Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Hodgson announced as co-captain

Post by sprintman »

Just heard him on the radio, and realised he doesn’t sound so pommy these days
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

sprintman wrote:Just heard him on the radio, and realised he doesn’t sound so pommy these days
Put him in a game day situation, ie under fatigue and he'll sound like Brad Pitt from Snatch. That's when Croker will step up, translate and prove all the doubters wrong.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'Chalk and cheese' Jarrod Croker and Josh Hodgson look to fix inconsistent Canberra Raiders

They're like chalk and cheese, but the Canberra Raiders' new co-captaincy partnership believe their different approaches can help end the Green Machine's inconsistent run.

"We're probably opposite me and Hodgey. I'm probably a little bit too laid back sometimes. I could probably calm him down and he can probably rev me up a few times," Croker said. "I'm sure we'll balance each other out quite well. We know what a player he is, he's already a leader in his own right around the club, around the community.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50no9.html

All I want for Christmas is... The Raiders to finally break their inconsistent run by forcing their way back into the NRL's top eight and becoming a premiership force: https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/tennis ... 50nm6.html
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The odd coupleImage
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Hear from Canberra Raiders Jarrod Croker and Josh Hodgson on their new co-captaincy roles

The Canberra Raiders' new co-captains say they're looking forward to joining forces in a bid to steer the club back to finals football.

Josh Hodgson will join Jarrod Croker in the role next season - in a move aimed at strengthening the leadership within the club, WIN News Canberra reports

Video: http://ow.ly/NSus30n4hC7
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Hear from Canberra Raiders centre Jarrod Croker and hooker Josh Hodgson about how they'll work together as co-captains in 2019

If there's power in numbers, the Canberra Raiders are doing everything they can to boost their strength, Nine News Canberra reports.

Video: http://ow.ly/GrkU30n4k0K
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I have been an advocate of this move so I am in favour. I wish both Captains well.

I think the changes to the refereeing hierarchy will also provide a more even playing field. The joke that was the Raiders v Sharks match (one of Hodgo's Captaincy 'losses') where the officials did not follow the rules of the game and a touch judge demoted but the whistle blower only moved sideways were an indictment on the then Refs boss, Archer. He has been rightly punted imo.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

RedRaider wrote: December 21, 2018, 10:06 pm I have been an advocate of this move so I am in favour. I wish both Captains well.

I think the changes to the refereeing hierarchy will also provide a more even playing field. The joke that was the Raiders v Sharks match (one of Hodgo's Captaincy 'losses') where the officials did not follow the rules of the game and a touch judge demoted but the whistle blower only moved sideways were an indictment on the then Refs boss, Archer. He has been rightly punted imo.
Amen, brother.

Captaincy changes and refereeing overhauls won’t fix the big issues for us but they’ll help.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

RD, Our team and individual defensive efforts are what's most needed as finishing 10th worst defensively means a poor season. But it requires a person on field able to give players a rev up from a position of authority. Jarrod Croker is a good bloke but he is not a 'lay down the law' personality type.

I think that is needed with this team and most teams. A Captain has the acknowledged authority. This footy team will not function as a self-directed work team. Some say, 'just take authority' and speak up. But I think Hodgo was too respectful of JCs position to do that.

Our 2 best wins of 2018 were against the eventual Premiers and the competitions top try scoring club. Imo Hodgo's Captaincy played a positive role in those outcomes and I'm hoping for more in 2019.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I think it's impossible to measure a negative or positive effect from a captaincy change in Rugby League. I can't think of any examples where there is a correlation to a change in results but narrowing it down to captaincy would be very tough.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Ed, I think a number of changes were necessary if we are to turn around two seasons of finishing 10th. I reckon some of the changes to the squad we have seen were necessary. For me there are still some 'on field' loose cannons who need to get their emotions under control.

A strong vocal Captain will help, but it doesn't guarantee to stop 100% of the brain fades which saw players sent to the bin or later suspended. As an example, even Cameron Smith could not contain the Munster mayhem in the Grand Final, but no reasonable person would say Smith isn't a stand out, on field leader. I don't think the Storm would be as good as they have been with say a Cheyse Blair with the (c) beside his name.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

RedRaider wrote: December 22, 2018, 8:39 am RD, Our team and individual defensive efforts are what's most needed as finishing 10th worst defensively means a poor season. But it requires a person on field able to give players a rev up from a position of authority. Jarrod Croker is a good bloke but he is not a 'lay down the law' personality type.

I think that is needed with this team and most teams. A Captain has the acknowledged authority. This footy team will not function as a self-directed work team. Some say, 'just take authority' and speak up. But I think Hodgo was too respectful of JCs position to do that.

Our 2 best wins of 2018 were against the eventual Premiers and the competitions top try scoring club. Imo Hodgo's Captaincy played a positive role in those outcomes and I'm hoping for more in 2019.
I always love this selective use of evidence in attempt to prove a point. A good win after we're out of finals contention and you credit the stand in skipper while ignoring our prior losses under him which put us out of contention to begin with.

The simple fact is whoever was allocated captain duties had zero impact on our performances in 2018. It will also have No impact on our 2019 season.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Hodgson announced as co-captain

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:
RedRaider wrote: December 22, 2018, 8:39 am RD, Our team and individual defensive efforts are what's most needed as finishing 10th worst defensively means a poor season. But it requires a person on field able to give players a rev up from a position of authority. Jarrod Croker is a good bloke but he is not a 'lay down the law' personality type.

I always love this selective use of evidence in attempt to prove a point. A good win after we're out of finals contention and you credit the stand in skipper while ignoring our prior losses under him which put us out of contention to begin with.

The simple fact is whoever was allocated captain duties had zero impact on our performances in 2018. It will also have No impact on our 2019 season.
Hahaha yeah, he had two wins out of his nine games as captain and they were those two games and the reason we won was his captaincy.

The other seven games we lost with the finals on the line with him as captain were not his fault. Probably Croker’s fault still somehow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

edwahu wrote:I think it's impossible to measure a negative or positive effect from a captaincy change in Rugby League. I can't think of any examples where there is a correlation to a change in results but narrowing it down to captaincy would be very tough.
Exactly my point. Which makes me wonder why you’d switch to the ludicrous two-captain system when we already have a perfectly fine captain.

Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

The Nickman wrote: December 22, 2018, 12:53 pm
edwahu wrote:I think it's impossible to measure a negative or positive effect from a captaincy change in Rugby League. I can't think of any examples where there is a correlation to a change in results but narrowing it down to captaincy would be very tough.
Exactly my point. Which makes me wonder why you’d switch to the ludicrous two-captain system when we already have a perfectly fine captain.

What all this makes ME wonder is perhaps the Raiders don't think they had a "perfectly fine captain".
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

The last time we had dual captains i remember one captainconstantly getting told to walk away because the ref wanted to talk to the captainwhen the other was acturally off the field

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Cranky Old Man wrote: December 22, 2018, 1:03 pm

What all this makes ME wonder is perhaps the Raiders don't think they had a "perfectly fine captain".
If that was the case he would no longer be captain
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Croker is a favourite son who seems to be exempt from criticism, even criticism of his captaincy. Appointing a co captain is what you do when your captain is not very good at the job.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cranky Old Man wrote: December 22, 2018, 2:42 pm
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Croker is a favourite son who seems to be exempt from criticism, even criticism of his captaincy. Appointing a co captain is what you do when your captain is not very good at the job.
I guess the judges made a huge mistake in 2016 then when they made him Dally M Captain of the Year.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

edwahu wrote: December 22, 2018, 10:34 am I think it's impossible to measure a negative or positive effect from a captaincy change in Rugby League. I can't think of any examples where there is a correlation to a change in results but narrowing it down to captaincy would be very tough.
You can’t think of any because there isn’t any
I would bet my mortgage that any analysis is captain to results would show there is zero correlation between who is captain and on field results

Red Raider is stuck in some 1970’s time warp where the captain needed to be the hardest **** in the team so he could intimidate team mates into actually training hard and giving a **** when they were playing for free
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Cranky Old Man wrote: December 22, 2018, 1:03 pm

I would also bet my mortgage that not a single person at the club thinks Croker isn’t a good captain
This is not about Croker, it’s about formalising a role Hodgson has had with the team since he arrived here haha

The idea that Hodgson is going to make a material impact because he’s captain is immediately debunked by anyone who’s actually watched the team play

Hodgson’s influence on key captain decisions, and his vocal style after a try is scored/conceded could only be missed by the blind, deaf and dumb

He’s been a co captain in every sense bar title since about 3 months into his first season
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Bit surprised at this chat. A captain must be able to have some influence or there’d be no need for one.

Croker appears to be a good captain but Hodgson is clearly a natural. Not saying he’s definitely going to be better but he could be. At worst, we’ll rarely have to have a stand-in captain. At best, we’ve got our best and most influential player with more authority to impose himself on the team or refs or coach or media, when necessary, and he does so in a way that helps us.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Pigman wrote: December 22, 2018, 3:21 pm
edwahu wrote: December 22, 2018, 10:34 am I think it's impossible to measure a negative or positive effect from a captaincy change in Rugby League. I can't think of any examples where there is a correlation to a change in results but narrowing it down to captaincy would be very tough.
I would bet my mortgage that any analysis is captain to results would show there is zero correlation between who is captain and on field results

Red Raider is stuck in some 1970’s time warp where the captain needed to be the hardest **** in the team so he could intimidate team mates into actually training hard and giving a **** when they were playing for free
I think we mean causation. I'd guess Andrew Johns would show a pretty strong correlation.

Anyway I reckon you are 99% right but I'd be surprised if there was never any positive impact from a captaincy change given squad politics. I'm sure it's had knock on effects at some point.

If I saw an organization that makes a lot of good decisions making a change like this I'd be more inclined to thinking it might have some significance. In our case, not so much.
Last edited by edwahu on December 22, 2018, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The Nickman wrote: December 22, 2018, 12:51 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

Hahaha yeah, he had two wins out of his nine games as captain and they were those two games and the reason we won was his captaincy.

The other seven games we lost with the finals on the line with him as captain were not his fault. Probably Croker’s fault still somehow.

Nickman you used to be good with facts:
Jarrod Croker was injured in Rd18 vs Cowboys. He was injured early but then came off around 30 minutes into the match. Raiders were leading 8-6 at the time. Hodgo captained the rest of the game which we won 38-12. Yes I think Hodgo had a role in that win.
Hodgo captained - including this match - 8 times for 3 wins on the score board.
The game after the Cowboys was the infamous Sharks match which held the media attention for a week because the Raiders were dudded by officials who did not follow the rules of the game. Hodgo's Captaincy score sheet, imo should therefore, if the rules were followed, be 4 from 8 or 50%. The week after that we were towelled by the Storm and on that day no side was going to match them let alone the weakened Raiders.

Jack Wighton had been suspended following Rd 15 and did not play again in 2018. Sezer was injured during the Cowboys game and played only once more, in Rd21 vs Penrith where once again there were some dubious ref decisions which cost the game imo. But the poor defense of Paulo and Austin in particular allowed Penrith back into the game before we copped the rough end of the pineapple. We were down our two best goal kickers for the balance of the season.

So the way I look at it, with Hodgo at the helm and with a weakened side we were 50% with him as Captain. I'm glad he is co-Captain for 2019.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I can't wait to hear the outcome when you get on the phone to Craig Bellamy and tell him that Captaincy is irrelevant and that Cheyse Blair could do as good a job as Captain as Cameron Smith. :roflmao
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

When announcement of a co Captain is the highlight of your off season, you know your club is in deep ****!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Red Raider... the stats show Nick is correct. Josh Hodgson was not captain in Round 18. It is really stretching it to suggest his record should be four from eight. The facts are Hodgson has a two from seven record as captain in 2018. The facts show Hodgson was also captain in the first two rounds of 2017, both last gasp losses. That is a 2-7 record as captain.

I love Hodgo, and prior to his injury, was in the top two hookers in the world. I hope he does a great job as co-captain and expect he will.

But the limited statistics don't somehow "prove" he is the difference between the team winning and losing, simply because he has (c) beside his name.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Ruben Daley wrote: December 22, 2018, 3:32 pm Bit surprised at this chat. A captain must be able to have some influence or there’d be no need for one.
The Sunday game day need is procedural
Who does the ref speak to when warning the team, who gets to approach them to question decisions, who makes the decisions on penalties (I.e goal va quick tap, and in our case the answer is Ricky Stuart makes that decision.), who’s mandated (or heavily encouraged, I don’t know if it’s mandated in RL) to be available for comment at post game press conferences

The need is basically Monday to Saturday, to be the face of the club the most prominent local voice, a well spoken, even tempered voice that may have to navigate some weekly commitments during times where thorns aren’t going well, the one you trust most to not get arrested, or have charges filed and bring embarrassment to the club
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

RedRaider wrote: December 22, 2018, 3:57 pm

I can't wait to hear the outcome when you get on the phone to Craig Bellamy and tell him that Captaincy is irrelevant and that Cheyse Blair could do as good a job as Captain as Cameron Smith. :roflmao
You’ve lost what little is left of your sanity if you truly believe the same storm team over the last decade, with all their top end talent at the spine positions wouldn’t be a juggernaut irrespective of who was captains

I mean if my father put that take out there, I might have him committed for his own safety
Imagine thinking the reason the storm are an all time great RL dynasty because Cam Smith is captain, rather than because Cam Smith is the best player to ever lace a boot and has spent his career surrounded by guys like Slater, Inglis, Folou, Cronk, Maloney, and about 20 other world class footballers

The storm are good because Cam Smith is the GOAT, and they’ve consistently surrounded him other all time greats and international level players. Not because he’s a captain
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I bet Red believes the secret to the ‘94 raiders team was Meninga’s captaincy and not that every member of the top 13 was an international rep

And probably puts Qld and Australia’s domination of the rep teams is down to smiths captaincy and not the talent disparity

Though I guess on the basis on the waffle posted about where I think he linked the successful prosecution of Teflon Don Gotti to Hodgson’s captaincy, we’d have to exclude those kanagroo games where they choked under smiths watch because there is undoubtedly some insane reason why that’s not really on him and AUS win % with him should really be considered 100%

Haha
EDIT
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: December 22, 2018, 4:08 pm Red Raider... the stats show Nick is correct. Josh Hodgson was not captain in Round 18. It is really stretching it to suggest his record should be four from eight. The facts are Hodgson has a two from seven record as captain in 2018. The facts show Hodgson was also captain in the first two rounds of 2017, both last gasp losses. That is a 2-7 record as captain.

I love Hodgo, and prior to his injury, was in the top two hookers in the world. I hope he does a great job as co-captain and expect he will.

But the limited statistics don't somehow "prove" he is the difference between the team winning and losing, simply because he has (c) beside his name.
GE, Hodgo was Captain for 50 minutes of the Cowboys game. When he took the role we were leading 8-6. He had a big influence on our winning that game imo. If we follow your logic we did far better with JC off the field and with no captain. That is not what happened.

Do you not believe the Raiders were dudded in the Sharks match? Even the video ref was sacked following that game.

His 2018 record should be 4 from 8 or 50% if the officials used the rules in the Sharks match.

I have never said that Captaincy is the sole cause of a win or a loss, but imo ineffective captaincy is one factor.

Some believe a Captain is irrelevant. If that is the case Club CEOs could be saving a lot of money with no extra's for being Captain. Talk to coaches. I've not heard one dismiss the role like some opinions offer in this thread.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RedRaider wrote: December 22, 2018, 5:08 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 22, 2018, 4:08 pm Red Raider... the stats show Nick is correct. Josh Hodgson was not captain in Round 18. It is really stretching it to suggest his record should be four from eight. The facts are Hodgson has a two from seven record as captain in 2018. The facts show Hodgson was also captain in the first two rounds of 2017, both last gasp losses. That is a 2-7 record as captain.

GE, Hodgo was Captain for 50 minutes of the Cowboys game. When he took the role we were leading 8-6. He had a big influence on our winning that game imo. If we follow your logic we did far better with JC off the field and with no captain. That is not what happened.

Do you not believe the Raiders were dudded in the Sharks match? Even the video ref was sacked following that game.

His 2018 record should be 4 from 8 or 50% if the officials used the rules in the Sharks match.

I have never said that Captaincy is the sole cause of a win or a loss, but imo ineffective captaincy is one factor.

Some believe a Captain is irrelevant. If that is the case Club CEOs could be saving a lot of money with no extra's for being Captain. Talk to coaches. I've not heard one dismiss the role like some opinions offer in this thread.
I see a long list of would haves and could haves and should have beens in there. It is probably as long as the team's would haves, could haves and should have beens in the past two years. But the facts are, his record as captain at the Raiders is 2 and 7. He probably will do a good job as co-captain. But to hang your case on his record as captain... well it doesn't stack up. I don't believe we have any more wins with (c) beside his name than we'd have otherwise had.

Jarrod Croker has better win-loss statistics as captain than Josh Hodgson, so if those statistics are to be relied upon in determining the captain...
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Pigman wrote: December 22, 2018, 4:33 pm I bet Red believes the secret to the ‘94 raiders team was Meninga’s captaincy and not that every member of the top 13 was an international rep

And probably puts Qld and Australia’s domination of the rep teams is down to smiths captaincy and not the talent disparity

Though I guess on the basis on the waffle posted about where I think he linked the successful prosecution of Teflon Don Gotti to Hodgson’s captaincy, we’d have to exclude those kanagroo games where they choked under smiths watch because there is undoubtedly some insane reason why that’s not really on him and AUS win % with him should really be considered 100%

Haha
EDIT
Rep players can be the hardest of all to Captain because they are above average players and know it. I'm surprised you would downgrade the influence of a strong Captain like Immortal Mal Meninga. His Captaincy record is outstanding and yes I think the Raiders played better under his leadership than they would have under Brent Todd. But each to their own.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

So GE, who was Captain for the majority of the Cowboys match - Peter Brady?
Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

Hodgo will have strong support from the playing group and I think he will do a great job all the best to him.