Rapana to miss six months with shoulder injury

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Rapana to miss six months with shoulder injury

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders winger Jordan Rapana returning to Australia with shoulder injury

Canberra winger Jordan Rapana will return to Australia on Wednesday after scans revealed a shoulder dislocation in New Zealand's 20-14 loss to England on Sunday.

The 29-year-old will seek further treatment options when he returns to the nation's capital. If surgery is required, a shoulder dislocation could keep Rapana on the sidelines for as long as six months. Conversely, he may be back on the training paddock in as little as a month.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/05/con ... iwis-loss/

Kiwis winger Jordan Rapana to miss third England test after dislocating his shoulder: https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/10 ... s-shoulder

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart sweats on Jordan Rapana’s dislocated shoulder: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 6e6475737e
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Rapana returning to Australia with shoulder injury

Post by BadnMean »

When it goes twice in the same game and won't pop back in the second time, it won't be the 1 month rehab...
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

The same coach who left Greg Inglis on the wing for an entire game with a busted ACL is is confident New Zealand's medical staff handled Rapana's injury professionally. He hurt is once, stayed out there, then dislocated it.
Ok thanks.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Awesome....

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Should send Tapine back on the plane with him.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

edwahu wrote:Should send Tapine back on the plane with him.
And the 3 English lads. Dead rubber. At least Rapana is replaceable to an extent with Oldfield.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Tapine

Post by JezTez1984 »

Beejay wrote: November 6, 2018, 11:09 am The same coach who left Greg Inglis on the wing for an entire game with a busted ACL is is confident New Zealand's medical staff handled Rapana's injury professionally. He hurt is once, stayed out there, then dislocated it.
Ok thanks.
No duty of care at all, time to boycott rep matches. Hodgo last year now rapa this year, two of our best and most influential players missing a large chunk of their respective seasons. Oh the Joy's.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

JezTez1984 wrote: November 6, 2018, 4:44 pm
Beejay wrote: November 6, 2018, 11:09 am The same coach who left Greg Inglis on the wing for an entire game with a busted ACL is is confident New Zealand's medical staff handled Rapana's injury professionally. He hurt is once, stayed out there, then dislocated it.
Ok thanks.
No duty of care at all, time to boycott rep matches. Hodgo last year now rapa this year, two of our best and most influential players missing a large chunk of their respective seasons. Oh the Joy's.
The NRL, appropriately, wouldn’t permit that. And players certainly wouldn’t want to join a club that denied them the opportunity to represent their State in Origin and/or the country in Tests.
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku

Post by JezTez1984 »

greeneyed wrote: November 6, 2018, 4:47 pm
Ok thanks.
The NRL, appropriately, wouldn’t permit that. And players certainly wouldn’t want to join a club that denied them the opportunity to represent their State in Origin and/or the country in Tests.
I was joking about the boycott mate, it would obviously never happen.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

JezTez1984 wrote: November 6, 2018, 5:03 pm
greeneyed wrote: November 6, 2018, 4:47 pm
Ok thanks.
I was joking about the boycott mate, it would obviously never happen.
:)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders could get salary-cap relief for Jordan Rapana's injured shoulder

The Canberra Raiders have spoken to the NRL about using a salary cap dispensation rule for injured international stars as they wait to find out if Jordan Rapana will miss the next six months.

"Hopefully Jordan's injury isn't that bad. We'll assess him when he gets back and it's hard to tell at this stage, but we are looking at using [the dispensation]," Furner said. "It's hard to know with injuries whether someone will come back sooner or whether it will take longer - everyone's different. But if it is a long-term injury, we'll explore the new rule.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50e8s.html
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

BadnMean wrote: November 6, 2018, 10:36 am When it goes twice in the same game and won't pop back in the second time, it won't be the 1 month rehab...
Hingano had a similar issue didn't he? I hope it is not that serious.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

It sounds like the dispensation isn't pro-rated since the player is signed for 12 months. That's one upside if Rapana is only going to miss half the season.

I'd hope they just stand down Hingano for 12 given the circumstances as well.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

greeneyed wrote: November 6, 2018, 5:36 pm Canberra Raiders could get salary-cap relief for Jordan Rapana's injured shoulder

The Canberra Raiders have spoken to the NRL about using a salary cap dispensation rule for injured international stars as they wait to find out if Jordan Rapana will miss the next six months.

"Hopefully Jordan's injury isn't that bad. We'll assess him when he gets back and it's hard to tell at this stage, but we are looking at using [the dispensation]," Furner said. "It's hard to know with injuries whether someone will come back sooner or whether it will take longer - everyone's different. But if it is a long-term injury, we'll explore the new rule.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50e8s.html
They should apply for the dispensation, use it and deal with the consequences if and when Rapa is 100% fit.

Also, I wonder what the penalty is if he comes back early? Surely it isn't enough to cause us any real trouble should he undergo surgery and recover quicker than expected.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

It says in the article you have the option to stand them down for 12 weeks. I don't think you could bring them back early in that case unless you had cap and roster space to pay the replacement.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

These end of season injuries are interesting with this new rule. The issue is if the player suffers a leg injury and is only going to miss the first 8 games it really is closer to a month anyway given they didn't have any real preseason and is therefore generally not at the same level. You may be better off rolling the dice and saying take the extra month to get fit and use the 350k salary to buy someone with a eye to have extra quality at the back end of the year.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

1000% should apply to this, he looked in pain, obviously depends on scans etc, but one of our best players week in week out and we need him bad

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

The rule is you can only replace a player in the same position, right?

My question is if Rapa and Hingano are both out long-term can we combine the money to buy one cheapo winger and one quality halfback?

(Though maybe the NRL will rule Hingano is a winger too.)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ruben Daley wrote: November 6, 2018, 9:30 pm The rule is you can only replace a player in the same position, right?

My question is if Rapa and Hingano are both out long-term can we combine the money to buy one cheapo winger and one quality halfback?

Correct. I can see the NRL disallowing both claims. Which will just go to show the rule is a chimera.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Ruben Daley wrote: November 6, 2018, 9:30 pm The rule is you can only replace a player in the same position, right?

I doubt it. If we stood down Hingano and Rapana for the 12 week minimum we could replace Hingano with a cheapo half and Rapana with one good winger.

They previously said it was pro-rata for the games missed but it doesn't seem to be anymore.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

This whole thing really bugs me.

I get growing the game etc etc but the rep team medical/coaching staff need to be more responsible

In both ata and jordan's cases they dislocated their shoulder and were allowed/expected to play on for most of the match.

So a possible simple few weeks rehab turns into 6months hard work that impacts the club more then it would have impacted the test team.

And we pay their wage!

Also does the rehab of the boys dig into our football department salary cap?

There needs to be more accountability from the kiwi and tongan teams. And if the medical/football staff are risking players then something needs to happen.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

cat wrote: November 6, 2018, 10:31 pm This whole thing really bugs me.

I get growing the game etc etc but the rep team medical/coaching staff need to be more responsible

In both ata and jordan's cases they dislocated their shoulder and were allowed/expected to play on for most of the match.

So a possible simple few weeks rehab turns into 6months hard work that impacts the club more then it would have impacted the test team.

And we pay their wage!

Also does the rehab of the boys dig into our football department salary cap?

There needs to be more accountability from the kiwi and tongan teams. And if the medical/football staff are risking players then something needs to happen.

cat... I certainly understand this perspective. I have an uncomfortable feeling that the medical/training teams of other nations have not cared for our players as our own club would. I don’t think it’d be any different in an Origin. If rep teams expect clubs to release players, as they should... the rep teams have to demonstrate upmost care for injured players. I love international footy, I think we have to support it, but if Origin and Test teams play club players, they must demonstrate more care than they seem to be.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Totally agree GE, and i get the whole "build the game" thought with rep teams but to be brutally honest i prefer our boys not to be picked because i am over it.

You have to feel for our coaching and medical team. They put months of hard work in , long hours and then others with lower standards stuff it.

* croker with the all stars game
* Samoan fat club
* tapine last season for the kiwis
* hodgo for uk also went back on and stuffed it
* ata twice now for tonga
* rapana now

And that is just off the top of my head.

The boys themselves can only do so much, the rep teams must be made to treat the boys better or they should be stripped of their accreditation and clubs properly compensated

A question i would hate to think of the answer to, if rapana wasn't a raiders player but played for a club associated to a coach/support staff's team would he have played on?

Just seems we lose out everytime.

Its like the old days with carney/dugan etc . You held your breath all bye round weekend praying some stupid behaviour doesn't derail our season.

Now its every rep game we hold our breath praying we dont lose the season before we started thanks to another rep player staying on when injured

Vaccinated
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Totally agree our club would never allow a player to stay on the field after a suspected dislocation only to do further damage later in the match.........oh wait
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.smh ... 4zrii.html
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

That was **** stupid also. Just means Raiders should also pull their heads out of their arses.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

RTW wrote:Totally agree our club would never allow a player to stay on the field after a suspected dislocation only to do further damage later in the match.........oh wait
There is a big difference between the Croker case and what has happened to ata and rapana.

Firstly we didn't continue to play him after the second dislocation and he wasn't struggling like ata was and by all reports jordan was ( didn't watch the game)

Secondly it wasn't during a game we were already losing and was therefore meaningless in the scheme of things and didn't have the potential to derail next season like both the tongan and kiwi games were

And thirdly, putting on my "its business hat" croker was our's to risk, we "own" him.

Tonga and new Zealand were boring our laptop for a presentation and broke it, or borrowed our best dress for the party and spilt bettroot down the front. It's oyr dress so we can risk the beetroot, not their dress so no beetroot!

Vaccinated
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Only argument I agree with there is that from a business sense it was our risk to take. Except that disregards our player responsibility and so should be moot.

He was clearly busted and should have been hooked.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

gangrenous wrote:Only argument I agree with there is that from a business sense it was our risk to take. Except that disregards our player responsibility and so should be moot.

He was clearly busted and should have been hooked.
And cooper cronk should not have been allowed to play in the grand final. But at the end of the day it was the roosters risk to take.

It should not be acceptable for rep teams to take the same risk. And if it was kangaroos doing to someone i would feel the same.

According to Instagram Elliot has taken jordan to the airport and helped him with his bags, where are the kiwi support staff?

Vaccinated
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I think it's more the players risk to take. If a player wants to play or continue to play when injured what can the club or coach do? Physically drag a player off? The sport is littered with great stories of players pushing through pain barriers to inspire their team. Our (raiders) greatest player played with a plate on his broken arm when realistically he should have been resting and recovering.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I'd say if the trainers deem the player isn't fit its not up to the player. The player needs to come off.

For me, playing injured isnt the problem unless an injured player remains on in a situation where they can do further damage.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

cat wrote:
RTW wrote:Totally agree our club would never allow a player to stay on the field after a suspected dislocation only to do further damage later in the match.........oh wait
There is a big difference between the Croker case and what has happened to ata and rapana.

Firstly we didn't continue to play him after the second dislocation and he wasn't struggling like ata was and by all reports jordan was ( didn't watch the game)

Secondly it wasn't during a game we were already losing and was therefore meaningless in the scheme of things and didn't have the potential to derail next season like both the tongan and kiwi games were

And thirdly, putting on my "its business hat" croker was our's to risk, we "own" him.

Tonga and new Zealand were boring our laptop for a presentation and broke it, or borrowed our best dress for the party and spilt bettroot down the front. It's oyr dress so we can risk the beetroot, not their dress so no beetroot!

Cat in your first post you said rep teams had lower standards when actually we had the exact same standards with our captain. My memory must be different to yours because I Thought Croker was struggling.

In Rapanas case the Kiwis were in front in a must win game. Our season despite being mathematically still alive was toast in Crokers situation. Granted Hingano continued to play in a losing situation but he played for a country attempting to earn the respect of international footy and in doing so push for tier 1 status I would say Tonga had a lot to gain from that test match.

Thirdly do players not get payed for international games?

To talk in your terms we don’t “own” the players we “lease” them if we owned them we could sell them when we were done with them. When outside of our “lease agreements” they can rightly be “leased” out to someone else. In this case international Rugby League.

It is not another Rugby League conspiracy against the Canberra Raiders in an ideal situation they are taken off to avoid further injury but this will never happen in any rep/finals game.

JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku

Post by JezTez1984 »

My mate just sent me a message this morning saying he is only out for 6-12 weeks of the offseason and will be fit and raring to go for the start of the season. Not sure where he heard this but brilliant news if true.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Rapana plays such a gangbusters style I'll be sweating that shoulder all season now.

They should just finish the process started with his melon and replace it all with titanium. The full wolverine.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

BadnMean wrote: November 7, 2018, 9:01 am Rapana plays such a gangbusters style I'll be sweating that shoulder all season now.

They should just finish the process started with his melon and replace it all with titanium. The full wolverine.
Half human half cyborg
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

RTW wrote:
cat wrote:

Cat in your first post you said rep teams had lower standards when actually we had the exact same standards with our captain. My memory must be different to yours because I Thought Croker was struggling.

In Rapanas case the Kiwis were in front in a must win game. Our season despite being mathematically still alive was toast in Crokers situation. Granted Hingano continued to play in a losing situation but he played for a country attempting to earn the respect of international footy and in doing so push for tier 1 status I would say Tonga had a lot to gain from that test match.

Thirdly do players not get payed for international games?

To talk in your terms we don’t “own” the players we “lease” them if we owned them we could sell them when we were done with them. When outside of our “lease agreements” they can rightly be “leased” out to someone else. In this case international Rugby League.

It is not another Rugby League conspiracy against the Canberra Raiders in an ideal situation they are taken off to avoid further injury but this will never happen in any rep/finals game.
I think we will just need to agree to disagree

Vaccinated