‘Restored my faith in humanity’: Sia Soliola’s act of generosity for distraught Raiders fan

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

‘Restored my faith in humanity’: Sia Soliola’s act of generosity for distraught Raiders fan

Post by greeneyed »

‘Restored my faith in humanity’: Sia Soliola’s act of generosity for distraught Canberra Raiders fan

CANBERRA veteran Sia Soliola is well-known as one of the NRL’s nice guys — a fact that has been further confirmed by a touching letter written to the club. Read her letter below:

Hi, my name is Tess. I’m not sure how to get this to who it needs to go to, but I’m hoping you can help and pass this onto the appropriate person.

I’ve been a Raiders member for quite a few years now and a Raiders fan since I was 5. I’m 35 now. About a month ago or a bit over that now, I had an amazing experience with Sia Soliola and I wanted to write to thank him, but also let the club know.

As a Raiders tragic, I know Sia is a leader of the club and an amazing player. But my experience with him, he also restored my faith in humanity and as a mum, he helped me and my kids out, totally off his own back and in his own personal time.

About a month ago My car was broken into overnight and some bags taken from it. I’d just returned from Sydney with my child having surgery there and I’d had major surgery myself in August. The bags stolen were just shopping bags and contained our worn clothes plus some new clothes, books and soft toys I’d only bought the day before. I was walking the streets of my suburb as up one street I’d found a bag had been tossed out and a few books and items of clothing on the road. All ruined as they’d been driven over and obviously thrown from the car of the person/people who’d broken into my car. I was walking the streets hoping to find they’d tossed more bags as the items were pretty useless to anyone but me, with the exception of the new baby clothes, kids toys I’d bought and a bag of medical papers and supplies from the hospital.

While walking I was asking anyone I saw out the front of their house or yards if they’d seen any bags around or could keep an eye out. This is when I came across Sia — just out the front in his yard. Being distressed and upset I didn’t recognise him. (Embarrassing now!!)

I asked him the same — if he’d seen anything around or could keep an eye out. He said yes definitely he’d keep an eye out, asked what happened and had a chat with me. He was incredibly nice, compassionate and asked if he could help in any way. I said no thank you, other than keeping an eye out and that the supermarket had my number if anyone found anything. I then finally recognised him as he held his hand out and said introduced himself “well my names Sia and if u ever need anything this is where I am and feel free to come up and ask’.

If I wasn’t a raiders fan I wouldn’t have recognised him and he was just another person, community member going about their own business.

We had a chat about the Raiders and general things and during that was when he saw I had tears in my eyes from the stress and things I’d lost and desperately looking for. He asked about my kids and if we were OK. He then offered to drive me around the suburb for 5/10 mins to look as I couldn’t walk far. I politely declined not wanting to put him out but he insisted. I managed to find a few bits of paperwork but nothing else. He dropped me back to my unit and also gave me some money to ‘buy the kids something’. To say I was blown away is an understatement! He was so kind, calm and just an amazing person. And incredibly generous.

He absolutely restored my faith in people and humanity and as a single parent, having my car broken into after my surgery and my child’s surgery was the last straw for me.

I’d love this note and my thanks to be passed onto Sia himself. He absolutely changed my day and his kindness, compassion, and genuine caring calmed me down and I was incredibly touched by his kindness. I couldn’t believe anyone would be so helpful or kind.

Id also love if this email could be passed onto the club to the appropriate person as an acknowledgment and to know what one of your players did and my gratitude for it.

I wouldn’t have known who Sia was if I wasn’t a Raiders fan as he didn’t mention anything. He was an absolute gentleman and was genuinely concerned for me, my kids and doing anything that may help. Even just driving me around to look then dropping me back to my unit was amazing as I was in considerable pain from my surgery and emotionally overwhelmed.

I can see why Sia is a leader at the Raiders — his genuineness and compassion was so evident. I was a total stranger walking the streets and he went above and beyond to help me.

I’m incredibly grateful and he absolutely made my day by helping me look, taking me home and making me laugh with his awesome sense of humour. He told me about when he was younger he had his first car broken into and related to that feeling of having something you own and worked hard for broken into, stolen and being left to clean up and the uselessness of those kinds of things happening. He asked how old my kids were and if we were OK, needed anything, felt safe etc. He was just simply amazing. Amazing in being so down to earth, kind and helpful.

I feel this deserves to be recognised and for the Raiders to know what Sia did and how much he helped me.

And if a thank you to Sia himself from me could be passed on I’d be so grateful. He made my day and restored my faith when I was very low after everything we’d been through.

Naturally, he didn’t have to do any of what he did, but he did and did it off his own back and in his own time and I’m so grateful for everything he did for me that day.

Thank you, and go Raiders 2019!

Kind regards,

Tess

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1e3c8d9f62

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50eb9.html

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/11 ... a-soliola/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: ‘Restored my faith in humanity’: Sia Soliola’s act of generosity for distraught Raiders fan

Post by greeneyed »

Gotta love Sia!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: ‘Restored my faith in humanity’: Sia Soliola’s act of generosity for distraught Raiders fan

Post by dubby »

Legend

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

Onya Sia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

^^ great post!
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Hope the club finds something for him after he retires. Has a lot to offer imho.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Sia is all Class
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Tapine

Post by JezTez1984 »

What a legend, this is not the first time Sia has done something like this. I think its underestimated how important Sia is to this club on and off the field. A true leader, gentleman and just such a genuine and honest person. Going to be a very sad time when Sia leaves this great club.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don't think he will. I can't imagine the club not finding a role for him.
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Tapine

Post by JezTez1984 »

greeneyed wrote: November 6, 2018, 5:48 pm I don't think he will. I can't imagine the club not finding a role for him.
That would be good, he is an influential figure and by all reports is a huge factor in helping new players adjust to the club and takes all of the polynesians under his wing :thumbsup
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I think he's do an excellent job in junior development, recruitment, community outreach, he'd probably make an excellent defensive coach as well.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

What a great story.

When I lost something in 2013, it was all Josh Dugan and Blake Ferguson’s fault.

Whilst it was only my mind that I lost, Dugan was no help at all.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Sia is a good human, his kids and wife are very lucky.

Lets hope he's with us for years to come
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Brilliant man to have at the club, hope he continues with the club after retirement, might have another year or so in him yet hopefully too

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Finally got around to reading this... the world needs more Sia’s
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

One very special person.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

If they don't find a role for Sia when he eventually retires I will chain myself to the gates of their brand new development until they find one.

You simply don't let people like this leave, ever.

Best thing he Ricky has done for this club is sign Sia.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Onya Sia!
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

The game needs more Sia and less Fatfita
greeneyed
Don Furner

Ricky Stuart praises Sia Soliola for ‘nice guy’ act

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart praises Sia Soliola for ‘nice guy’ act

Sia Soliola is known for his toughness and will to do the hard yards on the field, but a ‘nice guy’ gesture to a suffering single mum has shown that NRL stars shouldn’t be portrayed as lads and party boys who don’t give a damn away from footy.

“It’s not uncommon for Sia,” Stuart said. “It’s certainly not something that he’s comfortable with that this was public knowledge. But I still think that it’s very fortunate for people to hear and see what people like Sia (do) and how they act in public.

Read more and audio interview on the Raiders' pre-season and reported links to Shaun Johnson: https://www.sportsradio.com.au/ricky-st ... e-guy-act/
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

He’s the new Wiki, love him

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Can we sack Wighton and hire another Sia or two please?

I honestly think we’d be more successful with a no **** policy too. Win win.

Keep up the good work Sia