TPAs per club “revealed”

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Beejay
John Ferguson

Re: TPAs per club revealed

Post by Beejay »

I don’t disbelieve the figures.
However the Roosters one certainly jumps out.

Shows to me that Nick Politis is the best negotiator in the game. Hard not to envy and respect him, even though I also hate the club.

Now that we have these figures I guess the only thing left to do is to just say clubs like Roosters just cheat.
Or maybe we’ll accept our club is run by incompetent people one day.

Find me a proven successful business person to take over one day please. I beg you.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I don't know that the NRL trots out the 'level playing field' line anymore. I don't seem to hear it as often as I used to anyway.

We can all speculate that most clubs are pulling a swifty here or there, and never getting caught unless there is a whistle blower. What this shows is how a few clubs are legally getting an unfair advantage.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

greeneyed wrote: December 14, 2018, 8:24 am Basically the figures show TPAs give some clubs an advantage that’s worth an extra $600,000 to $800,000. The difference between the club with the lowest TPAs and the largest is almost $1 million. That’d buy an extra marquee player, a least a darn good one. How is that a level playing field.
or $100k over market value across 8 players, marquee or not, would be enough to convince them to move clubs
Last edited by Sid on December 14, 2018, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL makes third-party agreements public

In a historic move, the NRL has made public the total value of each club's third-party agreements in a move it says will improve transparency and integrity of the code's contract process.

Melbourne has TPAs worth slightly more than $1 million and Brisbane almost $800,000. At the lower end, the Eels, Titans and Bulldogs netted barely $50,000, while the Raiders had deals totalling just under $200,000.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/12/13/nrl ... t-process/
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Beejay wrote:I don’t disbelieve the figures.

Shows to me that Nick Politis is the best negotiator in the game. Hard not to envy and respect him, even though I also hate the club.

Now that we have these figures I guess the only thing left to do is to just say clubs like Roosters just cheat.

Find me a proven successful business person to take over one day please. I beg you.
I think Roosters are quite creative with how they manage it and we are clearly hopeless.

Without going into great detail, in the last season and next the Roosters have 3 players worth 1 million each. Tedesco, Cronk and Crichton. Without TPAs or payments of some other description, managing them within the constraints of a 30 man squad and limited salary cap is impossible.

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Pigman wrote: December 14, 2018, 8:21 am
edwahu wrote: December 14, 2018, 7:52 am No one on here was ever going to believe them unless they fit the narrative.
Its not about fitting a narrative, it's about the questions around what has and has not been included in this.
Im sure the figures are accurate to what the NRL wanted to report or were able to report, but if you believe this is the all encompassing figures, ive got some prime swamp land to sell you
Sure, but what's included is the stuff that you can argue represented a genuine disadvantage to us. What's not is either not specific to a club or is shady, a path we always have the option to pursue.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

gergreg wrote: December 14, 2018, 8:50 am

I think Roosters are quite creative with how they manage it and we are clearly hopeless.

Without going into great detail, in the last season and next the Roosters have 3 players worth 1 million each. Tedesco, Cronk and Crichton. Without TPAs or payments of some other description, managing them within the constraints of a 30 man squad and limited salary cap is impossible.

With Napa going they would be ok. Depends who they sign. It's a very top heavy squad.

They also backload and frontload very well. Don has stated we don't backload at all and I doubt we front load either.

Ultimately it's just a glamour club with guaranteed success and great connections to make. They really wouldn't need to go out and chase TPA's to get players to join.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

“Creative”.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote: December 14, 2018, 6:57 am
The Nickman wrote: December 13, 2018, 10:09 pm Haha you guys need to learn how to read graphs. That graph clearly shows both the 2018 AND 2017 figures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The graph also clearly shows the 2017 high as melb storm being less than 800k yet in the stats at top right its got $1,032k as the hight*. Explain that plaese steffi
The $1,032 is the highest value for 2018, and corresponds perfectly to the Storm's exact 2018 bar chart!

Hahaha why is everyone having so much trouble with this graph?? I'm... I'm being set up here, aren't I?? Fairgoitall??
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

The 2017 High was also the Storm, with 800k, which also corresponds perfectly with the line!

You blokes need to go back to school.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The Nickman wrote: December 14, 2018, 9:31 am The 2017 High was also the Storm, with 800k, which also corresponds perfectly with the line!

Pretty sure you'd lose marks for having no title on the chart and chucking a legend in with a random data table. Plus spelling high wrong.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

dubby wrote: December 14, 2018, 7:08 am It's a list of legal TPAs.

The issue is illegal TPAs, like the sharks self disclosed one, the Parra players getting free rent, and the DT itself stated players are getting cars they're not entitled to.

This is probably just a way for Toddy Politician to remark about how the system works and what a great job he's doing.
This seems to have been lost on everyone. These are the declared and registered ones. The rorting around the edges is huge. There are a LOT of ways to funnel money to people that would never, ever show up in a TPA audit...hell, they may even be legitimate.

I know of one case where a player's partner is employed in a marketing role by a beverage company that supplies a leagues club. She is a 'Marketing Manager', has one client - the leagues club - and basically doesn't need to go to work. I don't know what she's paid, but I'm going to put it out there that it's a tad more than the other employees.

I can't see that this is illegal or would show up in any kind of audit, but it's happening. I am absolutely confident that there are endless examples of these things happening.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

edwahu wrote: December 14, 2018, 9:34 am
The Nickman wrote: December 14, 2018, 9:31 am The 2017 High was also the Storm, with 800k, which also corresponds perfectly with the line!

Pretty sure you'd lose marks for having no title on the chart and chucking a legend in with a random data table. Plus spelling high wrong.
Haha yeah, the spelling "Hight" wrong is criminal and I also agree it lacks a title. All it would need is to say "2018 TPA Deals By Club" and it would be fine.

Still, I looked at it and figured the whole thing out in about ten seconds, I swear most of this forum is too busy yelling "Let's not listen to them" to even try and understand it.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

T_R wrote: December 14, 2018, 9:36 am

The issue is illegal TPAs, like the sharks self disclosed one, the Parra players getting free rent, and the DT itself stated players are getting cars they're not entitled to.

This is probably just a way for Toddy Politician to remark about how the system works and what a great job he's doing.
This seems to have been lost on everyone. These are the declared and registered ones. The rorting around the edges is huge. There are a LOT of ways to funnel money to people that would never, ever show up in a TPA audit...hell, they may even be legitimate.

I know of one case where a player's partner is employed in a marketing role by a beverage company that supplies a leagues club. She is a 'Marketing Manager', has one client and basically doesn't need to go to work. I don't know what she's paid, but I'm going to put it out there that it's a tad more than the other employees.

I can't see that this is illegal or would show up in any kind of audit, but it's happening. I am absolutely confident that there are endless examples of these things happening.
I think people know this happens, but like I said there is nothing to stop us doing all of that stuff. In fact we are probably one of the best positioned clubs to do it, especially when we are kicking off a huge development.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

The Nickman wrote: December 14, 2018, 9:30 am
The Nickman wrote: December 13, 2018, 10:09 pm Haha you guys need to learn how to read graphs. That graph clearly shows both the 2018 AND 2017 figures

The graph also clearly shows the 2017 high as melb storm being less than 800k yet in the stats at top right its got $1,032k as the hight*. Explain that plaese steffi
The $1,032 is the highest value for 2018, and corresponds perfectly to the Storm's exact 2018 bar chart!

Hahaha why is everyone having so much trouble with this graph?? I'm... I'm being set up here, aren't I?? Fairgoitall??
Ah can see that now. The 2017 looked like a title block for the stats box
Dont delete this GE
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

edwahu wrote: December 14, 2018, 9:41 am

I know of one case where a player's partner is employed in a marketing role by a beverage company that supplies a leagues club. She is a 'Marketing Manager', has one client and basically doesn't need to go to work. I don't know what she's paid, but I'm going to put it out there that it's a tad more than the other employees.

I think people know this happens, but like I said there is nothing to stop us doing all of that stuff. In fact we are probably one of the best positioned clubs to do it, especially when we are kicking off a huge development.
Well, all I can say to that is in 2019 Dunamis Lui is one starting prop, and Sam Williams is a starting half. Something isn't working for us.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

edwahu wrote:

With Napa going they would be ok. Depends who they sign. It's a very top heavy squad.

They also backload and frontload very well. Don has stated we don't backload at all and I doubt we front load either.

Ultimately it's just a glamour club with guaranteed success and great connections to make. They really wouldn't need to go out and chase TPA's to get players to join.
Not sure if you're taking the piss here.

Are you suggesting that Crichton is replacing Napa's salary? There is also rumours that Tapau is a potential replacement for Napa. I do agree with your other comments relating to us being able to be more creative.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote: December 14, 2018, 9:51 am

I thought you were setting me up for an old-fashioned trap!!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: December 14, 2018, 9:53 am
edwahu wrote: December 14, 2018, 9:41 am

Well, all I can say to that is in 2019 Dunamis Lui is one starting prop, and Sam Williams is a starting half. Something isn't working for us.
*cough* coach *cough cough* chief executive *cough cough cough* idiots at the top *cough*

Damn, excuse me!
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

The Nickman wrote: December 14, 2018, 10:08 am

Youre pulling in to a EDIT?
Dont delete this GE
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

gergreg wrote: December 14, 2018, 9:57 am
edwahu wrote:

Not sure if you're taking the piss here.

Are you suggesting that Crichton is replacing Napa's salary? There is also rumours that Tapau is a potential replacement for Napa. I do agree with your other comments relating to us being able to be more creative.

No, but Napa's deal goes a long way to covering it after they sacked Nikorima at the same time they signed him and would've frontloaded. I'll call Fergo going a wash with Hall + upgrades. They got very lucky with the timing of the upgrades on some of their players as well.

Like I said, it depends who they sign now. If they land Tapau or a player of his level with no more moves it will be pretty sus again.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote: December 14, 2018, 10:19 am
The Nickman wrote: December 14, 2018, 10:08 am

Youre pulling in to a EDIT
Yeah, but I'll hate myself afterwards.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

It's a **** awful graph... graphs are supposed to be designed so any idiot can read them... so in that sense this graph is a total failure, because there appears to be a **** ton of idiots who cant read it!

But yeah im not sure why people are having THIS much trouble with it :lol:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Look, I'm not saying it's a fantastic graph, but the amount of people on this forum who struggled to understand it is something else entirely.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

Please correct me if I am wrong but a TPA is a contract between a player and sponsor where the sponsor has been introduced to the player or is a sponsor of the club. I am sure that a club like the Roosters would have many rich supporters that know that they can help the club simply by having a player contracted to their business. Provided they are not a sponsor of the club or introduced to the player through the club it wouldn't show in this table, correct? Given the above example is not against the NRL salary cap rules and is not considered a TPA.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

TPA's can't be from existing sponsors, hence third party.

So it would be something like promoting playing boots, doing ads for a local cafe etc
robtheraider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Chris O'Sullivan

Post by robtheraider »

Don’t forget Uncle Nick is a keen golfer and poker player and doesn’t mind having the odd wager

It’s just unfortunate that he is not very good at either and seems to lose an awful lot especially when playing with the lads
To all the people with telekinetic powers...please raise my hand.
BJ
Steve Walters

TPAs per club revealed

Post by BJ »

Great to see the NRL has finally officially published the TPA’s after promising it would be released almost a year ago.

I said at the time, that I had heard the release was going to be delayed and that part proved correct.

But the issues I heard on the size of the figures proved incorrect. So I am man enough to put my hand up about that one. It will be interesting to hear the rumours that will come out of Clubland after this data publication.

One issue I remain confused about however (and something I touched on previously about the Roosters) where does Cooper Cronk’s work for FoxSports get counted? If it is in the TPA figures for the Roosters then their other players must be getting very little in third party deals.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: December 14, 2018, 12:58 pm Great to see the NRL has finally officially published the TPA’s after promising it would be released almost a year ago.

I said at the time, that I had heard the release was going to be delayed and that part proved correct.

But the issues I heard on the size of the figures proved incorrect. So I am man enough to put my hand up about that one. It will be interesting to hear the rumours that will come out of Clubland after this data publication.

One issue I remain confused about however (and something I touched on previously about the Roosters) where does Cooper Cronk’s work for FoxSports get counted? If it is in the TPA figures for the Roosters then their other players must be getting very little in third party deals.
Media contracts are supposed to count as TPAs. Todd Greenberg told me himself, at his "town hall" prior to the last Test in Australia, that Beau Ryan had a huge media deal and that's why the Sharks used to have the highest TPAs.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

kona_dream wrote: December 14, 2018, 11:39 am Please correct me if I am wrong but a TPA is a contract between a player and sponsor where the sponsor has been introduced to the player or is a sponsor of the club. I am sure that a club like the Roosters would have many rich supporters that know that they can help the club simply by having a player contracted to their business. Provided they are not a sponsor of the club or introduced to the player through the club it wouldn't show in this table, correct? Given the above example is not against the NRL salary cap rules and is not considered a TPA.
TPAs are not supposed to have anything to do with the club. We know the clubs "introduce" players to sponsors, they're not supposed to, but they certainly cannot be club sponsors. These figures are certainly supposed to include all TPAs, including the ones where a player manager has genuinely negotiated the deal independently, with a non club sponsor.

Given the Roosters do have many rich supporters, it is surprising how low the Roosters' figure is.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

It wouldn't surprise me if those deals are not included in the figures though, as they could be considered "game sponsor" TPAs, which are excluded from these numbers. You may also find his foxsports contract is peanuts for two years and ramps up year 3 when he is retired.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: December 14, 2018, 1:07 pm It wouldn't surprise me if those deals are not included in the figures though, as they could be considered "game sponsor" TPAs, which are excluded from these numbers. You may also find his foxsports contract is peanuts for two years and ramps up year 3 when he is retired.
They're supposed to be included, and the NRL should certainly be disallowing any deal that ramps up after a planned retirement date. These deals are supposed to be registered with the NRL, so they'd know the amounts and structure of the deals.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Yes the Cronk figures still concern me and it’s not like the Roosters have any form...

"FORMER Great Britain halfback Bobbie Goulding has confirmed one of league's worst-kept secrets - that the Roosters paid players cash in brown paper bags. Goulding told Rugby League Week."

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6584269798

Or the Kenny Dowall family violence incident (note he got cleared of the abuse charge, so no accusation on that side):

"The couple's intimate text message exchanges and family finances also came under intense scrutiny during the case, which heard details of Kenny-Dowall paying Ms Peris a salary for helping him set up a cafe with cash that Ms Peris alleged came from a brown paper bag of $100 notes.

Ms Peris attempted to give evidence about the brown paper bag of cash during the case, but was prevented by the magistrate, who declared the issue irrelevant."

Read more: https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/sport/29 ... lt-charges

Or this excellent article:

"Rugby league's dirty secret: confessions of an NRL bagman

They are known as "the money men" and they are rugby league's dirty secret. Every club has them, said one businessman, and he should know because over the years he has both collected "the folding stuff" and put in his own money to try to buy an advantage for his team."

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/rugby- ... op7ys.html
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Geez, no surprise about cash in bags. I knew a guy who played for souths around the time Justin Hodges played for the roosters. Old mate was there the day Hodgo was given a bag full of $$$ straight out of a poker machine!

Yeah sure, Hodgo can't do much with it, its pretty much grocery money, but far out, I'd love a few grand every week cash in hand

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL TPA numbers show Canberra Raiders on par with star-studded Sydney Roosters

The third party agreements that leave Canberra Raiders fans up in arms have finally come to light but the figures will do little to silence the Green Machine faithful.

Meanwhile, New Zealand sevens winger Bailey Simonsson has stationed himself at Raiders headquarters in the hope of securing an NRL contract. Former Junior All Black Paul Roache departs the club, having been an integral part of Mounties' Jersey Flegg Cup side in 2018.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50m8z.html