 1... unless Edwards falls out of the sky into our laps.
I know I've said this a thousand times now but looking at it simply, it's completely unacceptable to shed three starting players and to then replace them with ESL/Rugby 7s/reserve grade players. If we make a genuine improvement as a result, then it's fine. But the chance of it being a success is so slim... you're relying on so many unknown variables to fall in your favour.

I doubt the club sees it this way but it really should be Ricky Stuart's final chance this season. If it were up to me, I'd say that he has to do better than getting the team to scrape in to the finals to survive. And if we work ourselves in to another mathematical chance scenario, he's gotta go before season's end (and Mulholland too, being the recruitment manager). Surely our club's recruitment this off season has been the poorest in the comp.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I know that I've set my expectations high too but when Ricky was brought in, he and the club were talking about building the Raiders in to a powerhouse (meaning consistent finals appearances). I think it's perfectly reasonable for fans to expect more than scraping in to finals considering this. We're now in year 6 and there is no time for rebuilding or improvement left for this coaching group... we need to be challenging for the premiership now.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Raiders_Pat wrote: February 13, 2019, 4:14 pm I know that I've set my expectations high too but when Ricky was brought in, he and the club were talking about building the Raiders in to a powerhouse (meaning consistent finals appearances). I think it's perfectly reasonable for fans to expect more than scraping in to finals considering this. We're now in year 6 and there is no time for rebuilding or improvement left for this coaching group... we need to be challenging for the premiership now.
Are you sure youre not Pigman or Nickman :lol:

Its not unreasonable at all. Having made the prelim in '16, we should have at least made he finals the following yr, if not last yr too (the Hodgo injury was always going to hurt, but as we know, we didnt win the close games we should have even without him). The side was basically the same after all.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Raiders_Pat wrote: February 13, 2019, 4:11 pm
greeneyed wrote: February 13, 2019, 1:31 pm CNK will be playing Round 1... unless Edwards falls out of the sky into our laps.
I know I've said this a thousand times now but looking at it simply, it's completely unacceptable to shed three starting players and to then replace them with ESL/Rugby 7s/reserve grade players. If we make a genuine improvement as a result, then it's fine. But the chance of it being a success is so slim... you're relying on so many unknown variables to fall in your favour.

I doubt the club sees it this way but it really should be Ricky Stuart's final chance this season. If it were up to me, I'd say that he has to do better than getting the team to scrape in to the finals to survive. And if we work ourselves in to another mathematical chance scenario, he's gotta go before season's end (and Mulholland too, being the recruitment manager). Surely our club's recruitment this off season has been the poorest in the comp.
I think that your view on the replacement players is a little harsh. Rookies enter the league every single year, and like any sport, some make it and some fail. This is a gamble every time.

So I think that is harsh on Simonsson esp. The thing to remember is, he was an All Blacks 7s player. NZ make some of the best Union and 7s players in the world, so the fact that he made that squad tells you he is talented. Ok, he didnt get a cap, but still puts him in the top 20 or so 7s players in the country. The other thing to remember is that he played his junior footy in League, with us (played with Cotric in u16s) and the Dogs. So he isnt foreign to the game.

As for CNK, he had massive raps coming out of Jrs. He has been stuck behind the likes of RTS, Mamalo, Fusitua, Vatuvei, Beale, Hiku and Co since graduating u20s. This is a talented back 3, a representative level back 3, and therefore very tough to break into. He did get a few games a couple of years back, and looked pretty good. So, while he isnt likely to become a rep player anytime soon, that doesnt mean he wont be a perfectly adequate NRL footballer. This is us giving a fringe guy with some talent a chance.

As for the ESL players, Sutton has over 100 games at the English top level before he turned 23. He is in the English A side. This is definitely and educated guess. This is very like the Whitehead and Hodgson picks. Both were English A players with 100 games ESL experience. Now they are walk up starts in the England squad.

Then there is John Bateman, who is already in the England squad. I think this is as safe a bet as you can really get.

The only thing to really think about is expectations. Simonsson and CNK are rookies. Therefore, you have to give them the time to develop and understand where they are at, what their limitations are etc. CNK has be a pro for a couple of years now, so at least his preparation and day to day should be sorted. Sutton is a lot further along that line, as day to day prep, and wk in wk out grind should be normal to him. For him its now a case of adjusting to the speed and level of play he has to achieve. Which means at least a couple of months of adjustment, as Whitehead required in his first season here. TBH, I think it will take Bateman time to adjust too, but at least he has played international football, and thus the skill stuff should be sorted, it might just be a speed thing for him.

In short, I like the recruitment of these guys. It doesnt excuse the obvious shortfall, the void in the spine of a NRL quality fullback or half, as Wighton covers the other.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Matt wrote:

I think that your view on the replacement players is a little harsh. Rookies enter the league every single year, and like any sport, some make it and some fail. This is a gamble every time.

So I think that is harsh on Simonsson esp. The thing to remember is, he was an All Blacks 7s player. NZ make some of the best Union and 7s players in the world, so the fact that he made that squad tells you he is talented. Ok, he didnt get a cap, but still puts him in the top 20 or so 7s players in the country. The other thing to remember is that he played his junior footy in League, with us (played with Cotric in u16s) and the Dogs. So he isnt foreign to the game.

As for CNK, he had massive raps coming out of Jrs. He has been stuck behind the likes of RTS, Mamalo, Fusitua, Vatuvei, Beale, Hiku and Co since graduating u20s. This is a talented back 3, a representative level back 3, and therefore very tough to break into. He did get a few games a couple of years back, and looked pretty good. So, while he isnt likely to become a rep player anytime soon, that doesnt mean he wont be a perfectly adequate NRL footballer. This is us giving a fringe guy with some talent a chance.

As for the ESL players, Sutton has over 100 games at the English top level before he turned 23. He is in the English A side. This is definitely and educated guess. This is very like the Whitehead and Hodgson picks. Both were English A players with 100 games ESL experience. Now they are walk up starts in the England squad.

Then there is John Bateman, who is already in the England squad. I think this is as safe a bet as you can really get.

The only thing to really think about is expectations. Simonsson and CNK are rookies. Therefore, you have to give them the time to develop and understand where they are at, what their limitations are etc. CNK has be a pro for a couple of years now, so at least his preparation and day to day should be sorted. Sutton is a lot further along that line, as day to day prep, and wk in wk out grind should be normal to him. For him its now a case of adjusting to the speed and level of play he has to achieve. Which means at least a couple of months of adjustment, as Whitehead required in his first season here. TBH, I think it will take Bateman time to adjust too, but at least he has played international football, and thus the skill stuff should be sorted, it might just be a speed thing for him.

In short, I like the recruitment of these guys. It doesnt excuse the obvious shortfall, the void in the spine of a NRL quality fullback or half, as Wighton covers the other.
Great post!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dusty wrote:
Matt wrote:

Great post!

I hate to throw in the 'yeah but'. But our recruitment has improved an area which is our strength. We had arguably the best backrow/edge in the comp. I think Bateman is potentially a fantastic signing but is that an area where we really need improvement? How much will it actually improve the team? We have to move 1 international out of their preferred playing position to accommodate another international. I don't know that we're making any significant gains from this move.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The problem isn't that we recruit those types of players, it's that we only recruit those types.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gergreg wrote: February 14, 2019, 9:48 am
Dusty wrote:
Matt wrote:

Great post!

I hate to throw in the 'yeah but'. But our recruitment has improved an area which is our strength. We had arguably the best backrow/edge in the comp. I think Bateman is potentially a fantastic signing but is that an area where we really need improvement? How much will it actually improve the team? We have to move 1 international out of their preferred playing position to accommodate another international. I don't know that we're making any significant gains from this move.

You could argue we did that the day we signed Tapine, as we already had Papa and Whitey.

Papa had already played prop for us, TBF coz he was fat. Last yr he progressed to lock for us, and he plays prop for QLD. So, him moving to the middle isnt a bad thing.

The next thing is to look at the packs of the successful teams last yr, and tell me whats the common ground? Its mobile players. The Chooks played the GF with backrowers at prop - eg Matterson. So, we are going to see more an more teams picking forwards between 6'0"-6'2" and 95-105kgs in all positions. We did this with Bateman and Sutton.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

edwahu wrote: February 14, 2019, 9:51 am The problem isn't that we recruit those types of players, it's that we only recruit those types.
That's the problem I have with it too. Tbh if there was just one recruit who was a proven NRL player amongst the lot, I'd probably have a different view... I don't mind any of the signings, and I think at least Bateman and one of the others will be a success. But to only sign untested players is a massive risk, and if it doesn't pay off, then the coach and his recruitment manager should be out the door. If you're at the stage in your coaching where you can only attract players looking for a shot at the NRL and you can no longer move the club forward towards premiership goals, then your time is up imo.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Matt, appreciate your post and it makes sense. However, I think the broader discussion with this recruitment interrelates with our management of the salary cap. I mean, we know the extraordinary amount of money we offered Austin at the beginning of last season where someone had conspired to offer him was it $800k a season? Then we've lost Boyd who was upgraded after he played for Australia so wouldn't have been on peanuts, and Paulo who was another we were paying good overs to and I've seen the figure $600k thrown around but not sure of accuracy. So someone like me looks at the money you free up with those 3 and marries it up with buying 2 English players looking for an NRL opportunity so you don't have to drain the bank for them, and then Simmonsen on development and CNK. I know we pay overs because in a way we have to but I look at the transactions that have happened here and what it should've meant for our wage bill and it is beyond belief that we didn't have even say $300k - $400k to lure a Dylan Edwards or similar. Austin's offer alone should really cover Bateman and Sutton and that is being generous so what else have we upgraded so significantly where about a million bucks from Boyd and Paulo is now not available? Our accountant surely is only contactable by phone on his landline in Nigeria.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Woodgers wrote: February 14, 2019, 11:29 am Matt, appreciate your post and it makes sense. However, I think the broader discussion with this recruitment interrelates with our management of the salary cap. I mean, we know the extraordinary amount of money we offered Austin at the beginning of last season where someone had conspired to offer him was it $800k a season? Then we've lost Boyd who was upgraded after he played for Australia so wouldn't have been on peanuts, and Paulo who was another we were paying good overs to and I've seen the figure $600k thrown around but not sure of accuracy. So someone like me looks at the money you free up with those 3 and marries it up with buying 2 English players looking for an NRL opportunity so you don't have to drain the bank for them, and then Simmonsen on development and CNK. I know we pay overs because in a way we have to but I look at the transactions that have happened here and what it should've meant for our wage bill and it is beyond belief that we didn't have even say $300k - $400k to lure a Dylan Edwards or similar. Austin's offer alone should really cover Bateman and Sutton and that is being generous so what else have we upgraded so significantly where about a million bucks from Boyd and Paulo is now not available? Our accountant surely is only contactable by phone on his landline in Nigeria.
Bateman wont be on peanuts as he is an international. Did we ever workout if the transfer fee was on the cap? Coz that wasnt cheap.
I reckon Sutton comes in on a mid range contract. 100 ESL games at 23 is good going, esp for a prop.
As yes, fully understand they we pay overs for everyone, and we have to wear that unfortunately.

That said, your right, the cap is dead set stuffed. Coz I too look at that and wonder why we cant afford to poach an Edwards.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Matt wrote: February 14, 2019, 1:33 pm
Woodgers wrote: February 14, 2019, 11:29 am Matt, appreciate your post and it makes sense. However, I think the broader discussion with this recruitment interrelates with our management of the salary cap. I mean, we know the extraordinary amount of money we offered Austin at the beginning of last season where someone had conspired to offer him was it $800k a season? Then we've lost Boyd who was upgraded after he played for Australia so wouldn't have been on peanuts, and Paulo who was another we were paying good overs to and I've seen the figure $600k thrown around but not sure of accuracy. So someone like me looks at the money you free up with those 3 and marries it up with buying 2 English players looking for an NRL opportunity so you don't have to drain the bank for them, and then Simmonsen on development and CNK. I know we pay overs because in a way we have to but I look at the transactions that have happened here and what it should've meant for our wage bill and it is beyond belief that we didn't have even say $300k - $400k to lure a Dylan Edwards or similar. Austin's offer alone should really cover Bateman and Sutton and that is being generous so what else have we upgraded so significantly where about a million bucks from Boyd and Paulo is now not available? Our accountant surely is only contactable by phone on his landline in Nigeria.
Bateman wont be on peanuts as he is an international. Did we ever workout if the transfer fee was on the cap? Coz that wasnt cheap.
I reckon Sutton comes in on a mid range contract. 100 ESL games at 23 is good going, esp for a prop.
As yes, fully understand they we pay overs for everyone, and we have to wear that unfortunately.

That said, your right, the cap is dead set stuffed. Coz I too look at that and wonder why we cant afford to poach an Edwards.
Im excited that we have Bateman. Im really looking forward to seeing him play, and see what he can do for our forward pack.

But it does kind of highlight that it was money that didnt need to be spent - a second row rotation of Whitehead, Tapine and Murchie is pretty strong - it didnt really need another international level player when we are going into the season with 1 established half and no first grade experienced fullback.

Put it this way - I would be happier if the Bateman money was spent on Edwards.

I know I will grow to love him, I just have a feeling he will be a Raiders legend, but our squad is lacking balance. If some gambles with Wighton/CNK/Sutton etc come off, it may not be an issue, but we are relying on a lot of gambles heading into this year.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Yeah no slight on Bateman, I agree I think he is going to be good for the club but by the same token the club shouldn't be paying huge money for blokes yet to prove themselves in the NRL just because a couple have worked out for us now. That is how we should've been negotiating with him, advising that he's a good player and we want him but it is a position we don't necessarily need to fill and if he's looking for an NRL option he might not be on huge money to commence with.

I got the same thought the other day when I read the Rapana article about how he really doesn't want to leave and is happy here. In that case, we have a fairly strong negotiating position so even though we really want to keep him, offer him a bit more with a final right of reply if he gets other offers, but I feel like this club doesn't want to risk losing any player that expresses interest so we go in way too hard. And Ricky is mates with them and mates look after mates! It can be the only way we are so up the creek with the cap.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Woodgers wrote: February 14, 2019, 2:13 pm Yeah no slight on Bateman, I agree I think he is going to be good for the club but by the same token the club shouldn't be paying huge money for blokes yet to prove themselves in the NRL just because a couple have worked out for us now. That is how we should've been negotiating with him, advising that he's a good player and we want him but it is a position we don't necessarily need to fill and if he's looking for an NRL option he might not be on huge money to commence with.

I got the same thought the other day when I read the Rapana article about how he really doesn't want to leave and is happy here. In that case, we have a fairly strong negotiating position so even though we really want to keep him, offer him a bit more with a final right of reply if he gets other offers, but I feel like this club doesn't want to risk losing any player that expresses interest so we go in way too hard. And Ricky is mates with them and mates look after mates! It can be the only way we are so up the creek with the cap.
Removing all emotion from the equation - does it make sense for us to have 2 rep level wingers on our books? We have Cotric signed up for a while. I couldnt stand the thought of loosing Rapa, but thats a lot of money to have wrapped up in wingers when our halves are ****...
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Food for thought is that Ryley Jacks was to be signed at the same time as the english boys. If he signs instead of heading to the Titans after the handshake then Wighton is still at fullback and we have a spine of:

1. Wighton
6. Jacks
7. Sezer
9. Hodgson

Wonder how that would have changed our signings.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: February 14, 2019, 2:37 pm Food for thought is that Ryley Jacks was to be signed at the same time as the english boys. If he signs instead of heading to the Titans after the handshake then Wighton is still at fullback and we have a spine of:

1. Wighton
6. Jacks
7. Sezer
9. Hodgson

I liked the idea of Jacks. A 2ndary half, that is basically unproven, that could tackle.
My Q is, whats the difference between Jacks and CNK?
Its an unproven spine player looking for a gig.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Maybe we can afford to poach Edwards, but as yet the Panthers are unwilling to let him go, and Edwards is unwilling to give up what he thinks is a fullback spot in a team he is happy with.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

It would be pretty sweet if we could instead get DWZ using part of Rapana's relief fund. He is a "winger" after all.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Matt wrote: February 14, 2019, 2:48 pm
zim wrote: February 14, 2019, 2:37 pm Food for thought is that Ryley Jacks was to be signed at the same time as the english boys. If he signs instead of heading to the Titans after the handshake then Wighton is still at fullback and we have a spine of:

1. Wighton
6. Jacks
7. Sezer
9. Hodgson

I liked the idea of Jacks. A 2ndary half, that is basically unproven, that could tackle.
I think 25 games for the Storm with nearly all of them in the halves is enough to give you a good idea of where he stands. It's not unproven at all. He's either good enough for you to put in your 1st grade side or not.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

zim wrote: February 14, 2019, 2:52 pm

1. Wighton
6. Jacks
7. Sezer
9. Hodgson

I think 25 games for the Storm with nearly all of them in the halves is enough to give you a good idea of where he stands. It's not unproven at all. He's either good enough for you to put in your 1st grade side or not.
be interesting to see where he sits in the Titans Spine.. Taylor, Peats and Brimson will be in the spine,
which leaves Jacks, Roberts and Rein to fight it out for the other spine and bench utility spot
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Coastalraider wrote: February 14, 2019, 2:18 pm
Woodgers wrote: February 14, 2019, 2:13 pm Yeah no slight on Bateman, I agree I think he is going to be good for the club but by the same token the club shouldn't be paying huge money for blokes yet to prove themselves in the NRL just because a couple have worked out for us now. That is how we should've been negotiating with him, advising that he's a good player and we want him but it is a position we don't necessarily need to fill and if he's looking for an NRL option he might not be on huge money to commence with.

Removing all emotion from the equation - does it make sense for us to have 2 rep level wingers on our books? We have Cotric signed up for a while. I couldnt stand the thought of loosing Rapa, but thats a lot of money to have wrapped up in wingers when our halves are ****...
TBH, Id move on BJ before Rapa. I think Cotric is a BJ type centre, potentially better, so your not losing anything there. Then you sign or keep a CNK or Oldie on the wing. They are perfectly serviceable players.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Beejay wrote: February 14, 2019, 2:48 pm

Maybe we can afford to poach Edwards, but as yet the Panthers are unwilling to let him go, and Edwards is unwilling to give up what he thinks is a fullback spot in a team he is happy with.
The last I heard it was the $$$ that was the sticking point. Us paying overs to get him of course.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

He's still on contract with the Panthers, so us paying overs shouldn't really matter whether they let him go or not. What would the Panthers care if we're paying him $450k or $600k ?
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I'm hoping we do the same thing we did with Paulo and Tarpine, get him to sign for 2020 and beyond then force an early release before June 30.

I have a horrible feeling Raiders will do that but with Bevan French instead
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Sid wrote: February 14, 2019, 2:55 pm

1. Wighton
6. Jacks
7. Sezer
9. Hodgson

be interesting to see where he sits in the Titans Spine.. Taylor, Peats and Brimson will be in the spine,
which leaves Jacks, Roberts and Rein to fight it out for the other spine and bench utility spot
I think we'll see Roberts at 6 and Jacks in reserve grade to start. Taylor playing well with Roberts is a big reason they got him back.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Beejay wrote:He's still on contract with the Panthers, so us paying overs shouldn't really matter whether they let him go or not. What would the Panthers care if we're paying him $450k or $600k ?
I think its about how much the Raiders were expecting the Panthers to contribute to the contract. Not the actual amount offered to Edwards.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: February 14, 2019, 3:37 pm
Sid wrote: February 14, 2019, 2:55 pm

1. Wighton
6. Jacks
7. Sezer
9. Hodgson

I think we'll see Roberts at 6 and Jacks in reserve grade to start. Taylor playing well with Roberts is a big reason they got him back.
Word at Titans is that Jacks will play at 6 and Brimson as an impact utility
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

1. Wighton
6. Jacks
7. Sezer
9. Hodgson

He wasn't asked to do anything more than make his tackles and kick if required. Smith did everything else. And TBH, it was to the detriment of the team. They made the finals after they took the leash off Croft, and Hughes moved to 6.
greeneyed
Don Furner

What's your strongest possible Canberra Raiders 2019 line up?

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote:
Beejay wrote:He's still on contract with the Panthers, so us paying overs shouldn't really matter whether they let him go or not. What would the Panthers care if we're paying him $450k or $600k ?
I think its about how much the Raiders were expecting the Panthers to contribute to the contract. Not the actual amount offered to Edwards.

I don’t think it’s about this. Panthers wouldn’t release given DWZ is not fully fit to start the season. The Panthers would have only paid what they’ve actually already paid out since November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I think it was just a rumour given life by our hope and we never actually made an offer.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Ch 7 last night had a puff piece on Edwards, and how he's their future, the new Billy Slater, and how he's pushed DWZ to the wing. Seems like he was never going anywhere. Or they are trying to reassure him that he chose the right offer. Or they don't really like DWZ.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote:I think it was just a rumour given life by our hope and we never actually made an offer.
That’s definitely not the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Matt wrote: February 14, 2019, 2:56 pm
Coastalraider wrote: February 14, 2019, 2:18 pm

TBH, Id move on BJ before Rapa. I think Cotric is a BJ type centre, potentially better, so your not losing anything there. Then you sign or keep a CNK or Oldie on the wing. They are perfectly serviceable players.
Yep fair call.