Rapana to miss six months with shoulder injury

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Re: Rapana could miss six months with shoulder injury

Post by edwahu »

It would have to be. The club Dr does an assessment and estimates a return, the NRL review and approve the dispensation.

I doubt it would need to be 12 games ruled by the Dr, just within an acceptable range since if the player ends up been fit early they have to still miss 12 games.

I guess with a injury right around the 12 weeks the question is whether potentially missing 2 or 3 games of fit Rapana if he came back early is worth 150k to spend on a replacement.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Ridiculous rule.

But if that's the rule we'd be dumb not to extend his rehab to the 12 weeks.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Seiffert82 wrote: November 10, 2018, 7:40 am Ridiculous rule.

I am not so sure now. What if he is fit in 8?

If Rapa is on say 400k, we get 200k for a winger. I reckon Rapana probably helps more in a month than his replacement in 12 weeks.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

edwahu wrote: November 10, 2018, 7:48 am
Seiffert82 wrote: November 10, 2018, 7:40 am Ridiculous rule.

I am not so sure now. What if he is fit in 8?

If Rapa is on say 400k, we get 200k for a winger. I reckon Rapana probably helps more in a month than his replacement in 12 weeks.
Sit both Rapana and Hingano out for 12 and use the cash to bring Norman into the halves and Angel Marina as a squad filler on the wing.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Rick wrote: November 9, 2018, 10:39 pm
greeneyed wrote:
gangrenous wrote: November 9, 2018, 9:22 pm Off-season should probably count for about 2-3 games I reckon.
If they’re out six months or more... just count time out.
Hypothetically; What about old mate from the Roosters who has been carrying some injury all year, plays the first international in October then goes and has a clean out. Comes back 6 months later in March and his club is now 6 months in advance of the salary cap due to the rule.

If the NRL can’t even get the cap right I don’t expect them to even get close on this

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Terrible example. Since when did the Roosters need cap relief?

;)
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Canberra Raiders winger Jordan Rapana to have shoulder surgery, will be sidelined until at least Round 11 2019

Canberra Raiders winger Jordan Rapana will undergo surgery this week to repair his dislocated shoulder, after he injured it playing for New Zealand in the second test last week.

The surgery means Rapana will miss six months of football, with the Kiwi International ruled out until late May of 2019. This means he won't be available until at least round 11 in 2019.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/12/jor ... ix-months/

For the 'Josh Hodgson rule' how was the arbitrary number 12 games plucked?

Since Rapana could be out before or after 12 games when is the compensation given? e.g. if someone had an acl or Achilles injury for Origin Game 1, you know they are going to be out for the rest of the season, so I imagine the compensation for that would need to be given up front to use for the rest of that season? Whereas an injury like this one can't be because he could be back before or after, unless a team is allowed to just sit the player our for an extra couple of weeks to make up the 12 just to be safe?

I think it would make more sense to have $X amount of salary cap per week as compensation, making it a fairly small amount so that the rule isn't exploited. Also if I were doing that, I would've had a minimum of 2-3 weeks to stop teams using "hamstring injuries" to rest players after an origin etc.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They have to miss 12 games, that is, half the season's home and away matches. But you're correct, it makes more sense to say they must miss six months from the date of injury/surgery - given most internationals are played after the season, and the clubs must pay a sidelined player right through the off season, when they are unable to prepare for the year.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: Rapana to miss six months with shoulder injury

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

So trials count for suspensions but not for the application of this rule? Consistently inconsistent.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 12, 2018, 11:12 am So trials count for suspensions but not for the application of this rule? Consistently inconsistent.
Yep.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

We will surely get the dispensation for 11-14 weeks. Surely.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Rapana out for half the season. 2019 is boring already. See you in 2020.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Time to get all Trump and have a Raiders First policy.

No rep games!
Yap
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Dave Leave Nothing In The Tank Shillington

Post by Yap »

Schifty wrote: November 12, 2018, 12:29 pm Time to get all Trump and have a Raiders First policy.

No rep games!
MAKE CANBERRA GREAT AGAIN
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Sid wrote: November 12, 2018, 10:58 am I think it would make more sense to have $X amount of salary cap per week as compensation, making it a fairly small amount so that the rule isn't exploited. Also if I were doing that, I would've had a minimum of 2-3 weeks to stop teams using "hamstring injuries" to rest players after an origin etc.
greeneyed wrote: November 12, 2018, 11:07 am They have to miss 12 games, that is, half the season's home and away matches. But you're correct, it makes more sense to say they must miss six months from the date of injury/surgery - given most internationals are played after the season, and the clubs must pay a sidelined player right through the off season, when they are unable to prepare for the year.
I think you need to find a middle ground between a length of time and Sid's system TBH. $ per game out is a good idea. Obviously a time period must apply, with 'long term' being the time period that needs to be defined. Because, like in this case, Rapa's injury starts now, but the season doesnt start for months. Thus, he is out 'long term', its just he isnt missing 'long term' games, as currently defined by the system.

The reason it needs to be both, we are paying Rapa a contract ATM, yet, he cant train. He cant be a part of the Raiders system until sometime next yr. So, the time period needs to be set, and if half a season is that mark, then give that a day value (178 days is half the yr, and therefore approx 6 months). TBH, Id have though 90-100 days, or 3 months, was a pretty significant and long term injury. However, 'post season surgery' would complicate this, meaning that perhaps there needs to be a couple of different rules applied.

Eg.
1. During the season - Injury suffered on/ after the 1st Pre-season game - 'long term' = 90-100 days (pick a length, but approx 3 months). This injury must have occured during/ after the 1st pre-season game, right up til GF day of current season (OR, post the date of the final team/ cap lists are due of said season).

2. Post season - Any injury suffered after players club team is ineligible for games (ie. didnt make finals, been knocked out of finals, post GF) - 'long term' = 150-175 days (again, pick a length, but approx 6 months).

In both instances there should be some form of extra cap compensation for games missed, which obviously varies depending on the timing of said injury. As Sid said, $X per game, which I think this should be a % of the players cost against the cap. I also agree with Sid that it should be a low number, say 1-3%.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker wants 'Hodgson rule' used to replace injured Jordan Rapana

Canberra Raiders skipper Jarrod Croker would like to see the club take advantage of the "Josh Hodgson rule" after star winger Jordan Rapana was ruled out for six months on Monday.

"It's very disappointing for Jordan, he's been one of our best players for a couple of years now and undoubtedly the best winger in the world, or up there anyway. To lose him for probably the first half of the season or so is extremely disappointing. It gives someone like Michael Oldfield a chance but it also makes that backline a little bit skinny.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50ffv.html

Canberra flyer Jordan Rapana out for six months with shoulder injury: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... d5d4eb5e0d

Luckless Raiders' long Rapana injury blow: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/raiders-ra ... 19cae4f5ee
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

greeneyed wrote: November 12, 2018, 2:42 pm Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker wants 'Hodgson rule' used to replace injured Jordan Rapana

Canberra Raiders skipper Jarrod Croker would like to see the club take advantage of the "Josh Hodgson rule" after star winger Jordan Rapana was ruled out for six months on Monday.

"It's very disappointing for Jordan, he's been one of our best players for a couple of years now and undoubtedly the best winger in the world, or up there anyway. To lose him for probably the first half of the season or so is extremely disappointing. It gives someone like Michael Oldfield a chance but it also makes that backline a little bit skinny.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50ffv.html

Canberra flyer Jordan Rapana out for six months with shoulder injury: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... d5d4eb5e0d

Luckless Raiders' long Rapana injury blow: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/raiders-ra ... 19cae4f5ee
Would like to see someone other than one of our wingers being our best. I think as a supporter I took Campo for granted, would have been great seeing him and pis head play together. Atm they would be rather delicious.
WorkChoice
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I wonder if the 3rd test he missed due to injury counts??
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

If he’s scheduled to come back around week 11, we’d be mad not to give it an extra few weeks and not get this dispensation
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Pigman wrote: November 13, 2018, 7:41 am If he’s scheduled to come back around week 11, we’d be mad not to give it an extra few weeks and not get this dispensation
Yea we'll sign someone but with the replacement player only likely to be a reserve grader post round 12 and on 200k or so or less then he's unlikely to be anyone of any sort of quality, If its allowed we should be looking at a utility, someone you can convince the nrl can play wing but is more of a half(someone like Kurt Mann),
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I wouldn’t use the dispensation on a winger
I’m fine with Cotric/Oldfield

I’d use it to give us a halves upgrade
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Pigman wrote: November 13, 2018, 8:32 am I wouldn’t use the dispensation on a winger

It has to be the same position
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Pigman wrote: November 13, 2018, 7:41 am If he’s scheduled to come back around week 11, we’d be mad not to give it an extra few weeks and not get this dispensation
If that's a choice the club is allowed to make, then yeah

I don't know if the NRL can turn around and say "No, the doctors/physio's say the injury is 11 games, not 12, so you're not going to be compensated"
Last edited by Sid on November 13, 2018, 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

If we get an injury to one of our backs we are royally screwed... Especially with captains knee issue
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

As it currently stands, who is next in line if Oldfield is injured ? Abbey to the wing? :doubt:

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Someone suggested kurt mann in another thread and i think its perfect. Kurt can easily be passed off as a wing replacement while at the same time being an upgrade on sam williams until we sign shaun johnson.
Edit: it was this thread and it was kiwi. Great call
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Raiders666 wrote: November 13, 2018, 8:36 am
Pigman wrote: November 13, 2018, 8:32 am I wouldn’t use the dispensation on a winger

It has to be the same position
Ah really? I didn’t know that
That stinks
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah I thought the justification for Mann was weird but it makes perfect sense now I know the rule about this

Agreed, that’s probably the sort of move to make with it
Surlyraider
Simon Woolford
Location: "If you don't like Canberra, f&#! off back where you came from"

Post by Surlyraider »

edwahu wrote: November 12, 2018, 11:31 am We will surely get the dispensation for 11-14 weeks. Surely.
NRL have denied us the salary cap relief for his injury
"I'm the white Larry Bird"
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Surlyraider wrote: November 13, 2018, 9:19 am
edwahu wrote: November 12, 2018, 11:31 am We will surely get the dispensation for 11-14 weeks. Surely.
Source?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I've only seen a media report that the Raiders have given up on relief for Hingano.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I saw a Telegraph report that implied we would miss out, but not a confirmation.

It will say a lot about where Don is as a leader if the NRL does deny us and we just cop it.
Surlyraider
Simon Woolford

Post by Surlyraider »

edwahu wrote: November 13, 2018, 9:57 am
Surlyraider wrote: November 13, 2018, 9:19 am
Source?
Tele, Australian, everywhere. Bout an hour ago
Surlyraider
Simon Woolford

Post by Surlyraider »

edwahu wrote: November 13, 2018, 10:14 am I saw a Telegraph report that implied we would miss out, but not a confirmation.

It will say a lot about where Don is as a leader if the NRL does deny us and we just cop it.
There's a report where we applied and it was denied.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Do you have a link? I only see one saying they might knock it back.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Can we have a link? I'm looking at The DT... and there is an article from Paul Crawley saying the rule doesn't offer relief as both Hingano and Rapana will miss less than 12 games... not that the NRL has made an official pronouncement on it (?).