Toughest preseason ever 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2019

Post by greeneyed »

Cut the insult trading thanks. You can make your points without them. Keep to the footy please.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

RedRaider wrote: December 7, 2018, 8:54 pm
dubby wrote: December 3, 2018, 6:20 pm
RedRaider wrote:It's best if you continue with your Abbey amnesia PJ.

JJ Collins is about 6' tall. He is on the smaller side of front row forwards. Hopefully there is a lot of fight in the dog rather than a lot of dog in the fight props he is looking to replace.
This annoys me

What, thou must be 6'6" to be good? Look at Tilse. Complete gumby that shouldn't have played as many as he did.

Red, Boyd was 6'4 ish and 120kg. Had the turning circle of an elephant.

Size. Isn't. Everything.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Dubs I don't see any call for a Tilse type in my post. In fact I was a critic of his slow lateral movement and inability to get low enough on our goal line.

The point I was making is that JJ is not large for a prop. Neither is Lui. I think the bloke with the highest average meters gained in 2018 is being shown the door. The coach gets rid of large athletic props like Vaughan. After the failure of the behemoths he has gone for smallish players in recruitment.

The team recruitment is his. He was a great attacking player and I think it carries over into his coaching. He has little idea about defence or coaching defence. To maintain the defensive pressure the players need to be fitter than they have proved in recent years. I just don't think he has many defensive coaching clues.
Ricky's teams used to be renowned for their defense...Not sure what's happened
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

I don't know if I've ever been less enthusiastic for my team. I really want rugby league back in my life, but don't know how we improve on 2018 considering the 0 good signings.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Green_Hammock wrote: December 11, 2018, 8:49 pm I don't know if I've ever been less enthusiastic for my team. I really want rugby league back in my life, but don't know how we improve on 2018 considering the 0 good signings.

New coach would help. Should have one by about Round 13.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

still reckon there are 2 signings to come. A spine player and a depth outside back.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Supershamrock
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: J Toots

Post by Supershamrock »

Sid wrote: December 12, 2018, 9:21 am still reckon there are 2 signings to come. A spine player and a depth outside back.
Do you think they're still going to happen or, just that you think we are short and need them?
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

both

There's a few reasons why I think these signings haven't happened yet
- players who Raiders have enquired about have decided to sign elsewhere or stay where they are
- still player movement happening so waiting for those to play out for a player to be squeezed out of another club
- still waiting for the Jordan Rapana money to come through

don't forget Edrick Lee was signed by sharks only 1 week before a new season began, player movements can happen all off season.

don't necessarily believe Raiders will end up with a player that'll make the Raiders a strong contender for the premiership, but will be enough to strengthen the squad to be a bit better than what it is now

just hoping that if this happens it isn't at the expense of the 2020 season and beyond title hopes where I think Raiders will have a better chance
Last edited by Sid on December 12, 2018, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fair assessments Sid.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Green_Hammock wrote: December 11, 2018, 8:49 pm I don't know if I've ever been less enthusiastic for my team. I really want rugby league back in my life, but don't know how we improve on 2018 considering the 0 good signings.

I'd consider J Bateman a good signing

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matured Josh Papalii has high hopes for Canberra Raiders

Josh Papalii is determined to avoid the same mistakes he made 12 months ago as he sets his sights on taking the Canberra Raiders "somewhere special".

"I’ve got that in the back of my mind, and I don’t want the same start to next year," Papalii said. "Hopefully that’s not the case but we’ll see how we go. We’re going good at the moment, running pretty good and I’ve been in the best shape I’ve been in for a while now.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50lou.html
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I give up a nut to be taken "somewhere special" by our side.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Even if you just look at their pre-seasons we made the better choice by keeping Papa and letting Paulo and Boyd go. Neither of those guys look like they've changed much.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

"I’m trying to help take this club somewhere special in October next year."

sounds like Papalii is in charge of Mad Monday plans.. he's not giving much away but my guess is Bali

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Gotta pay that one!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

We really need a good season. We really do.

I expect a 6-8 finish. If we can achieve that AND recruit some quality players for 2020, I think Ricky gets to hang on.

If we finish 9 or below, then it's obvious he has to go. Put him in a coordinating role, or something, he helps the club in other ways.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

So having one 6-8 finish in three years is a pass mark for you, dubs??

Gee, I wish you were MY boss!!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Why did the club want to sign Bateman to a long term deal?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: December 12, 2018, 1:09 pm Why did the club want to sign Bateman to a long term deal?
Looks like the club was putting a limit on the dollars however... as he only accepted a one year deal in a bid to prove he was worth more.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: December 12, 2018, 1:22 pm
edwahu wrote: December 12, 2018, 1:09 pm Why did the club want to sign Bateman to a long term deal?
Looks like the club was putting a limit on the dollars however... as he only accepted a one year deal in a bid to prove he was worth more.
It sounded like a Lui style deal where you wrap a guy up who ticks all the professional boxes (excellent trainers, great guys) so you can afford to buy some quality around him.
Can't see Bateman earning a better deal though. He was good off the bench when he was given a reduced role, and he defends well, but guys like Horsburgh will need to be given those spots in 2020.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote:So having one 6-8 finish in three years is a pass mark for you, dubs??

A top 8 finish AND recruit some quality players.

We really have a sucky halves combo, and zero halves depth. It could be a tough year if Sezer or Williams go down injured.

I've got more to say later.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If I had a choice between 6-8th or finishing bottom 4 but signing two rep quality players without losing anyone good, I would take the latter.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

edwahu wrote: December 12, 2018, 3:01 pm If I had a choice between 6-8th or finishing bottom 4 but signing two rep quality players without losing anyone good, I would take the latter.
Me too, it means we'd have a new coach!!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: December 12, 2018, 2:59 pm
The Nickman wrote:So having one 6-8 finish in three years is a pass mark for you, dubs??

We really have a sucky halves combo, and zero halves depth. It could be a tough year if Sezer or Williams go down injured.

Don't bother, Max.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

The Nickman wrote: December 12, 2018, 3:05 pm
edwahu wrote: December 12, 2018, 3:01 pm If I had a choice between 6-8th or finishing bottom 4 but signing two rep quality players without losing anyone good, I would take the latter.
Me too, it means we'd have a new coach!!
You keep saying that but in my experience it is peak Raiders to provide false hope with these things. You're basing your assumption on common sense which is a highly dangerous practice!

We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Logically - we simply do not have the halves to take us into the finals and that is the overarching point. One could argue we pay have gained a bit in forwards with our signings.

I guess the strategy is - train hard, focus on the 1 percenters and improve our D.

There has been rumors that we could sign Townsend - and i think he is exactly the type of half we need.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

benda wrote:Logically - we simply do not have the halves to take us into the finals and that is the overarching point. One could argue we pay have gained a bit in forwards with our signings.

I guess the strategy is - train hard, focus on the 1 percenters and improve our D.

There has been rumors that we could sign Townsend - and i think he is exactly the type of half we need.
What a time to be alive....we're looking at Chad **** Townsend to guide us into the light.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Well at least his hair is impressive

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote:
dubby wrote: December 12, 2018, 2:59 pm

Don't bother, Max.
I won't, if it means you stop bagging the coach.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders forward Josh Papalii misses his honeymoon to get back into preseason training, while Luke Bateman invigorated by the challenge of a one year contract

Canberra Raiders forward Luke Bateman says he's already starting to see the benefits of his decision to turn down a long-term contract in favour of a one year extension.

The 23-year-old is hopeful the move will help inspire him to put in his strongest season yet, WIN News reports.

Video: http://ow.ly/BfkH30mXdlI

Video: Josh Papalii: "I didn't have a honeymoon": https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/12 ... honeymoon/
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

I see somebody on Titans forum asked whether Boyd has a chronic injury after he missed training.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders Luke Bateman aiming to nail down regular starting spot

Raiders forward Luke Bateman is looking to shore up a regular starting spot in the Raiders 2019 squad but admits that competition is rife within the playing group.

Video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/12 ... ting-spot/

Training Gallery: Pre-Season Week 7: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/12 ... on-week-7/
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: December 13, 2018, 8:13 pm VIDEO: Canberra Raiders Luke Bateman aiming to nail down regular starting spot

Raiders forward Luke Bateman is looking to shore up a regular starting spot in the Raiders 2019 squad but admits that competition is rife within the playing group.

Training Gallery: Pre-Season Week 7: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/12 ... on-week-7/
Won't be happening !!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

edwahu wrote:Why did the club want to sign Bateman to a long term deal?
Something like this:

Let's say the club offered Luke $250k per season for 3 seasons.

Luke wants more. He thinks he's worth $300k. So, he says thanks but no thanks. I'll show you what I'm worth.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders forward Josh Papalii confident team mate Jack Wighton's 'dark cloud' passed

Having been in a similar place himself, Josh Papalii is confident Jack Wighton's "dark cloud" has passed and he urges the fullback to focus on what he does best - playing football.

"Like I said before with my stuff going on, it's in the past now and all he can do now is focus on representing the club and his family to the best of his ability. For all the dark cloud around Jack it's definitely passed now and he's looking forward to the future."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50i39.html
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

greeneyed wrote: December 13, 2018, 8:13 pm VIDEO: Canberra Raiders Luke Bateman aiming to nail down regular starting spot

:shock: :o :doubt: :( :nooo :cool: :) :D :woot: :lol: :roflmao