TPAs per club “revealed”

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: TPAs per club revealed

Post by greeneyed »

Third Party Agreements

Third party agreements are payments made by companies directly to players. There is no restriction on the amount a player can earn through third party agreements where he is being paid for his own intellectual property, without the need to employ club logos or names and where the company involved is neither a club sponsor nor are they acting on behalf of a club to secure the player's services. An example of this is a player promoting a brand or product, for example, Billy Slater and Australian Bananas.

All third party agreements must be registered and approved beforehand. This is to ensure that they do not become a way for clubs or players to use sponsors or third parties to undermine the salary cap and also for the game to ensure the protection of club and game intellectual property. There are provisions for club sponsors to enter into agreements with elite players under the Marquee Player Agreement allowance.

What players can earn outside the salary cap

$100,000 - Motor Vehicle Allowance – a maximum amount of five motor vehicles may be provided to players in the Top 30 outside of the salary cap. (Valued at $20,000 each).

Unlimited - Players can earn unlimited amounts from corporate sponsors who are not associated with the club and who do not use the game's intellectual property (no club logos, jerseys or emblems) provided these are pre-approved by both a Player’s Club and the NRL. These agreements may not be negotiated by the club as an incentive for a player to sign a contract, nor can they be guaranteed by the club.

Other Benefits - Tertiary education fees, approved traineeships, medical insurance costs, relocation/temporary accommodation costs are not included in the cap but must be approved.

In addition to allowances, the following benefits to players are excluded:

Tertiary education (TAFE and university).
Approved Traineeships.
Medical insurance costs.
Reasonable Relocation and temporary accommodation costs.
Payments from representative games and events such as All Stars.
Prize money

What about money paid from other people or companies?

If a player is receiving money from any person as a way of inducing him to play for the club, then that money will be included in the Salary Cap.

Income that a player earns from parties not related to his club is generally not included in the Salary Cap, however, the details of the agreement must be advised to the club by the player.

The club must then get approval for the agreement from the Salary Cap Auditor in order for the remuneration to be excluded.

Players are also able to enter into agreements with game sponsors, referred to as Sponsor Leveraging Agreements. There is no maximum amount and they are excluded from the salary cap.

https://www.nrl.com/operations/integrity/salary-cap/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I feel repeatedly betrayed by the administration of the NRL. They tell you something, but you cannot trust them. We’ve simply been lied to on this issue, over and over. Some of the people at the NRL are simply spin merchants. The game and the fans deserve better.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL grand final could lead to Canberra Raiders third party boost

Canberra Raiders recruitment guru Peter Mulholland says their stunning 2019 could lead to a spike in third-party agreements for the Green Machine.

"Yeah [the Raiders could get a TPA boost], but again they've got to be approved by the NRL and we're only a small town," Mulholland said. "There's only a certain amount of money within the town.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: TPAs per club “revealed”

Post by greeneyed »

This really does underline why rugby league fans shouldn’t trust anything the NRL says. They have trashed any remaining resemblance of credibility.
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

bit of tongue in cheek there regarding the roosters salary cap ha ha.

it's so rubbish, how they do what they do without a lot of 3rd party deals is just laughable and shows just how suss it is yet the papers do a write up to say this graph shows the roosters are not rorting the cap when in actual fact is just show's they 100% have to be without help from TPA's.
raider 4 life
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Donald Trump has provided more financial details than the NRL commission.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Cronk was meant to be going to Harvard but instead ends up with a job after football, coaching at the Roosters. I could be wrong - maybe he is doing 'distance learning' with Harvard. It again highlights the inconsistencies when the Tigers were (and continue to be) penalised for offering Farah a job after retirement.

Which players are receiving 'whole of game sponsorship' and when did they receive it?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote:Cronk was meant to be going to Harvard but instead ends up with a job after football, coaching at the Roosters. I could be wrong - maybe he is doing 'distance learning' with Harvard. It again highlights the inconsistencies when the Tigers were (and continue to be) penalised for offering Farah a job after retirement.

Which players are receiving 'whole of game sponsorship' and when did they receive it?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
It’s a very good question. But the NRL has failed miserably in delivering their commitment for transparency on TPAs. Who’d have thought?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Grand finalists Canberra also went from having almost $200,000 worth of private-sector TPAs to just $45k this year due to the collapse of a social media platform.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/roosters-a ... b6039d68a0

Interesting titbit.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Ok, it's a bit rich that there is no transparency around these "whole of game" deals that obviously require marquee players to be located in certain cities. Those arrangements should definitely be made public.

I also think it would be more beneficial for the companies involved with particular players to be published, rather than the dollar value of the agreements. It's the question about whether these deals are genuinely arm's length which is the concern.

Lastly, good to see Melbourne still has significant salary cap advantages over most of the comp. I wonder how good our squad would be if we had an extra $750k up our sleeve!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

800k of the Storm deal is supposedly with Smith and I would think he could earn that without any dodgy dealings. You would think of any player he has a lot of whole of game deals as well.

If I recall at its peak TPAs were 15m total on a 6.5m cap. It would be very interesting to see the historical numbers as well.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Excuse my ignorance and/or lack of knowledge, but what social media platform cost our 3rd party deals 150k ?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

edwahu wrote: December 15, 2019, 7:12 am 800k of the Storm deal is supposedly with Smith and I would think he could earn that without any dodgy dealings. You would think of any player he has a lot of whole of game deals as well.

If I recall at its peak TPAs were 15m total on a 6.5m cap. It would be very interesting to see the historical numbers as well.
Yep, not implying it's dodgy. Just wondering how much a player like him is on the Storm books for, if he's earning large sums on TPAs. I find it quite remarkable that we have so many higher profile players now, but only $50k in TPAs.

It really begs the question what these player managers do, if they can't get our rep players endorsing products outside the club.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: December 15, 2019, 7:12 am 800k of the Storm deal is supposedly with Smith and I would think he could earn that without any dodgy dealings. You would think of any player he has a lot of whole of game deals as well.

Just over $10m.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:Grand finalists Canberra also went from having almost $200,000 worth of private-sector TPAs to just $45k this year due to the collapse of a social media platform.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/roosters-a ... b6039d68a0

Interesting titbit.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.smh.co ... 50pk7.html

I'd say it's related to this

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

It’s a bit crazy that Roosters players are getting ‘non reported TPA funds’ from FoxSports. Tedesco and Cordoner are hardly insightful and interesting commentators on the game.

The media are happy to report across the board about how low the Roosters TPA’s are, but no one is a good enough journalist to dig a step deeper into the real story of the TPA’s the NRL don’t report.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I think every club has someone who gets something from Fox.

Pretty sure ours is Hodgo

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Once again comes back to more transparency around player payments. It's a sport that generates revenue through public interest yet there is still that belief the public doesn't need to know.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: December 15, 2019, 10:33 am Once again comes back to more transparency around player payments. It's a sport that generates revenue through public interest yet there is still that belief the public doesn't need to know.
The NRL, two years ago, promised us transparency on TPAs. If the whole of game TPAs aren't evenly distributed amongst the 16 NRL clubs, then the rugby league public deserves to know that.

For example, it is not too big a stretch of the imagination to see a scenario like this...

Mr X club CEO... "Move to City X, come to our wonderful team X, and I'll give my mate down at media organisation X a ring and see if we can't get you a big media deal. And you know, I'm sure they'll be less interested if you join team Y."

Given the number and extent of incidents of outright salary cap cheating... would you put it past a club to try and line something like that up, with a "game wide sponsor"? Particularly, as under the current rules, that is perfectly legal.

But is the NRL creating a level playing field in terms of a fair salary cap arrangement? Because, you know, there are not many game wide sponsors head quartered anywhere but Sydney, Melbourne, or maybe Brisbane.

The NRL has not only failed to deliver the promised full transparency on TPAs... last year they misrepresented the release of figures, club by club, as "full transparency". Only now, has anyone in the general rugby league public realised that they have been hiding half the story.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

GE when is the Greenhouse going to sponsor a player?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: December 15, 2019, 4:11 pm GE when is the Greenhouse going to sponsor a player?
We aren’t regarded as a third party.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Can’t we chuck the NRL a 50 and be an all game sponsor?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:
Roger Kenworthy wrote: December 15, 2019, 4:11 pm GE when is the Greenhouse going to sponsor a player?
We aren’t regarded as a third party.
Thanks dubs
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Neeeegz wrote:Excuse my ignorance and/or lack of knowledge, but what social media platform cost our 3rd party deals 150k ?
It was when TheGH App went down, and everyone reverted back to Tapatalk.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Grün Maschine »

i found this whilst looking for formwork materials last week

https://formworksolutions.com.au/

i wonder how much teddy gets paid for a quality bit like that

after seeing that i shopped elsewhere
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Grün Maschine wrote: December 16, 2019, 2:16 pm i found this whilst looking for formwork materials last week

https://formworksolutions.com.au/

i wonder how much teddy gets paid for a quality bit like that

after seeing that i shopped elsewhere
Less than 69k a year.