All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Canberra Raiders 2019 squad

Post by zim »

Put on a fair bit of size 2017 -> 2018. Be interesting to see how he turns out for Mounties.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

What's the story with Hudson Young?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: December 17, 2018, 6:55 pm What's the story with Hudson Young?
He was playing Jersey Flegg last year. He's 20 years of age. Second rower. Good prospect.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Thanks!

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
T_R wrote: December 17, 2018, 6:55 pm What's the story with Hudson Young?
He was playing Jersey Flegg last year. He's 20 years of age. Second rower. Good prospect.
Another Second rower. Looking at that top 30 you could genuinely claim 10 are predominantly second rowers or at least that is their best position.

Edit: backrowers.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

We are curry going into 2019 in a worse position than we have been in squad wise for 3-4 years.

We have lost 2 starting props, a starting half, and 2 depth props. We have 1 winger and our depth half on long term injuries.

Bateman is a good signing, I’ll pay that. Our replacement prop recruiting is a player who came off the bench in the UK, and a fringe player from the knights. We have not added any depth in the backs. We have not replaced either our departing starting half, or added depth when Hingano got injured, in fact, we have just released our development half.

Unless something happens with our roster prior to the season start, I think we may be fighting hard to ACCO is the spoon this year, I can’t think of many squads that have regressed like we have - but that may be the catalyst to finally make some changes.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I think if you look at the contributions of the players that have gone we haven't regressed on the field. I think we have a lower ceiling now but also less obvious problems.

Rapanas injury hurts more than the losses.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

Coastalraider wrote:We are curry going into 2019 in a worse position than we have been in squad wise for 3-4 years.

We have lost 2 starting props, a starting half, and 2 depth props. We have 1 winger and our depth half on long term injuries.

Bateman is a good signing, I’ll pay that. Our replacement prop recruiting is a player who came off the bench in the UK, and a fringe player from the knights. We have not added any depth in the backs. We have not replaced either our departing starting half, or added depth when Hingano got injured, in fact, we have just released our development half.

Unless something happens with our roster prior to the season start, I think we may be fighting hard to ACCO is the spoon this year, I can’t think of many squads that have regressed like we have - but that may be the catalyst to finally make some changes.
Can't agree more. 2019 is looking very bleak to me.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Green_Hammock wrote:
Coastalraider wrote:We are curry going into 2019 in a worse position than we have been in squad wise for 3-4 years.

Can't agree more. 2019 is looking very bleak to me.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
The squad has gone backwards, no question.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I think we're tanking to get some good picks in the draft.

Smart operator is RStuart.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sthsea22
Terry Campese

Post by Sthsea22 »

greeneyed wrote: December 17, 2018, 2:11 pm Dean Matterson is the nephew of Terry Matterson, and the brother of Ryan Matterson. He was with the Roosters last year and he shifted to the Sea Eagles mid season. Played junior reps with the Parramatta Eels and appeared at five eighth in their narrow 20-18 2017 NYC Grand Final loss to the Manly Sea Eagles.

He's aged 21, born 20 November 1997, and made 10 appearances for the Wyong Roos ISP team last year, mostly playing five eighth, but also at centre. After his mid season shift to the Manly Sea Eagles he played six matches for Blacktown.

Last year, he scored five tries, produced seven try assists, four line break assists and three offloads, forced two line drop outs and averaged 63 kicking metres. He averaged 54 running metres and made a total of 861 running metres. He had an 85.2 per cent tackle efficiency rate: http://ow.ly/6ANF30n0zXx

Was playing with his brother Ryan at the Roosters: https://www.roosters.com.au/news/2018/0 ... attersons/

Looks like a decent backup at 3 positions (5/8, Centre, Wing)
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

-PJ- wrote: December 18, 2018, 8:03 am I think we're tanking to get some good picks in the draft.

Smart operator is RStuart.
Worked for the Knights
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

I can see why people would think this but in getting rid of our 2 props and a half we actually got rid of what seemed to be our biggest issues last year, tiring overpaid props who were not making an impact and getting caught out in defence, especially while at marker and blake was an absolute shocker reading opposition attack and let in try after try. We just lose Roach but added Matterson who is older and with more experience, is also bigger so that's a small plus in my eyes and O'Hagan came on pretty good to play a lot of Mounties last year when he is eligible to play 20's.

We have more than 1 winger, we have Cotric and Oldfield and we have a few that would do an alright job also if need be while we wait for rapana to come back, we just added another one who looks promising with skill, speed and good size.

Sutton came off the bench yeah but for the premiers, and always played big minutes, coming off the bench means nothing really. he looked good especially in defence from what I’ve seen, he will improve loads with a good off season to trim down and get fitter.

We would all have loved to sign a Johnson etc but I still don't think this team is in that bad of shape really.

Time will tell.
raider 4 life
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

On paper we have gone backwards purely because Paulo and Boyd were overrated by us. The game is about fast, mobile forwards who hit the line at pace, get up, and play the ball. For the 8 hitups those boys could do, the extra 2-3 metres they made was completely nullified by the fact they'd get wrestled onto their back and take a wet weekend to get up and play it.

I for one am sick of being called the Faiders, our "biggest pack ever" strategy has proven time and time again to be out-rated, and a huge part of that has been a lack of mobility and lateral movement in the ruck in the last 20 minutes of the games.

We won't win the comp this year, but we'll sure as **** "fade" less.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

30 spots
27 players
22 with NRL experience plus one quality international player
2 middle to long-term injuries

That leaves 21 fit NRL level players for Round One. 5 of those have not much to very little experience: Abbey (13 games), Collins (15), Murchie (2), Guler (3), Hunt (1), and of them only Guler has shown the potential to make a meaningful contribution next year.

No fit players to cover our weakest position: halves.

No cover for hooker/utility.

Geez, I hope we use those three remaining spots really, really well or 2019 will be Struggle Town.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

Edit: My summary brushes over Sutton who I hope is NRL level. Still, my overall summary is the same.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Ruben Daley wrote:Edit: My summary brushes over Sutton who I hope is NRL level. Still, my overall summary is the same.
He couldn't get a start in England.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Our backline depth is my biggest concern. Half our squad (literally) could cover any injuries to the back row but our only 'decent' depth/backup for the backline is already being called upon (Oldfield) to cover for Rapana. We have an injury in the backs, or two, we are screwed.

Our 5/8 had hammy troubles late last season and our centre has had knee trouble for two years.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

T_R wrote: December 19, 2018, 7:30 am
Ruben Daley wrote:Edit: My summary brushes over Sutton who I hope is NRL level. Still, my overall summary is the same.
He couldn't get a start in England.
I wouldn't read that as a reflection on his abillity, he played the most minutes out of their props.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

And has started plenty of his 120 ESL games from what I know. I’m not expecting a world beater in fact there is every chance he will struggle.

But 120 first grade games as a 23 yo prop at a good club is not to be sneezed at imo. If anything he’ll be tough for mine.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Jarrod Croker just announced on Instagram that he and Hodgo will be co captains in 2019. Not sure if it's been reported anywhere else

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

So I think there is going to be a few changes this year. I wouldn’t be surprised if we line up like this with Rapana being out

1. Wighton
2. Croker
3. Bateman
4. Leilua
5. Cotric
6. Sezar
7. Williams
8. Guler
9. Hodgson
10. Soliola
11. Whitehead
12. Tapine
13. Papalii

14. Havilii
15. Lui
16. L Bateman
17. JJ Collins

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Too many Batemans and too many Batemans at centre.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Canberra Raiders 2019 squad

Post by LastRaider »

greeneyed wrote:Too many Batemans and too many Batemans at centre.
Bateman (English one) has been playing centre in Super League and for England. I can’t see Stuart changing this.

I’m not a fan of Luke Bateman at all. I want him gone but I know Stuart will start him. He just will!

Last edited by LastRaider on December 20, 2018, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I can never see Ricky playing Croker on the wing..ever.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

-PJ- wrote:I can never see Ricky playing Croker on the wing..ever.
I wouldn’t say never. I think it will be on the cards, we have lots of strong options now for that position

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

LastRaider wrote: December 20, 2018, 6:24 pm
-PJ- wrote:I can never see Ricky playing Croker on the wing..ever.
I wouldn’t say never. I think it will be on the cards, we have lots of strong options now for that position

I'm still saying never..
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

LastRaider wrote: December 20, 2018, 6:20 pm
greeneyed wrote:Too many Batemans and too many Batemans at centre.
Bateman (English one) has been playing centre in Super League and for England. I can’t see Stuart changing this.

I’m not a fan of Luke Bateman at all. I want him gone but I know Stuart will start him. He just will!

I'm very l aware he's played at centre. He has played 10 of 15 games for England at centre, but it is certainly not his best position IMO, which was shown in the 2017 World Cup. He's now reverted to second row for England.

He has played only 25 of his 126 games for Wigan at centre. He played none of his 35 games for Bradford at centre.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

-PJ- wrote: December 20, 2018, 6:21 pm I can never see Ricky playing Croker on the wing..ever.
We will have three centres so he can name him co-centre.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Jack Wighton doing a bit oh of kicking in the latest pre season photos.
Have a feeling he will he the number 6.
Geez it will be a long year.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

1. Wighton
2. Oldfield
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Cotric
6. Sezar
7. Williams
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Sutton
11. Whitehead
12. Tapine
13. J Bateman

14. Havilii
15. Lui
16. Soliola
17. Guler

Is how I would name the team game one.

Havilii could cover 8,9,10,11,12 and 13

J Bateman and Whitehead could cover 3 and 4

Croker could cover wing.

Cotrick could cover 1

Hodgson, Wighton and Whitehead could cover the halves.

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

edwahu wrote: December 20, 2018, 8:19 pm
-PJ- wrote: December 20, 2018, 6:21 pm I can never see Ricky playing Croker on the wing..ever.
We will have three centres so he can name him co-centre.
:lol:
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

1. Wighton (obviously this would depend on where he has been spending his pre-season)
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield
6. Sezer
7. Williams
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Soliola
11. Bateman
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

14. Havili
15. Lui
16. Sutton
17. Guler
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

Got it on very good authority that Papa to prop and J. Bateman to lock is on.

Papa will mean we have a dynamic, line-breaking/try threat option in the front-row for the first time in ages. Will also make us way more defensively mobile.

I still think we need a guy in the Guler-Sutton-Hunt category to lift in order to give us true depth but it’s a potentially very strong pack.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Wonder how many minutes we’ll get from papa at the front. 60?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine