Raiders restructure coaching and high performance departments

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The Canberra Raiders have announced changes to their Coaching and High-Performance Departments ahead of the 2019 season.

After an extensive end of season review, the club has had the opportunity to bring in some new staff and restructure their football operations.

The restructure includes the earlier announced appointment of Andrew McFadden as NRL Assistant Coach, with McFadden returning to the club after six seasons with the New Zealand Warriors, including a stint as Head Coach.

The Mounties have also appointed Peter Marrapodi as the clubs Head Coach for the 2019 season, with Marrapodi to be based in Canberra and work with the NRL squad members playing for Mounties throughout the season.

As also previously announced, Ash Barnes will move into the Head Coaching role for the clubs under 20s program.

Raiders CEO Don Furner said the changes to the coaching structure gives the club a number of locally based coaches who have earnt the right to be part of the clubs coaching structure.

“The Raiders have a long history of producing top level coaches and we believe the most recent round of appointments will continue this into the future,” Furner said. “Andrew McFadden, Peter Marrapodi and Ash Barnes are all coaches who know our systems and who are hungry to learn more and help the club into the future.”

Raiders Head of Physical Performance Nigel Ashley-Jones said the changes to the High-Performance team gives the club the opportunity to bring some new ideas and resourcing into the clubs NRL program.

“Sport is all about adapting to change and doing everything you can to stay ahead of the competition,” Ashley-Jones said. “We’ve brought in some experienced and well qualified staff into the High-Performance team to help take us to the next level.

“The inclusion of Travis Ronaldson and Tom Christian into our team allows us to freshen up our approach and to introduce some new ideas and voices into our program. Travis has had extensive experience in both the NRL and AFL, while Tom’s appointment gives us someone who is familiar with GPS systems, and an extra physiotherapist to assist in our injury prevention and treatment.”

The changes to the Raiders Coaching/High-Performance team include:

NRL Assistant Coach – Andrew McFadden

Former Raiders NRL Assistant Coach, Andrew has spent the last six seasons with the New Zealand Warriors including time as their Head Coach.

ISP Coach – Peter Marrapodi

Peter has a long history coaching the club’s junior grades and most recently coached the Mounties Jersey Flegg team which reached the Preliminary Final in 2018.

Jersey Flegg Coach – Ash Barnes

Ash has worked with the clubs under 20s previously in an Assistant Role and was also Coach of the Woden Valley Rams (2018 Canberra Raiders Cup Premiers) and Monaro under 23 Representative Teams (2017 Country Champions).

NRL Strength and Power Coach/Club Dietitian – Travis Ronaldson

Travis has worked in the High-Performance teams of both the Melbourne Storm and Gold Coast Titans. Travis also has a background in AFL including a playing career in the VFL and as a staff member with the Western Bulldogs and Gold Coast Suns.

NRL Sports Scientist/Physiotherapist – Tom Christian

Tom moves to Canberra after working with Catapult Sports. He is also a qualified physiotherapist who will work in that role predominantly with the clubs under 20s program. Tom’s appointment allows club physiotherapist Isaac Priddis to work more with the NRL squad under Head Physiotherapist Konrad Schultz.

NRL Wellbeing Officer – Andrew Bishop

Andrew joins David Thom in the Clubs Career, Education and Wellbeing team. His appointment comes with a change in role for Dean Souter, who moves out of this position into a full-time role heading up the club’s junior development programs.

For a full list of club Football and Marketing Staff please visit: https://www.raiders.com.au/about/staff/

Canberra Raiders media
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Raiders restructure coaching and high performance departments

Post by greeneyed »

I wonder what happened with Ryan Carr?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

greeneyed wrote: November 8, 2018, 11:06 am I wonder what happened with Ryan Carr?
They found out he wasn't from Queanbeyan.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

And all this means squat...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-PJ- wrote:And all this means squat...
Those deck chairs aren't going to shuffle themselves.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

gergreg wrote: November 8, 2018, 1:02 pm
-PJ- wrote:And all this means squat...
Those deck chairs aren't going to shuffle themselves.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Well I shouldn't be so negative really.

It does say there's been an extensive end of season review.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

It left out the detail of who would replace Ricky mid season when we still suck due to his mismanagement.
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

Is the sports scientist creating a lucky spray for us?

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

‘Extensive’
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

I don't see a psychologist on the list
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Hashtag noexcuses.
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Tapine

Post by JezTez1984 »

:shock: :roflmao You mean the "extensive review" like the one we have every single year and continue to fail due to the exact same reasons? Game management, defence, close losses. These "reviews" dont do **** because the club is consistently happy with finishing 10th because we accept medicoricy. If this review was taken seriously at all the first person on the list would of been an elite defensive coach and we would of given Mal Meninga a major role but instead we let him run off to the gold coast when he was already based in Canberra.
Last edited by JezTez1984 on November 8, 2018, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I'm happy to see these guys get an opportunity but if this new arrangement doesn't get results, it has to be Don and Sticky on the chopping block.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

so no mention of Betty

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I'm happy to see this rearrangement of deck chairs.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

bonehead wrote: November 8, 2018, 6:45 pm so no mention of Betty

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
He is on the full list linked at the bottom of the article.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Interesting they have gone with a strength and power coach with an AFL background. Definitely goes with the theme that we want to reduce bulk and increase mobility.

I am pretty sure I can remember him playing for Gippsland Power in the TAC Cup when I was working in that. He then went on to captain Coburg in the VFL and also play in Tasmania and South Australia.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bad choice then I guess!
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

JezTez1984 wrote::shock: :roflmao You mean the "extensive review" like the one we have every single year and continue to fail due to the exact same reasons? Game management, defence, close losses. These "reviews" dont do **** because the club is consistently happy with finishing 10th because we accept medicoricy. If this review was taken with any seriously whatsoever the first person on the list would of been an elite defensive coach and we would of given Mal Meninga a major role but instead we let him run off to the gold coast when he was already based in Canberra.
I agree with you on the defensive coach. Who would be available?

On Mal... I’ll pass. Enjoy the GC. Have seen enough of his coaching decisions lately to see that the game has past him. Not that he was ever a great coach but he seriously now has no idea. Would not want him attached to the club in a coaching / advisor role.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: November 8, 2018, 10:16 pm Bad choice then I guess!
Was third in the JJ Liston medal in 2007 (Liston is the Brownlow equivalent of the VFL) so he could play. Moved to Gold Coast to work with the Suns but then went to the Titans so presumably worked under Matt Ford there.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Do we have a defence coach or are we gunna cuff it ?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

They'll bring Mark Bell in to help sort out our defence.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I thought Dobson was favourite for that role S82. :)

As with all changes I'll give them a chance and see how they go. My only issue with Cappy was that the Warriors were not defensive powerhouses in his time there. Still, he will bring a different skill set and who knows??

Aussie rules is more about cardio than power but the new bloke may have some ideas on how to combine the two. Here's hoping.
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Tapine

Post by JezTez1984 »

Let's be honest, those changes will not make a **** of difference to on field performance. Like I said if we were serious about success we would of moved heaven and earth to sign a top line defence coach. But the club does not see defence as an issue here and are happy to continue to accept bottom 8 finishes year after year. Remember the good old days when we made the finals every 2nd year no matter what on the back of an insane run home?? No matter how poor our roster was we always managed to have a blitzing run and somehow manage to make the 8. Now we cant even do that anymore. What a time to be alive..
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Rick wrote: November 8, 2018, 10:24 pm
JezTez1984 wrote::shock: :roflmao You mean the "extensive review" like the one we have every single year and continue to fail due to the exact same reasons? Game management, defence, close losses. These "reviews" dont do **** because the club is consistently happy with finishing 10th because we accept medicoricy. If this review was taken with any seriously whatsoever the first person on the list would of been an elite defensive coach and we would of given Mal Meninga a major role but instead we let him run off to the gold coast when he was already based in Canberra.
I agree with you on the defensive coach. Who would be available?

On Mal... I’ll pass. Enjoy the GC. Have seen enough of his coaching decisions lately to see that the game has past him. Not that he was ever a great coach but he seriously now has no idea. Would not want him attached to the club in a coaching / advisor role.
I wouldn't go that far but I definitely see Mal these days as more of a consultant than a day in day out worker. Give him a very narrow focus for a short period to pass on some experience and ideas then move on. Which is pretty much what we've done for a few years and it's hard to tell if it's had any affect at all. You'd probably have to interview the players to get valid feedback.