TPAs per club “revealed”

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Re: TPAs per club revealed

Post by BigPapa »

Couldn't be bothered reading the entire thread. Hopefully already been said but anyone sane person who believes these figures should be put in a loony bin.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

I've said it elsewhere: the NRL can post this kind of info, but the one organisation that can look into things, assess a player's lifestyle against his supposed salary and other income streams, then launch an investigation with legal ramifications is the ATO. Plus, they can do that after a player is retired, which is one area in which the NRL is hamstrung.

Obviously there's not much it can do in cases such Valentine Holmes' where his partner was employed by the Sharks up until he confirmed he was leaving to try to make an NFL roster.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Pretty funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Even at this level of disparity the broncos and storm can afford to offer 10% extra salary to EVERY SINGLE player in their squad. Compared to other teams.

And no one believes this is the full extent of the disparity either.

It’s Bull and the Broncos board should be tossed for chronic underachievement.
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

gangrenous wrote: December 15, 2018, 12:05 pm Even at this level of disparity the broncos and storm can afford to offer 10% extra salary to EVERY SINGLE player in their squad. Compared to other teams.

These TPSa are meant to be at arms-length from the club and its sponsors. So, what you mean (unless you're looking to get yourself or an admin a defamation suit) is that the Broncos can offer players less than they might get elsewhere, confident in the knowledge that a player and/or their agent understands they could make up the difference or more via TPAs. That's assuming the agent isn't incompetant as far as marketing his man goes.

Unfortunately, that's just how it is when you're the only game in a very big town. Having a second Brisbane side would fix this and make Nine and other NRL fans happy.

As for chronic under-achievement, mate, you do realise you're posting on a Raiders-related site?

Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

That list is a joke, and as stated above the clubs aren’t meant to have anything to do with organizing the TPA’s.

Yet we see time and time again players leaving clubs complaining that TPA’s haven’t been paid. It’s not hard to do the maths on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

Jason wrote: December 16, 2018, 2:07 pm That list is a joke, and as stated above the clubs aren’t meant to have anything to do with organizing the TPA’s.

Yet we see time and time again players leaving clubs complaining that TPA’s haven’t been paid. It’s not hard to do the maths on that one.

Alternatively, these blokes either don't get that the club has nothing to do with a TPA or they are pissed off that the club hasn't illegally stepped in. These blokes rolled the dice on a company that has nothing to do with their club, apart from owners being fans or seeing a good marketing business case, and they can't understand why they aren't getting the cash.

If a club were better organised and had something like the Broncos' Clydesdales Club (or whatever it's called), then a player would be justified in leaving because he'd expect someone from that bankrolling supporter's club to tap the recalcitrant payer on the shoulder and say pay up or you're getting kicked out, shunned and going to miss out on the opportunities that come from networking.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Thoroughbreds.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Clubs can introduce agents to prospective third parties, they just can't broker specific deals for specific players.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

yurithe1 wrote:
gangrenous wrote: December 15, 2018, 12:05 pm Even at this level of disparity the broncos and storm can afford to offer 10% extra salary to EVERY SINGLE player in their squad. Compared to other teams.

These TPSa are meant to be at arms-length from the club and its sponsors. So, what you mean (unless you're looking to get yourself or an admin a defamation suit) is that the Broncos can offer players less than they might get elsewhere, confident in the knowledge that a player and/or their agent understands they could make up the difference or more via TPAs. That's assuming the agent isn't incompetant as far as marketing his man goes.

Unfortunately, that's just how it is when you're the only game in a very big town. Having a second Brisbane side would fix this and make Nine and other NRL fans happy.

As for chronic under-achievement, mate, you do realise you're posting on a Raiders-related site?
Fair call, not worded well. Players are earning an average of 10% extra across the board. I think it’s pretty clear that if the deals were the same money at Raiders and Broncos, you go to the Broncos no question for the increased earning potential and exposure. I’d like to see some levelling of that playing field.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They're not supposed to as I understand it... they're not supposed to use TPAs as any inducement to join the club.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

gangrenous wrote: December 16, 2018, 3:01 pm
yurithe1 wrote:

Fair call, not worded well. Players are earning an average of 10% extra across the board. I think it’s pretty clear that if the deals were the same money at Raiders and Broncos, you go to the Broncos no question for the increased earning potential and exposure. I’d like to see some levelling of that playing field.
Broncos is closer to 5% difference. I reckon if the roles were reversed a player and most sane people would still take 500k and go to the Broncos over 525k to the Raiders.

The problem is it has to stay at this level. It would've been more like 20% when Milford left.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:They're not supposed to as I understand it... they're not supposed to use TPAs as any inducement to join the club.
Inducement isn’t necessary though. It’s just the way it is and every manager knows it.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

greeneyed wrote: December 16, 2018, 3:01 pm They're not supposed to as I understand it... they're not supposed to use TPAs as any inducement to join the club.
It's legal for them to make a general introduction. They just can't be involved in any actual deals.

https://outline.com/RwUzkC
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: December 16, 2018, 5:08 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 16, 2018, 3:01 pm They're not supposed to as I understand it... they're not supposed to use TPAs as any inducement to join the club.
It's legal for them to make a general introduction. They just can't be involved in any actual deals.

If a player is receiving money from any person as a way of inducing him to play for the club, then that money will be included in the Salary Cap.

https://www.nrl.com/operations/the-game/the-salary-cap/

If a club "introducing" a player manager to a third party sponsor isn't effectively inducing a player to play for the club, I don't know what is! That said, I've looked again and can't see anything specific on "introductions".
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

greeneyed wrote: December 16, 2018, 5:14 pm
edwahu wrote: December 16, 2018, 5:08 pm

If a player is receiving money from any person as a way of inducing him to play for the club, then that money will be included in the Salary Cap.

If a club "introducing" a player manager to a third party sponsor isn't effectively inducing a player to play for the club, I don't know what is! That said, I've looked again and can't see anything specific on "introductions".
The NRL should make the actual cap rules public. That FAQ leaves so much grey area that it's practically useless.

I agree they shouldn't be able to make the introductions, especially given the advantage it gives Brisbane and Melbourne but it looks like it's legal.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Either the NRL starts capping TPAs and including them in the salary cap OR they clamp down on the deals... much more than they have to date.

Indicators of "non genuine" TPAs should be a TPA that concludes with a player going to another club; and a new TPA deal registered at a new club in the first year of a player contract.

Personally, I advocate the former, as it is far too difficult to assess whether TPAs are "genuine".

By the way, I wonder if media deals are counted under this provision:

Players are also able to enter into agreements with game sponsors, referred to as Sponsor Leveraging Agreements. There is no maximum amount and they are excluded from the salary cap.

I had thought media deals were supposed to be included in the TPA figures, and they used to be... but I wonder if "Sponsor Leveraging Agreements" are indeed, not included in the TPA figures released this week.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

We all know the rules about clubs not being involved in them but every single time a player changes clubs TPAs mysteriously materialise. The NRL turns a blind eye to it because Reptars Integrity Unit is weaker than a wet lettuce leaf.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Jason wrote: December 16, 2018, 2:07 pm That list is a joke, and as stated above the clubs aren’t meant to have anything to do with organizing the TPA’s.

That's why having a TPA cap per club has to be the most cynical admission of failure for the entire NRL. These agreements are meant to be at arms length from the club, but every man and his dog knows they aren't.

Just increase the Goddamn salary cap if you're going to apply a TPA cap ****.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

And yeah, this just proves how **** the Broncos have actually been of late.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote: December 17, 2018, 3:30 pm

That's why having a TPA cap per club has to be the most cynical admission of failure for the entire NRL. These agreements are meant to be at arms length from the club, but every man and his dog knows they aren't.

The trouble is, the existing situation with TPAs shows there is a massive difference between the clubs in the aggregate value of deals ($1 million). The first step was transparency. Now the fans know exactly how unequal the competition is. The next step to progress reform will be to cap TPAs, say at $500k, and then incorporate them into the salary cap. It might have to be a soft cap for two clubs until they comply. Then count any TPAs to the new salary cap (expanded by $500k). Clubs should then be free to organise their cap any way they choose... but all player payments get counted.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: December 17, 2018, 5:29 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: December 17, 2018, 3:30 pm

The trouble is, the existing situation with TPAs shows there is a massive difference between the clubs in the aggregate value of deals ($1 million). The first step was transparency. Now the fans know exactly how unequal the competition is. The next step to progress reform will be to cap TPAs, say at $500k, and then incorporate them into the salary cap. It might have to be a soft cap for two clubs until they comply. Then count any TPAs to the new salary cap (expanded by $500k). Clubs should then be free to organise their cap any way they choose... but all player payments get counted.
Yep, the whole system is a joke.

TPAs were obviously intended to be arms length from the club, but they clearly are not. They were a way for the game to retain elite players to the code, rather than at specific clubs.

The players, managers and clubs have all proven that the system sucks, so why retain something that inherently benefits one or three teams above the rest.

So yes, piss off the entire system and just increase the cap across the board by $1m, or whatever the magic sustainable number is, to incorporate TPAs.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Isn't the current cap level the sustainable point?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

We are getting beaten for players by 15 clubs and havent signed a first grader in 3 years. Sure, 2 clubs are shown to have a big advantage in TPAs, but the same two would be amongst the most attractive for other reasons as well and its logical to suggest that they would beat us for most players without that advantage anyway.

I just don't see how this is a big issue for us anymore, there must be something with a much bigger impact that's causing us to be dead in the market.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

It's a big issue for the majority of clubs because the system is inherently unfair.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

edwahu wrote: December 17, 2018, 9:28 pm We are getting beaten for players by 15 clubs and havent signed a first grader in 3 years. Sure, 2 clubs are shown to have a big advantage in TPAs, but the same two would be amongst the most attractive for other reasons as well and its logical to suggest that they would beat us for most players without that advantage anyway.

I just don't see how this is a big issue for us anymore, there must be something with a much bigger impact that's causing us to be dead in the market.
We were told our coach would attract the talent from other clubs. Hasn't really happened.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Seiffert82 wrote: December 18, 2018, 5:55 am It's a big issue for the majority of clubs because the system is inherently unfair.
Of that there is no doubt. Some clubs effectivley have a 10% salary cap extension. If the clubs are the ones organising these then they are not TPAs by definition and therefore should count against the cap. They don't however. It simply shows that there's a massive loophole being exploited and the NRL is incapable of handling it.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Northern Raider wrote:
edwahu wrote: December 17, 2018, 9:28 pm We are getting beaten for players by 15 clubs and havent signed a first grader in 3 years. Sure, 2 clubs are shown to have a big advantage in TPAs, but the same two would be amongst the most attractive for other reasons as well and its logical to suggest that they would beat us for most players without that advantage anyway.

We were told our coach would attract the talent from other clubs. Hasn't really happened.
Off the top of my head

Paulo
Sia
Sezer
Lui
Leulia
Tapine
Waqa

Plus Whitehead and Hodgson from the ESL (who are now 2 of the best players in the game)

Now Sutton and Bateman, one of which is the premier forwards in the ESL

Yeah, he's failed.

Back to the days when we signed the likes of Lagi Setu Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

dubby wrote: December 18, 2018, 10:42 am
Northern Raider wrote:

Off the top of my head

Paulo
Sia
Sezer
Lui
Leulia
Tapine
Waqa

Plus Whitehead and Hodgson from the ESL (who are now 2 of the best players in the game)

Yeah, he's failed.

Tapine is a long time ago Dubby.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Northern Raider wrote: December 18, 2018, 10:28 am
Seiffert82 wrote: December 18, 2018, 5:55 am It's a big issue for the majority of clubs because the system is inherently unfair.
Of that there is no doubt. Some clubs effectivley have a 10% salary cap extension. If the clubs are the ones organising these then they are not TPAs by definition and therefore should count against the cap. They don't however. It simply shows that there's a massive loophole being exploited and the NRL is incapable of handling it.
1 club has a 10% extension.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

dubby wrote: December 18, 2018, 10:42 am
Northern Raider wrote:

Off the top of my head

Paulo
Sia
Sezer
Lui
Leulia
Tapine
Waqa

Yeah, he's failed.

Ed specifically said in the last 3 years. All of those guys predate that. Sticky hung his hat on squad he built in the first 2 years. I don't see any upward trend since then.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: December 18, 2018, 11:00 am
One club has a $1million advantage, another an $800,000 advantage. That's what you buy a marquee player with.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

edwahu wrote: December 18, 2018, 11:00 am
Exactly. Another has slightly less. Some have next to none. Total disparity.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

It seems obvious to me players don't want to come to the club mainly because of the culture. When Ricky had some success with luring players here there was a perception that he was improving the culture. Players want to play for good, solid clubs, and challenge for titles. And Ricky and the boys' successes in 2016 justify this fact, and his signings at the time.

What's happened in the two years since, however, is an absolute abomination. And it's fairly apparent for anyone without any preconceived biases that the culture at the club is back at stinking point, which is backed up by the fact we seem to be dead in the water again at attracting players and have to again pay overs to keep the (largely underperforming) squad together.

Success breeds success, dismal failure breeds, well, dismal failure. People can crap on about the TPA system and cry that it's not fair, but at the end of the day it's the culture that stinks at our club, and it's getting worse by the season.
Last edited by The Nickman on December 18, 2018, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Off the top of my head

Paulo - has underperformed for the majority of his time here.
Sia - while solid, most of the hype around Sia was he was a leader - he has led a front row rotation that has underperfomed for the last couple of years.
Sezer - has underperformed and regressed
Lui - is a fringe first grader in most teams
Leulia - potentially Rickys best and worst signing, depending on BJs attitude on the day.
Tapine - Gun. Best Signing. Especially on long term deals.
Waqa - chased a larger wage to pay off gambling depts, didnt have his head in the game and then went elsewhere.

Plus Whitehead (Legend, but unproven in the NRL at time of signing) and Hodgson (no-one in this country or his own saw his talent level for what it turned into, we lucked out massively with Hodgo) from the ESL (who are now 2 of the best players in the game)

Now Sutton (who came off the bench most weeks in the UK) and Bateman (Standout in the UK, lets hope he continues in the NRL< But unproven ATM), one of which is the premier forwards in the ESL

Yeah, he's failed.