Toughest preseason ever 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

boydy80
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2019

Post by boydy80 »

I don't wanna be a hater...... But Abby isn't worth the sweat on Raps #####. Surely there's no conjecture on Oldfield taking his spot..... Unless we're about to announce the shock signing of Val Holmes
Long time creeper....... First time poster
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I't's possible that before Raps injury, Raiders might've been looking to go
1. Rapana
5. Oldfield
6. Wighton

in which case Raiders might start next year with
1. Abbey
5. Oldfield
6. Wighton

I'd prefer to see Williams in the side rather than Abbey if it comes to that, but ideally we need another top 13 signing at the least
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I think unless we sign someone good late Wighton will be fullback again. If Abbey plays fullback we are in trouble.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think Sid is on the money here.

Also agree we’re in trouble though
Mr. Snrub
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Albert Fulivai

Post by Mr. Snrub »

I think things are looking very bleak for the Raiders in 2019. Williams as a permanent half is a step backward, props that are average and largely untested and the loss of Rapana the first 12 rounds, who is arguably our best player. The only positions that look solid are our back row, lock, and hooker. Backline gets a pass mark, but the halves are my biggest worry.

Seriously, unless Stuart and the Furner boys come up with a couple of surprise big-name signings, I think they're dead in the water and I think that people will start calling for Stuart's head. I'm really really hoping I'm wrong.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Mr. Snrub wrote: December 3, 2018, 1:14 pm I think things are looking very bleak for the Raiders in 2019. Williams as a permanent half is a step backward, props that are average and largely untested and the loss of Rapana the first 12 rounds, who is arguably our best player. The only positions that look solid are our back row, lock, and hooker. Backline gets a pass mark, but the halves are my biggest worry.

Seriously, unless Stuart and the Furner boys come up with a couple of surprise big-name signings, I think they're dead in the water and I think that people will start calling for Stuart's head. I'm really really hoping I'm wrong.
It doesn't look overly positive does it. Unless BJ and Croker find their 2016 form again we could be in dire trouble by the time Rapana is fit again.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Video: 2018 volunteer's brunch and Raiders training session: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/12 ... rs-brunch/

Galley at The GH Facebook Group: http://ow.ly/2qeN30mPZbK
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Mr. Snrub wrote: December 3, 2018, 1:14 pm I think things are looking very bleak for the Raiders in 2019. Williams as a permanent half is a step backward, props that are average and largely untested and the loss of Rapana the first 12 rounds, who is arguably our best player. The only positions that look solid are our back row, lock, and hooker. Backline gets a pass mark, but the halves are my biggest worry.

At least we have a good set of excuses already.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

RedRaider wrote:It's best if you continue with your Abbey amnesia PJ.

JJ Collins is about 6' tall. He is on the smaller side of front row forwards. Hopefully there is a lot of fight in the dog rather than a lot of dog in the fight props he is looking to replace.
This annoys me

What, thou must be 6'6" to be good? Look at Tilse. Complete gumby that shouldn't have played as many as he did.

Red, Boyd was 6'4 ish and 120kg. Had the turning circle of an elephant.

Size. Isn't. Everything.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

dubby wrote: December 3, 2018, 6:20 pm

JJ Collins is about 6' tall. He is on the smaller side of front row forwards. Hopefully there is a lot of fight in the dog rather than a lot of dog in the fight props he is looking to replace.
This annoys me

What, thou must be 6'6" to be good? Look at Tilse. Complete gumby that shouldn't have played as many as he did.

Size. Isn't. Everything.

Sounds like a nerves been hit here
Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

boydy80 wrote: December 3, 2018, 10:22 am But Abby isn't worth the sweat on Raps #####
In fairness, no one is
Dont delete this GE
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Give Abby a break. He's a 21-year-old who weighs about as much as Sezer and has 13 NRL appearances under his belt.

I was just looking at the thread about Liam Knight and people were bitching that a lot of fringe players weren't given a chance under Stuart. Yet, here we are saying Abby shouldn't be considered. Let him and Oldfield fight it out in pre-season games.

Let's not even think about moving Wighton to 5/8th. It took him until this year to become a decent fullback.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Video: Sezer and Abbey visit Wagga Wagga: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/12 ... gga-wagga/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders back Michael Oldfield provides update on knee injury

Versatile outside back Michael Oldfield has provided an update on how the squad have been approaching pre-season differently in 2019 as he continues his rehabilitation from a knee injury.

Video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/12 ... ee-injury/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders stars report early for NRL pre-season

Canberra stars Josh Hodgson, Whitehead and Joe Tapine are already back at Raiders headquarters for training weeks before they are due to join the main group.

"It is nice to see those boys back because everyone gets a buzz when they come back," Raiders winger Nick Cotric said. "Everyone loves those boys so it’s good to see them back at training already, I don’t think they’re meant to be back for another two weeks. They’re keen, so it’s good."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50k9k.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Nothing but admiration for the professionalism of Hodgson and Whitehead, and looks like Tapine is following in their footsteps too. This is a very good sign.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Could the Canberra Raiders Jordan Rapana salary cap relief jeopardise Michael Oldfield’s hopes of a starting spot?

With Jordan Rapana sidelined until at least round 13 after shoulder surgery, Michael Oldfield could be the man to replace one of the Raiders’ best attacking weapons. But as pre-season heats up, he’s certainly not expecting to just walk into the No.5 jumper.

“It’s obviously disappointing with Raps (Jordan Rapana) being out with his shoulder, poor bloke’s had a lot of issues with that over the years and it’s just obviously come to a very bad ending there,” he said.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 60adbbf559
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

who would posters consider the best fringe winger in the competition that won't get a starting spot next year?

If they're coming off contract at their current club at the end of 2019 they could be enticed to break contract and come to Canberra for 1+ years given they'd be guaranteed 12 games (if they remain better than Oldfield)

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Penrith seem to have extraordinary depth all over the park.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That's what happens when you keep your investment in juniors
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I don't know how he manages to keep the majority of them. He learnt a thing or two at the Roosters I guess.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders Nick Cotric and Michael Oldfield speak about the Green Machine's pre season training

The Raiders pre-season is heating up! For some this is the perfect time to impress especially with the club looking to fill the hole left by an injured Jordan Rapana, Nine News Canberra reports.

Video: http://ow.ly/Wufo30mSMCI

Video: Cotric eyeing finals in 2019: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/12 ... s-in-2019/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Looks like Jack spent those 10 weeks in the gym. Interesting to see if he busts a few more tackles next year with the added power.

Havillii doing a bit of dummy half by the look of it.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

So with Cotric staying on the wing we're:

1. Wighton
6. Williams
7. Sezer

You'd hope that Abbey is not an option to start the year. I'd rather Williams in the halves than Abbey at fullback.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

dubby wrote: December 3, 2018, 6:20 pm

This annoys me

Size. Isn't. Everything.

Dubs I don't see any call for a Tilse type in my post. In fact I was a critic of his slow lateral movement and inability to get low enough on our goal line.

The point I was making is that JJ is not large for a prop. Neither is Lui. I think the bloke with the highest average meters gained in 2018 is being shown the door. The coach gets rid of large athletic props like Vaughan. After the failure of the behemoths he has gone for smallish players in recruitment.

The team recruitment is his. He was a great attacking player and I think it carries over into his coaching. He has little idea about defence or coaching defence. To maintain the defensive pressure the players need to be fitter than they have proved in recent years. I just don't think he has many defensive coaching clues.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

I’ve been thinking about our best 17 that could run out in round 1 and there are a few options especially in relation to the make up of the bench and possibly the halves (which would impact who would wear 1 or 12)

I feel that bringing Jack to 6 would significantly weaken fullback but stiffen up our defence... Moving Whitehead to 6 would lessen his impact and I believe upset him if it were a long term move.

My 17 would be:

1. Wighton
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield
6. Williams
7. Sezer
8. Sutton
9. Hodgson
10. Papalii
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. J. Bateman

14. Havili
15. Soliola
16. Guler
17. Lui

18. Knight
19. Murchie
20. Horsburgh*

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I think that's probably how we run out in Rd 1 Dusty, barring injury in trial/s. Maybe swapping Soliola and Sutton.

Last edited by gerg on December 8, 2018, 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/12/08/sta ... -sin-bins/

Something else to work on in the off season...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Toughest preseason ever 2019

Post by Sid »

That’s not as bad a punishment as I thought it was. Seems it’s worth giving away a sin bin to save a 6 pointer

RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Sid wrote:That’s not as bad a punishment as I thought it was. Seems it’s worth giving away a sin bin to save a 6 pointer
It is harder to analyse the real impact though within regards to momentum, fatigue etc.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Even factoring that in, you had a lot of teams winning with sin binned players.

That’s why the ref crackdown is needed. Too many teams trading on the strategy of deliberate penalties, and the bin doesn’t come soon enough
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Dusty wrote: December 8, 2018, 6:48 am I’ve been thinking about our best 17 that could run out in round 1 and there are a few options especially in relation to the make up of the bench and possibly the halves (which would impact who would wear 1 or 12)

I feel that bringing Jack to 6 would significantly weaken fullback but stiffen up our defence... Moving Whitehead to 6 would lessen his impact and I believe upset him if it were a long term move.

My 17 would be:

1. Wighton
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield
6. Williams
7. Sezer
8. Sutton
9. Hodgson
10. Papalii
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. J. Bateman

14. Havili
15. Soliola
16. Guler
17. Lui

18. Knight
19. Murchie
20. Horsburgh*
The problem with that 13 is you have 1 metre maker in the front 3. J Bateman is a bulldog and Suttton is a tackler (so far).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Merry Christmas from the Canberra Raiders: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/12 ... a-raiders/
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

zim wrote:
Dusty wrote: December 8, 2018, 6:48 am I’ve been thinking about our best 17 that could run out in round 1 and there are a few options especially in relation to the make up of the bench and possibly the halves (which would impact who would wear 1 or 12)

My 17 would be:

1. Wighton
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield
6. Williams
7. Sezer
8. Sutton
9. Hodgson
10. Papalii
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. J. Bateman

14. Havili
15. Soliola
16. Guler
17. Lui

18. Knight
19. Murchie
20. Horsburgh*
The problem with that 13 is you have 1 metre maker in the front 3. J Bateman is a bulldog and Suttton is a tackler (so far).
Don't worry Ricky will get that tackler part out of his game quick smart

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman