Liam Knight off to the Rabbitohs

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Liam Knight linked to South Sydney Rabbitohs

Post by Northern Raider »

No idea why people are so concerned about these fringe forwards going elsewhere. They move through the NRL system like a bout of gastro on a cruise ship. This will be Knight's 4th NRL club in 4 seasons. It will take a couple of injuries for him to see game time in firsts at the Bunnies.

As for comparison with Paul Vaughan. I see zero parallels.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Northern Raider wrote:No idea why people are so concerned about these fringe forwards going elsewhere. They move through the NRL system like a bout of gastro on a cruise ship. This will be Knight's 4th NRL club in 4 seasons. It will take a couple of injuries for him to see game time in firsts at the Bunnies.

Spot on NR. I imagine the club saw more Value in Lui for three seasons at Circa $300k than Boyd for $650k.

Yes Boyd is better and provides more impact. But there’s better places to spend the money. I actually am glad DFJ is no longer throwing too much money to retain inconsistent players.
BJ
Steve Walters

Liam Knight linked to South Sydney Rabbitohs

Post by BJ »

Northern Raider wrote:No idea why people are so concerned about these fringe forwards going elsewhere. They move through the NRL system like a bout of gastro on a cruise ship. This will be Knight's 4th NRL club in 4 seasons. It will take a couple of injuries for him to see game time in firsts at the Bunnies.

Spot on NR. Second tier forwards are a dime a dozen.

Along that path, I imagine the club saw more Value in Lui for three seasons at Circa $300k than Boyd for $650k.

Yes Boyd is better and provides more impact. But there’s better places to spend the money. I actually am glad DFJ is no longer throwing too much money to retain inconsistent players.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: December 3, 2018, 12:32 pm No idea why people are so concerned about these fringe forwards going elsewhere. They move through the NRL system like a bout of gastro on a cruise ship. This will be Knight's 4th NRL club in 4 seasons. It will take a couple of injuries for him to see game time in firsts at the Bunnies.

I dont think anyone is concerned, just commenting on his time here.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Pigman wrote: December 3, 2018, 1:36 pm
Northern Raider wrote: December 3, 2018, 12:32 pm No idea why people are so concerned about these fringe forwards going elsewhere. They move through the NRL system like a bout of gastro on a cruise ship. This will be Knight's 4th NRL club in 4 seasons. It will take a couple of injuries for him to see game time in firsts at the Bunnies.

I dont think anyone is concerned, just commenting on his time here.
Some appear to be concerned. Not many.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I just saw the most recent set of training pics on FB, and I couldnt see Knight in them. So he is definitely gone.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

BJ wrote:

Spot on NR. I imagine the club saw more Value in Lui for three seasons at Circa $300k than Boyd for $650k.

Lui outperformed Boyd and Paulo in 2018, coming off an ACL. So that’s value for you.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt wrote: December 3, 2018, 2:38 pm I just saw the most recent set of training pics on FB, and I couldnt see Knight in them. So he is definitely gone.
I don't think that's correct based on his Instagram.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: December 3, 2018, 3:17 pm
Matt wrote: December 3, 2018, 2:38 pm I just saw the most recent set of training pics on FB, and I couldnt see Knight in them. So he is definitely gone.
OK. Well i guess we will see then.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Matt wrote: December 3, 2018, 3:20 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 3, 2018, 3:17 pm
OK. Well i guess we will see then.
I literally saw him yesterday at Kaleen shops.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

CJ42 wrote: December 3, 2018, 3:02 pm
BJ wrote:

Lui outperformed Boyd and Paulo in 2018, coming off an ACL. So that’s value for you.

Lui was your classic fringe forward being shuffled around NRL clubs. He would have been happy with any deal above the minimum so I doubt Raiders needed to offer much. While he's been solid for us I doubt any other club would have been willing to pay any more than $150k for him so I imagine he's have been happy with that kind of money to stick around for a few more years.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Northern Raider wrote:
BJ wrote:

Lui was your classic fringe forward being shuffled around NRL clubs. He would have been happy with any deal above the minimum so I doubt Raiders needed to offer much. While he's been solid for us I doubt any other club would have been willing to pay any more than $150k for him so I imagine he's have been happy with that kind of money to stick around for a few more years.
I reckon you would be surprised at what first change NRL props get paid by clubs. Young blokes and outside backs are near minimum wage. But rightly or wrongly, Props who play 30 minutes or so each week in the NRL, seem to be in demand and even the likes of a Tim Grant or a Jeremy Latimore earn well above minimum.

The top 16 props in the NRL are probably all on $600k plus and that drives up the price of the rest.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Canberra Raiders say Liam Knight staying put amid Wayne Bennett controversy

The Canberra Raiders have silenced speculation Liam Knight is headed to the South Sydney Rabbitohs. Knight's name was mentioned as a possible Rabbitohs recruitment target in a bombshell email sent by then Souths coach Seibold to Rabbitohs chief executive Blake Solly last week. But the Raiders said on Monday the 23-year-old would be playing in the capital next season.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50jt8.html
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

So we couldn't find a taker.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: Liam Knight staying with Raiders in 2019

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Other trade fell through is my guess.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

BJ wrote:

you or i might have outperformed those **** slugs in 2018.
I like Lui, he was better than expected in 2018, but we're going into 2019 RELYING on him a a middle... doesnt feel like that's a good spot
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

if he can get himself together off the field he's a decent bench option

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: December 3, 2018, 11:20 am
Coastalraider wrote: December 3, 2018, 10:07 am Agree with Pigman, but it was more of a comment on Rickys habits over a longer period of time.

Joel Edwards, Mark Nicholls, Mitch Barnett, Jeff Lima, TPJ, Royce Hunt, Makahesi Makatoa, Scott Sorenson, Charlie Gubb, Jack Murchie... its a decent list of fringe players in a similar situation to Knight.

Meanwhile Luke Bateman gets his opportunities, and we have gone and signed another fringe player in Felise.
u

We also just re-signed Dunamis Lui for three years when there would appear to be no reason not to do a 1 or 2-year deal. Nobody would be chasing him.
Decent list? Which one? Surely not that one in the preceding sentence? Take out TPJ and you’ve got bubkiss. This place would go into absolute meltdown if anyone at the club used the word ‘decent’ in relation to signing one of those guys.

The Lui deal is entirely dependent on how much they paid. I’d guess he’s been on minimum wage for his whole career until this contract so we could have given him an increase and still saved money. Not to mention that the three years element might have been a big factor that helped keep the price down.

I like Knight but he’s shown very little in the opportunities he’s had. Not saying he can’t be a good first-grader but I’d happily take Lui ahead of him and/or chance my arm on another fringe guy. (Hopefully, we’ll turn up the next Nicholls, Edwards or Gubb - then the premiership will be ours!)
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I'm going to put myself on record that Dumanis Lui is better than he's being given credit for. There were a few games where he was our best middle forward - he took the ball up, he ran decoys, stood up in the middle of defence, he didn't fail his job. That might not sound like much but it put him in a hell of a lot better steading than some of our middles. He was better than Luke Bateman....

But he was also better than all the other allegedly ordinary second-tier forwards we have or are pursuing. The point being that if he played for another club we'd be shouting the house down that he was exactly the sort of averagely-paid blue collar worker we always paid overs for otherwise. Are we paying overs? I doubt it.

Has Liam Knight shown he's worth more? Objectively and obviously, no. Given a shot, will Liam Knight show the same stuff? Maybe, and I really hope he does. But at the moment, I know who I'd spend that probably meagre amount of cap space on.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I actually like Liam Knight, but it’s time he delivered on his potential and took his game to another level.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Ruben Daley wrote: December 3, 2018, 8:26 pm
Coastalraider wrote: December 3, 2018, 10:07 am Agree with Pigman, but it was more of a comment on Rickys habits over a longer period of time.

Joel Edwards, Mark Nicholls, Mitch Barnett, Jeff Lima, TPJ, Royce Hunt, Makahesi Makatoa, Scott Sorenson, Charlie Gubb, Jack Murchie... its a decent list of fringe players in a similar situation to Knight.

Meanwhile Luke Bateman gets his opportunities, and we have gone and signed another fringe player in Felise.
u

We also just re-signed Dunamis Lui for three years when there would appear to be no reason not to do a 1 or 2-year deal. Nobody would be chasing him.
Decent list? Which one? Surely not that one in the preceding sentence? Take out TPJ and you’ve got bubkiss. This place would go into absolute meltdown if anyone at the club used the word ‘decent’ in relation to signing one of those guys.

The Lui deal is entirely dependent on how much they paid. I’d guess he’s been on minimum wage for his whole career until this contract so we could have given him an increase and still saved money. Not to mention that the three years element might have been a big factor that helped keep the price down.

I like Knight but he’s shown very little in the opportunities he’s had. Not saying he can’t be a good first-grader but I’d happily take Lui ahead of him and/or chance my arm on another fringe guy. (Hopefully, we’ll turn up the next Nicholls, Edwards or Gubb - then the premiership will be ours!)
Jeff Lima was good. And Knight made every tackle and sidestepped defenders to score a barnstorming try to cap off the only time he actually got a decent run. What more can he do in that time? Killed it the one time he got a run. Rest was 3 minute bursts.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

BJ wrote: December 3, 2018, 10:50 pm I actually like Liam Knight, but it’s time he delivered on his potential and took his game to another level.
I actually like the Raiders, but it's time they delivered on their potential and took their game to another level.

Fixed it for ya BJ !!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Ruben Daley wrote: December 3, 2018, 8:26 pm

u

Sorry to push a button mate, what I meant by ‘decent’ was a long list, rather than a high quality one.

My point was that out of that’long’ list of fringe players, a few may have been able to do exactly what Lui has done - prove to be a serviceable beanch player, but so few of them were actually given game time to prove it. Just at a glance, TPJ, Sorensen and Barnett all moved on to get game time and have proven ‘servicable’. TPJ obviously proved to be a stud.
We seem to be stuck in a pattern of not signing starting middle players (and I don’t feel that shifting an international level edge player to the middle should count - ie Papalli/Tarpine/Bateman) and signing fringe players - but not actually giving those fringe players the opportunity to develop. When we needed an edge player last year (when Smelly was covering centre) instead of using Murchie who had already had a taste of first grade, and is a junior rep second rower, we shifted Sia out there who has been slowing down year on year, which not only weakened our edge, but weakened our prop rotation. That was the perfect opportunity to give Murchie some extra game time to develop when the season was already a write off.

And everyone here seems to think that Boys and Paulo should have seen a lot less time as the season wore on, but they kept getting the minutes against all common sense.

You just know that this new player, Felise, will finally get a game mid season due to injuries, and he will get 3 minutes off the bench when our other props are so exhausted they can barely stand.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Lui_Bon wrote:I'm going to put myself on record that Dumanis Lui is better than he's being given credit for. There were a few games where he was our best middle forward - he took the ball up, he ran decoys, stood up in the middle of defence, he didn't fail his job. That might not sound like much but it put him in a hell of a lot better steading than some of our middles. He was better than Luke Bateman....

But he was also better than all the other allegedly ordinary second-tier forwards we have or are pursuing. The point being that if he played for another club we'd be shouting the house down that he was exactly the sort of averagely-paid blue collar worker we always paid overs for otherwise. Are we paying overs? I doubt it.

Has Liam Knight shown he's worth more? Objectively and obviously, no. Given a shot, will Liam Knight show the same stuff? Maybe, and I really hope he does. But at the moment, I know who I'd spend that probably meagre amount of cap space on.
I'm with you. I rate Lui, for the role he plays.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Just on this conversation of the turnover of middle forwards etc. Stuart has a very long history of stacking squads with backrowers or small forwards. It almost makes sense at this point in rugby league history but he’s done it time and time again with little to no success.

Just on Knight: if he actually wants to be here I’m glad he’s staying. I’d imagine he’s on peanuts and is potentially a pretty good bang for your buck squad player if Stuart comes good at 70/1 odds of getting his top squad right.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

-PJ- wrote:
BJ wrote: December 3, 2018, 10:50 pm I actually like Liam Knight, but it’s time he delivered on his potential and took his game to another level.
I actually like the Raiders, but it's time they delivered on their potential and took their game to another level.

Fixed it for ya BJ !!
Cheers PJ. Good call.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

Coastalraider wrote: December 4, 2018, 7:09 am
Sorry to push a button mate, what I meant by ‘decent’ was a long list, rather than a high quality one.

My point was that out of that’long’ list of fringe players, a few may have been able to do exactly what Lui has done - prove to be a serviceable beanch player, but so few of them were actually given game time to prove it. Just at a glance, TPJ, Sorensen and Barnett all moved on to get game time and have proven ‘servicable’. TPJ obviously proved to be a stud.
We seem to be stuck in a pattern of not signing starting middle players (and I don’t feel that shifting an international level edge player to the middle should count - ie Papalli/Tarpine/Bateman) and signing fringe players - but not actually giving those fringe players the opportunity to develop. When we needed an edge player last year (when Smelly was covering centre) instead of using Murchie who had already had a taste of first grade, and is a junior rep second rower, we shifted Sia out there who has been slowing down year on year, which not only weakened our edge, but weakened our prop rotation. That was the perfect opportunity to give Murchie some extra game time to develop when the season was already a write off.

And everyone here seems to think that Boys and Paulo should have seen a lot less time as the season wore on, but they kept getting the minutes against all common sense.

You just know that this new player, Felise, will finally get a game mid season due to injuries, and he will get 3 minutes off the bench when our other props are so exhausted they can barely stand.
Ah, that makes a lot more sense and I agree. My misread.

It does appear to be a lottery about which fringe forward gets enough of a go to prove his merits. Royce Hunt is arguably the most baffling example.

Ricky seems to have the old mentality that you just pick the best players - the model I associate most with Daley’s Origin reign (noting I disagreed strongly with his opinion of who was best). It’s the same thinking that led to the hooker/halves debacle at the beginning of the season.

I just don’t think that works most of the time in the modern era because roles are specialised and the systems are complex so it takes a long time for even highly skilled players to adjust.

Back to the Knight debate, I still think he got an okay go. And Lui is far better than most give him credit for. I suppose I am just trying to balance the tendency by some on this forum to overrate players where it suits and underrate them at other times. (Not that you were doing that.)
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Knight moves

Liam Knight, aka ‘‘The Nightrider’’, has bounced around between teams. Talent has never been an issue for the former Sea Eagle, Rooster and Raider. His latest stop will be at Souths. If anyone can get him focused and firing it will be supercoach Wayne Bennett.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/this-i ... 50mim.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Haven’t the Raiders already denied this?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I heard he was staying.

I read that on here, I don't buy papers.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

They sure have. There must be a player swap on the cards. Last I heard was that Robert jennings doesn't have a contract cause they have no salary cap room son they must be looking to offload someone. Maybe there is some truth in the Alex Johnstone rumors. I'd prefer their you half back Adam Doueihi (at the right price). From memory he was the most effective defencive half in the game last year.
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

FROG wrote:They sure have. There must be a player swap on the cards. Last I heard was that Robert jennings doesn't have a contract cause they have no salary cap room son they must be looking to offload someone. Maybe there is some truth in the Alex Johnstone rumors. I'd prefer their you half back Adam Doueihi (at the right price). From memory he was the most effective defencive half in the game last year.
We were trying to sign Doueihi earlier in the year before he re-signed with the Rabbits on a long term deal. Big lad for a halfback but I doubt he’s going anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigPapa
John Ferguson

Post by BigPapa »

FROG wrote: December 16, 2018, 5:19 am They sure have. There must be a player swap on the cards. Last I heard was that Robert jennings doesn't have a contract cause they have no salary cap room son they must be looking to offload someone. Maybe there is some truth in the Alex Johnstone rumors. I'd prefer their you half back Adam Doueihi (at the right price). From memory he was the most effective defencive half in the game last year.
Not keen on Johnston would prefer Corey Allen if there's any truth to the rumour that he doesn't like Bennett.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

He has already moved to Sydney.

Vaccinated
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Serious question - why does the club not announce these things?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.