Is Jack Wighton the answer in the Canberra Raiders halves jigsaw puzzle?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

All the talk's about New Zealand halfback Shaun Johnson, but is the Canberra Raiders' halves answer already in Canberra? Could Raiders fullback Jack Wighton make a return to the five-eighth role he held at the start of the 2014 NRL season?

"I've got no doubt Jack can play five-eighth and I'd be his No.1 fan if he went there," Jarrod Croker said. "He's definitely talented enough and if we talk about being the best defensive side, Jack's probably one of the better defenders. I'm sure he'd do a great job there. Whether he goes there or not, I'm not too sure.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 504o3.html
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Only if we can sign a gun fullback... if not leave him there and get S. Johnson

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Re: Is Jack Wighton the answer in the Canberra Raiders halves jigsaw puzzle?

Post by chris83 »

If so then sign a quality fullback, dont stuff around with rapa or cotric,
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Tapine

Post by JezTez1984 »

Dusty wrote: November 2, 2018, 6:09 pm Only if we can sign a gun fullback... if not leave him there and get S. Johnson

Only reason I wouldn't move Raps or Cotric would be to keep the current combos together of Leipana and Cotric/Toots.
Based on talent alone, I would love to have either of them at the back.
Rapana has shown he is an incredible fullback capable of turning a game on its head.
Cotric would be a bit more of an apprenticeship but could become an elite fullback one day if given the time to shine.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Alan Tongue is a lovely bloke... but suggesting Brad Abbey is a first grade fullback... "playing so well at fullback" I think he said... he's the king of wishful thinking.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

It's annoying when the media talks about Sam Williams being an option as a first choice half. He is clearly here as a back up half.

If we do go in to 2019 with him as a starting half, then we are in serious trouble. I don't know if I can survive a second round of the McCrone era, playing a NSW cup standard half week after week.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Not sure what games Tonguey was watching....
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

If they plan to play him at 5/8 then he better be spending a lot of pre-season there. There's an argument for doing that anyway just to help our depth for this year. We don't want a repeat of something like training Hingano as a playmaker then playing him as a hooker at the last moment.

Likewise either Cotric or Rapana should be putting a lot of time in at fullback so if Wighton has to move at some point we can more easily slot in Oldfield instead of Abbey.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Etteridge's Law applies
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Bay 67
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Elliot Whitehead

Post by Bay 67 »

I do enjoy how when we keep asking the same questions, we come up with the same answer in spite of evidence to the contrary. Is Wighton a half at NRL level? Can you turn a half into a hooker overnight? Why can't we win close games?
Raiders Lime, what they really drink in the dressing room.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

reptar wrote:Etteridge's Law applies
Somebody bring me some water?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

reptar wrote: November 3, 2018, 5:23 am Etteridge's Law applies
Betteridge’s?
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

greeneyed wrote:
reptar wrote: November 3, 2018, 5:23 am Etteridge's Law applies
Betteridge’s?
That's the one!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I think we could move Cotric, Rapa or Croker to fullback and be stronger with Wighton at number 6.

There are pros and cons of moving any of them but, I'd like the club to sort out the roster reasonably soon. Stability is important for building cohesion, especially when it is perhaps multiple spine positions changing.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

No. I hope this helps.

A genuine first grade half would be the answer to the raiders jigsaw puzzle. Not a centre turned fullback turned five eighth.

If Jack gets shifted again, I actually feel for the bloke (as a footballer). He could have been a long term origin centre by now if he played for a Sydney team, but he seems like he will spend his whole career plugging gaps in areas we can’t fill with genuine recruits at the raiders.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

As the squad stands, Wighton is our first choice fullback. Whatever the combination, I'd prefer having Sam Williams in the team over Abbey or Oldfield.

Wighton was generally excellent at the back during his limited time on the park. If he didn't act like a complete dead head off the park then we may well have pushed for a finals spot after Hodgo returned.

Anyhoo...history states otherwise.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Wighton is not a half. When has has a good day he is a good fullback but consistency seems a problem and I don’t think he will ever be remembered as an outstanding player. I love his ability to put a shot on but his positional play around goal line defence is poor. He’s a solid performer but he isn’t the star Ricky wishes he could be. I would have parted ways with him earlier this year.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Billy Walker wrote: November 7, 2018, 8:46 am Wighton is not a half. When has has a good day he is a good fullback but consistency seems a problem and I don’t think he will ever be remembered as an outstanding player. I love his ability to put a shot on but his positional play around goal line defence is poor. He’s a solid performer but he isn’t the star Ricky wishes he could be. I would have parted ways with him earlier this year.
I can't agree with the notion that Wighton's goal line defence is poor. He is constantly covering for poor defenders on the goal line which can put him out of position. I remember this area being one of his few strengths as a fullback when he first started playing in the position and it has slipped over time with our team's sub-par defensive efforts.

I would have been more inclined to agree with your statement at the end of the 2017 season but he was one of our better players in 2018 before he copped his ban.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

14 November sentencing date. Then we'll get the court of public opinion having their say after the footage is released. Clock is ticking...
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Can the NRL impose further punishment after the footage is released? I would’ve thought not.

However if there is gaol time things change

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Dusty wrote: November 8, 2018, 4:23 pm Can the NRL impose further punishment after the footage is released? I would’ve thought not.

However if there is gaol time things change

I'm entirely certain the NRL will make up whatever rule they feel like, whenever they want.

They can make an example of Wighton with absoltely zero consequences.

However, his biggest challenge will be the backlash from the general public and, by extension, the club sponsors. He'd be a pretty nervous boy right about now methinks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The NRL has seen the CCTV footage in determining their punishment. There is no way they're changing their punishment. In addition, given the way the legal/court system operates, I would be absolutely stunned if Jack Wighton's punishment involved any sort of detention.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

His prospects of rehabilitation would be considered strong and the risk of re-offending would be considered very low. He is not going to prison and he shouldn't be going to prison. It would be a waste of tax payers money.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, it's likely to be some degree of community service - but anything could happen if the footage is released for the general public to comment.

After witnessing the absolute circus that was the Joel Monaghan story, the club will be under a lot of pressure to hold their line if they want to retain him.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

In my quest to turn every thread into a brutal sledging match against the NRL administration i'll jump in with the others suggesting that the NRL will likely take 2 bites at punishing Jack. The public will react and the NRL will want to prove who is boss. The usual circumstance applies here, how many people outside of Raiders fans would even know (or remember) that the NRL stood him down for 10 matches last season? There will be an outcry that the guy should be punished from all sections of the RL community without any acknowledgement that they've already sanctioned him and I don't trust the NRL to convey the message that he's already sat out half a year of football which is sufficient punishment for the offence they saw footage of.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If it happens Woodgers... the Raiders would have every right to challenge the NRL in court IMO.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I think they would have every other club CEO that isn't reliant on NRL loans backing them as well.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Woodgers wrote: November 9, 2018, 10:11 am In my quest to turn every thread into a brutal sledging match against the NRL administration i'll jump in with the others suggesting that the NRL will likely take 2 bites at punishing Jack. The public will react and the NRL will want to prove who is boss. The usual circumstance applies here, how many people outside of Raiders fans would even know (or remember) that the NRL stood him down for 10 matches last season? There will be an outcry that the guy should be punished from all sections of the RL community without any acknowledgement that they've already sanctioned him and I don't trust the NRL to convey the message that he's already sat out half a year of football which is sufficient punishment for the offence they saw footage of.
Yep. There are no rules here. The NRL can just make it up as they go.
bleedgreen99
Brett Mullins

Post by bleedgreen99 »

Woodgers wrote: November 9, 2018, 10:11 am In my quest to turn every thread into a brutal sledging match against the NRL administration i'll jump in with the others suggesting that the NRL will likely take 2 bites at punishing Jack. The public will react and the NRL will want to prove who is boss. The usual circumstance applies here, how many people outside of Raiders fans would even know (or remember) that the NRL stood him down for 10 matches last season? There will be an outcry that the guy should be punished from all sections of the RL community without any acknowledgement that they've already sanctioned him and I don't trust the NRL to convey the message that he's already sat out half a year of football which is sufficient punishment for the offence they saw footage of.
Outcry, no outcry? Which is it. If no one cared before why would they care post sentencing... And yeh the NRL is a circus but I hardly think they’d punish someone twice for the one offence. Jack has paid his on field dues and in a few days will have his off field paid up too, his only concerns from then on should and will be footy
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

bleedgreen99 wrote: November 11, 2018, 8:15 am
Outcry, no outcry? Which is it. If no one cared before why would they care post sentencing... And yeh the NRL is a circus but I hardly think they’d punish someone twice for the one offence. Jack has paid his on field dues and in a few days will have his off field paid up too, his only concerns from then on should and will be footy
yep, that is exactly how this will play out. Nailed it.
Dont delete this GE