All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Canberra Raiders stick by Huawei

Post by Green eyed Mick »

We sure can pick them.

CFO of Huawei arrested in Canada and facing charges in the US for violating sanctions against Iran.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Re: Huawei CFO arrested

Post by Bay53 »

Mick, the reason they are the sponsor is to try and get them in the minds of everyday Australians so that they will be able to participate in Australian government business.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Bay53 wrote: December 7, 2018, 7:36 pm Mick, the reason they are the sponsor is to try and get them in the minds of everyday Australians so that they will be able to participate in Australian government business.
Yes, I know how marketing works.

At least they aren't James Hardy :roflmao
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Green eyed Mick wrote: December 7, 2018, 7:15 pm We sure can pick them.

CFO of Huawei arrested in Canada and facing charges in the US for violating sanctions against Iran.
You mean the second largest manufacturer of phones in the world with 100bn in revenues. Seems like a decent sponsor to me.
Last edited by edwahu on December 7, 2018, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Ok.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

At least now we have some leverage in sponsorship talks..
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

edwahu wrote: December 7, 2018, 7:55 pm

You mean the second largest manufacturer of phones in the world with 100bn in revenues. Seems like a decent sponsor to me.

Yes but the CFO of that company sold some phones to Iran. Sack Don. :evil:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Northern Raider wrote:

The daughter of the founder re-exported US manufactured goods to Iran.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

T_R wrote: December 8, 2018, 8:08 am
Northern Raider wrote:

The daughter of the founder re-exported US manufactured goods to Iran.
She should've sold them weapons instead, that doesn't get you jail time.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Only when funds are funnelled into Central American communist rebels.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

That's clearly not what I meant. I was merely pointing out that there is now a great deal of negative publicity surrounding the club's major sponsor.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Green eyed Mick wrote: December 8, 2018, 1:17 pm

That's clearly not what I meant. I was merely pointing out that there is now a great deal of negative publicity surrounding the club's major sponsor.
No what you meant was just another cheap shot at the Raiders management. You like doing that.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Negative publicity for the sponsor. Care factor low.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

"We sure can pick them."

:shock: :hmmm :doubt:
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

cfmeu were more concerning to our brand IMO

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

dubby wrote:cfmeu were more concerning to our brand IMO

I got abused at an airport once for wearing a raiders top with the CFMEU logo.

Kind of ironic, with my view on unions.

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Kind of ironic?

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Ive never agreed with a torrent of abuse so strongly!

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

No one is buying that. :lol:
You still need to go and pick the ball out the net regarding the Wagga game... then you can come back and do some more picking of the net here.

I've read half a dozen articles about this and not one of them has even mentioned this club. :lol:
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Pigman wrote: December 10, 2018, 7:50 pm

You still need to go and pick the ball out the net regarding the Wagga game... then you can come back and do some more picking of the net here.

I've read half a dozen articles about this and not one of them has even mentioned this club. :lol:
To be fair, GEM said the negative publicity was surrounding the sponsor, not the club
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I don't think it matters much as long as they stump up the cash. We do enough harm to our own brand.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: December 10, 2018, 11:37 am

Yeah, it was weird, I used to cop that all the time with my CFMEU jerseys too. People would always come up to me, point at my jersey and go "CFMEU, hey?" I'd be like "Big deal, it's a club sponsor, all jerseys have them."

Nobody ever used to come up to me, point at my jersey and say "Canberra Milk, hey?"
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Finchy wrote: December 11, 2018, 9:38 am
Pigman wrote: December 10, 2018, 7:50 pm

To be fair, GEM said the negative publicity was surrounding the sponsor, not the club
The inference though, is that it’s a poor reflection on the club to have its sponsor suffering through negative publicity
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

To be fair you regularly get abused at airports regardless of what you're wearing.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Why is it that the Raiders always have major sponsors that have links to politics and political interests? I know Canberra is the seat of government and all that, but the politicians are all here representing their own areas of the country - nary a Raiders supporter among them, if any.

You've got Huawei, who're in a fight with the government to be allowed into nation-building projects. The Tradies and CFMEU, a union and a club with union links. Fone Zone have been - and still are, under their new name - the major retailer of Telstra, who were of course previously a government entity. OzEmail had Malcolm Turnbull as its chair, who of course later became Prime Minister.

Yes, some of those links are pretty tenuous, but they're all only one very obvious hop away. Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, easy mode.

You have to go all the way back to Canberra Milk in '95 to get to a sponsor I can't link easily to politics and government off the top of my head. :lol:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Schifty wrote: December 11, 2018, 6:13 pm

To be fair you regularly get abused at airports regardless of what you're wearing.
And not just airports, my friend.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Sterlk wrote:Why is it that the Raiders always have major sponsors that have links to politics and political interests? I know Canberra is the seat of government and all that, but the politicians are all here representing their own areas of the country - nary a Raiders supporter among them, if any.

You've got Huawei, who're in a fight with the government to be allowed into nation-building projects. The Tradies and CFMEU, a union and a club with union links. Fone Zone have been - and still are, under their new name - the major retailer of Telstra, who were of course previously a government entity. OzEmail had Malcolm Turnbull as its chair, who of course later became Prime Minister.

Yes, some of those links are pretty tenuous, but they're all only one very obvious hop away. Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, easy mode.

You have to go all the way back to Canberra Milk in '95 to get to a sponsor I can't link easily to politics and government off the top of my head. Image
Who is on the board?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

gergreg wrote: December 12, 2018, 7:13 amWho is on the board?
A bunch of dairy and food business execs. A couple of them have worked for/advised government before, but more in a contracting/public service sense - nowhere near close to having the PM on your board.

https://ccfa.com.au/management-our-people
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

China's Huawei Technologies accused of conspiring to steal trade secrets

The United States Justice Department has unsealed two indictments against China's Huawei Technologies, several of its subsidiaries and its chief financial officer Meng Wanzhou.

The cases accuse the company of everything from bank and wire fraud to obstructing justice and conspiring to steal trade secrets from T-Mobile US Inc.

Read more: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-29/ ... s/10757594
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders stick by Huawei

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders stick by Huawei despite US charges

The Canberra Raiders are keen to sign on for another major sponsorship deal with embattled Chinese tech giant Huawei, despite the serious accusations made against the company in the United States.

"We would love to keep them on board [beyond the current deal that runs to end 2019]. They're our longest serving major sponsor, been a fantastic partner and we would love to keep them. But we haven't sat down with them, we will get up and see them once the season kicks off," CEO Don Furner said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/nation ... 50uky.html

Audio: Huawei or the highway? Huawei Australia's Director of Corporate Affairs, Jeremy Mitchell, joins Tim Shaw on 2CC to refute criticisms of the company's operations in Australia: http://2cc.net.au/podcasts/11968-huawei ... itics.html
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

"Big companies, same as the Raiders, we go through times of negative publicity and big companies can too. But we'll leave that to them, that's their core business. We're just very proud of the partnership we have with them and and we definitely aim to maintain that."

Lol. I think Don may be slightly underestimating the seriousness of the charges compared to any negative publicity the Raiders have had.

Can Huawei assist us in stealing opposition gameplans? Although I get the feeling Sticky would be too stubborn to use them anyway.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Beggars can't be choosers.. let's face it the club is run like a second rate organisation (no accountability blah blah blah) we've struck gold with this partnership and should hang onto them as long as possible
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Not many things I give credit to Don Furner for lately, but I wholeheartedly agree with him that China enjoys indisputable sovereignty over the South China Sea and Islands based on historical facts and International law.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Canberra Raiders stick by Huawei

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Of course the club would stand by their sponsor. Donny be all

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Australian football team proud of Huawei sponsorship: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/a ... d28e7f67bb