Rapana to miss six months with shoulder injury

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Re: Rapana to miss six months with shoulder injury

Post by Sid »

so because Rapana is estimated back in 6 months instead of 6 months and 1 week it's not deemed as a long term injury and Raiders miss out on extra cap relief..

Good **** grief

I really hope Raiders don't offer anyone up for the crummy all stars game.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Why Canberra will not get salary cap compensation for Rapana

The Canberra Raiders are set to miss any salary cap relief for long term injuries to Ata Hingano and Jordan Rapana under the "Hodgson rule", as they will not miss 12 NRL matches.

“It is very disappointing, obviously,” CEO Don Furner said. “Now we just have to get the surgery done, rehab them and see how we go. There is that rule in place. But it is a long way off whether we would be the beneficiary because one of them (Rapana) hasn’t even had the operation yet. It depends on how his recovery goes.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... e6bcf5f1ac
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The story had no quotes from an NRL spokesperson, just outlines the rule.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

You reckon the roosters or Broncos would be denied before an operation or rehab has even commenced!!

Surely a decision isn't made so quick.
What if the op goes all wrong and he gets a bad infection?

I think if they amputated his arm the NRL would somehow deny us.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Johno wrote: November 13, 2018, 2:02 pm You reckon the roosters or Broncos would be denied before an operation or rehab has even commenced!!

Roosters would've medically retired Hingano freeing up 750k.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

So Hingano missed the remainder of this season due to a broken ankle in the Tonga test in June and then does his shoulder again for Tonga without playing a single Raiders game.

Wow NRL really helped us out with the Josh Hodgson rule. NOT!!!!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BJ wrote:So Hingano missed the remainder of this season due to a broken ankle in the Tonga test in June and then does his shoulder again for Tonga without playing a single Raiders game.

Wow NRL really helped us out with the Josh Hodgson rule. NOT!!!!
I said earlier no good will come from this rule, named after one of our players. If they change the interpretation to 6 months instead of using games our players will get injured for 5 and a half. If they say up to 3 players can be replaced we'll have 4 injured. It's going to be a bad omen.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

Surely the NRL can put the onus back on the Raiders and say if we approve this, Rapana cannot play before round 12! Easy!

Im sure this can be done and am also sure that Raps will be back by round 7 or 8 hence the club won’t push it. Most of our players seem to come back early from injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Pity our Malaganis Edwards Johnson discount just fled to the Titans or the NRL would be in for it in the courtroom for this misjustice.

More and more i'm dialing back the care factor and enjoying the humour in supporting this club.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

roneel78 wrote: November 13, 2018, 2:45 pm Surely the NRL can put the onus back on the Raiders and say if we approve this, Rapana cannot play before round 12! Easy!

Im sure this can be done and am also sure that Raps will be back by round 7 or 8 hence the club won’t push it. Most of our players seem to come back early from injuries.

I honestly think some at the club would rather have it denied so they can chisel the chip on their shoulder a bit more.
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

edwahu wrote:
roneel78 wrote: November 13, 2018, 2:45 pm Surely the NRL can put the onus back on the Raiders and say if we approve this, Rapana cannot play before round 12! Easy!

I honestly think some at the club would rather have it denied so they can chisel the chip on their shoulder a bit more.
Yeah true and add to the ‘poor raiders’ unlucky sob story

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Johno wrote: November 13, 2018, 2:02 pm You reckon the roosters or Broncos would be denied before an operation or rehab has even commenced!!

I've not seen the NRL make a statement, formally or through a spokesman anywhere "denying" salary cap relief. I've seen a report, no quote, that the Raiders have given up on the idea of dispensation for Hingano. No statements from the NRL on Rapana. All that's happened so far is that it's pretty clear to anyone looking at the cases, that neither are going to miss 12 matches, so the rule doesn't apply.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I don't think it's clear for Rapana given 11 weeks was the earliest return and the assesment was actually 11-14 weeks.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

edwahu wrote: November 13, 2018, 4:22 pm I don't think it's clear for Rapana given 11 weeks was the earliest return and the assesment was actually 11-14 weeks.
Surely if it is 11-14 weeks we'd be able to qualify for dispensation.

Wouldn't think it particularly smart to be announcing any intention to use it until you've successfully negotiated with a replacement.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Green eyed Mick wrote: November 13, 2018, 6:09 pm
edwahu wrote: November 13, 2018, 4:22 pm I don't think it's clear for Rapana given 11 weeks was the earliest return and the assesment was actually 11-14 weeks.

Wouldn't think it particularly smart to be announcing any intention to use it until you've successfully negotiated with a replacement.
No, only if it is 12 games or more. You only also get dispensation of up to $350,000. Plus the player you recruit has to cover the position of the injured player. And if you lose a Rapana or a Hodgson, you're not recruiting much quality with $350,000. The rule is essentially... just about completely useless.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

No, only if it is 12 games or more. Plus the player you recruit has to cover the position of the injured player.
Wonder what’s stopping a team from naming a player in the same position, but actually playing them in a different role on field Image

Particularly if there’s an injury and player shuffle mid game
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Does anyone in this forum believe we have any chance of making the top 8 with a healthy side?

Sure if we pull out freakish form.. but based on consistent performance... anyway?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

benda wrote: November 14, 2018, 5:42 pm Does anyone in this forum believe we have any chance of making the top 8 with a healthy side?

Sure if we pull out freakish form.. but based on consistent performance... anyway?
Yeah sure, bottom of the 8 isn't a huge stretch for our squad. I think we have a squad around 8th in terms of abillity.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

benda wrote: November 14, 2018, 5:42 pm Does anyone in this forum believe we have any chance of making the top 8 with a healthy side?

Yep
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Yep. Paul Crawley was in the Telegraph today saying that we won't make the 8 "until we can win close games". Like all the other idjits, he doesn't see that we would win close games if we have players who do their defensive jobs properly - scoring points isn't the problem. And we've just offloaded 3 of our worst 4 defenders.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Ricky must be secretly licking his lips at this, it plays right into his playbook.

‘We lots one of our best players for 2-3 months, got no salary cap dispensation, and missed the finals in 2019. The NRL hate us, life is hard, and it’s not my fault’.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: November 13, 2018, 6:13 pm

No, only if it is 12 games or more. You only also get dispensation of up to $350,000. Plus the player you recruit has to cover the position of the injured player. And if you lose a Rapana or a Hodgson, you're not recruiting much quality with $350,000. The rule is essentially... just about completely useless.
$350k for a replacement winger is plenty. You can pick up a full time NRL standard winger for that coin. Different story if its a spine player.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Northern Raider wrote: November 15, 2018, 7:14 am

$350k for a replacement winger is plenty. You can pick up a full time NRL standard winger for that coin. Different story if its a spine player.
pretty sure 350k is the max, so you only get that if your injured player is on big coin and ruled out for a whole year, I'd say with Rapana being ruled out to round 11-14 we'll get something like 200K or just under
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

kiwi raider wrote: November 15, 2018, 7:30 am
Northern Raider wrote: November 15, 2018, 7:14 am

pretty sure 350k is the max, so you only get that if your injured player is on big coin and ruled out for a whole year, I'd say with Rapana being ruled out to round 11-14 we'll get something like 200K or just under
The way I see it the rule gives clubs space to recruit an additional fringe player who would serve as a temporary replacement while your starter is missing. Its not designed so you can replace them with another rep player. Rapana would be replaced by somebody like Oldfield, not a Josh Addo-Carr. I think that is a reasonable rule.

Realisitically you aren't going to be able to recruit an international on a one year deal at short notice anyway. Hypothetically if we were given $350k cap room to sign somebody right now to replace Rapana for half a season, who could you pick up? All first grade squads are pretty much settled for start of 2019 season.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I think the $350k is based on a million dollar contract.

I imagine we’d be looking at around half that figure for Rapana.

Although according to the Press, the NRL knocked back our compensation claim for Rapana. Surely they can’t quibble over a few weeks if he is missing an entire off season.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Coastalraider wrote:Ricky must be secretly licking his lips at this, it plays right into his playbook.

‘We lots one of our best players for 2-3 months, got no salary cap dispensation, and missed the finals in 2019. The NRL hate us, life is hard, and it’s not my fault’.
Yeah but I think most fans see this year as a make or break year regardless of these factors. No more excuses for me at least.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: November 15, 2018, 10:09 am
Coastalraider wrote:Ricky must be secretly licking his lips at this, it plays right into his playbook.

Yeah but I think most fans see this year as a make or break year regardless of these factors. No more excuses for me at least.

To be honest I saw last season as make or break. We had a great draw, and 2017 could have been a blip. It turns out 2016 was the blip, but management have seen fit to continue much of the same this year. Hopefully they now see it as make or break as well. My gut tells me regardless of the 2019 result, they will allow Ricky one more year at least, given it SEEMS they have been frontloading contracts with an aim of a heavy recruit in 2020.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BJ wrote: November 15, 2018, 9:52 am I think the $350k is based on a million dollar contract.

Although according to the Press, the NRL knocked back our compensation claim for Rapana. Surely they can’t quibble over a few weeks if he is missing an entire off season.
I have no idea what the formula is for calculating the compensation. Not too concerned either are any amount would prove useful.

What I have a massive issue with is this ridiculous 12 rounds cut off. They said Rapana is out till at least round 11. Means a better than 50% chance he will miss the 12 games. If he does then the rule may as well not exist because its impossible to say exactly when a player will return 6 months ahead of time.

Solution is simple. If the Raiders apply for cap relief under the rule then they must accept that Rapana cannot return till after round 12. If he's ready for round 11 and then back luck Raiders. He's got to sit out another week.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Given how much we rely on Leipana and Cotric to get us out of trouble and make up for the inadequacies of our halves, we are gonna miss Rapana so so so much I fear.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

If we aren't competitive in 2019 because we can't adequately cover a winger and a 3rd string 5/8th, Ricky and Don can pack up and **** off.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

BJ wrote: November 15, 2018, 9:52 am I think the $350k is based on a million dollar contract.

yeah, the 350k is the pro rata for a 1m contract including offseason. Makes it even more BS they don't include that in the missed time.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders to submit cap relief request to NRL following Rapana's surgery

The Canberra Raiders will submit a formal request to the NRL for salary cap relief next week after Jordan Rapana had shoulder surgery on Thursday.

"[Rapana] only got operated on last night so we'll have to see what the surgeon says and hopefully lodge something next week," Furner said. "Our doctor will get a report from the surgeon and put his reports together and then we'll send it to the NRL next week and see how we go. The reality is there's really no outside backs around for that value anyway. It'd be maybe guys getting squeezed out.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50g8w.html
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

So seems like we don't back end contracts. Would be interesting to know if we front end them.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

South Sydney have named 28 players for 2019 and it doesn't include winger Robert Jennings. I would take him in a heart beat. They also haven't named him as a loss, so maybe still negotiating. C'mon DFJ, we are short a FG outside back and he is quality based on 2018 form.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

RedRaider wrote: November 18, 2018, 10:38 am South Sydney have named 28 players for 2019 and it doesn't include winger Robert Jennings. I would take him in a heart beat. They also haven't named him as a loss, so maybe still negotiating. C'mon DFJ, we are short a FG outside back and he is quality based on 2018 form.
Must be still finalising contract. If he was on the open market I'd expect there to be more noise about it. Managers make sure the media is well aware if a player is chasing more coin.