BJ
Steve Walters

Re: Cap management

Post by BJ »

edwahu wrote:
BJ wrote: December 3, 2018, 8:11 pm
edwahu wrote:
BJ wrote: December 3, 2018, 7:37 pm
edwahu wrote:The numbers are sourced from the NRL, they are as good as official for mine, unless Brad Walter is outright lying. I am sure the Roosters benefit from some of the non private sector TPAs and maybe the numbers have gone up for them, but even worst case they are not getting close to the millions in advantage like some seem to think.

Like I said though, if you look at the Roosters squad there is really no need for a huge number of TPAs. It contributes to our problems but no way is it the major one.
Happy for you to believe it, it’s not like Brad Walter has provided us with other NRL media releases and articles all year that have ultimately proven to be false. Image
So how much do you think the Roosters have in TPAs and who is earning what in their squad?
I’ve got no idea what the Roosters are on.

I’m just continuing to say what I heard a long time ago (and wrote at the time) that this report was not accurate and the NRL didn’t end up releasing the full data as they originally promised.

I don’t know if some third party arrangements were deemed Commercial in Confidence (as some people speculated), the published data didn’t accurately cover the full dollar amounts or the Players Union jumped in????

I’m just saying that I would take this article with a very large grain of salt and there’s a reason why it didn’t make the wide stream rugby league media or publication as a formal NRL press release through the executive.

I believe Cronk alone got $300k third party.
Looks like we may find out: https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/ ... fd779085bb

Let's see if they are believed even when official.
I can’t read this behind the paywall, but I presume This article will actually back up what I’ve been saying all along.

The NRL is confirming that it hasn’t ‘yet’ published the deals in full, but will do so soon, (you claimed they had already published the third party deals, so I’m confused).

I really hope they do it fully and transparently this time and the Salary Cap Auditor signs off on the published figures. If it comes out later a player got extra money than reported, the Club gets duly punished.

Remember that the NRL has made this exact promise to lift the lid on payments a number of times before and not actually delivered. But fingers crossed.

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Final figures will be published sometime this month if the article is to be believed.

I will be amazed if they are much different than the numbers Walter gave, except for the changes due to player movements, but we shall hopefully see and can all accept the numbers for what they are.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

But whatever they are, it’ll show there’s not a level playing field and there’s a loophole in the cap.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

In one word.

Poor.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

greeneyed wrote: December 4, 2018, 5:14 am But whatever they are, it’ll show there’s not a level playing field and there’s a loophole in the cap.
Sure, but it may show it's a minor advantage. We probably should ask how Penrith get 500k but we apparently can't get any, given they don't have any major advantage over us in terms of sourcing TPAs.

We are now getting beaten in the player market by every single team, not just ones like Brisbane and the Roosters who offer a lot more appeal outside of money. TPAs don't explain that.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I think fans too easily gloss over the fact that a lot of players would much rather play at a successful club like Easts for less money. They’re stable, successful, are based in one of the more sought after areas of Sydney and have easy access to great facilities they share with Sydney and cricket nsw.

Certainly their TPA’s are bound to be better than others. But I reckon there are plenty of players who’d rather push for a premiership there on 200k than bust their ass at Parramatta, Canberra or Wests for 300-350k. Some players chase the money but some stay on ridiculously low deals; I’m thinking the likes of Tupou, Liu, SST and not Morris. They’d all be accepting way, way under market value (I’m not saying they’re all on 200k either, they’d just all almost definitely be on unders)
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

papabear wrote: December 3, 2018, 9:48 pm
Pigman wrote: December 3, 2018, 8:14 pm
julian87 wrote: December 3, 2018, 8:03 pm Just fwiw wingers would definitely get paid more than centre these days in general and fair enough too.
Think that's dependant on team.
On an open market Vinuvalu and Addo-Carr would get more than either of the storm centres. But you'd pay WAY more for Lat Mitchell over anything the roosters are flogging off at wing
Croker is undoubtably getting paid more than our wingers, though you'd correctly argue he shouldn't. Whilst the Broncos are paying more for Roberts than their wingers. The Knights just paid top dollar for a great young centre and are cheaping out a wing. The Sharks paid Feki over their centres, they let Bird walk. Though i guess Holmes was the winger until being moved to fullback.
Penrith are interesting, they have resources in both spots, and sacrificed a fullback to make it happen. But their paying big dollars for all 4. The Warriors seem to pay wingers in hopes of moving them to centre.

I dont think you can honestly say one position is valued more than the other in today's NRL.
i am not against wingers being on bigger money

They have a lot of say in who wins a footy match from:-
- starting off sets
- handling high balls kicks etc
- finishing tries
- defensive saves

IMO besides this coming year where we seem a little light in the middle we have for the last 10 years always seemed to spend way to much in the middle. Paying two props say boyd / paulo 600 each when they are only on the field for 30 mins a pop is 1.2m for 60 mins when whitehead plays 80 mins for 500k and tbh is probably more effective in each minute then the impact players.

i believe it was reported by the broncos sister company that roberts took a big pay cut to go to the broncos... :P.

If you look at our team next year and who is probably on to much cash for how much they effect winning for me it is:-
- sezer - i actually like him as a player but he in my mind is a 300k per year type, no way is he on that much though.
- hodgson - we are probably paying him 800k range for a guy in my mind is a very good player but not an out and out premium player worth 800k.
- croker - again like sezer i like him, he is probably worth 400-500 but I would hazard a guess he might be on a little more then this.

Other then that I think we have shed a lot of the fat in our cap. The problem we face is any club to be successful you either have to have the dodgy broncos / chooks style cap or you have to have a lot of guys playing above their value and I don't see us getting many guys going hugely above their value for us. Though I would love to see it.
Agree in regards to Sezer and Croker, but wow, how can you think the second/third best hooker in the game is not worth 800k+? I am quite content with paying Papa and Hodgson 800k+, i'm not content with paying outside backs big coin (i.e. Croker/BJ/Wighton/Abbey).
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

julian87 wrote: December 4, 2018, 8:43 am I think fans too easily gloss over the fact that a lot of players would much rather play at a successful club like Easts for less money. They’re stable, successful, are based in one of the more sought after areas of Sydney and have easy access to great facilities they share with Sydney and cricket nsw.

Certainly their TPA’s are bound to be better than others. But I reckon there are plenty of players who’d rather push for a premiership there on 200k than bust their ass at Parramatta, Canberra or Wests for 300-350k. Some players chase the money but some stay on ridiculously low deals; I’m thinking the likes of Tupou, Liu, SST and not Morris. They’d all be accepting way, way under market value (I’m not saying they’re all on 200k either, they’d just all almost definitely be on unders)
I have a work acquaintance that played FG for the Raiders recently. He recalled speaking to Blake Ferguson when he first started at the Roosters and Blake told him (basically) 'you have to get down here, the facilities, the training, the support staff, it's all miles better than the Raiders and will make you a better player'.
He didn't out of loyalty, and regretted it as he got turfed out not long after.

If your club has Top4 facilities and coaching, recent and expected success, great (and well known) business contacts for after football opportunities, and good cap management - then there's your 10-20% advantage right there, before you even worry about TPA's.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I know we all rag on the Broncos (rightly so) but it is true that players will accept less money to stay there. Consider a player on $300k there and offered $400k to play for the Tigers or something. After tax, managers fees etc that extra $100k is closer to $50k. For that amount they have to consider if its worth it. Not just moving cities and the higher cost of living in Sydney. They are also leaving a club that regularly plays finals, rock solid financially, draws big crowds, has excellent facilities etc.

All things considered you can understand why a player would sacrifice a few more $$ in the pocket for a greater certainty of environment. I know this is exactly the case with one Broncos player a couple of years back.

I imagine this would also be a factor for some players staying in Canberra. We shouldn't assume that we have to pay overs to retain a lot of our established players.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Beejay wrote: December 4, 2018, 10:07 am
julian87 wrote: December 4, 2018, 8:43 am I think fans too easily gloss over the fact that a lot of players would much rather play at a successful club like Easts for less money. They’re stable, successful, are based in one of the more sought after areas of Sydney and have easy access to great facilities they share with Sydney and cricket nsw.

I have a work acquaintance that played FG for the Raiders recently. He recalled speaking to Blake Ferguson when he first started at the Roosters and Blake told him (basically) 'you have to get down here, the facilities, the training, the support staff, it's all miles better than the Raiders and will make you a better player'.

If your club has Top4 facilities and coaching, recent and expected success, great (and well known) business contacts for after football opportunities, and good cap management - then there's your 10-20% advantage right there, before you even worry about TPA's.
You expect us to believe Blake Ferguson was able to deliver a sentence of that length? :doubt:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Yeah it was a summary of second hand information in my own words, so i imagine there were a few more Bra's in there that I missed.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Fergo has been gone for years and our training facilities are much better since bonehead left.

Funny thing is, Fergi has left those advantages to play for Parra, who have quite poor facilities and are a mess off field.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I wonder what Fergos take on the Narrabeen facility would be.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Beejay wrote: December 4, 2018, 10:07 am

This is becoming a joke

blake ferguson became less of a player over his career with the chooks, hence they dont even want him anymore.

As good as Tedesco was he certainly wasnt better then his days at the tigers maybe equal to but not better.

Cronk is going on the down hill slide due to his age.

Players are not going to take 100k pay cut to change clubs. Anyone changing clubs is going to want an increase on what their current club is offering, to exchange for comfort levels and runs on the board etc, same as anyone else.

if you have 5-12 yeaqr playing window of making money your a **** if you dont make the most of it, and easts players generally dont come across any stupider then the average and I doubt the advisors of their players would be any stupider then the average.

They pick up their money they just pick it up elsewhere.

I don't doubt they buy low and sell high, but they are also going to be pushing every other advantage they have. Its just our management dont know there own advantages and have been comparatively mediocre to weak on the rugby league scene for ages.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

SeeBee101 wrote: December 4, 2018, 9:40 am
papabear wrote: December 3, 2018, 9:48 pm
Pigman wrote: December 3, 2018, 8:14 pm
julian87 wrote: December 3, 2018, 8:03 pm Just fwiw wingers would definitely get paid more than centre these days in general and fair enough too.
Think that's dependant on team.
On an open market Vinuvalu and Addo-Carr would get more than either of the storm centres. But you'd pay WAY more for Lat Mitchell over anything the roosters are flogging off at wing
Croker is undoubtably getting paid more than our wingers, though you'd correctly argue he shouldn't. Whilst the Broncos are paying more for Roberts than their wingers. The Knights just paid top dollar for a great young centre and are cheaping out a wing. The Sharks paid Feki over their centres, they let Bird walk. Though i guess Holmes was the winger until being moved to fullback.
Penrith are interesting, they have resources in both spots, and sacrificed a fullback to make it happen. But their paying big dollars for all 4. The Warriors seem to pay wingers in hopes of moving them to centre.

I dont think you can honestly say one position is valued more than the other in today's NRL.
i am not against wingers being on bigger money

They have a lot of say in who wins a footy match from:-
- starting off sets
- handling high balls kicks etc
- finishing tries
- defensive saves

IMO besides this coming year where we seem a little light in the middle we have for the last 10 years always seemed to spend way to much in the middle. Paying two props say boyd / paulo 600 each when they are only on the field for 30 mins a pop is 1.2m for 60 mins when whitehead plays 80 mins for 500k and tbh is probably more effective in each minute then the impact players.

i believe it was reported by the broncos sister company that roberts took a big pay cut to go to the broncos... :P.

If you look at our team next year and who is probably on to much cash for how much they effect winning for me it is:-
- sezer - i actually like him as a player but he in my mind is a 300k per year type, no way is he on that much though.
- hodgson - we are probably paying him 800k range for a guy in my mind is a very good player but not an out and out premium player worth 800k.
- croker - again like sezer i like him, he is probably worth 400-500 but I would hazard a guess he might be on a little more then this.

Other then that I think we have shed a lot of the fat in our cap. The problem we face is any club to be successful you either have to have the dodgy broncos / chooks style cap or you have to have a lot of guys playing above their value and I don't see us getting many guys going hugely above their value for us. Though I would love to see it.
Agree in regards to Sezer and Croker, but wow, how can you think the second/third best hooker in the game is not worth 800k+? I am quite content with paying Papa and Hodgson 800k+, i'm not content with paying outside backs big coin (i.e. Croker/BJ/Wighton/Abbey).
Hodgson was very good in 2016, mediocre at best in 2017 and pretty good in his remaining games in 2017..

that doesnt scream big money to me.

Also he isnt top 2 or 3 hookers in the game

Cameron Smith
Cook
mcinnis

are easy ahead of him

I would have him in the pack of the next set of hookers with
peats
luke
friend
brailey

that said he would be the second highest paid hooker in the NRL..
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

As in Cameron McInnes? Really?
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

papabear wrote: December 6, 2018, 9:10 pm
Hodgson was very good in 2016, mediocre at best in 2017 and pretty good in his remaining games in 2017..

that doesnt scream big money to me.

Also he isnt top 2 or 3 hookers in the game

Cameron Smith
Cook
mcinnis

are easy ahead of him

I would have him in the pack of the next set of hookers with
peats
luke
friend
brailey

that said he would be the second highest paid hooker in the NRL..
[/quote]

You are entitled to your opinion but I strongly disagree that Cameron McInnes is a better 9 than Josh Hodgson.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Wow, Papa. Your assessment that Hodgo is in the pack with Peats, Friend and co. is just flat-out wrong. Isaac Luke at his best was dominant and he was way above anything the other three have ever produced but he’s not as good as Hodgo.

McInnis isn’t of his quality either.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I think we have had so few good players people forget how to recognise them sometimes.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Hodgson to me is a poor mans farah (when farah was at his peak).

Whilst he has a very high skill level, the most important thing for a Hooker is their decision making, and Hodgsons decision making isn’t a strength.

To often he plays through himself or plays short when that is the wrong play. Honestly his 2016 was garbage for this reason.

If you decision making isn’t great imo you are far safer reverting to a firing out a quick ball to whomever then dancing around yourself.

The other thing that saves Hodgo on here is he is on a perfect team for his skill set, a team with **** halves. He is not worth 800k anywhere else and at a lot of teams with good halves he would be stifling.

Give me Andrew johns and Thurston and I’ll take peats everyday to get good quick ball to them, run when markers are cheating and tackle like a machine every day then hodgo who would just upset the rhythm of that attack.
Last edited by papabear on December 7, 2018, 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I don’t miss our quality. Rapana Tapine and papa (when he’s not gassed) all stand out as quality players even when our side is going ****.

You can probs through cotric in there too, though I want to see more of him.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

papabear wrote: December 7, 2018, 9:19 am Hodgson to me is a poor mans farah (when farah was at his peak).

Whilst he has a very high skill level, the most important thing for a Hooker is their decision making, and Hodgsons decision making isn’t a strength.

To often he plays through himself or plays short when that is the wrong play. Honestly his 2016 was garbage for this reason.

If you decision making isn’t great imo you are far safer reverting to a firing out a quick ball to whomever then dancing around yourself.

The other thing that saves Hodgo on here is he is on a perfect team for his skill set, a team with **** halves. He is not worth 800k anywhere else and at a lot of teams with good halves he would be stifling.

Give me Andrew johns and Thurston and I’ll take peats everyday to get good quick ball to them, run when markers are cheating and tackle like a machine every day then hodgo who would just upset the rhythm of that attack.
His 2016 season wasn't garbage. I just don't see how you could make that conclusion.

I think you are overlooking other players shortcomings a bit when comparing them to Hodgo and overreacting to the poor options he has sometimes taken. Farah had plenty of poor seasons and took plenty of poor options. Excluding Smith the same goes for the rest of the list but most never got much above average. Hodgo has had 1 year you could count as disappointing.

I also doubt Hodgo would fail to get 800k elsewhere if he hit the open market. Cook just signed a 900k deal and he has had 20 good games.
Last edited by edwahu on December 7, 2018, 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Hodgo is a stud. There isn't a better hooker in the game at the moment. The only concern I have with him is his big game experience. Never seen him dominate a test. Played finals for us injured but didn't stand out in these games either. Hope he can prove me wrong in september 2019!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Who's McInnes ?
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

edwahu wrote: December 7, 2018, 9:32 am
papabear wrote: December 7, 2018, 9:19 am Hodgson to me is a poor mans farah (when farah was at his peak).

His 2016 season wasn't garbage. I just don't see how you could make that conclusion.

I think you are overlooking other players shortcomings a bit when comparing them to Hodgo and overreacting to the poor options he has sometimes taken. Farah had plenty of poor seasons and took plenty of poor options. Excluding Smith the same goes for the rest of the list but most never got much above average. Hodgo has had 1 year you could count as disappointing.

I also doubt Hodgo would fail to get 800k elsewhere if he hit the open market. Cook just signed a 900k deal and he has had 20 good games.
No other good team would pay hodgo 800k
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

edwahu wrote:As in Cameron McInnes? Really?
Neither Cook or McInnis are better than Hodgo

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Cook just dominated SoO, he has always looked the goods he has just been lacking opportunity. Cometh the hour, cometh the man. If we got cook at 900k and offloaded hodgson we would be laughing.

The biggest big game moment of hodgos career thus far was a dumb **** penalty against the storm which went a long way towards losing that match. I am struggling to think of any other spine player would give away such an obvious **** penalty.

Happy for him to come good, and it was nice to see his game grow last year, but imo he is not worth 800k, but he could improve on his deficits and change that opinion.

Another thing, which imo is a big failure to his game (also to ricky stuarts coaching) is our attack in the 20... we are so dangerous outside of the 20 when we just play footy, but when in the 20 far to often josh hodgson channels kurt gidley and takes **** option after **** option when attacking the try line. Good teams do not do that.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

dubby wrote: December 7, 2018, 10:06 am
edwahu wrote:As in Cameron McInnes? Really?
Neither Cook or McInnis are better than Hodgo

Well now I know I am on the right path.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

papabear wrote: December 7, 2018, 10:11 am

Cook just dominated SoO, he has always looked the goods he has just been lacking opportunity. Cometh the hour, cometh the man. If we got cook at 900k and offloaded hodgson we would be laughing.

The biggest big game moment of hodgos career thus far was a dumb **** penalty against the storm which went a long way towards losing that match. I am struggling to think of any other spine player would give away such an obvious **** penalty.

Happy for him to come good, and it was nice to see his game grow last year, but imo he is not worth 800k, but he could improve on his deficits and change that opinion.

Another thing, which imo is a big failure to his game (also to ricky stuarts coaching) is our attack in the 20... we are so dangerous outside of the 20 when we just play footy, but when in the 20 far to often josh hodgson channels kurt gidley and takes **** option after **** option when attacking the try line. Good teams do not do that.
Except you're not applying your own standards by ignoring the fact Cook had a poor finals series and was not great the last 6 weeks of the season. His game vs the Roosters was one of the worst in many years and included two absolutely crucial unforced errors which killed the Rabbitohs chances. He basically lost them the game. I would not be happy with us paying him 900k vs 800k for Hodgo just because Cook played well in Origin, a series he wouldn't even play if Hodgo was eligible.

Meanwhile Hodgo was our best player in the Sharks and Penrith finals, you are overreacting to Hodgo's mistakes and been a lot more forgiving of other players.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The "Josh Hodgson is actually a bit ****" take is bold, strong and PIPING hot.
As far as scorching hot takes go, i respect it.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-PJ- wrote:Who's McInnes ?
It's a whisky distillery in the Scottish highlands. Not a bad drop but fails to deliver when it really matters.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

gergreg wrote: December 7, 2018, 11:20 am
-PJ- wrote:Who's McInnes ?
It's a whisky distillery in the Scottish highlands. Not a bad drop but fails to deliver when it really matters.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Thanks for clearing that up gergreg and Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

He was also really, really good in 2015.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

DFJs comment this year that he wanted to assure fans that he was spending the entirety of our cap was not reassuring. He spent the entire cap on a side which has finished 10th 2 years in a row.

To me that means we are not getting value for money. We are overpaying some players. No doubt this is on Stickys recommendation for Must Have players. We have moved on some of these for 2019 but we are still right up to our cap limit? Please explain Don?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I noticed in the SMH today they reported Val Holmes partner had a job at Cronulla Leagues she was asked to leave as soon as Holmes announced he was leaving. Nothing suss about that at all, sounds like a totally legitimate role.